ADVERTISEMENT

Realistic Updated Coaching Candidates, and AJ's SD Interview

Matta makes a lot of sense as a proven coach and no buyout for IU to pay for him. I've said before I'd happily trade Miller for Matta if Matta is healthy. People have posted that he's healthy. I don't know if they know that or are pulling it out of their behinds as some do here.

Would Matta submit to a physical examination? If not, would seem to be a big risk.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
-- Step 1: Call all the home run hires and offer the moon. When that fails go to step 2.
-- Step 2: Call Matta, Oats, and Musselman. If/when that fails go to step 3.
-- Step 3: Kick myself in the balls and remind myself we're a football school now.
-- Step 4: After step 3 coach is hired, wait 12 months and start complaining incessantly until they are fired. Go to step 5.
-- Step 5: Kick myself in the balls again and repeat the process.

We are Indiana. We don't offer coaches "to the moon contracts".

When are people going to realize that we are cheap and always have been.

Very well could and I think most are going to be disappointed when Indiana isn't hiring a big time name because it isn't financially feasible. It's definitely telling when one of the biggest and most influential donors is saying he wants no part in any of it.

It's not "telling" at all. Everyone already knew that's what Cuban would say. If you didn't, you haven't been watching.

We are Indiana. We don't offer coaches "to the moon contracts".

When are people going to realize that we are cheap and always have been.

I wouldn't necessarily agree that IU is "cheap", at least when it comes to basketball. On the other hand, there's only 3-4 coaches that deserve "to the moon contracts" anyway and none of them are available. Throwing $6-8 million a year for an initial contract doesn't guarantee anything.

What’s also obvious is that this isn’t the job it was 20 years ago, and it’s definitely not the job it was 30 years ago. None of us like to contemplate that reality, but we have a highly inflated view of the program, while most others do not.

Polls of BT basketball coaches in Oct 2019, and a rivals article in Aug 2020 both listed Indiana as the best coaching job in the BT.

I wouldn't necessarily agree that IU is "cheap", at least when it comes to basketball. On the other hand, there's only 3-4 coaches that deserve "to the moon contracts" anyway and none of them are available. Throwing $6-8 million a year for an initial contract doesn't guarantee anything.

We aren't offering "to the moon" contacts to anyone is the point. We aren't offering close to 8 million. Hell, we aren't offering close to 6.

People need to get that out of their minds.

We aren't offering "to the moon" contacts to anyone is the point. We aren't offering close to 8 million. He'll, we aren't offering close to 6.

People need to get that out of their minds.

And it shouldn't take $6 to 8 million dollars to hire a coach to Indiana anyway. Who in college basketball has ever received that kind of contract up front? I understand paying "to the moon" money to keep an established coach after winning for X amount of years, but nobody gets that kind of money up front without proving anything.

-- Step 1: Call all the home run hires and offer the moon. When that fails go to step 2.
-- Step 2: Call Matta, Oats, and Musselman. If/when that fails go to step 3.
-- Step 3: Kick myself in the balls and remind myself we're a football school now.
-- Step 4: After step 3 coach is hired, wait 12 months and start complaining incessantly until they are fired. Go to step 5.
-- Step 5: Kick myself in the balls again and repeat the process.
Here's my gift in lieu of step #3 or #5

Jlx06i_CwDtUj1VF0FyHcpDSwdDWoz2VWlTS3geDlyaXfGvL-uOg0fkRBRsbmgg23Qzf2evG5rLtE_bT-4811CGUrzH2UDOurYKHj1bwDHf9fDnEo2eyiHDKBbErlepwfVfBU68

Reactions: snarlcakes
Tad Boyle from Colorado. A coach with multiple 20 win seasons at CU. CU is not on most kid's radar but he recruits well and has a proven track record at a Power 5 school. Not a mid-major guy who is the next big thing. He could do well at IU with the built-in advantages IU has over CU if he wants to leave Boulder which could be a hard sell.

.533 WP in conference....says Colorado is his destination job.....native of Colorado and coached there. Next.

Reactions: JBT Assoc
And it shouldn't take $6 to 8 million dollars to hire a coach to Indiana anyway. Who in college basketball has ever received that kind of contract up front? I understand paying "to the moon" money to keep an established coach after winning for X amount of years, but nobody gets that kind of money up front without proving anything.

I'd still call Stevens and offer him the same contract that Cal has with UK. He might seriously consider it given that his seat is warm in Boston. And yes, it would be a gamble for IU because if it didn't work out we'd be stuck with him. I'd chance it.

I'd still call Stevens and offer him the same contract that Cal has with UK. He might seriously consider it given that his seat is warm in Boston. And yes, it would be a gamble for IU because if it didn't work out we'd be stuck with him. I'd chance it.

It's not going to take 10 years at $86million to get Brad Stevens to come coach at Indiana nor is Indiana EVER going to offer that kind of money. I don't care if it was the offpsring of Bob Knight and Jesus Christ himself. Brad Stevens has never struck me as a coach whose motivation is that of money. If Brad Stevens truly were available and wanted the Indiana job, it wouldn't cost more than $4-5mil/yr to get him here. If Brad Stevens wanted to coach at Indiana, he would take the job and wouldn't handcuff the athletics departments budget in the process. Nobody needs $8mil/yr to coach at Indiana. The only reason why Cal has the contract is to earn a boat ton of money in case and NBA franchise comes calling.

Nate Oats' buyout is $12,577,500 through 2021-22, so you have to assume he's off the table.

In my opinion, the two most realistic candidates for the job are Thad Matta and Dane Fife. According to an article about the coaching carousel on ESPN+, Matta showed a level of interest in the Penn State job when it became available, but ultimately passed. To me, that shows a job like IU is one he would most certainly take. However, as others have said, I would need assurances that his health is not an issue.

Despite his only head coaching experience being at IPFW, Fife is a "safe" option for Scott Dolson given Fife's obvious IU connections and that it's no secret he would be the successor to Tom Izzo if Izzo were to retire tomorrow.

I wouldn't be thrilled with either hire, but anyone seems to be an upgrade over Archie Miller at this point.

Nate Oats' buyout is $12,577,500 through 2021-22, so you have to assume he's off the table.

In my opinion, the two most realistic candidates for the job are Thad Matta and Dane Fife. According to an article about the coaching carousel on ESPN+, Matta showed a level of interest in the Penn State job when it became available, but ultimately passed. To me, that shows a job like IU is one he would most certainly take. However, as others have said, I would need assurances that his health is not an issue.

Despite his only head coaching experience being at IPFW, Fife is a "safe" option for Scott Dolson given Fife's obvious IU connections and that it's no secret he would be the successor to Tom Izzo if Izzo were to retire tomorrow.

I wouldn't be thrilled with either hire, but anyone seems to be an upgrade over Archie Miller at this point.

Good info....didn't know about Matta & PSU.....IF (big if) he's medically ok, why wouldn't you be thrilled with Matta? Or is it just a case where you're saying we can't ever be sure of his condition?

Reactions: MrBing
First of all, I don't think there will be an opening to fill so this discussion is likely academic. But with regards to Matta, I can't help but think his best days are behind him. I know he's not that old but with his past health issues...which definitely impacted his coaching...I think he'd be a huge risk. I don't think we'd be getting prime time Thad Matta.

Dane Fife? No thanks. Seems like a blindfolded swing and a prayer. Another guy with an insufficient resume whose only attractive quality is that they played for IU.

There is no quality candidate out there at the moment, which is half the reason Archie will most likely return.

Assuming he’s physically healthy, and mentally ready to get back to the coaching grind...Thad Matta would be an incredible hire. He won at every stop, and won early. Which implies he’s good at getting players and “people” around his programs to buy in quickly.

At OSU he won with different types of rosters. He went to the final game with a dominant big and NBA level point guard. A few years later he went to a final four with a bunch of versatile wings.

He won immediately at Butler. He won immediately at Xavier. At both Butler and Xavier he won at least 1 NCAA game each of those 4 years. Taking Xavier to an elite 8. Two final fours at OSU.

Seems all these traits would lend itself to attracting transfers too? Which, if a move is made this off-season, I think would be important for the new coach. The transfer market will be bigger with the no sitting out rule this year. I’d think Matta would have a compelling pitch for high caliber transfers.

If he’s not healthy, or you don’t get the sense that he’s got the fire any more...

I don’t see any realistic home run hires.

But I didn’t even remember that IU played last night. THAT’S how checked out this team and program have left me. So, at this point, any change will be welcomed and exciting.

First of all, I don't think there will be an opening to fill so this discussion is likely academic. But with regards to Matta, I can't help but think his best days are behind him. I know he's not that old but with his past health issues...which definitely impacted his coaching...I think he'd be a huge risk. I don't think we'd be getting prime time Thad Matta.

Dane Fife? No thanks. Seems like a blindfolded swing and a prayer. Another guy with an insufficient resume whose only attractive quality is that they played for IU.

There is no quality candidate out there at the moment, which is half the reason Archie will most likely return.
If there isn’t an opening the patient just coded

DF wouldn't be my #1 choice either....but 10(?) years of coaching under Izzo in the BT is attractive. And, if he is in fact Izzo's choice to take over at MSU, that's means something. I assume Izzo wouldn't want the program dumping. Also, he's a link to the Knight era, and was influenced by him. If the choice is more Miller or Fife, give me Fife.

Fife isn’t the safe option. He is a complete unknown. And you can do plenty worse than Archie. Fife would be a disaster and put the program back in this same situation in 3-4 years.

DF wouldn't be my #1 choice either....but 10(?) years of coaching under Izzo in the BT is attractive. And, if he is in fact Izzo's choice to take over at MSU, that's means something. I assume Izzo wouldn't want the program dumping. Also, he's a link to the Knight era, and was influenced by him. If the choice is more Miller or Fife, give me Fife.

(A) You don't know that Fife is the choice to replace Izzo, that's just conjecture, and (B) Crean also was an Izzo assistant.

Good info....didn't know about Matta & PSU.....IF (big if) he's medically ok, why wouldn't you be thrilled with Matta? Or is it just a case where you're saying we can't ever be sure of his condition?
I would be skeptical about Matta due to his health issues causing a few lackluster seasons near the end of his tenure at Ohio State. I don't mean to knock a guy for having a run of bad health (a bad back in Matta's case), but it's a legitimate concern for an administration making a massively significant coaching hire and paying millions of dollars to do so.

I'd be skeptical about Fife simply due to a lack of head coaching experience at a Power Five level program. His years at IPFW really don't move the needle for me in any way.

Another intriguing guy to consider is Bobby Hurley. He’s won at several different places. He has his Arizona State team ranked 3rd at one point 3 years ago. As I recall he had good teams at Buffalo too.

What’s also obvious is that this isn’t the job it was 20 years ago, and it’s definitely not the job it was 30 years ago. None of us like to contemplate that reality, but we have a highly inflated view of the program, while most others do not.
You are so full of it. If this team was winning like it was back then it would still be considered blue blood. We aren’t winning and that’s why.

You are so full of it. If this team was winning like it was back then it would still be considered blue blood. We aren’t winning and that’s why.

Having a rich history and fine pedigree doesn't automatically make it an attractive destination for a coach today. People keep saying they want a proven coach from a P5 school. Well why would such a coach leave a successful situation to come to IU?

Answer. They wouldn't.

Reactions: proper golfer
Updating matters, I believe my favorite, Nate Oats is completely out of the picture. Reports are that he signed a new contact worth $3.7/year, with a huge buyout.

So I'd like to talk about coaching candidates who are still on the table, even if long shots. Here are the names I've seen, with a couple of comments:

--Musselman.....Crazy father, possibly a skeleton or two in the closet, but highly successful. Any one know if there's a buy out & how much?

--Matta.....Could he do it physically? Someone somewhere commented that Archie and Sean are both from his coaching tree, and he might not want to offend. Would love him if he could physically do it, but need to look at those doctor's records.

--Beilein.....Old, but could do 5 years with an understudy in place.

--Stevens...the Dream

--Beard....Call him.

--Drew.....,Probably not SD's guy. Too slick for someone that dates back to Knight. I'd love it though. Don't think SD has the balls to do it.

--Fife....Seems like a real possibility to me. SD's probably been around him a lot. Is that good or bad for his chances? I think he'd come if asked, with Izzo's blessing. Izzo knows how good the job is.

--Alford....Don't want it, but has to be a possibility. AJ asked SD who is on his "Mt Rushmore" of IU basketball. Steve was the first person he mentioned, then the rest of the '87 team.

--Moser...Don't know much about him.

--Rick Singletary....His name came up on HSN as someone a big donor was "vetting". Late of Mississippi State, now with Western Kentucky. By my measure, pretty successful (is MSU the worst basketball job in the SEC?), but 61 and seems far-fetched.

--Altman....Milk Toast, which probably would appeal to SD. He has a soft gig at Oregon. Doubt he'd leave for the BT dogfight.

Now......a little on AJ's interview with SD........Amazing that AJ did not ask the only question everyone is asking......what is the status of CAM? I wonder if SD asked him before the interview not to ask the question? Just seemed very odd. Anyway, it's still a good listen, whatever you think of SD......lots of talk about IU in the '80s.

AJ did ask a general question about the 'state of IU basketball'. SD responded with some mealy mouth platitudes, but I found interesting two words he did not use......namely "Archie" or "Miller".

I think this thing has gotten to be point where it's easier for SD to dump Archie than to keep him, assuming he can get boosters to pay a large portion or all of the expense.
Let me suggest a guy without any baggage that I know of (unlike several of the other suggestions I've read on here) who:

1. Has a career .655 winning percentage,

2. At only 43, already has one trip to the Final Four to his credit

3. Is flexible and adaptive -- known for successfully implementing two different playing styles at different teams

4. Currently is coaching a Top 25 team

5. Kicked IU's ass earlier this year

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you:

What do you think?

Having a rich history and fine pedigree doesn't automatically make it an attractive destination for a coach today. People keep saying they want a proven coach from a P5 school. Well why would such a coach leave a successful situation to come to IU?

Answer. They wouldn't.

At this point, just for the contract and the budget. But those aren’t insignificant things. I also have to believe the ROI for the kinda of guy you break the bank for is way better.

Name 1 Izzo assistant that’s been a home run head coach. His prized guy is Tom Crean.Being an assistant under izzo means nothing.

Name 1 Izzo assistant that’s been a home run head coach. His prized guy is Tom Crean.Being an assistant under izzo means nothing.
Other than K, who was a GA, the same could be said of Knight. Coaching trees are often overblown in terms of their impact to the game.

ADVERTISEMENT