ADVERTISEMENT

Realistic Updated Coaching Candidates, and AJ's SD Interview

mushroomgod_1

All-American
Apr 9, 2012
Updating matters, I believe my favorite, Nate Oats is completely out of the picture. Reports are that he signed a new contact worth $3.7/year, with a huge buyout.

So I'd like to talk about coaching candidates who are still on the table, even if long shots. Here are the names I've seen, with a couple of comments:

--Musselman.....Crazy father, possibly a skeleton or two in the closet, but highly successful. Any one know if there's a buy out & how much?

--Matta.....Could he do it physically? Someone somewhere commented that Archie and Sean are both from his coaching tree, and he might not want to offend. Would love him if he could physically do it, but need to look at those doctor's records.

--Beilein.....Old, but could do 5 years with an understudy in place.

--Stevens...the Dream

--Beard....Call him.

--Drew.....,Probably not SD's guy. Too slick for someone that dates back to Knight. I'd love it though. Don't think SD has the balls to do it.

--Fife....Seems like a real possibility to me. SD's probably been around him a lot. Is that good or bad for his chances? I think he'd come if asked, with Izzo's blessing. Izzo knows how good the job is.

--Alford....Don't want it, but has to be a possibility. AJ asked SD who is on his "Mt Rushmore" of IU basketball. Steve was the first person he mentioned, then the rest of the '87 team.

--Moser...Don't know much about him.

--Rick Singletary....His name came up on HSN as someone a big donor was "vetting". Late of Mississippi State, now with Western Kentucky. By my measure, pretty successful (is MSU the worst basketball job in the SEC?), but 61 and seems far-fetched.

--Altman....Milk Toast, which probably would appeal to SD. He has a soft gig at Oregon. Doubt he'd leave for the BT dogfight.

Now......a little on AJ's interview with SD........Amazing that AJ did not ask the only question everyone is asking......what is the status of CAM? I wonder if SD asked him before the interview not to ask the question? Just seemed very odd. Anyway, it's still a good listen, whatever you think of SD......lots of talk about IU in the '80s.

AJ did ask a general question about the 'state of IU basketball'. SD responded with some mealy mouth platitudes, but I found interesting two words he did not use......namely "Archie" or "Miller".

I think this thing has gotten to be point where it's easier for SD to dump Archie than to keep him, assuming he can get boosters to pay a large portion or all of the expense.

Updating matters, I believe my favorite, Nate Oats is completely out of the picture. Reports are that he signed a new contact worth $3.7/year, with a huge buyout.

So I'd like to talk about coaching candidates who are still on the table, even if long shots. Here are the names I've seen, with a couple of comments:

--Musselman.....Crazy father, possibly a skeleton or two in the closet, but highly successful. Any one know if there's a buy out & how much?

--Matta.....Could he do it physically? Someone somewhere commented that Archie and Sean are both from his coaching tree, and he might not want to offend. Would love him if he could physically do it, but need to look at those doctor's records.

--Stevens...the Dream

--Beard....Call him.

--Drew.....,Probably not SD's guy. Too slick for someone that dates back to Knight. I'd love it though. Don't think SD has the balls to do it.

--Fife....Seems like a real possibility to me. SD's probably been around him a lot. Is that good or bad for his chances? I think he'd come if asked, with Izzo's blessing. Izzo knows how good the job is.

--Alford....Don't want it, but has to be a possibility. AJ asked SD who is on his "Mt Rushmore" of IU basketball. Steve was the first person he mentioned, then the rest of the '87 team.

--Rick Singletary....His name came up on HSN as someone a big donor was "vetting". Late of Mississippi State, now with Western Kentucky. By my measure, pretty successful (is MSU the worst basketball job in the SEC?), but 61 and seems far-fetched.

--Altman....Milk Toast, which probably would appeal to SD. He has a soft gig at Oregon. Doubt he'd leave for the BT dogfight.

Now......a little on AJ's interview with SD........Amazing that AJ did not ask the only question everyone is asking......what is the status of CAM? I wonder if SD asked him before the interview not to ask the question? Just seemed very odd. Anyway, it's still a good listen, whatever you think of SD......lots of talk about IU in the '80s.

AJ did ask a general question about the 'state of IU basketball'. SD responded with some mealy mouth platitudes, but I found interesting two words he did not use......namely "Archie" or "Miller".

I think this thing has gotten to be point where it's easier for SD to dump Archie than to keep him, assuming he can get boosters to pay a large portion or all of the expense.

I think we are at a point where we cannot take a risk as big as Dane Fife. I understand every coach is a risk to a certain degree, but I hope SD lands a proven winner. I hope he’s willing to think outside the box and not just immediately think he needs to hire an IU guy like Alford. It’s the biggest decision of his career.

--Stevens...the Dream

--Beard....Call him.

Musselman and Drew are probably the best two "realistic" options. Matta is probably a long shot and I personally don't think Beilein would have any interest.

I'm at the point where I'd entertain the thought of Porter Moser. Moser was a retread up until a magical run to the F4 and I think he's proven that he can coach and it was no fluke. Moser is a Chicago guy but a Creighton alum. Always thought he'd end up at DePaul and not sure how many chances Dave Leitao is going to get. If DePaul ever wants to hire Moser it needs to be this year and now may even be to a late. McDermott under some heat in the last 24 hours with some poor choice words during a locker room tirade and just have to wonder if the cancel culture will get to him. Moser would be the #1 candidate there.

Travis Ford, Brian Dutcher, and Craig Smith are three mid-major guys who have all built up solid programs that have caught my eye as well. Would guess one of the latter two may be Minnesota's next coach.

I'm really not on the train that IU needs to hire an IU guy, but if is to hire someone with a direct connection my 3 preferred choices would be Fife, Michael Lewis, and Joe Pasternack. Pasternack is someone I completely forgot about and while IU should be above hiring Pasternack at this stage in the game, it's a name you should keep an eye on down the road.

Last edited:
Reactions: kkott

--Stevens...the Dream

--Beard....Call him.

Matta makes a lot of sense as a proven coach and no buyout for IU to pay for him. I've said before I'd happily trade Miller for Matta if Matta is healthy. People have posted that he's healthy. I don't know if they know that or are pulling it out of their behinds as some do here.

Reactions: MrBing and bub-rub
Matta makes a lot of sense as a proven coach and no buyout for IU to pay for him. I've said before I'd happily trade Miller for Matta if Matta is healthy. People have posted that he's healthy. I don't know if they know that or are pulling it out of their behinds as some do here.

I posted in another thread, but at this point I think it's more about desire than health. Does Matta want to get back into big time college basketball? Everything I've read leads me to believe he's currently content with retired life. He's always struck me as a Butler-lifer and I could see him replacing Lavalle Jordan some point down the road if things don't work out in a much less stress environment. I also think he's the logical replacement as AD when Barry Collier retires.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
For what it's worth the insider on Btownbanners thinks it will be Fife :mad:

He has a good track record of being right.

That these kind of things are in national news is a definite indication that something will happen this year.

Very well could and I think most are going to be disappointed when Indiana isn't hiring a big time name because it isn't financially feasible. It's definitely telling when one of the biggest and most influential donors is saying he wants no part in any of it.

Cuban too busy thinking about his presidential run.... haha

Maybe. Sure did take a huge dump on the IU fanbase....

“Let me tell you about IU fans. What I love most is that every single one of us is a coach. They know basketball better than any coach IU has ever had,” Cuban said in an email on Tuesday.

Having been raised in Indiana myself, Cuban is correct.

“As a result whenever there is a bad game I get emails from Hoosiers telling me I should buy out the coach because they would have run a better side out of bounds play than [insert the coach’s name here] did,” Cuban wrote. “This has been going on for almost 20 years.”

And it’s been about 20 years since IU last made the Final Four.

“I don’t get involved in it at all. I’m here for Coach Miller to help him, not replace him,” said Cuban, who graduated from IU in 1981. “This is a crazy year across the board and I love IU and IU Basketball, but I also am not one to panic.”

Cuban gives some version of that interview every time the coach at Indiana is on the hot seat. It’s like white smoke coming from the Assembly to tell us the tenure is over.

Reactions: snarlcakes
Very well could and I think most are going to be disappointed when Indiana isn't hiring a big time name because it isn't financially feasible. It's definitely telling when one of the biggest and most influential donors is saying he wants no part in any of it.

I predict that he's lost the team again, will lose out, and it will happen. National chatter like this wouldn't be going on if there wasn't behind the scenes talk. I wouldn't have thought that 3 weeks ago, but I do now

I predict that he's lost the team again, will lose out, and it will happen. National chatter like this wouldn't be going on if there wasn't behind the scenes talk. I wouldn't have thought that 3 weeks ago, but I do now

It's very likely a change will be made at the end of the year given how the last 3 weeks have played out. I also think it's very likely whatever change is made will be underwhelming to most given the financial constraint the current athletic department is under.

Reactions: mushroomgod_1
It's very likely a change will be made at the end of the year given how the last 3 weeks have played out. I also think it's very likely whatever change is made will be underwhelming to most given the financial constraint the current athletic department is under.
We don't really know the likelihood of anything. Local media still saying 1 more year is most likely. No one knows.

Maybe. Sure did take a huge dump on the IU fanbase....

“Let me tell you about IU fans. What I love most is that every single one of us is a coach. They know basketball better than any coach IU has ever had,” Cuban said in an email on Tuesday.

Having been raised in Indiana myself, Cuban is correct.

“As a result whenever there is a bad game I get emails from Hoosiers telling me I should buy out the coach because they would have run a better side out of bounds play than [insert the coach’s name here] did,” Cuban wrote. “This has been going on for almost 20 years.”

And it’s been about 20 years since IU last made the Final Four.

“I don’t get involved in it at all. I’m here for Coach Miller to help him, not replace him,” said Cuban, who graduated from IU in 1981. “This is a crazy year across the board and I love IU and IU Basketball, but I also am not one to panic.”
What’s also obvious is that this isn’t the job it was 20 years ago, and it’s definitely not the job it was 30 years ago. None of us like to contemplate that reality, but we have a highly inflated view of the program, while most others do not.

What’s also obvious is that this isn’t the job it was 20 years ago, and it’s definitely not the job it was 30 years ago. None of us like to contemplate that reality, but we have a highly inflated view of the program, while most others do not.

It's still an attractive and lucrative job to many, and there is more than one candidate within hiring distance out there who can turn it around.

Reactions: snarlcakes
I love Dane Fife, but we shouldn’t be taking a chance on him at this point...

Reactions: iulb
I’d take a look at John Becker of Vermont. Very consistent.

Ben Jacobson at UNI.

Scott Nagy is another guy who builds programs.

IU doesn’t need the flashiest guys or the hottest names, just a good motivator and somebody who can connect with players, establish chemistry and motivate.

It’s probably just a vibe I’ve had ever since Archie arrived but he doesn’t seem to have any bond with the team, almost distant.

It's still an attractive and lucrative job to many, and there is more than one candidate within hiring distance out there who can turn it around.
It’s attractive and lucrative to some, no doubt, including who might be able to turn it around. But it’s not nearly the job it used to be, and we’re going to see that if / when Miller is dismissed.

I don't know about that, it's obviously not the job it once was, but if we are not considered a blue blood anymore, I don't think USA Today and SI would have written articles in the last week about AM's hot seat. Obviously, they think it matters, there's lots of other teams and sports to cover

Reactions: SoccerSammy
It’s attractive and lucrative to some, no doubt, including who might be able to turn it around. But it’s not nearly the job it used to be, and we’re going to see that if / when Miller is dismissed.

There are 10 coaches on this very board who would likely jump at the chance to split a $3.3 million dollar salary 10 ways.
Not saying they’d be any better but 10 guys could take turns yelling at the team! That’s a nice chunk of change for 10 capable posters or possibly Peegs and Fatjohns could come in as a package deal?

Reactions: 76-1 and MrBing
I don't know about that, it's obviously not the job it once was, but if we are not considered a blue blood anymore, I don't think USA Today and SI would have written articles in the last week about AM's hot seat. Obviously, they think it matters, there's lots of other teams and sports to cover
They’ll write about any opening. Jeremy Pruitt got blown out at UT and they wrote about it, too. It’s a name, but it’s not the job or the basketball name it once was.

For what it's worth the insider on Btownbanners thinks it will be Fife :mad:

He has a good track record of being right.
I'm starting to think that too, no inside info, just a hunch. It would be great if they could bring in Lewis or Cheney as top assistants

Fife doesn't have the personality for it at all. He'd be in way over his head from day 1. Nice guy but a complete dork.
What exactly makes you think Fife is a "dork". You kidding? He was about as hard nosed a player we've ever had

What exactly makes you think Fife is a "dork". You kidding? He was about as hard nosed a player we've ever had

Just because you're tough doesn't mean you're not a dork. He'll be our Bryce Drew if hired. Guaranteed.

They’ll write about any opening. Jeremy Pruitt got blown out at UT and they wrote about it, too. It’s a name, but it’s not the job or the basketball name it once was.
Probably not, that's probably why it will be Fife. I'm not delighted about that, but AM has got to go, for sure, and it at least gives us something to look forward to. Next couple years will be rough for anybody

Just because you're tough doesn't mean you're not a dork. He'll be our Bryce Drew if hired. Guaranteed.
Really, I guess that's why he's been viewed as the heir apparent to Izzo for years now, we could do worse and we have worse

Musselman and Drew are probably the best two "realistic" options. Matta is probably a long shot and I personally don't think Beilein would have any interest.

I'm at the point where I'd entertain the thought of Porter Moser. Moser was a retread up until a magical run to the F4 and I think he's proven that he can coach and it was no fluke. Moser is a Chicago guy but a Creighton alum. Always thought he'd end up at DePaul and not sure how many chances Dave Leitao is going to get. If DePaul ever wants to hire Moser it needs to be this year and now may even be to a late. McDermott under some heat in the last 24 hours with some poor choice words during a locker room tirade and just have to wonder if the cancel culture will get to him. Moser would be the #1 candidate there.

Travis Ford, Brian Dutcher, and Craig Smith are three mid-major guys who have all built up solid programs that have caught my eye as well. Would guess one of the latter two may be Minnesota's next coach.

I'm really not on the train that IU needs to hire an IU guy, but if is to hire someone with a direct connection my 3 preferred choices would be Fife, Michael Lewis, and Joe Pasternack. Pasternack is someone I completely forgot about and while IU should be above hiring Pasternack at this stage in the game, it's a name you should keep an eye on down the road.

The program is toast then. Fife will be worse than Archie. I guarantee it.

There's NOBODY they can get to turn it around fast. They could get Brad Stevens and Lebron and we'll still suck next year. Fife however would be OK with me if we know it's gonna take a couple years

Reactions: burkndlaw
Tad Boyle from Colorado. A coach with multiple 20 win seasons at CU. CU is not on most kid's radar but he recruits well and has a proven track record at a Power 5 school. Not a mid-major guy who is the next big thing. He could do well at IU with the built-in advantages IU has over CU if he wants to leave Boulder which could be a hard sell.

--Stevens...the Dream

--Beard....Call him.

-- Step 1: Call all the home run hires and offer the moon. When that fails go to step 2.
-- Step 2: Call Matta, Oats, and Musselman. If/when that fails go to step 3.
-- Step 3: Kick myself in the balls and remind myself we're a football school now.
-- Step 4: After step 3 coach is hired, wait 12 months and start complaining incessantly until they are fired. Go to step 5.
-- Step 5: Kick myself in the balls again and repeat the process.

--Stevens...the Dream

--Beard....Call him.

Musselman has a buyout. I believe it's $5 million this year, but I could be wrong (I looked it up a few weeks ago).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT