ADVERTISEMENT

Rashawn Williams

That is fantastic. Sure hope we hold onto him, but what a great verbal to get now.

I have to say, I'm getting pretty optimistic about our future. I haven't felt this way about a coach since Hep. Allen has the toughness and yet love for his players at the same time. And what I like about him the most is when we play crappy and underperform, I can tell he is just as pissed as I am. (Hep was the same way, Lynch wasn't at all.....and Wilson, who could tell?) And I think that he really connects with some of these kids. Just think the type of class we can get with Allen after we win 7-8 games. I am always overly optimistic and because of that, i have tempered my bias the last few years and tried to be more realistic. Last year was just how I expected it from that realistic approach. But even realistically, I don't see how we don't improve every year from here on out, and I really expect a bowl trip this year.

Just think the type of class we can get with Allen after we win 7-8 games
The rise in recruiting under Allen is nothing short of astounding. He can't (yet) point to wins and bowls, which makes it even more remarkable. His recruiting record thusfar would suggest a Top 25 recruiting class after a six or seven win season this year and/or next.

Williams is 6.0 4star Allen and staff have signed more 6 5.9 5.8 5.7 in last 2 years than were signed in the previous 5 !If recruiting equals Wins then the next 2-4 seasons should be fun.

Ron Zook did this same type of thing in 2006. He was coming off dismal seasons in 2003-2006 and got highly rated recruits that ended in a Rose Bowl in 2007.

Let’s hope it translates.

& there it is, right on cue!! Williams' ranking plummeted on TOS, by more than an entire point!(that's a lot), dropping him from being easily the highest ranked recruit of the decade to now behind Sampson James(who's hoosier dump was only minor by comparison). Can always rely on the hoosier dump(opposite of bump)as punishment for committing to IU. Yeah I know, I know, just paranoia. Astonishingly consistent coincidences, we seem to experience.

Last edited:
Boiler1987 says that we only got him because our WR corps will be terrible next year. Lol.

Meh. He was also one of the GBI folks claiming that Purdue really didn't want Cam Williams. There are good players out there who would rather spend their college years at IU as opposed to W. Laffy. Hard for some to deal with that I suppose.

Last edited:
& there it is, right on cue!! Williams' ranking plummeted on TOS, by more than an entire point!(that's a lot), dropping him from being easily the highest ranked recruit of the decade to now behind Sampson James(who's hoosier stump was only minor by comparison). Can always rely on the hoosier stump(opposite of bump)as punishment for committing to IU. Yeah I know, I know, just paranoia. Astonishingly consistent coincidences, we seem to experience.

What was his ranking on the other compared to what it is now?

& there it is, right on cue!! Williams' ranking plummeted on TOS, by more than an entire point!(that's a lot), dropping him from being easily the highest ranked recruit of the decade to now behind Sampson James(who's hoosier dump was only minor by comparison). Can always rely on the hoosier dump(opposite of bump)as punishment for committing to IU. Yeah I know, I know, just paranoia. Astonishingly consistent coincidences, we seem to experience.
He's a 4-star recruit whose offer list reads like a "who's who" in college football. He committed to us. Does the other stuff really matter?

Reactions: vesuvius13
He's a 4-star recruit whose offer list reads like a "who's who" in college football. He committed to us. Does the other stuff really matter?

No but I understand his frustration.

That drop proves what I've been saying for years. The recruiting services pander to the top 30 fan bases who keep them afloat financially... Especially when it comes to those extra stars...

.9360 to .9241. 1.2 points, for a player that had already been evaluated & established at camps, has a history with the recruiting services, is a MASSIVE drop. Probably 1 of the largest I've seen.
This tells me that there is a very large money interest in these recruiting sites and they cater to those money interests.

What a phony look.

That drop proves what I've been saying for years. The recruiting services pander to the top 30 fan bases who keep them afloat financially... Especially when it comes to those extra stars...
I hear you. Yep, money talks and I guess one could argue that the system is rigged. But the main takeaway for me is that we got this guy, and a "get" like this would have been unfathomable for IU not long ago. Kudos to Coaches Hart and Allen. If we win six this year, we're going to see more 4-star guys coming to Bloomington.

Yes.....except that his final 5 does raise some questions with me----very unusual final 5 for a top 100 guy.

I get the 'playing time' explanation, but you also have to wonder how hard the OSUs, UMs, Penn States and the SEC royalty were recruiting him.

That said, we know he's very good. The only question is how good. We will see.

Also, maybe he'll bring a couple of his teammates along.

Yes.....except that his final 5 does raise some questions with me----very unusual final 5 for a top 100 guy.

I get the 'playing time' explanation, but you also have to wonder how hard the OSUs, UMs, Penn States and the SEC royalty were recruiting him.

You could also ask those questions about Moore a year ago. You are right we will have to wait and see how good he is but if he does what Moore did for PU then it will be great for IU.

Reactions: 76-1
CTA has talked from the very beginning about the culture that he wants for his team. At least half the current team was recruited by CKW. In a couple of years everyone in that locker room will have been on board since day one. And that will resonate with recruits.

It is important that the Hoosiers stay the course with the types of players that CTA wants. We saw the wheels fall off with some of CKW’s top recruits who had trouble calibrating their moral compasses. I am more interested in the philosophy and the depth that Coach Tom Allen is building on this team. It is more important then a bowl game but obviously it is difficult to measure.

CTA has talked from the very beginning about the culture that he wants for his team. At least half the current team was recruited by CKW. In a couple of years everyone in that locker room will have been on board since day one. And that will resonate with recruits.

It is important that the Hoosiers stay the course with the types of players that CTA wants. We saw the wheels fall off with some of CKW’s top recruits who had trouble calibrating their moral compasses. I am more interested in the philosophy and the depth that Coach Tom Allen is building on this team. It is more important then a bowl game but obviously it is difficult to measure.
I agree 100% and have been trying to tell people this since CTA has started. Look at Kirk Ferentz from Iowa. He's been there for over 20 years and those are his boys and have been developed under him the entire time their there.

This tells me that there is a very large money interest in these recruiting sites and they cater to those money interests.

What a phony look.

The guy just won the MVP of WRs at the camp and they “reward” him by actually dropping his RR?
If the kid had done nothing differently other than commit to Alabama on Monday, they would have bumped him up to a 5-star.

Actually, the Rivals network doesn’t have the amount of analysts to properly grade players so they end up tagging them with a rating without any evaluation.

I’d be interested in hearing from our board guest Mr. Helmholdt, who was there and watched the kid, to find the rationale for this drop? If he flat out admits it was because of his final 5, at least that helps to explain what heavily factors into these rankings: brand names.

If it matters that he's a 4* recruit, then by definition, YES! It matters! Why wouldn't it matter? Why even pay any attention to what anyone thinks about these kids, & how they're rated if that "other stuff" doesn't matter? Btw, that other stuff is the same stuff as him being rated a 4*--the exact same stuff. I don't understand why the?. I'm guessing you're coming from the "just be happy & don't complain", well sorry, I think it needs to be complained about, because it DOES matter, & it DOES affect us. No, not critically, but this kind of thing is why we're all here--recruiting. Ask CTA if it matters. Ask him if he wants to have a higher ranked class than Purdue, or anyone else, for that matter.

Last edited:

Yes it does matter.

Reactions: southernIN567
I have to confess, they can dump his ranking to zero stars, for all I care ... it's what he does on the gridiron that counts -- and stars assigned by a ranking service will neither enhance nor erode his skills.
Remember: The proof of the pudding is in the eating and the proof of the player is in the playing.

If it matters that he's a 4* recruit, then by definition, YES! It matters! Why wouldn't it matter? Why even pay any attention to what anyone thinks about these kids, & how they're rated if that "other stuff" doesn't matter? Btw, that other stuff is the same stuff as him being rated a 4*--the exact same stuff. I don't understand why the?. I'm guessing you're coming from the "just be happy & don't complain", well sorry, I think it needs to be complained about, because it DOES matter, & it DOES affect us. No, not critically, but this kind of thing is why we're all here--recruiting. Ask CTA if it matters. Ask him if he wants to have a higher ranked class than Purdue, or anyone else, for that matter.
My point was that the post-commitment numeric drop, serving as evidence that the recruiting services "punish" (your word) IU, doesn't really matter. And you acknowledged that your analysis might be a function of your own "paranoia" (your word). I won't comment further on that.

Williams was a 4-star, is a 4-star, and remains a great get. The theory that there's an anti-IU bias among the recruiting services is interesting. It doesn't diminish, though, this kid's value or the significance of his commitment to IU.

P.S. The all-caps writing style is kind of annoying.

Reactions: vesuvius13
My point was that the post-commitment numeric drop, serving as evidence that the recruiting services "punish" (your word) IU, doesn't really matter. And you acknowledged that your analysis might be a function of your own "paranoia" (your word). I won't comment further on that.

Williams was a 4-star, is a 4-star, and remains a great get. The theory that there's an anti-IU bias among the recruiting services is interesting. It doesn't diminish, though, this kid's value or the significance of his commitment to IU.

P.S. The all-caps writing style is kind of annoying.
You basically just elaborated on your 1st reply, nothing new added. The numeric drop(punishment--my word)does matter, as far as the rankings. Look, if you don't value the rankings, fine! Just say so, but at the same time, you keep pointing out that he's a 4*(your words), so this must matter, or not. Who knows. & I think it was obvious that paranoia(my word)was in jest, it's not paranoia, was the point. & actually, the drop in ranking does, sorry, I mean DOES diminish his value & significance in terms of recruiting rankings, quite measurably. If you're into that sort of thing. Now let's drop it, no one cares about our differences of opinion anyway.

P.S., stating that all caps is kind of annoying, is kind of annoying.

Last edited:

I wasn't surprised that Williams verballed to IU as he had expressed his interest in several of the Detroit newspapers a couple of weeks ago.

I wasn't familiar with Williams as his name was not one I could recall being mentioned on the MSU site.

I don't understand the drop in ranking. It seems to be the norm for non-traditional powers.

As for how hard the programs you mentioned were recruiting him I cannot say. I was not aware of Williams as there was little written about him on either of the MSU sites (247 & Rivals). MSU did extend an offer indicating some interest by the Spartans, but after March 2018 there were no updates regarding his recruitment.

Jim Comparoni who publishes Spartan Magazine and appears to be closer to the program than many was asked about Williams and his verbal to IU. Many questioned why MSU showed so little interest in pursuing this young man. His response was that MSU's interest in him waned early last year. He gave no reason to indicate who lost interest first, Williams, or MSU. Over the last several years some of the top in-state talent has left Michigan without ever considering either UM or MSU. They attempt to downgrade the talent of these individuals because they didn't express interest with the home state schools.

Personally I believe IU got a very good recruit who if he lives up to his potential will only strengthen IU as a program.

You could also ask those questions about Moore a year ago. You are right we will have to wait and see how good he is but if he does what Moore did for PU then it will be great for IU.

Moore might be the most impactful non QB in the league in decades.

probably the most impactful at PU in their history.

i can't even think of any B10 non QB who impacts a game as much as he.

a mini Barry Sanders at receiver.

Have we ever landed a 4 star at OL?

pre current system, but wasn't there a 5 star Bloomington South kid.

i'm guessing Barzilauskas was highly rated, though way pre current system.

remember it was big news locally when we got him.

probably numerous ones over the yrs that would be at least 4s under the current system.

Moore might be the most impactful non QB in the league in decades.

probably the most impactful at PU in their history.

i can't even think of any B10 non QB who impacts a game as much as he.

a mini Barry Sanders at receiver.

And he was a 3-star.

Some of these guys like that or a Tevin Coleman are underrated. Plenty of examples.

Rivals is going with the market value of the 4 and 5 stars. They are pretty much handed those guys on a silver platter without having to do a lot of homework. It’s the borderline 3-4 star kids that could explode. You just don’t know.

Always unnerving when a HS kid's last quote is "Right now, I'm a Hoosier, but never know what the future holds." That said, this guy seems like he genuinely values personal relationships and that IU felt comfortable from the start. I also think that when IU has a strong year this year and gets some big wins, it's only going to solidify his decision. I think he'll be a great Hoosier player. But in May, I find it best not to stress about HS signings too much until December signing day #1, where you can lock everyone down and you know for sure. IU's done a great job last 2 years and believe they will again this year too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT