ADVERTISEMENT

Question: T.J. Simmons

Mar 4, 2016
I apologize if this has already been discussed, and I know he was a senior this year, but I don't recall him playing in 2016. He was a decent LB. Has he left the program? Can he become a medical redshirt, and play in 2017? Thanks.

I think he was just deemed to be too slow. In the Pinstripe Bowl against Duke the announcers talked about how slow Indiana's linebackers were.

I think he was just deemed to be too slow. In the Pinstripe Bowl against Duke the announcers talked about how slow Indiana's linebackers were.

Per Hoosier Scoop before the MSU game.

"It’s also worth noting that linebacker T.J. Simmons, who has not played in a game this season, is no longer listed on the two-deep. Simmons is dealing with a knee injury and has spent most of his time working with the scout-team players. IU coach Kevin Wilson has said Simmons could take a redshirt year."

Reactions: raybo333
The above is what I had heard: that he was injured and was taking a medical redshirt.

I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do within the structure of an Allen coached Defense.

Reactions: raybo333
From what I heard he is done. I always liked him, but that type of LB is a relic in today's game. All the best to him.

Or he was hurt. Also, who cares what the pinstripe bowl guys said. Our linebackers were not an issue this year and if Simmons come back he will only make them stronger.

Or he was hurt. Also, who cares what the pinstripe bowl guys said. Our linebackers were not an issue this year and if Simmons come back he will only make them stronger.
He was behind several guys before his injury because of his lack of quickness. I appreciate his efforts but he wasn't going to play much in the 4-2-5.

I apologize if this has already been discussed, and I know he was a senior this year, but I don't recall him playing in 2016. He was a decent LB. Has he left the program? Can he become a medical redshirt, and play in 2017? Thanks.
He's no longer with the program. He was injured this season, but even before that, he really didn't fit into what we were trying to do defensively. He was not very quick of foot and a decent tackler (led team I think, but missed a lot too). He did try hard and had a ton of heart, but he just wasn't a Big ten quality LB. Knorr putting him in the spots he did, showed how little Knorr knew about defensive positioning.

So Simmons has moved on. No word as to where he will try to play next season. He did play on the scout team some last season in practice.

Same thing goes for Clyde Newton. He switched to Fullback...got hurt game 1....and has since left the program.

TJ is just not built for our new 4-2-5 which needs LBs that can operate "in space"

I think he was strong between the tackles but not as good on the outside.

I thought they might have seen what he could have done at D End.

I wish him the best where ever life takes him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT