ADVERTISEMENT

Hmmmmm....

I am not looking to be negative here, because I am extremely excited and optimistic about what CCC is going to bring to the program. However, I am growing I will little bit more concerned with the proclivity to dip into small colleges for our defensive backs. This guy looks good, and I won’t complain until I play on the field a reason to do so. I just have a hard time believing that all of these guys are big 10 caliber players. Lord do I hope that you all have some delicious crow recipes to serve me next fall.

I am not looking to be negative here, because I am extremely excited and optimistic about what CCC is going to bring to the program. However, I am growing I will little bit more concerned with the proclivity to dip into small colleges for our defensive backs. This guy looks good, and I won’t complain until I play on the field a reason to do so. I just have a hard time believing that all of these guys are big 10 caliber players. Lord do I hope that you all have some delicious crow recipes to serve me next fall.
I really want to believe that Coach Cignetti and his staff are better evaluators of talent than we are. Even at that, if you think about it, a lot of the kids that we recruit, and come here, really would’ve been much better off had they went the mid major route. What I do love about JMU transfers coming here, is that they know his system already. And, they should be able to help their teammates as a result of that.

The Old Dominion safeties looked pretty darn good at the spring game. as did most of the other transfers that played. You know who didn't look good? A lot of the guys we have back from last year.

I really want to believe that Coach Cignetti and his staff are better evaluators of talent than we are. Even at that, if you think about it, a lot of the kids that we recruit, and come here, really would’ve been much better off had they went the mid major route. What I do love about JMU transfers coming here, is that they know his system already. And, they should be able to help their teammates as a result of that.
I’m a firm believer that a team made of G5 stars would be able to compete with any P4 team in the country.

I also don’t believe that any single G5 school could have that many kids that fit the description.

Thats not to say they may not be better than what we’ve got, but I’m not betting the farm on it.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Has anyone counted the number of transfers we got from g5 and number from p5?

I would guess less than 25% came from g5 schools (when looking at entire roster) but the g5 players were likely among the best on their team so I would be surprised if they ended up being the weakest players on the team.

Given that ccc2.0 prioritizes transfers with playing experience, we will likely continue to bring in the g5 all stars to fill the roster.

Last edited:
Gerry Faust was a proven winner. That is why Notre Dame hired him.

I know a man whose crow pie is quite well known, second only to his wife’s hair pie, served with a toothpick and coming with a wet wipe.

How much of this is money?

Cignetti and staff early were able to lure some players you'd think would be desired, Rourke, Price, a few others. But immediately grabbed many from G5 competition.
Initially, that's fine as they had to work really fast.
Get guys who know your system, fill out the roster before many of the others are gone. All good.

But we don't seem to be very persuasive now. But are the good players who are still available weighing the highest bid as teams get desperate? Or are they all signed up and everybody will be more fringe? I suppose that's a lot of it.
I'm sure we have decent NIL, but not to turn over half the roster or more. Maybe it'll be better in future years after a track record.

I don't want us to be sleazy sales types, want honesty toward recruits. But, hoping to see strong persuasive skills shown by the staff before the portal closes. Making it not all about money.

I don’t believe for a second Coach Cig isn’t bringing guys here he believes can make this team better. James Madison would have killed us this year, where did our guys come from?

The Old Dominion safeties looked pretty darn good at the spring game. as did most of the other transfers that played. You know who didn't look good? A lot of the guys we have back from last year.
Love hearing that and my reaction is admittedly knee jerk without the benefit of having seen them play. These were the responses I hoped my comment would elicit. Again, I am excited and confident in CCC, but I had to acknowledge a growing concern. Thanks for the perspective!

We would have been middle of the pack. With this coaching staff.
Not worse than JMU. Maybe not better.

I'm glad to hear the JMU talent and other Sun Belt level looked good in the spring game. I wasn't there. I thought it looked like a step down from P5 on tv. Glad I'm wrong.

I trust the staff!

Last edited:
I’m a firm believer that a team made of G5 stars would be able to compete with any P4 team in the country.

I also don’t believe that any single G5 school could have that many kids that fit the description.

Thats not to say they may not be better than what we’ve got, but I’m not betting the farm on it.
Run of the mill (non-All Star) G5 teams can and do beat P5 teams. Maybe not the best, but they are wins we would take. For example, last year South Alabama beat Oklahoma State, Fresno State beat Purdue & Arizona State, Texas State beat Baylor, Ohio beat Iowa State, UNLV beat Vanderbilt, Wyoming beat Texas Tech. I think these were all road games for the G5 teams which make the wins more notable.

If you can get enough strong B5 talent, combined with experience and the right mindset, you can win some games. Will it be enough to compete with OSU & Michigan? We'll see.

Has anyone counted the number of transfers we got from g5 and number from p5?

I would guess less than 25% came from g5 schools (when looking at entire roster) but the g5 players were likely among the best on their team so I would be surprised if they ended up being the weakest players on the team.

Given that ccc2.0 prioritizes transfers with playing experience, we will likely continue to bring in the g5 all stars to fill the roster.
Justice Ellison (Wake Forest) P5
Kurtis Rourke (Ohio) G5
Trey Wedig (Wisconsin) P5
Miles Cross (Ohio) G5
Myles Price (Texas Tech) P5
Ke’Shawn Williams (Wake Forest) P5
Mikail Kamara (James Madison) P5
Ty Son Lawton (James Madison) P5
Mark Langston (Georgia Southern) G5
Derek McCormick (Louisiana Monroe) G5
Nick Kidwell (James Madison) G5
Aiden Fisher (James Madison) G5
Zach Horton (James Madison) G5
James Carpenter (James Madison) G5
Jailin Walker (James Madison) G5
Kaelon Black (James Madison) G5
Tyler Stephens (James Madison) G5
Shawn Asbury (Old Dominion) G5
Terry Jones (Old Dominion) G5
Elijah Green (North Carolina) P5
Elijah Sarratt (James Madison) G5
Jayden McDonald (Troy) G5
Cedarius Doss (Austin Peay) FCS

Only 5/23 transfers this cycle have been from P5 schools. 18 is already over a fifth of the teams scholarships so G5 transfers are a heavy amount. Pre-2024 transfers that are P5 are Tayven Jackson (Tennessee), EJ Williams (Clemson), Andison Coby (Tennessee), Bradley Archer (Stanford), Drew Evans (Wisconsin), Noah Bolticoff (TCU), Robby Harrison, (Arizona State), Lanell Carr (West Virginia), Marcus Burris (Texas A&M), Jacob Mangum-Farrar (Stanford), Jamier Johnson (Texas), Nic Toomer (Stanford), Kobee Minor (Texas Tech), and I'll count JoJo Johnson as he went Notre Dame -> Iowa Western C.C. -> Indiana. 14 P5 guys and a few from G5 or lower. So out of the 40 or so transfers on the roster, more than half are from the G5. I trust in Cigs and staff coaching abilities so I trust they'll turn these G5 proven commodities into solid players but I'd like to see some of these cast offs from bigger programs get a look. McCorkle's commitment really makes me feel good about Cigs recruiting after being skeptical this transfer cycle.

I will never forget Appalachian State going into Ann Arbor for 2007 opening game in front of 100,000 Wolverines fans. Michigan was ranked number 5 preseason and there was no betting line for the game.

We all know what happened. And that is why I will try to keep my yap shut until after CCC’s first game.

If we hired a Lloyd Carr I'll switch my fandom to, I dunno, Purdue even. We didn't hire Lloyd Carr.

But yeah, lower 'tier' teams can have enough talent to win if they know how to play.

Last edited:
If we hired a Lloyd Carr I'll switch my fandom to, I dunno, Purdue even. We didn't hire Lloyd Carr.

But yeah, lower 'tier' teams can have enough talent to win if they know how to play.
Fans need to remember that several of our coaches started at Alabama coaching for Saban. I think they know how to make a team play hard enough to beat teams others don't think they will.

I don’t believe for a second Coach Cig isn’t bringing guys here he believes can make this team better. James Madison would have killed us this year, where did our guys come from?
They’re big power five win last year was over 3-9 Virginia. Hoosiers played Penn State to the wire.

Reactions: TMFT
That game was over in the first quarter. While that game was a complete failure by the defense, the Hoosiers had not yet fired Walt Bell, the offensive coordinator. He was fired immediately after the 44-17 loss to Maryland.

Another stupid hiring decision by Tom Allen that didn’t ever make sense.

That game was over in the first quarter. While that game was a complete failure by the defense, the Hoosiers had not yet fired Walt Bell, the offensive coordinator. He was fired immediately after the 44-17 loss to Maryland.

Another stupid hiring decision by Tom Allen that didn’t ever make sense.
For what it’s worth, that’s also before the switch to Sorsby.

Tayven wasn’t great last year, and the times he was the receivers tended to drop the ball.

I remember one play at Maryland where a receiver was coming across the middle (I don’t recall if it was in the end zone or just around it) and Tayven put it in his chest and it was dropped. It would have been a TD. Right play call, QB executed, WR didn’t.

I’m not sure what all of Bell’s problems were, but the lack of execution when the right plays WERE called killed him.

One problem I suspect he had was that he was told to feed the ball to Jaylin. And that just didn’t work out in any appreciable way.

For what it’s worth, that’s also before the switch to Sorsby.

Tayven wasn’t great last year, and the times he was the receivers tended to drop the ball.

I remember one play at Maryland where a receiver was coming across the middle (I don’t recall if it was in the end zone or just around it) and Tayven put it in his chest and it was dropped. It would have been a TD. Right play call, QB executed, WR didn’t.

I’m not sure what all of Bell’s problems were, but the lack of execution when the right plays WERE called killed him.

One problem I suspect he had was that he was told to feed the ball to Jaylin. And that just didn’t work out in any appreciable way.

For a while it seems like they thought Jaylin could be a RB up the middle. Didn't seem to focus on getting him the ball where he actually had space to do something with it.

Last edited:
For a while it seems like they though Jaylin could be a RB up the middle. Didn't seem to focus on getting him the ball where he actually had space to do something with it.
For the life of me I don't know why they didn't put him in that Whop Philyor role. Jet motion, deep motion, bubble screens, etc.

I thought he ran tough between the tackles but he was just too little. Like, why do it?

Regardless, they just went to him too often. Like they were forcing it because he was going to be their homerun hitter. And I can't think of any home runs he actually hit. Maybe he had a huge gainer against Indiana State? But it certainly never clicked.

For the life of me I don't know why they didn't put him in that Whop Philyor role. Jet motion, deep motion, bubble screens, etc.

I thought he ran tough between the tackles but he was just too little. Like, why do it?

Regardless, they just went to him too often. Like they were forcing it because he was going to be their homerun hitter. And I can't think of any home runs he actually hit. Maybe he had a huge gainer against Indiana State? But it certainly never clicked.
He wasn't a smashmouth LOS RB. He could have also caused defenses to sweat blood being involved in passing downs as a receiver from the RB position. Any decent Junior High offensive coach could have come up with 5-6 plays allowing for the ball to get to him close to 1 on 1 coverage.

I didn't see the incredible wheels Jaylin was said to possess, at least not this season. Maybe that was due to the types of plays not letting him get going. I had thought he had better acceleration though.
I do remember a nice return this year at a key moment after which we then of course lost yards and totally squandered.

I hope he has a bounce back season with the Seminoles.

I didn't see the incredible wheels Jaylin was said to possess, at least not this season. Maybe that was due to the types of plays not letting him get going. I had thought he had better acceleration though.
I do remember a nice return this year at a key moment after which we then of course lost yards and totally squandered.

I hope he has a bounce back season with the Seminoles.
He looked good against Indiana state.

Justice Ellison (Wake Forest) P5
Kurtis Rourke (Ohio) G5
Trey Wedig (Wisconsin) P5
Miles Cross (Ohio) G5
Myles Price (Texas Tech) P5
Ke’Shawn Williams (Wake Forest) P5
Mikail Kamara (James Madison) P5
Ty Son Lawton (James Madison) P5
Mark Langston (Georgia Southern) G5
Derek McCormick (Louisiana Monroe) G5
Nick Kidwell (James Madison) G5
Aiden Fisher (James Madison) G5
Zach Horton (James Madison) G5
James Carpenter (James Madison) G5
Jailin Walker (James Madison) G5
Kaelon Black (James Madison) G5
Tyler Stephens (James Madison) G5
Shawn Asbury (Old Dominion) G5
Terry Jones (Old Dominion) G5
Elijah Green (North Carolina) P5
Elijah Sarratt (James Madison) G5
Jayden McDonald (Troy) G5
Cedarius Doss (Austin Peay) FCS

Only 5/23 transfers this cycle have been from P5 schools. 18 is already over a fifth of the teams scholarships so G5 transfers are a heavy amount. Pre-2024 transfers that are P5 are Tayven Jackson (Tennessee), EJ Williams (Clemson), Andison Coby (Tennessee), Bradley Archer (Stanford), Drew Evans (Wisconsin), Noah Bolticoff (TCU), Robby Harrison, (Arizona State), Lanell Carr (West Virginia), Marcus Burris (Texas A&M), Jacob Mangum-Farrar (Stanford), Jamier Johnson (Texas), Nic Toomer (Stanford), Kobee Minor (Texas Tech), and I'll count JoJo Johnson as he went Notre Dame -> Iowa Western C.C. -> Indiana. 14 P5 guys and a few from G5 or lower. So out of the 40 or so transfers on the roster, more than half are from the G5. I trust in Cigs and staff coaching abilities so I trust they'll turn these G5 proven commodities into solid players but I'd like to see some of these cast offs from bigger programs get a look. McCorkle's commitment really makes me feel good about Cigs recruiting after being skeptical this transfer cycle.

thanks for the list. Definitely a higher influx of players from G5 this year, which makes sense given CCC 2.0 brought a ton from James Madison and we had a ton of transfers with the coaching change

It will be interesting to see how the G5 transfers fare this year in comparison to the P5 transfers and if there is any difference in the percentage of hits vs misses. I think we will find the top talent in G5 leagues will prove to be at least average talent in P5. I think we will end up with more hits prioritizing experience over star ratings and where they come from.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT