ADVERTISEMENT

Really hope this is not true

Sounds like China is trying to play the old school, corruption game. It's ironic that after all of those fast-tracked trademarks, Trump still imposed tariffs on China (which were ratcheted higher by Biden after being critical a few years earlier).

I'm not defending the guy. I dislike him greatly, but there is a concerning issue with Democratic politicians being infiltrated by Chinese spies.
So a concerning "issue with Democratic politicians being infiltrated by Chinese spies", but no issue whatsoever with Trumps dealings with China on a personal/business level?

We could go on and on about tariffs. By and large a more damaging impact on our trade than any penalty to a foreign entity. US goods rose 10%-30% after the imposition of tariffs on China (more or less the tariff amount), reducing real income and deadweight losses 3.2 bil a month.

The tariffs trumped imposed were reduced, as well as the lifting of the ban on the chinese electronics company, as Ivanka got her last few trademarks rushed through--faster than anyone. That should be a problem for everyone

Last edited:
Ronald Montaperto was a Defense Intelligence Agency analyst who was spy for the Chinese-a republican.
Former Secretary of Commerce Carlos Gutierrez, appointed by George Bush, had significant concerns raised about him as his lop top was accessed through accidentally on purposefully placed spy war.
Kevin Mallory and Ron Hansen, a CIA case officer and DIA officer were republican voters. Both were sentenced to huge terms in prison for espionage.

It is a stupid score to keep with a sample size of 7.

Of note is the number of total espionage cases relating to Chinese Espionage incidents (not charges). The chart shows that after Obama and Xi agreed to restrict commercial espionage in 2015, the number of incidents of reported Chinese espionage dropped considerably---until 2017 when another guy took office and it rose to levels never seen before--and continued until Biden administration where it dropped again.

230329_CN_Espionage_Graph.png
You don't think there's a difference between individuals who spy or are pro-Chinese and Congress people and state elected officials having spies on their staffs?

EDIT: Same point, more or less, made by Crazy above,

So a concerning "issue with Democratic politicians being infiltrated by Chinese spies", but no issue whatsoever with Trumps dealings with China on a personal/business level?

I view that as less egregious than being influenced when representing constituents that elected you to oversee their interests.

We could go on and on about tariffs. By and large a more damaging impact on our trade than any penalty to a foreign entity. US goods rose 10%-30% after the imposition of tariffs on China (more or less the tariff amount), reducing real income and deadweight losses 3.2 bil a month.

The tariffs trumped imposed were reduced, as well as the lifting of the ban on the chinese electronics company, as Ivanka got her last few trademarks rushed through--faster than anyone. That should be a problem for everyone

I'm not sure you have it entirely right here Mark.

• The Trump administration imposed nearly $80 billion worth of new taxes on Americans by levying tariffs on thousands of products valued at approximately $380 billion in 2018 and 2019, amounting to one of the largest tax increases in decades.
  • The Biden administration has kept most of the Trump administration tariffs in place, and in May 2024, announced tariff hikes on an additional $18 billion of Chinese goods, including semiconductors and electric vehicles, for an additional tax increase of $3.6 billion.

But what often goes unnoticed is President Biden’s role in continuing President Trump’s first trade war. In fact, more tax revenue from the trade war tariffs has been collected under Biden than under Trump.

Most of the sensible fiscal conservatives were appalled at Trump's economic policy, given the tariffs/protectionist stance(s). Meanwhile, Joe ran on the idea that he was the antithesis to Trump and it turns out, for major policy flaws, he really isn't (immigration, Chinese relations, tariffs, etc.).

Reactions: ulrey and DANC
[*]The Trump administration imposed nearly $80 billion worth of new taxes on Americans by levying tariffs on thousands of products valued at approximately $380 billion in 2018 and 2019, amounting to one of the largest tax increases in decades.
Yeah, but didn't China pay those tariffs?

No. The American public pays for them by forcing American consumers to pay higher prices by either continuing to buy chinese product at a higher rate, or buy from another supplier at higher rates

I can't remember who said, David Ricardo or Adam Smith, but in 2024 lingo they said "tariffs are dogshit".

No. The American public pays for them by forcing American consumers to pay higher prices by either continuing to buy chinese product at a higher rate, or buy from another supplier at higher rates

I can't remember who said, David Ricardo or Adam Smith, but in 2024 lingo they said "tariffs are dogshit".
Check your sarcasm detector. Might need some new AAA's.

That's okay Milton.

I know all to well who pays the tariffs. In my last job I processed the invoices that came from our freight forwarder. The Trump tariffs were on their own line, separate from all the other charges including the "normal" tariff charges.

These costs were posted directly to COGS, and were passed on to the customer. I advocated for a separate line charge to the customer, but the sales people were afraid that might piss off the Trumpers and instead just increased the sale price by as much as they could get away with.

Reactions: Mark Milton
That’s what Trump was peddling. So what is Joe and Kamala’s spin? Why is nobody pressing them on such stupidity? They could have crushed Trump on this point, but instead they added to soaring inflation.
I'm not going to defend the tariffs under Biden, but I don't believe he has ever claimed the Chinese were paying them.

That’s what Trump was peddling. So what is Joe and Kamala’s spin? Why is nobody pressing them on such stupidity? They could have crushed Trump on this point, but instead they added to soaring inflation.
Because China actually does 'pay' in reduced exports. Tariffs put on Chinese goods help reflect more of an actual price, so people can buy domestic and not necessarily pay more.

• Haha
Reactions: UncleMark
So he admits he is fine taxing low and middle class Americans?

IIUC, the tariffs under Biden are targeted, as opposed to the across-the-board duties imposed under Trump. But don't hold me to that. I retired at the end of 2020 and haven't paid attention to that area like I once did.

Reactions: Mark Milton
IIUC, the tariffs under Biden are targeted, as opposed to the across-the-board duties imposed under Trump. But don't hold me to that. I retired at the end of 2020 and haven't paid attention to that area like I once did.

You need to reread my link from the Tax Foundation to Mark. It’s incredible how naive this country is on what is happening or happened under this administration.

Reactions: DANC
Whoops. One of three great weakness i have: (1) inability to note sarcasm; (2) the inept failure at folding burritos; and (3) the inability to put in the cream cheese in the slots of a Panera carry out box.

Sorry Mark-- my bad!!

• Love
Reactions: UncleMark

Looks like The Donald is going to take all the money he makes the Chines pay and use it for child care.

“But when you talk about those numbers, compared to the kind of numbers that I’m talking about by taxing foreign nations at levels that they’re not used to, but they’ll get used to it very quickly, and it’s not going to stop them from doing business with us, but they’ll have a very substantial tax when they send product into our country,” he said.​

So how should we compare, per week, per month, or other? Are you contending that Trump will be higher? Let’s do the math…
No, I imagine they will be close to the same. Biden may still be higher. I'm not sure. Just saying that the big discrepancy in the graph presented has an obvious explanation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT