ADVERTISEMENT

QB Brandon Dawkins to IU...

IMO Penix will be the starter at some point in 2018
So Dawkins adds (a) depth, and (b) competition at the QB level? That's it? That likely is enough, don't get me wrong . . . just trying to sort through whatever repercussions there might be from this guy joining the Hoosiers.

Seems kinda like Zaire at Florida last year.

So Dawkins adds (a) depth, and (b) competition at the QB level? That's it? That likely is enough, don't get me wrong . . . just trying to sort through whatever repercussions there might be from this guy joining the Hoosiers.

I doubt there’s going to be any repercussions. We have four scholarship quarterbacks (three of which are freshmen and sophomores), and then Taylor, who is going to be a cornerback but have some offensive packages.

Despite what KW did his last few years, this is how most teams manage a roster.

Reactions: mk23 and IUgradman
Eligible immediately for one year.

Check out his you tube videos. Big, strong, fast, shifty. Has averaged nearly 7 yards per carry for his career.rushing. His passing #s overall aren't good, but he's averaged 1 yard more per pass attempt (not completion) than Peyton Ramsey. Has a strong arm. Probably lacks touch. TD/Int ratio is not good.

Reactions: IUgradman
Check out his you tube videos. Big, strong, fast, shifty. Has averaged nearly 7 yards per carry for his career.rushing. His passing #s overall aren't good, but he's averaged 1 yard more per pass attempt (not completion) than Peyton Ramsey. Has a strong arm. Probably lacks touch. TD/Int ratio is not good.

From the way Arizona fans describe him, passing it he's basically as inconsistent/streaky as Lagow was for us.

Reactions: RBB89
From the way Arizona fans describe him, passing it he's basically as inconsistent/streaky as Lagow was for us.
Yes. He is an elite runner and in terms of making the correct reads on the option, but we will have to see how his accuracy stands.

The upside is he has legs to get out of trouble. When all you can do is rely on passing, you don't have anything to fall back on should that fail you any given Saturday.

This, IMO, is an outstanding get and it's open competition, as it should be. The guy is a veteran QB. Anyone who watches college football knows that players are an instant away from an injury. I don't expect any QB to go through 12 games without a high potential for an injury. This gives us two veteran QBs who have started P5 football.
I mean, that should be almost the norm. What's behind them? Inexperience. We get a redshirt and true frosh. They are going to play the best guy....and that may change as the season progresses. This is a huge boost to the QB roster. Just in time.

The upside is he has legs to get out of trouble. When all you can do is rely on passing, you don't have anything to fall back on should that fail you any given Saturday.

This, IMO, is an outstanding get and it's open competition, as it should be. The guy is a veteran QB. Anyone who watches college football knows that players are an instant away from an injury. I don't expect any QB to go through 12 games without a high potential for an injury. This gives us two veteran QBs who have started P5 football.
I mean, that should be almost the norm. What's behind them? Inexperience. We get a redshirt and true frosh. They are going to play the best guy....and that may change as the season progresses. This is a huge boost to the QB roster. Just in time.

Here's an earlier article about him with a video imbedded: https://indiana.rivals.com/news/ari...on-dawkins-to-take-2-day-official-visit-to-iu

IUs position at QB is not common (extremely young) but I don’t think their bringing in a grad transfer to hold a clipboard this fall. They obviously aren’t going to announce that but it’s the reality.

Hmmm . . . would this allow/cause Penix to red shirt? What is his likely reaction to that approach to his IU career?
It certainly allows Penix time to develop more and probably redshirt (but with injuries you never truly know). I think Penix would have played this season along with Ramsey because of his running ability, but now probably not unless there's injury. So Penix gets to learn under a guy that fits his abilities and has been there done that while he develops his own game. But I love that we have options now with him rather than forcing him to do things.

Reactions: LeConte and 76-1
I think they'll try to redshirt Penix. Although if he is good enough to leave before his 5th year then it wouldn't matter to redshirt.

I'd assume if Penix doesn't win the starting job, then he'll be saved unless injuries require him to play. It will be a good competition between Dawkins, Ramsey and Penix.

The good thing is they are all strong runners with varying levels of passing ability. The offense shouldn't have to be altered that much if we have to switch QBs.

Why not Taylor at RB for those wild packages? He is probably the best runner that can also throw.

I like it!

If they load the box against him he has the arm strength to make a 55 yard deep throw with accuracy.

Now we're going to have a serious QB competition come fall camp!

Color me unimpressed right now. I like that he has experience, but his stats don't scream this is a major get. I love that it will most likely allow Penix to redshirt.

We'll see what this fall brings. I'm ready to see what Penix and Ramsey look like in the spring game. Hopefully I'm wrong and Dawkins supremely elevates the QB position.

I wouldn't say "outstanding" but a good "experienced" get. The big upside is we actually have a QB that is a true "spread option QB" that can read and the end and make a REAL decision. Lagow was never going to take off so running that type of offense with him was dumb IMO. He would have been better lining up under center and running play action.

At first I was not for this guy coming in here with the TD/INT ratio numbers but if this helps us get deeper and lets us develop Tronti/Penix more so be it. I honestly thought Tronti would be much further along by now. Guess we will see at the spring game.

Its not like this is a one dimensional guy but damn we don't need someone turning the ball over. Don't know how much the coaching staff can change that in one year. With Lagow we had a QB who could not run and he still threw INT's. With Dawkins we get a Lagow arm but a guy that can run out of trouble. jmho

Color me unimpressed right now. I like that he has experience, but his stats don't scream this is a major get. I love that it will most likely allow Penix to redshirt.

We'll see what this fall brings. I'm ready to see what Penix and Ramsey look like in the spring game. Hopefully I'm wrong and Dawkins supremely elevates the QB position.

Pretty sure Khalil Tate took his job at some point during the season.

I like it. A running QB can take some pressure off the O-Line and give them some help. Be interesting to see how he develops in our program in one year. Tools are there. Good get.
Go Hoosiers1

Reactions: IUgradman
Quality acquisition who adds important depth at a critical position. Kudos to Coach Allen and staff.

Reactions: RBB89

There is only upside to this move. Contemplate a scenario (without Dawkins) where Ramsey gets hurt. IU would then be turning to a QB who has never taken a snap in a college game. I've seen that movie before, and wouldn't want to watch it again.

This is a very good development for IU.

There is only upside to this move. Contemplate a scenario (without Dawkins) where Ramsey gets hurt. IU would then be turning to a QB who has never taken a snap in a college game. I've seen that movie before, and wouldn't want to watch it again.

This is a very good development for IU.

I'm still unimpressed with Dawkins. Nothing about what he did in the Pac-12 screams he's better than Ramsey. Given the rumors out of spring camp, that makes him probably not much better than Penix. Of course he has experience, and that's great.

I'm not saying it's a bad move, I think it's smart. I'm just not here strutting around the office because we immediately upgraded our weakest, although debatable, offensive position. It added depth, and we know that's important with our luck of QB health lately.

I'm still unimpressed with Dawkins. Nothing about what he did in the Pac-12 screams he's better than Ramsey. Given the rumors out of spring camp, that makes him probably not much better than Penix. Of course he has experience, and that's great.

I'm not saying it's a bad move, I think it's smart. I'm just not here strutting around the office because we immediately upgraded our weakest, although debatable, offensive position. It added depth, and we know that's important with our luck of QB health lately.

This move tells me that we intend to utilize the QB as serious part of the running game and as such we'll need a two and possibly even three man rotation at that position...

I see him as a great pickup, and I'm strutting around my office this morning (our kitchen, my wife is looking at me strangely;))...

Last edited:

I think we're basically on the same page. I'm not arguing that the guy is Sam Darnold. That said, he's got Power 5 experience and had attracted interest, as a grad transfer, from other major programs. I feel a lot better about the upcoming season with him than without him.

If your questioning what this kid can bring to the offense go watch Josh Dobbs senior year at Tennessee. Same exact play style. Pair that with the top 25 defense Allen aspires to have each year and your looking at one hell of an upgrade.. you don’t bring in a grad transfer for moral support this kid is gonna play and play a lot.

His stats as a runner are pretty amazing. He almost always makes the right read and is an elite athlete. If he can make simple throws, we can have a pretty damn good offense, but yeah, he will need to show better accuracy. I’m still a PR fan, but I love the depth right now.

Reactions: dahldc and CC Mac
I think it is a great move. Coach Wilson might be able to learn a thing or two from Coach Allen.
Wow...how quickly we forget. Yeah, well he might end up just like Wilson...losing too many due to injury and too much competition...better wait until there are results equal to Wilson. We sure of hell aint there yet...except maybe in your imagination....geeeeeeeesh.

I think we're basically on the same page. I'm not arguing that the guy is Sam Darnold. That said, he's got Power 5 experience and had attracted interest, as a grad transfer, from other major programs. I feel a lot better about the upcoming season with him than without him.
Man I don't know why I bother to even respond here...you've always got the right answer...kudos.

Wow...how quickly we forget. Yeah, well he might end up just like Wilson...losing too many due to injury and too much competition...better wait until there are results equal to Wilson. We sure of hell aint there yet...except maybe in your imagination....geeeeeeeesh.
He meant about maintaining QB depth. Calm down. Also, KW went 1-11 his first year.

Reactions: klize17
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT