ADVERTISEMENT

QB Brandon Dawkins to IU...

His stats as a runner are pretty amazing. He almost always makes the right read and is an elite athlete. If he can make simple throws, we can have a pretty damn good offense, but yeah, he will need to show better accuracy. I’m still a PR fan, but I love the depth right now.

If he can run like Crazy Legs I might get excited.

Reactions: vesuvius13
He is an electric athlete. The guy can make plays with his legs and through the air. He isn’t a polished game manager, but he may be able to break open some of those grinder games. I don’t expect DeBoard to hand over the keys to him right away, but he has a great chance to win the starting job. I would rather have one quarterback, but DeBoard acknowledged the deficiencies within our quarterback room, and made a good move to mitigate it. The reality is that we are another year or two away from having enough experience to win with the guys we have.

Great get. I look for him to start every game, and likely play every down, barring injuries. This won’t be a QB battle. Exactly what we needed.

Reactions: cshartle123
If fans haven’t figured out now, IU’s offense is a dual-threat RPO scheme going forward. Think Antwaan Randel-El, Josh Dobbs, Tre Roberson, Kellen Lewis.
Hell - that’s the type of offense 80% of college teams run. For his own reasons, Coach Wilson chose a pro style type of QB: big frames, height, strong arms. It worked well when our OL had great protection but 2016 was like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. Not good with a suspect OL and limited mobility.

To me it’s a no-brainer:
Unless your OL is dominating, you get a guy who can get out of trouble and spread the field.

As long as this staff is here, you’ll see a DT guy at QB. I think you have to have that in today’s game.

I don’t think this staff makes promises to any guy. They likely told Dawkins the same as they told Penix and Ramsey and Tronti: best guy plays. Last year proved they will pull a starter if they aren’t performing.

The real beauty of this new paradigm at the QB position is that if each is given a carefully measured amount of playing time in each game leading up to M$U all of them could very well have "fresh legs" entering the Big Ten season.

If he can run like Crazy Legs I might get excited.
I watched some tape the guy can fly. He ran past the Washington DB's a couple times and they couldn't catch him so thats his strength. If they load the box he can zing it too. Could be a surprise time will tell. Also, who knows maybe we will run a two headed monster now that we can? Not a huge fan of that but if it keeps the opponent off balance I'm all for it.

Man I don't know why I bother to even respond here...you've always got the right answer...kudos.
I'm simply offering opinions. Not sure what it was about my post that set you off. I'm sure you love the Hoosiers as much as the rest of us, but your posts (at least the recent ones) seem to be little more than sarcasm and/or ad hominem attacks. How about something substantive about IU football?

Reactions: RBB89
If fans haven’t figured out now, IU’s offense is a dual-threat RPO scheme going forward. Think Antwaan Randel-El, Josh Dobbs, Tre Roberson, Kellen Lewis.
Hell - that’s the type of offense 80% of college teams run. For his own reasons, Coach Wilson chose a pro style type of QB: big frames, height, strong arms. It worked well when our OL had great protection but 2016 was like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. Not good with a suspect OL and limited mobility.

To me it’s a no-brainer:
Unless your OL is dominating, you get a guy who can get out of trouble and spread the field.

As long as this staff is here, you’ll see a DT guy at QB. I think you have to have that in today’s game.

I don’t think this staff makes promises to any guy. They likely told Dawkins the same as they told Penix and Ramsey and Tronti: best guy plays. Last year proved they will pull a starter if they aren’t performing.
I’m just glad we are establishing a clear direction/identity to recruit for (at QB). I think one thing that hurt KW was he would recruit both DTs and pro style and then attempt to run the same offense with both types.

Put Ramsey and Dawkins on the field together, QB/RB, call it a wildwildcat. No, I am not kidding. Mix things up, have some fun.
I don't know about that particular formation but THAT'S the kind of creativity I'm hoping to see out of DeBord, given our QB stable.
First and 10 on our own 30? Heck! Run a double-reverse, triple option! :)

I'm simply offering opinions. Not sure what it was about my post that set you off. I'm sure you love the Hoosiers as much as the rest of us, but your posts (at least the recent ones) seem to be little more than sarcasm and/or ad hominem attacks. How about something substantive about IU football?
He needs a cocktail or a few. Im sure he cant wait for stadium alcohol sales. ;)

All I can say is this will make things interesting in the fall. He could be the next Russell Wilson, or the equivalent of a graduate assistant coach. If the players and coaches take it as a positive it is a good move (looking positively at either option above or anything in between). If this causes problems in the locker room it could be a problem.

You misunderstood...I was sincere...your posts are right on. I meant you usually say exactly what I'm thinking...holster the gun my friend...just a little jumpy...vbg...I'm on your side...lol

Pretty impressive stuff...I like the acquisition of Dawkins...solid move. However, selective promo tapes mean very little to me. Hell, most any player can put together career highlights that make them look great. Problem is, they don't make a tape of the blunders, missed opportunities, or bone head plays too. Lagow can put together an awesome tape review of his work at IU...but he still wasn't a good QB. Dawkins completion percentage is a real concern. I thought our coaches set a 60% limit you might say for performance? The kid can flat out run...love that...but he must be able to pass too and 53.8% wont cut it. Lagow was better than that. We don't need another QB that has to be protected from an inherent weakness that can be exploited. Wont work for us. Does seem to be a better game general. Not saying he cant get to what we need from him, but he does have a way to go...and Arizona has good QB coaches sooo...here's hoping.

Pretty impressive stuff...I like the acquisition of Dawkins...solid move. However, selective promo tapes mean very little to me. Hell, most any player can put together career highlights that make them look great. Problem is, they don't make a tape of the blunders, missed opportunities, or bone head plays too. Lagow can put together an awesome tape review of his work at IU...but he still wasn't a good QB. Dawkins completion percentage is a real concern. I thought our coaches set a 60% limit you might say for performance? The kid can flat out run...love that...but he must be able to pass too and 53.8% wont cut it. Lagow was better than that. We don't need another QB that has to be protected from an inherent weakness that can be exploited. Wont work for us. Does seem to be a better game general. Not saying he cant get to what we need from him, but he does have a way to go...and Arizona has good QB coaches sooo...here's hoping.

In Debord I Trust
(on the football field rather than in the metaphysical sense;)).

Debord is our Col. Hannibal Smith:
"Give me a minute I'm good,
give me an hour I'm great,
Give me six months and I'm unbeatable."

//Now I doubt he (Debord) has or ever would say something like that given that he's seen all the odd bounces a football can take but it still makes for a great fake quote...;):D//

If there was a clear cut leader at QB, it's doubtful IU coaches would have gone after Dawkins. He will definitely be given a chance to start. If Penix or Ramsey beat him out, that could mean good things for IU's QB situation going forward.
Per Mike Miller in the Blmtn HT:

Although Dawkins will compete with Ramsey and Penix for the starting job when fall camp begins in August, the 6-foot-3, 210-pounder is the presumed frontrunner for the job.

“To be able to bring in an individual that’s been a starter, that has his maturity and his experience was very, very important to us,” Allen said on Wednesday’s Big Ten teleconference. “We sat the other guys down and talked them through it before we even brought him on a visit. They understood.”

Although Dawkins will compete with Ramsey and Penix for the starting job when fall camp begins in August, the 6-foot-3, 210-pounder is the presumed frontrunner for the job.

“To be able to bring in an individual that’s been a starter, that has his maturity and his experience was very, very important to us,” Allen said on Wednesday’s Big Ten teleconference. “We sat the other guys down and talked them through it before we even brought him on a visit. They understood.”

If we run the QB as much as I think we're going to run the QB we may end up seeing three or even four different guys out there over the course of the full season...

This is evidence of good management - - bringing the QB group together, communicating the plan, answering questions, reminding everyone of their individual value and importance to the program, etc. The more I see from this guy (Allen), the more I like him.

And I'm loving the way this is lining up - - multiple quality QBs, at various stages in terms of remaining years of eligibility. We haven't had this at IU in years.

I also like the addition of Dawkins very much, leaving the QB room 1 injury away from playing a freshman with no experience is likely not a recipe for success (even if Penix is as good as early reports suggest).
Just food for thought, someone brought up Russell Wilson ( and I’m not suggesting Dawkins can or will be anywhere near as good), he had a completion percentage of 57% in three years at NC State. In his final year at UW it was 72%, so we’ll have to hope we can generate a run game and ask him to complete the throws that best suit him.

This helps calm some of my fears of the other guys being put off by something like this.

I'll trust CTA, in retrospect this can't be any worse than the last couple years of QB play.

His last year he was at 61%+

This is evidence of good management - - bringing the QB group together, communicating the plan, answering questions, reminding everyone of their individual value and importance to the program, etc. The more I see from this guy (Allen), the more I like him.

And I'm loving the way this is lining up - - multiple quality QBs, at various stages in terms of remaining years of eligibility. We haven't had this at IU in years.

Allen is impressive sometimes, no doubt.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
Our offense will look like a heavyweight boxers tactics: work the body, work the body, move, work the body, and when they get tired and drop their gloves a little (bring that safety up tight in the box) we'll go for the head and the knockout (deep ball, over the top...

This move tells me that we intend to utilize the QB as serious part of the running game and as such we'll need a two and possibly even three man rotation at that position...

I see him as a great pickup, and I'm strutting around my office this morning (our kitchen, my wife is looking at me strangely;))...
I like one guy that is a leader in the huddle and takes charge of the offense. Rotating people in and out never seems as effective.

I am curious about this with Ramsey, Tronti, and Penix thinking they came to IU with a chance to play. One of them won't ever play and one might have to wait a year to be the backup and the other could play if they beat out Dawkins for the job.

I will like the move if we can use Dawkins in the backfield as someone that could take a pitch and can read the defense for a run or pass. For that to be effective, he has to be in the game more than just the play he is involved with.

I like one guy that is a leader in the huddle and takes charge of the offense. Rotating people in and out never seems as effective.

I am curious about this with Ramsey, Tronti, and Penix thinking they came to IU with a chance to play. One of them won't ever play and one might have to wait a year to be the backup and the other could play if they beat out Dawkins for the job.

I will like the move if we can use Dawkins in the backfield as someone that could take a pitch and can read the defense for a run or pass. For that to be effective, he has to be in the game more than just the play he is involved with.
I would guess that one of the major reasons for pursuing Dawkins was to increase the odds that Penix can redshirt and then have four years to be "the guy" without having to spend one of those years learning while playing on Saturday. If Dawkins is expected to be the starter, this insures that we have an experienced and competent backup in Ramsey, and a guy in Tronti who can play should we have to.

The one thing I read into this is that the staff is not confident that Tronti is a viable option for this season. Knowing that we are going to employ a RPO -style offense, we are going to have situations where we are going to have to play a backup guy at least some of the time. I get the sense that the staff does not want Tronti to have to be that option in close games and does not want Penix to have to burn a redshirt in the event that we have to use a 3rd-string guy.

Reactions: ESalum86
Our offense will look like a heavyweight boxers tactics: work the body, work the body, move, work the body, and when they get tired and drop their gloves a little (bring that safety up tight in the box) we'll go for the head and the knockout (deep ball, over the top...

His throwing motion overall looks pretty awkward......I doubt very much that we see a Russell Wilson like improvement in his passing.....I would think if he ends up at QB we'd have a lot of run/pass option, QB draws, dink and dump roll-out pass/run option plays and long passes....that is, avoid mid-range passing as much as possible.

I would guess that one of the major reasons for pursuing Dawkins was to increase the odds that Penix can redshirt and then have four years to be "the guy" without having to spend one of those years learning while playing on Saturday. If Dawkins is expected to be the starter, this insures that we have an experienced and competent backup in Ramsey, and a guy in Tronti who can play should we have to.

The one thing I read into this is that the staff is not confident that Tronti is a viable option for this season. Knowing that we are going to employ a RPO -style offense, we are going to have situations where we are going to have to play a backup guy at least some of the time. I get the sense that the staff does not want Tronti to have to be that option in close games and does not want Penix to have to burn a redshirt in the event that we have to use a 3rd-string guy.

I think you're right about Tronti, but I also suspect it means that they're not completely sold on Ramsey & Penix either.

I think you're right about Tronti, but I also suspect it means that they're not completely sold on Ramsey & Penix either.
Ramsey and Penix still have a fair shot to win the job. The problem Allen solved is that they won’t. We got better at QB, and that’s the bottom line.

That is good reasoning if Tronti isn't as good as we have been told. I was expecting Tronti could be a player for us. If Penix is that good and will wait a year, it is a good plan.

It takes away some of the excitement of the Spring Game of who will start to potentially who will be the backup.

This helps calm some of my fears of the other guys being put off by something like this.
I am curious about this with Ramsey, Tronti, and Penix thinking they came to IU with a chance to play.
Allen says they understand. If they're the kind of kids I hope they are, they'll be okay with putting the team above their own personal ambitions this year, if that's what it comes to. Ramsey has time to be the man, as does Penix. Tronti may be the odd man out, but he could also be the next man up in future seasons.

Lets see what happens. Ramsey may turn out to be better this fall than we expect, and Dawkins may not be as good as we think. Nothing is set in stone. That's what practices are for.

This is a good problem to have.

Reactions: 76-1 and iueyedoc99
ADVERTISEMENT