ADVERTISEMENT

Ranked 4th in Lindy's Preseason

It's pretty hard to say you're replacing Octeus with a similar player considering Hill had worse stats than Octeus and Hill played in a weaker conference. It took Octeus a while to get it and he didn't really start becoming a factor until toward the second half of the season. Pretty tough to say that Hill will step in and be a replacement for him. I'll believe it when I see it. As for Edwards, I think if he plays the 3, he loses some of his mismatch advantages he had at the 4, but I'm sure he's going to be improved with the fresh/soph jump.
Who did Edwards line up against with IU last year?

It's pretty hard to say you're replacing Octeus with a similar player considering Hill had worse stats than Octeus and Hill played in a weaker conference. It took Octeus a while to get it and he didn't really start becoming a factor until toward the second half of the season. Pretty tough to say that Hill will step in and be a replacement for him. I'll believe it when I see it. As for Edwards, I think if he plays the 3, he loses some of his mismatch advantages he had at the 4, but I'm sure he's going to be improved with the fresh/soph jump.
He doesn't even need to be Octeus though offensively, just needs to not turn ball over and play D which he is supposedly good at. Octeus wasn't some juggernaut offensively.

People are underestimating Purdue's backcourt. Yes they are not strong at pg but they don't have to be. Mathias, Stephens, Davis, hill, Thompson, and you might as well throw Edwards in there because he handles the ball and shoots like a guard. That is very formidable to go along with their front court. We have 1 freshman center that is supposed to be good and 1 backup who was mediocre for Michigan. Our front court is much weaker than their backcourt and it's not close.
Nail on the head. Add into the equation that Purdue doesn't utilize a pg the way most teams do.

And I know you're just saying that because Peegs said it on the premie board

Painter didn't shorten up the roster until the conference started. That's the only reason Octeus wasn't getting the minutes early on. Painter admits that he should've shortened the bench sooner. Hill has been on campus all summer. Octeus got to Purdue shortly before the season started. Big difference!

and that is why Painter never wins big. College is a guard driven level. Burdue's backcourt just plain blows
There has not been 1 national championship team without having both good guard play and good big man play, and before you say uconn a couple years ago, go look at what their bigs did in the tournament. You need both and its not debatable

Reactions: Hoogolf
Yet, they dismantled IU's backcourt last year. You sure you want to get involved in this discussion?
congrats on beating a 20-14 disaster. yeah, I get it, IU is Burdue's baseline to measure success. Burdue has blown for years. They will be marginally better this year - if you get out of the first round, go ahead with that re-naming of Mackey ceremony.

There has not been 1 national championship team without having both good guard play and good big man play, and before you say uconn a couple years ago, go look at what their bigs did in the tournament. You need both and its not debatable
national title??? who said anything remotely close to that??? Burdue would do cartwheels for a sweet 16

congrats on beating a 20-14 disaster. yeah, I get it, IU is Burdue's baseline to measure success. Burdue has blown for years. They will be marginally better this year - if you get out of the first round, go ahead with that re-naming of Mackey ceremony.
But our guards are so awesome! In fact some here say best in the country! Oh wait why didn't we win the national title last year? Umm...

People would take your arguments more seriously if you were not so childish with the name calling and it makes real IU fans look bad.

We are comparing this years Purdue team to this years IU team. To do that we must look at last year. Are you saying that IU is drastically overrated coming into this year since they were a "disaster" last year and added only one 4* undersized big while losing a 4* undersized big and two other "bigs"? If you can't come back with a somewhat intelligent answer, then I will put you on ignore and you can flame as much as you want.

You said it's a guard driven game, and I said if you want to win big, you need both. Simple
it is a guard driven league - without question. Sure, it would be great to have 5 AA at every position but that is not realistic. Given the choice, give me great guard play and average inside guys over vice versa. Why do you think Villanova wins 28 games every year? How did Golden State just win the NBA title?

We are comparing this years Purdue team to this years IU team. To do that we must look at last year. Are you saying that IU is drastically overrated coming into this year since they were a "disaster" last year and added only one 4* undersized big while losing a 4* undersized big and two other "bigs"? If you can't come back with a somewhat intelligent answer, then I will put you on ignore and you can flame as much as you want.

I am saying this because Tom Crean is the coach and will somehow manage to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Any decent coach would sweep Burdue with IU roster

And I know you're just saying that because Peegs said it on the premie board
Huh? You know that's why I'm saying what I did? Uh, sure pal. Or it could be I can go to ESPN and look at his stats in his career. I can look at how he played against good teams. He's not Octeus. Octeus was very good defensively. Again, I'll believe he's going to step in and not miss a beat when I see it.

As for our weaknesses versus theirs, well, I think they're both similar in terms of how much of an impact they may have. We both have strengths and weakness.

How is Bryant undersize at 6'10 and 235 lbs

Reactions: Ibuildfurnaces
How is Bryant undersize at 6'10 and 235 lbs
For one, he was last measured at 6'9". He is undersized against Purdue where he'll have to play a 7'0" and 7'2" center. He's also used to playing with another guy as big or bigger than him on the same team. He can't do that this year. He never guarded the 5 in high school. He'd be the 4th tallest guy on our team. That's why I say he's undersized.

it is a guard driven league - without question. Sure, it would be great to have 5 AA at every position but that is not realistic. Given the choice, give me great guard play and average inside guys over vice versa. Why do you think Villanova wins 28 games every year? How did Golden State just win the NBA title?
You need an advantage over your opponent plain and simple. It doesn't matter how you get there. If a teams bigs dominate the other teams bigs and the guard play is just slightly worse, the team with the great bigs will win. And vice versa. Golden state won because they had more talented players at every position except for Lebron James. Put shaq on last years Cleveland team and the cavs would have won it without an "elite" guard.

Actually we shouldn't look at last year when comparing two teams THIS year.

Does that mean Purdue was a "disaster" last year as well considering you won one more game than we did and flamed out of the tourney in the same round? Last year was underwhelming for both teams.

Looking at THIS year, there are many things to consider. We addressed our biggest weakness more so than Purdue did. Purdue added to their strengths more than IU did. IU's schedule is easier than Purdue's this year. Both teams have talent. I would think Purdue will be more consistent but I believe IU has a higher ceiling. Doesn't mean they're going to reach it, but I think, as others have stated, college is a very guard driven game especially in the tourney. It's tough to say where Purdue and IU will land in the B10 because of the unbalanced schedules, but I think IU's path is easier even though Purdue may be more consistent than IU. I think both are top four/five in the conference.

For one, he was last measured at 6'9". He is undersized against Purdue where he'll have to play a 7'0" and 7'2" center. He's also used to playing with another guy as big or bigger than him on the same team. He can't do that this year. He never guarded the 5 in high school. He'd be the 4th tallest guy on our team. That's why I say he's undersized.
Not very many teams in the country has that kind of size and how has Bryant been use to playing with bigger players because when I saw his team play last year they only had one other player his size and he came off the bench.

Actually we shouldn't look at last year when comparing two teams THIS year.

Does that mean Purdue was a "disaster" last year as well considering you won one more game than we did and flamed out of the tourney in the same round? Last year was underwhelming for both teams.

Looking at THIS year, there are many things to consider. We addressed our biggest weakness more so than Purdue did. Purdue added to their strengths more than IU did. IU's schedule is easier than Purdue's this year. Both teams have talent. I would think Purdue will be more consistent but I believe IU has a higher ceiling. Doesn't mean they're going to reach it, but I think, as others have stated, college is a very guard driven game especially in the tourney. It's tough to say where Purdue and IU will land in the B10 because of the unbalanced schedules, but I think IU's path is easier even though Purdue may be more consistent than IU. I think both are top four/five in the conference.
How exactly did IU address their weakness more? The gained one 4* "big". They lost one 4* big and 2 other bigs. You must have missed my earlier question: who lined up against Edwards last year for IU?

You need an advantage over your opponent plain and simple. It doesn't matter how you get there. If a teams bigs dominate the other teams bigs and the guard play is just slightly worse, the team with the great bigs will win. And vice versa. Golden state won because they had more talented players at every position except for Lebron James. Put shaq on last years Cleveland team and the cavs would have won it without an "elite" guard.
wrong.

How exactly did IU address their weakness more? The gained one 4* "big". They lost one 4* big and 2 other bigs. You must have missed my earlier question: who lined up against Edwards last year for IU?
LOL at Hanner being a real 4 star. Once he stepped on the IU campus, that lie was exposed

You have to look at the whole picture and look at it objectively. It's not as simple as saying "we added one 4* big and lost one 4* big." Anyone with a brain can see the difference between Perea and Bryant. One was a McDonald's All American who is a Top 30 player who should be able to contribute right away whereas one was a Top 50 player who was ranked due to potential. Clearly Perea didn't develop as some thought he would. That's a given. But if you honestly think that we're in the same boat with Perea as we are with Bryant, then we can be done and I'll put you on ignore. I'm not calling Bryant Zeller or Vonleh, but we heard these SAME types of comments about their impacts as freshman as well and they both did very well as freshmen. Playing Collin Hartman, Holt and Perea at the 5 position was a huge disadvantage for us last year. Adding Bryant in will shore up our defense (somewhat) just by having someone who can protect the rim unlike anything we had last year. Guys were playing out of position last year and that was a root problem with our defense. Yes, we have to have some other guys buy into team defense, but a big, big part of it was the lack of an interior post player on defense. So yes, we added a McDonald's All American at our weakest spot. Purdue added a transfer from a weak conference with underwhelming stats. It's not rocket science.

Williams lined up against Edwards last year.

Not very many teams in the country has that kind of size and how has Bryant been use to playing with bigger players because when I saw his team play last year they only had one other player his size and he came off the bench.
Bryant played alongside 6'10" 300 pound Levi Cook most of the time. Cook manned the middle.

You're the only person I've heard to call Bryant undersized. At the McDonald's All American game he was measured at 6'10 240 with a 7'5.5 wingspan. That's not undersized, at all. It's not like Bryant guarded someone who was 6'5 all through his high school career. He's gone up against the best bigs in his class and did pretty well. He held his own. Literally nobody other than some Purdue fans call him undersized.

You have to look at the whole picture and look at it objectively. It's not as simple as saying "we added one 4* big and lost one 4* big." Anyone with a brain can see the difference between Perea and Bryant. One was a McDonald's All American who is a Top 30 player who should be able to contribute right away whereas one was a Top 50 player who was ranked due to potential. Clearly Perea didn't develop as some thought he would. That's a given. But if you honestly think that we're in the same boat with Perea as we are with Bryant, then we can be done and I'll put you on ignore. I'm not calling Bryant Zeller or Vonleh, but we heard these SAME types of comments about their impacts as freshman as well and they both did very well as freshmen. Playing Collin Hartman, Holt and Perea at the 5 position was a huge disadvantage for us last year. Adding Bryant in will shore up our defense (somewhat) just by having someone who can protect the rim unlike anything we had last year. Guys were playing out of position last year and that was a root problem with our defense. Yes, we have to have some other guys buy into team defense, but a big, big part of it was the lack of an interior post player on defense. So yes, we added a McDonald's All American at our weakest spot. Purdue added a transfer from a weak conference with underwhelming stats. It's not rocket science.

Williams lined up against Edwards last year.
Does Bryant mean that the other IU players will not have to play out of position? Bryant was a 4 in high school. He now has to play the 5.

Who will guard Edwards this year?

Does Bryant mean that the other IU players will not have to play out of position? Bryant was a 4 in high school. He now has to play the 5.

Who will guard Edwards this year?
Lol. He's not a 4, he played more at the 5 than anything else.

Williams or Hartman would probably guard Edwards.

You're the only person I've heard to call Bryant undersized. At the McDonald's All American game he was measured at 6'10 240 with a 7'5.5 wingspan. That's not undersized, at all. It's not like Bryant guarded someone who was 6'5 all through his high school career. He's gone up against the best bigs in his class and did pretty well. He held his own. Literally nobody other than some Purdue fans call him undersized.

no one will call Albert 'undersized'.

when can we get some more updated mile times about him?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT