ADVERTISEMENT

Reese Taylor in the portal

This one surprises me.
I think this makes complete sense. He is going into his last year and he's still just a nickel back. With Jaylin Williams and Mullin returning, not to mention the additions we've added and Monster returning, his PT wasn't going to grow on trees, you know? It definitely hurts our depth and his leadership, he's good but I can understand his thought process.

I think this makes complete sense. He is going into his last year and he's still just a nickel back. With Jaylin Williams and Mullin returning, not to mention the additions we've added and Monster returning, his PT wasn't going to grow on trees, you know? It definitely hurts our depth and his leadership, he's good but I can understand his thought process.
He was 2nd CB from the beginning this year right? He’s not quite as good as Jaylin in coverage, but he was a better blitzed and run support.

At worst, he was going to be seriously in the rotation. So I’m fairly surprised but not terribly disheartened considering I’m super comfortable with Tiawan and Jaylin at 1 & 2 with Sanguinetti and Pierre at 3 & 4 plus Trevell who I assume will also be outstanding sooner than later. I’d still be more comfortable knowing we had him.

He was 2nd CB from the beginning this year right? He’s not quite as good as Jaylin in coverage, but he was a better blitzed and run support.

At worst, he was going to be seriously in the rotation. So I’m fairly surprised but not terribly disheartened considering I’m super comfortable with Tiawan and Jaylin at 1 & 2 with Sanguinetti and Pierre at 3 & 4 plus Trevell who I assume will also be outstanding sooner than later. I’d still be more comfortable knowing we had him.
For sure. There is no addition by subtraction here, by any means. He was a dynamic nickel corner and in that capacity, was one of the better ones in the B1G. But if his real goal this season is the NFL, I can understand feeling he's better served going somewhere else.

Like you said, we'll be good either way.

Good luck to him.
I remember his freshman year we had three QBs and when the one guy (I forget his name) was not named the starter, he quit. That made us use Reese as the third QB and he lost defensive playing time and film room time.
Dawkins.

But it wasn’t til Penix had his injury that Reese was pulled from the field because I think Dawkins quit before the first game was even played if I recall correctly.

I remember his freshman year we had three QBs and when the one guy (I forget his name) was not named the starter, he quit. That made us use Reese as the third QB and he lost defensive playing time and film room time.
Dawkins.

But it wasn’t til Penix had his injury that Reese was pulled from the field because I think Dawkins quit before the first game was even played if I recall correctly.
We all remember it a bit differently because I recall he was a WR as a frosh but then got sat down when MP went down in case we needed him as backup QB to Ramsey (who was also injured quite a bit). Then after his frosh year he went on D permanently.

Edit: Season stats for 2018 were 28 catches and 15 rushes (end arounds and reverses mostly) to go with 7 tackles. Those stats would have made him one of our best WR this season.

Last edited:
Just a nickle back? What do you mean? I never got that impression. Are you saying you think Williams is better?

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13
Just a nickle back? What do you mean? I never got that impression. Are you saying you think Williams is better?
That means a lot of things but if there are 3 receivers on the field, he is covering the #3 receiver if that tells you anything.

Jaylin Williams was 2nd team All-B1G. So no, I'm not saying that, the coaches and media are. But regardless, I don't think Taylor was that far off of Jaylin and I think we can all agree that Taylor is more versatile so its a hit. But we have really good depth at that position, so its not devastating by any means.

Me as well. He had a good opportunity next season.
Best I can figure is he wanted to go somewhere and be the man. He was always going to be 2nd to Tiawan here, but no shame in that.

And with modern spread offenses, it wasn't like he and Jaylin weren't both on the field at the same time a lot. And I imagine he'd still be returning punts. Just don't get it.

But he gave 4 years to IU, including a freshman season that was a boondoggle because of Penix getting hurt after Dawkins left and him becoming backup QB by default, so no reps doing anything else after that. So best of luck to him and I hope he does enough to get an NFL shot.

Best I can figure is he wanted to go somewhere and be the man. He was always going to be 2nd to Tiawan here, but no shame in that.

And with modern spread offenses, it wasn't like he and Jaylin weren't both on the field at the same time a lot. And I imagine he'd still be returning punts. Just don't get it.

But he gave 4 years to IU, including a freshman season that was a boondoggle because of Penix getting hurt after Dawkins left and him becoming backup QB by default, so no reps doing anything else after that. So best of luck to him and I hope he does enough to get an NFL shot.
I don't know. Seems to me that being on the field with an all america like Mullen gives him a great opportunity to shine by owning the second option receivers/backs. If being THE guy is his goal, then pu might be a good place for him.

Best of luck.

Reactions: vesuvius13
IU has had 15+ student-athletes enter the portal and another 15+ who have exhausted eligibility. With so many new faces next year, what are your expectations for IU football?

Going off your previous posts, your an obnoxious PU fan. So you're looking to troll. Why are you so bored?

To answer your question, its all about putting the best roster together and as PU is well versed in, you need luck when it comes to team health. We were 2-10 and 90% of the players who have left didn't see the field. If you didn't see the field for a 2-10 team, I can confidently say we have gained far better talent than we have lost.

Going off your previous posts, your an obnoxious PU fan. So you're looking to troll. Why are you so bored?

To answer your question, its all about putting the best roster together and as PU is well versed in, you need luck when it comes to team health. We were 2-10 and 90% of the players who have left didn't see the field. If you didn't see the field for a 2-10 team, I can confidently say we have gained far better talent than we have lost.
Don't feed them. The puers are melting down over IU's class not falling apart. Entertaining to say the least.

I really liked this guy over the past few years. Going from a great HS QB to a really good CB is pretty rare. He seemed to tackle well too. I don’t know if he was the #2 or #3 CB but either way, he was a really good player.
Agreed. Hate he thinks about leaving. Very good run support besides proven coverage quality. With Tiawan's brother only weighing 146 we need size like a seasoned Reece in the D back field. He'll be hard pressed to find a better CB coach also. I obviously don't know all about this as Taylor does but I think he needs to think about this again.

So that's your expectation for next season, a better roster?

Reactions: DAG10
I support Reese if he transfers anywhere but Purdue. If he does, that makes three guys that shouldn't be invited to the bowl reunions.

My take on the situation is that it's no wonder Indiana has come out flat and underachieved during all four of CTA's Bucket games when multiple players transfer to Purdue. Clearly, not enough is being done to highlight that rivalry. An Indiana player may grow to dislike their position coach, head coach, or their playing time, but they should leave with an intense hatred of Purdue. Otherwise, ALL collegiality is lost and this sport means nothing.

I support Reese if he transfers anywhere but Purdue. If he does, that makes three guys that shouldn't be invited to the bowl reunions.

My take on the situation is that it's no wonder Indiana has come out flat and underachieved during all four of CTA's Bucket games when multiple players transfer to Purdue. Clearly, not enough is being done to highlight that rivalry. An Indiana player may grow to dislike their position coach, head coach, or their playing time, but they should leave with an intense hatred of Purdue. Otherwise, ALL collegiality is lost and this sport means nothing.
Unfortunately, I think you are on the right path with collegiality and sports not meaning as much . In the new world of NIL and portals, it’s mostly about “me”, sadly.

After PU faked COVID last year so they didn't have to play IU.
Actually, Purdue gave Indiana 2 opportunities to play, and, the issue was on that side...incredibly. Even in Indinia's greatest season in modern times, they STILL did not beat Purdue.

Epic reality check this year...just as so many other than those that are delusional here had anticipated and predicted...ending the season in fitting form with Indinia winless (again) in conference play, winless against P5 opponents...and, literally gagging the Bucket back up to its rightful owners.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT