ADVERTISEMENT

Quantum-proof??

NPT

Aug 28, 2001
Some of this is kinda scary. Obviously the big companies may be able to make things quantum-proof but what about all the gadgets that are attached to our networks?

Some of this is kinda scary. Obviously the big companies may be able to make things quantum-proof but what about all the gadgets that are attached to our networks?

you guys get busy on quantum computers.

meanwhile, we need to build manual controls and over rides into all of our basic infrastructure.

unfortunately, total idiocracy rules.

I'm not trying to go all Kaczynski here.

giphy.gif

but seriously, can you imagine how great it would feel to unplug from the internet for a while? There's undoubtedly some short-term withdrawal, but I'd imagine being much happier after a few weeks.

giphy.gif

but seriously, can you imagine how great it would feel to unplug from the internet for a while? There's undoubtedly some short-term withdrawal, but I'd imagine being much happier after a few weeks.
My oldest's grade at school is going to a camp for a few days and one of the main concerns from some of the kids was finding out how they could continue their Snapchat streak given that they are being told not to take their phones. 3 days. And that is one of the major concerns they are flagging their teachers on.

My oldest's grade at school is going to a camp for a few days and one of the main concerns from some of the kids was finding out how they could continue their Snapchat streak given that they are being told not to take their phones. 3 days. And that is one of the major concerns they are flagging their teachers on.
Oh the infamous streaks. I felt that comment. Remember when we were kids and we only had to worry about getting addicted to cigarettes and drugs.

Not to worry. Some entrepreneurial kid will sneak in a phone and sell time, at a premium. "Psst. Hey, kid. You want some of this? $5.00 per minute. Some good shit here."

Not to worry. Some entrepreneurial kid will sneak in a phone and sell time, at a premium. "Psst. Hey, kid. You want some of this? $5.00 per minute. Some good shit here."
Apparently they are looking to share their login with someone not going who can continue the streak for them.

These are mostly 13 year olds. The fact that they have Snapchat at all is slightly troubling IMO.

Reactions: 76-1

But seriously, this off grid stuff is addictive. I'm already sketching out solar solutions for my cabin so I can maintain some level of convenience.

I'm not trying to go all Kaczynski here.
Love that stuff. I watch all of those shows and think how great it would be - buying Alaska, big sky living - log cabin living - Maine cabin masters

Reactions: All4You
No SBX living.
Oh I'd be useless. A group of us from school have joked for years that we are going to buy a big ranch when we're all done with work. Somewhere out in Montana. Then Yellowstone came on and we said we want it to look just like that. Then another guy aptly noted if we did all go together we'd have no Rips and all Jamies. We couldn't do shit on it

Love that stuff. I watch all of those shows and think how great it would be - buying Alaska, big sky living - log cabin living - Maine cabin masters
I'm convinced at this point that production companies just scour Youtube these days to find new shows. Some of these Youtube channels are getting 2-5 million views on a video. Gotta figure that's how Maine Cabin Masters came about. Speaking of them, they're high like 50% of the time right?

I'm convinced at this point that production companies just scour Youtube these days to find new shows. Some of these Youtube channels are getting 2-5 million views on a video. Gotta figure that's how Maine Cabin Masters came about. Speaking of them, they're high like 50% of the time right?
Oh for sure! Have you ever been to Maine? I did some work at the University and traveled around a bit. Strangest place I've ever been. They all have sheds/garages behind their houses that are triple the size of their homes

Oh for sure! Have you ever been to Maine? I did some work at the University and traveled around a bit. Strangest place I've ever been. They all have sheds/garages behind their houses that are triple the size of their homes
Oddly, I've never really been in the Northeast for any extended period of time. Never set foot in New York outside of JFK.

It's on the list of course. I suspect once the kid is off the college and the wife and I have more time we're going to be traveling quite a bit.

Oddly, I've never really been in the Northeast for any extended period of time. Never set foot in New York outside of JFK.

It's on the list of course. I suspect once the kid is off the college and the wife and I have more time we're going to be traveling quite a bit.
Put Maine on your list. It's gorgeous. Acadia National Park. Bar Harbor. I loved it. I want to go back during whale season. But it's a bitch to get to. Really beautiful, weird place. No billboards. Very serene. Very rough too though.

giphy.gif

I can't wait for that day. I do it a couple of times/year for a week at a time. Nothing like turning on your OOO with the message "Beginning Saturday the 1st, I'll have no access to phone or email until Monday the 10th. In my absence, please call one of the non load-bearing members of the team if you need help. You'll appreciate me even more when I get back."

• Haha
Reactions: All4You
Put Maine on your list. It's gorgeous. Acadia National Park. Bar Harbor. I loved it. I want to go back during whale season. But it's a bitch to get to. Really beautiful, weird place. No billboards. Very serene. Very rough too though.
Between my freshman and sophomore years in college, I responded to an add in a student newspaper for summer camp counselors in Casco, Maine. Campers were all rich Jewish kids from Boston, New York, and Philly. I remember that one of the camper's last name was Lender...his grandfather was the owner of Lender Bagels.
It lasted from mid-June until mid-August. I went a couple of weeks early to work on setting it up. The coldest night I ever spent was early June in Maine. I coached basketball and baseball. Most of the counselors were from the midwest, but there were some from the East, mostly to coach lacrosse, and a couple from either Scotland or Ireland. They coached soccer.
Good times.

Between my freshman and sophomore years in college, I responded to an add in a student newspaper for summer camp counselors in Casco, Maine. Campers were all rich Jewish kids from Boston, New York, and Philly. I remember that one of the camper's last name was Lender...his grandfather was the owner of Lender Bagels.
It lasted from mid-June until mid-August. I went a couple of weeks early to work on setting it up. The coldest night I ever spent was early June in Maine. I coached basketball and baseball. Most of the counselors were from the midwest, but there were some from the East, mostly to coach lacrosse, and a couple from either Scotland or Ireland. They coached soccer.
Good times.
That is awesome

Goose Rocks Beach. Kennebunkport and Kennebunk.

Did a week-long schooner cruise four years ago when my FIL had the whole family along for his 90th birthday celebration. This was out of Rockland; the American Eagle. Help with sails and clean-up, etc. Sleep in what's practically a coffin. No shower; no shaving. Outside of slipping and falling on a rocky beach and ripping the Subscapularis muscle off my humerus and thus requiring rotator cuff surgery later, we had a great time. Great sailing weather. Beautiful views back to the Maine shore. Stops in several small towns up and down the coast. Lobster, beer and bourbon all the time.

Goose Rocks Beach. Kennebunkport and Kennebunk.

Did a week-long schooner cruise four years ago when my FIL had the whole family along for his 90th birthday celebration. This was out of Rockland; the American Eagle. Help with sails and clean-up, etc. Sleep in what's practically a coffin. No shower; no shaving. Outside of slipping and falling on a rocky beach and ripping the Subscapularis muscle off my humerus and thus requiring rotator cuff surgery later, we had a great time. Great sailing weather. Beautiful views back to the Maine shore. Stops in several small towns up and down the coast. Lobster, beer and bourbon all the time.
Damn that's painful!! But wow what a trip!!! Incredible!!!

That is awesome
As I have said, I grew up in a small town (redneck some may say), so my trip to Maine was my first airplane. A few of us took a day off before the campers got there and drove to Boston, which was amazing for a bumpkin like me. Also, up in Maine, I remember stopping at a couple of roadside shacks and eating lobster at old wooden picnic tables on paper plates with plastic utensils...pretty cheap, too.
I thought Moosehead beer was pretty exotic.

As I have said, I grew up in a small town (redneck some may say), so my trip to Maine was my first airplane. A few of us took a day off before the campers got there and drove to Boston, which was amazing for a bumpkin like me. Also, up in Maine, I remember stopping at a couple of roadside shacks and eating lobster at old wooden picnic tables on paper plates with plastic utensils...pretty cheap, too.
I thought Moosehead beer was pretty exotic.
Yeah that's an amazing experience. I can't think of anything in the world better than eating lobster on a paper plate on a picnic table in Maine

Our concern at camp was finding soft drinks. Some entreprenurial and larconist kids stole canoes after hours and got Cokes at Ma and Pa's Bait Shop and sold them.

Last edited:

You need to book at least a week in Boston. Preferably when the Red Sox are in town.

It's a great city.

Reactions: larsIU
The secure socket layer that runs HTTPS and VPN tunneling inside a secure socket has long been known to be obsolete once the first quantum computer becomes operational. The use of entropy (random number generator) is what makes the search for session keys … computationally unappealing.

It still takes a Ph.D in physics to build simple quantum devices …like a flip flop… it’s probably safer to believe it will happen someday.

The secure socket layer that runs HTTPS and VPN tunneling inside a secure socket has long been known to be obsolete once the first quantum computer becomes operational. The use of entropy (random number generator) is what makes the search for session keys … computationally unappealing.

It still takes a Ph.D in physics to build simple quantum devices …like a flip flop… it’s probably safer to believe it will happen someday.
Our big problem is China has a good lead on quantum computing. There is not a fear a random hacker can get there. But China can and will and we better be ready.

I was at a security con a couple years ago. People were convinced we were going to be ready. My fear, we don't know that we are ready without a quantum computer to test our readiness and if the Chinese get their first, we will have no way of knowing.

That is a way of saying DoD money should be pouring into quantum computing.

Our big problem is China has a good lead on quantum computing. There is not a fear a random hacker can get there. But China can and will and we better be ready.

I was at a security con a couple years ago. People were convinced we were going to be ready. My fear, we don't know that we are ready without a quantum computer to test our readiness and if the Chinese get their first, we will have no way of knowing.

Once upon a time, such R&D was what DARPA did. … with a black budget.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
Once upon a time, such R&D was what DARPA did. … with a black budget.
I am sure they still do, and maybe DARPA is ahead of the Chinese and we just don't know it.

Back in the early 2000s I was at a computer security training and the presenter said that just about any good math major at any decent university in the world was approached by the NSA. He said it was as if they wanted a monopoly. I wonder if that is still true? To keep up with China's population advantage it would pretty much take that sort of effort.

Oh I'd be useless. A group of us from school have joked for years that we are going to buy a big ranch when we're all done with work. Somewhere out in Montana. Then Yellowstone came on and we said we want it to look just like that. Then another guy aptly noted if we did all go together we'd have no Rips and all Jamies. We couldn't do shit on it

Hey. I've spent time in Montana. It's beyond fantastic. I'll manage it for $2,000,000 per year.

Hey. I've spent time in Montana. It's beyond fantastic. I'll manage it for $2,000,000 per year.
Please. I told you I watch Yellowstone. Apparently you can find cowboys with a sordid history looking for a place to hide to run things for room and board

Reactions: hookyIU1990

don't disagree, but there is no real defense other than building in manual controls and over rides into all essential infrastructure.

trying to match computing power is worthy of pursuing, but only having manual over rides and controls of infrasture and communications is actual protection, and not having them is insanity and malfeasance of leadership.

in a cyber war, he with the best non cyber set up wins.

There was a show on history briefly, Downeast Dickering. Interesting and hate to use the word but a lot of ''hillbillies'' in Maine compared to what one would think.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT