ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting priorities... plan of attack...

What about the story out there that said that Stevens will is not that enamored with recruiting especially the big time recruits and every thing that goes into that
Hire great recruiters on your staff. ALso the elite in state kids would probably look at IU harder.

College coaches are only allowed to go out and recruit certain times of the year.

I guess Scott thinks since Crean texts recruits every day that's considered "more work." LOL!!
Are pro coaches going on in home visits right now and traveling across the country trying to get kids to come to their schools. I get it they have a longer season and work more during that time but in the summer the pro coaches have it easier than the college coaches. Also they don't have to deal with the headache of recruiting and put their job on the line trying to get 18 year olds to come pay for them.

What about the story out there that said that Stevens will is not that enamored with recruiting especially the big time recruits and every thing that goes into that

possibly true but that was his Butler experience - being at IU would change all that. He could out-recruit Crean in his pajamas and save the school the ridiculous 800k they spent jetting Crean around on fruitless recruiting trips

Reactions: TheLaffy
I would really want Stevens to coach here or Marshall but do you really believe in your heart that Stevens would come here if he was offered the job.
I do. He has a price tag and is an Indiana guy. He'd be following a flop and could build a huge legacy here.

possibly true but that was his Butler experience - being at IU would change all that. He could out-recruit Crean in his pajamas and save the school the ridiculous 800k they spent jetting Crean around on fruitless recruiting trips
What I heard was he did not like dealing with the other things when it came to recruiting the national players like dealing with their handlers which he did not have to deal with at a place like Butler. I hope I am wrong and Stevens would take the job if offered but I really don't see that happening.

What I heard was he did not like dealing with the other things when it came to recruiting the national players like dealing with their handlers which he did not have to deal with at a place like Butler. I hope I am wrong and Stevens would take the job if offered but I really don't see that happening.
then I'll take the kids he had at Butler and go to back to back national title games.

then I'll take the kids he had at Butler and go to back to back national title games.
If you put those teams in the big ten I don't think they would been able to compete the whole the year and win the big ten. It is easier for teams on that level to make runs in the tournament than it is to play a whole season in a conference like the big ten.

Ok say that the NBA coaches work longer but besides that what does IU offer him that would entice him to leave Boston. this is not the 1976 IU program he would be walking into and it has been almost 30 years since our last championship. Maybe it is time for some of you to come to reality and realize that the IU job s not what it use to be and coaches will not just drop every thing to come here and coach.

I know recruiting rankings aren't perfect by a long shot, particularly on an individual player by player basis. That said, I think looking at the overall numbers over an era can give an idea as to the programs drawing power on the recruiting front.

Here are IU's total # of top 75 recruits landed during the different era's for which I have data. From 1983-1997, I'm only using Bob Gibbons and Clark Francis because that is all I can find and I can't go back at all past 1983.

1985-1992: IU landed 12 Top 75 players (8 year span) Knight
1993-2000: IU landed 11 Top 75 players (8 year span) Knight
2001-2007: IU landed 6 Top 75 players (7 year span) Davis, Sampson
2008-2015: IU landed 14 Top 75 players (8 year span) Crean

For those that say that turnover is greater today so it's not exactly apples to apples, IU ranked 10th in landing Top 75 recruits from 1983-2000 and ranks 13th in landing Top 75 recruits from 2008-2015.

The recruiting evidence suggests that the draw of IU has been more consistent than most think sans the Davis & Sampson years. Anyway... it's something more than just opinion.

Reactions: bsmitty08
Hire great recruiters on your staff. ALso the elite in state kids would probably look at IU harder.

It's beyond pathetic how most of the great kids are leaving the state. And Blackmon said he was ready to pick Kaintuck and only changed his mind when he sat down at the table to announce on live TV.

Why "barf?" Just curious.

Many reasons.

One being, sports actually teaches people about working together and reaching goals.

And if we are last in every sport, especially for 20 years, that would mean we're doing an awful job at that....even if your kid is a great lawyer, most who do nothing but screw others.

Once again, we go from a thread about recruiting to lets fire Crean and get Stevens. No problem, but does every thread have to be hijacked. Why not just start another thread, I wouldn't read it but no problem with it.

If Mack Brown offered JT Barrett like he should have, would Texas be this bad? I doubt it. That was a major miss in recruiting.

But if Texas gets rids of Charlie Strong, they better have a Chip Kelly like hire ready to go. Charlie can flat out coach.
I'm not a fan of strong. He would make a great DC but take away the two years of teddy bridgewater And he will have a below .500 record.

Or he could look at the fan base who turned on a coach who won their first outright big ten championship in last 20 years the very next year and say the hell with that.

maybe he would also look at the 3 big ten wins in year three, missing the nit in in year 6, and squeaking in in year 7. he might also wonder if he could do better given the players and resources.

we turned on him? we don't win, we turn over most our players, and the ones who stay get arrested. crean is not a devil, but what fan base with any history of winning (or even making the tourney) would not expect more? sounds like marquette fan turned on him and he's the second most successful coach they've ever had

you are telling me that Stevens took an NBA job but would scoff at the IU gig because he's afraid of pressure? huh?

wow - Tommy jumps on private plane to visit kid, kid expands recruiting list immediately after. He is a tan schleprock.

how can anyone still defend him?

Reactions: Dr. Brule
maybe he would also look at the 3 big ten wins in year three, missing the nit in in year 6, and squeaking in in year 7. he might also wonder if he could do better given the players and resources.

we turned on him? we don't win, we turn over most our players, and the ones who stay get arrested. crean is not a devil, but what fan base with any history of winning (or even making the tourney) would not expect more? sounds like marquette fan turned on him and he's the second most successful coach they've ever had

you are telling me that Stevens took an NBA job but would scoff at the IU gig because he's afraid of pressure? huh?

haven't you heard? NBA coaches vacation all summer while college coaches work 22 hour days.

This should be a very good year for IU. As a result no change after this year. Future recruiting will make or break for the next four years.

This should be a very good year for IU. As a result no change after this year. Future recruiting will make or break for the next four years.

Yo u are correct as this will be a special season we will remember for a long long time. Thank you CTC!

I
Why do you keep coming here and trolling because you don't fool anyone because everyone knows you are not an IU fan.

Think what you want to think but I could tell you anything about iu basketball in the last 30 years. I don't really care what you believe but I have better things to do then troll on sites. If you don't like my responses then don't respond to them!

Our retarded fans, like Spa#2, pretty much guarantees this fan base gets what it deserves. Their support of the program is the biggest issue. Continually providing the AD with a stream of income (or even praise) for subpar results removes any incentive to upgrade the coaching position without taking undue risk.

Internet tough guy calling people names on a computer. I was actually very critical of crean all of last year. Now he has all the pieces he has needed. If he can't win big with this group then its time for a change. He should be able to win at least 25 games or something is wrong.

Internet tough guy calling people names on a computer. I was actually very critical of crean all of last year. Now he has all the pieces he has needed. If he can't win big with this group then its time for a change. He should be able to win at least 25 games or something is wrong.
25 wins is still a 10 plus loss season. Crean needs a 28 win season, or the heat is turned up. I am sick of hearing, "we're Young", every couple years. Build a program, CTC! Creaniacs can only defend you for so long.

I know recruiting rankings aren't perfect by a long shot, particularly on an individual player by player basis. That said, I think looking at the overall numbers over an era can give an idea as to the programs drawing power on the recruiting front.

Here are IU's total # of top 75 recruits landed during the different era's for which I have data. From 1983-1997, I'm only using Bob Gibbons and Clark Francis because that is all I can find and I can't go back at all past 1983.

1985-1992: IU landed 12 Top 75 players (8 year span) Knight
1993-2000: IU landed 11 Top 75 players (8 year span) Knight
2001-2007: IU landed 6 Top 75 players (7 year span) Davis, Sampson
2008-2015: IU landed 14 Top 75 players (8 year span) Crean

For those that say that turnover is greater today so it's not exactly apples to apples, IU ranked 10th in landing Top 75 recruits from 1983-2000 and ranks 13th in landing Top 75 recruits from 2008-2015.

The recruiting evidence suggests that the draw of IU has been more consistent than most think sans the Davis & Sampson years. Anyway... it's something more than just opinion.

Bac
25 wins is still a 10 plus loss season. Crean needs a 28 win season, or the heat is turned up. I am sick of hearing, "we're Young", every couple years. Build a program, CTC! Creaniacs can only defend you for so long.

The worst part about his 24/7 cry-fest, "We're young" is that he over-signs almost every year with 2 stars and has to drive someone off instead of developing the players he has.

I said 25 because I figured I would be call unrealistic if I said 30. Expectations should be sky high.

No it would not be a 10 loss season because we play 31 regular season games so the record would be 25-6
I said 25 because I figured I would be call unrealistic if I said 30. Expectations should be sky high.
If you think this team should win 30 games then that means that they would go 30-1 and there is absolutely no way of that happening and we still all know you are a troll because no fan can be that optimistic.

No it would not be a 10 loss season because we play 31 regular season games so the record would be 25-6

If you think this team should win 30 games then that means that they would go 30-1 and there is absolutely no way of that happening and we still all know you are a troll because no fan can be that optimistic.
Actually, I was counting the B1G Tourney and the Ncaa Tourney. I thought that we would play five more games, total 36. I have been on this board for 14 plus years, so no, I am not a troll. Are you , newbie?

Actually, I was counting the B1G Tourney and the Ncaa Tourney. I thought that we would play five more games, total 36. I have been on this board for 14 plus years, so no, I am not a troll. Are you , newbie?
Bad at math and reading comprehension.

I was not calling you a troll but Spa#2 and some how my response to you and Spa#2 came on the same post and no I am not a Newbie and have been on this board since 1997

I was not calling you a troll but Spa#2 and some how my response to you and Spa#2 came on the same post and no I am not a Newbie and have been on this board since 1997
Ok thanks. Let's hope the Hoosiers return and stay where all fans want them to be.

Ok Scott then I will go with 25 and do cart wheels if we get 25. Is that better?
I did not say I would do cartwheels if we win 25 games but to me with this team it would be a pretty good year. I think we will finish around 5th in the conference and win 22-23 regular season games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT