ADVERTISEMENT

Re-Ordered Season tix

cryano

All-Big Ten
Apr 19, 2005
at the deadline today.
For first time ever, the sorry state of the basketball program made me debate keeping my FB season tickets.

Idk how long I can continue to spend my entertainment budget on two programs that are not so entertaining lately....

If IU doesn’t show commitment or improvements within the next two years, I’ll likely bow out and give up 12+ yrs of priority points in FB, WBB/soccer, and MBB.

The tickets are cheaper to buy single game
on secondary sites when we have been so poor rather than hold season tix...

Reactions: IUgradman
I look forward to the day where the point system can be scrapped. It artificially inflates the football ticket prices and keeps away fans that would like to go to football games and replace them with reversible jackets that just end up selling them to opposing fans.

I look forward to the day where the point system can be scrapped. It artificially inflates the football ticket prices and keeps away fans that would like to go to football games and replace them with reversible jackets that just end up selling them to opposing fans.
I don't know if there's a practical way to do so, but it would be great if they could track whether the actual season ticket holder was the one using the ticket and factor that into the points system. For years now, the seats two rows directly in front of me have been occupied every single game by visiting fans or occasionally random IU fans. Never by the same people for multiple games.

I also know a guy who who is a big vc donor who buys 8 season football tickets and never attends a game. He is a big IU basketball guy and a Notre Dame football guy (surprise !) with season tickets for ND football. He keeps his football tickets for priority points for basketball and either sells them on StubHub or gives them to clients each week.

I don't know if there's a practical way to do so, but it would be great if they could track whether the actual season ticket holder was the one using the ticket and factor that into the points system. For years now, the seats two rows directly in front of me have been occupied every single game by visiting fans or occasionally random IU fans. Never by the same people for multiple games.

I also know a guy who who is a big vc donor who buys 8 season football tickets and never attends a game. He is a big IU basketball guy and a Notre Dame football guy (surprise !) with season tickets for ND football. He keeps his football tickets for priority points for basketball and either sells them on StubHub or gives them to clients each week.

There should be a points penalty for "consistent" resale. I'd say if you sell more than half of your games you should lose your points (or at least half of them...).

There should be a points penalty for "consistent" resale. I'd say if you sell more than half of your games you should lose your points (or at least half of them...).
I agree. The question is how do you track that ?

The other issue I see is that the athletic dept. has a vested interest in selling as many season tickets as possible. If they penalize people who do not personally use their tickets, will those people stop buying them altogether ?

I would rather see a points reward bonus or some other incentive for those who do use their tickets. Create some way for the faithful attendees to move into better seats or earn a discount. Even a reduced parking fee or concession stand vouchers would be a nice reward for actual consistent attendance.

Reactions: 76-1
You should get your points incrementally. At the start of the fourth quarter present your ID and the tickets to be scanned. You, the ID and the tickets must match or you don't get your points.

I think you could do something where in addition to individual game tickets, each season ticket holder gets a single ID card that is kept for the duration of the season, which needs to be scanned along with the ticket at the gate.

It would be possible for someone else to use the card: giving a ticket and card to a family member or friend to use where it would be easy enough to get the card back (which I think would be perfectly acceptable and not shady). It would however target the most egregious offenders who only buy tickets with the intent to sell.

Reactions: CGW-89 and 76-1
I understand that thought - but I generally take the kids or give to a friend or family to take their kids.

Why would anyone give two-shits what I do with something I have purchased w my own funds?
For the Purdue game I always take a Purdue friend of mine...

I understand that thought - but I generally take the kids or give to a friend or family to take their kids.

Why would anyone give two-shits what I do with something I have purchased w my own funds?

You should be banned from all Indiana University facilities for that move alone (your last sentence);)

On a more serious note: you obviously haven't ever been surrounded by Ohio $tate fans at an Indiana home game. If you had you wouldn't need to ask why...

I think poster "Standard" has the best approach/solution (coupled perhaps with turney333's idea).

On a more serious note: you obviously haven't ever been surrounded by Ohio $tate fans at an Indiana home game. If you had you wouldn't need to ask why...
Nah - Ive always had my tix on the edge of the faculty/staff and the student section...across from pressbox...and abt the 35 yd line - not near corners...

Nah - Ive always had my tix on the edge of the faculty/staff and the student section...across from pressbox...and abt the 35 yd line - not near corners...

I've always had mine on the alumni side near somewhat below high center (and that's a rediculous spot to have to routinely deal with that kind of crap)...

Last edited:
I would give this comment 10 likes if possible.
We sat by a group of their delusional,obnoxious fans the last time they were in town.
The guy that sat next to me had a jersey,hat, sweat bands and eye black ( not an April Fools joke)
It was not a good experience,his wife was yelling ‘kill the fker’ when Ramsey was running for his life.
My wife has already told me she won’t go to the game this year.

I would give this comment 10 likes if possible.
We sat by a group of their delusional,obnoxious fans the last time they were in town.
The guy that sat next to me had a jersey,hat, sweat bands and eye black ( not an April Fools joke)
It was not a good experience,his wife was yelling ‘kill the fker’ when Ramsey was running for his life.
My wife has already told me she won’t go to the game this year.
I could not make it to the last two OSU home games (family commitment in 2015 and Thurs night game in 2017 - not doable for a guy who had to get up at 5 a.m for work on Friday). In both instances, I sold my tickets to co-workers with the demand that they not be given or sold to OSU fans and that everyone in the party be loyal Hoosiers. I advised that I would check with my game-day neighbors the next week to make sure. I actually turned away a younger staff member who wanted to take her OSU -fan boyfriend. It pissed her off, but I don't care. I want nothing to do with letting more of those obnoxious clowns in Memorial Stadium. If necessary, I would swallow the cost if it means letting opponents' fans sit in my seats.

Ive sold quite a few games on the ticket forum too when I couldnt use or find someone near me. Stubhub is always my last resort...

I gave for free a game last year to someone on here - the monsoon Virginia game I believe...no idea if they ended up putting them to use, but if so they were 4 of just a few hundred...

Reactions: CC Mac
I think you could do something where in addition to individual game tickets, each season ticket holder gets a single ID card that is kept for the duration of the season, which needs to be scanned along with the ticket at the gate.

It would be possible for someone else to use the card: giving a ticket and card to a family member or friend to use where it would be easy enough to get the card back (which I think would be perfectly acceptable and not shady). It would however target the most egregious offenders who only buy tickets with the intent to sell.
There a lot of solutions in search of a problem in this thread. If we want more IU fans in the stadium, we need to win more. The priority points system exists to reward people for making sure the athletic department is adequately funded, not to prove who the "real" fans are. As much as I'd also love for every seat in Memorial Stadium to be filled by IU fans, once you buy a ticket, it's yours to do any legal thing you want with it.

The youth tix are now unable to be sold on Stubhub or any online ‘barcode’ seller site...
Can still transfer through the IU ticket account to friends and family

So you want to hold people hostage until they scan an ID? No thanks.

No to hostage taking;).

Ushers equipped with scanners could be posted at all the egress points at the start of the fourth quarter.

Anyone who wants their points could easily get their ticket/ID scanned on the way to get a last snack or a quick trip to the bathroom, the rest could get their scans on the way out or at Will Call. They'd have the entire 4th quarter to get it plus during the post game egress...

No one would be forced to get their scans but they wouldn't get credit for their points either...

You could even setup a line of scanners on the way out (post game) so 20 at a time could get their scans...

No to hostage taking;).

Ushers equipped with scanners could be posted at all the egress points at the start of the fourth quarter.

Anyone who wants their points could easily get their ticket/ID scanned on the way to get a last snack or a quick trip to the bathroom, the rest could get their scans on the way out or at Will Call. They'd have the entire 4th quarter to get it plus during the post game egress...

No one would be forced to get their scans but they wouldn't get credit for their points either...

You could even setup a line of scanners on the way out (post game) so 20 at a time could get their scans...
Or how about...micro-season tickets...no more messing w paper tickets at all!

hqdefault.jpg

Reactions: UncleMark
There a lot of solutions in search of a problem in this thread. If we want more IU fans in the stadium, we need to win more. The priority points system exists to reward people for making sure the athletic department is adequately funded, not to prove who the "real" fans are. As much as I'd also love for every seat in Memorial Stadium to be filled by IU fans, once you buy a ticket, it's yours to do any legal thing you want with it.

That was my intention in the first post on the subject. I will be glad when demand is such that the point system will be a thing of the past not saying that one should have to have a cheek swab to prove attendance.

Or how about...micro-season tickets...no more messing w paper tickets at all!

hqdefault.jpg

Yikes! How about a barcode wristband like you get at the hospital instead...

If we ever have a Penn State incident I want to be able to disavow the program without having surgery...;):D

A tiered pricing structure would help with this. People who want the points could pay less for lower quality tickets. Faithful followers could pay a little more and get better seats. It wouldn't solve reselling, but it would reward the core fans and keep the ticket dumpers up top and in the corners.

Reactions: 76-1 and cryano
So at the start of the 4th quarter of every game, 40-50,000 people would have to get up and go scan an ID? No thanks.
That's when you could start, it would for however long it takes after the game. And i don't think we have 40k season ticket holders.

That was my intention in the first post on the subject. I will be glad when demand is such that the point system will be a thing of the past not saying that one should have to have a cheek swab to prove attendance.
The more demand there is, the more important the points system becomes. How else would you propose to assign seats?

The more demand there is, the more important the points system becomes. How else would you propose to assign seats?

I would imagine they would be assigned by the length of time you had season tickets for football but would have no bearing on seats for basketball.

at the deadline today.
For first time ever, the sorry state of the basketball program made me debate keeping my FB season tickets.

Idk how long I can continue to spend my entertainment budget on two programs that are not so entertaining lately....

If IU doesn’t show commitment or improvements within the next two years, I’ll likely bow out and give up 12+ yrs of priority points in FB, WBB/soccer, and MBB.

The tickets are cheaper to buy single game
on secondary sites when we have been so poor rather than hold season tix...

WANT A COOKIE?

Disney World has an ingenious ticket system where users have magic bands and they then link the tickets to a band and use a finger print scan at entry. It ensures that the ticket used is linked to the person originally registering their fingerprint to the ticket. If you are wanting something that tracks actual users of the tickets they bought.

They get boatloads of people entering the parks every hour and, surprisingly, the process is extremely fast. It’s state of the art ticket entry process.
Of course, the lines to get out of Memorial Stadium are probably actually longer to get OUT than people wanting to get IN or re-enter after halftime.

Reactions: IUgradman and 76-1
I get so tired of seeing people say if IU wants people to attend football games they need to put a winning team on the field. Meanwhile the basketball team, which has been mostly irrelevant for 25 years, plays to a packed house of screaming fans.

I admit I prefer football to basketball. Regardless, I am stunned at the difference in fan support between the two sports. I want to see all IU sports do well, but my true passion is IU football.

I get so tired of seeing people say if IU wants people to attend football games they need to put a winning team on the field. Meanwhile the basketball team, which has been mostly irrelevant for 25 years, plays to a packed house of screaming fans.

I admit I prefer football to basketball. Regardless, I am stunned at the difference in fan support between the two sports. I want to see all IU sports do well, but my true passion is IU football.

The odd thing is that college football is the one spot where real fan support can provide a true home field advantage in terms of difficulty for the other team to call audibles and simply call snap cadence and also provide a true sense of urgency and energy when our Defense is on the field.

For those of you who where there when we last beat Michigan you know what I'm talking about. The crowd helped win that football game. It was a big enough deal that Bo whined about us after the game.

That was about 45-48,000 people in the unenclosed version of Memorial Stadium. Imagine what 52,000 plus could do to an opponent in the new enclosed version (of course they'd have to stay for the whole game, which might be quite challenging for many)...

I don't understand why someone who would bother to buy a ticket and drive to the stadium wouldn't make a effort to actually help the team by sticking around to the final gun and making things difficult for the opponent... This will always baffle me...

Last edited:

Like you, Salum, my passion is football, but I don't believe the difference in fan support (basketball vs. football) is stunning or even surprising. Yes, IU basketball has fallen from its lofty perch, but it continues to recruit at a high level, puts guys in the NBA as high draft picks, is nationally ranked periodically and is not that many years removed from a #1 national ranking during much of the season, a regular season B1G title and a top seed in the NCAA tournament.

With respect to football, we all know the history and there's no point in rehashing it here. I will say, though, that we haven't been nationally ranked since the Mallory era and, in the years since Mallory was replaced, we've written the book on novel and excruciating ways to lose.

That said, I believe there are more than a few "bandwagon" fans who will jump on board when and if we start winning. We caught a glimpse of that in 2007 and it can happen again. There is one category in which we're currently Top 10 ranked, and that's the number of living alumni. Many of them have the means to travel and buy tickets. Count me among those in the "win and they will come" camp.

Basketball has a long history of winning which has left neither memories nor expectations. Football doesn't have that. It's counting on the passion and dedication of fans like us until winning is established.
Besides, there are several thousand empty seats at AH for every game any more, even high profile games like Purdue and Michigan St. AH also only holds 17K which makes it easier to sell out than a 53,000 seat football stadium.

I would imagine they would be assigned by the length of time you had season tickets for football but would have no bearing on seats for basketball.
Financial contributions will always be a part of the seat assignment process just as it is and always will be at every school.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT