ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue comedian

Thyrsis

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2001
Indianapolis
https://fox59.com/2018/08/19/purdue...udents-walk-out-during-comedians-performance/

The video inserted doesn't show everything, but it sounds like it's representative. Maybe it reached a different level that's not shown here. I don't know. So I don't know all the facts.

With that caveat, it's shocking to see the generational divide on this. That type of performance wouldn't have raised the slightest eyebrow when I was a college-aged person. I'm not saying that the norms of that time were better or more appropriate, just noting the great difference.

As for whether it's acceptable, I have a hard time breaking out of what I know and my own experiences (which isn't enough). I don't think it's a bad thing if universities are today de facto something other than an unfettered marketplace and instead require an added level of safety and security. But the calls to interfere with the comedian's career are a different matter. So, on that point, I'm amazed at how far this movement has come and how much it has changed culture.

Last edited:
If that's sexual harassment, then the world has gone mad.
I’m sure Zeke can chime in and explain why it is.... I would be interested in hearing the modern reasoning that it is..... not being a smart ass but I’d like to understand the thinking

Reactions: Quix0te
I won't be joining any movement to end his career, but consider the essence of the joke. The man gets the young woman he's never met before to touch his leg simply because he told her to. I would hope my daughter would have told him "fat chance I'm doing that" and steal the joke.

I won't be joining any movement to end his career, but consider the essence of the joke. The man gets the young woman he's never met before to touch his leg simply because he told her to. I would hope my daughter would have told him "fat chance I'm doing that" and steal the joke.
Of course the entire episode was antifa proper.

https://fox59.com/2018/08/19/purdue...udents-walk-out-during-comedians-performance/

The video inserted doesn't show everything, but it sounds like it's representative. Maybe it reached a different level that's not shown here. I don't know. So I don't know all the facts.

With that caveat, it's shocking to see the generational divide on this. That type of performance wouldn't have raised the slightest eyebrow when I was a college-aged person. I'm not saying that the norms of that time were better or more appropriate, just noting the great difference.

As for whether it's acceptable, I have a hard time breaking out of what I know and my own experiences (which isn't enough). I don't think it's a bad thing if universities are today de facto something other than an unfettered marketplace and instead require an added level of safety and security. But the calls to interfere with the comedian's career are a different matter. So, on that point, I'm amazed at how far this movement has come and how much it has changed culture.

I just saw that on the local news. I literally was waiting for something actually controversial to occur.....and then it ended.

I hope the kids didn't get hurt in their sprint back to their safe spaces.

As to being a "bad thing" what college campuses are turning into regarding these types of issues.....it's beyond a bad thing....it's educational malpractice to condition young adults that they must be protected from anything that may make them uncomfortable. If they can't handle something as innocent as this....how you think they'll manage in the real world?

Maybe there was a lot more going on than just this bit....at least I hope so.

I've also got a joke about Purdue girls...but I'll let that just lie there.

Last edited:
It's too obvious to be funny, anyway.

I think there is something "offensive" about this joke, in the fact that it was physically played out. In other words, instead of joking about tricking a girl into touching him, the comedian actually did trick her into touching him. By doing that, he's (inadvertently?) demonstrating that tricking girls into touching you isn't a bad thing. That sends a bad message and also undermines whatever the joke was that he was actually going for.

All that said, jeebus, people need to get a grip. There's no reason to get all up in arms about it. A comedian did something insensitive. That's sort of what comedians do. Sometimes they will miss the mark, but you just groan and move on. You don't make a federal case about it.

I’m not sure it’s very funny but I don’t see too much wrong with it. Even if I did... that’s what comedians do. They blur the lines on lots of things, race, sex, , it’s kind of what they do. Trying to ruin a guy’s career? No.

I’m more disappointed that I wasn’t offended by anything I saw. What a let down.

Reactions: Bill4411
I just saw that on the local news. I literally was waiting for something actually controversial to occur.....and then it ended.

I hope the kids didn't get hurt in their sprint back to their safe spaces.

As to being a "bad thing" what college campuses are turning into regarding these types of issues.....it's beyond a bad thing....it's educational malpractice to condition young adults that they must be protected from anything that may make them uncomfortable. If they can't handle something as innocent as this....how you think they'll manage in the real world?

Maybe there was a lot more going on than just this bit....at least I hope so.

There is no real world anymore.."truth isn't truth", "fake news", "alternative facts", "witch hunt".... but in reality, our group coming up seems a little soft, I do agree. Didn't watch it so don't really know tho, just speaking from experience with my step-daughters is all.

Comedy should be granted a pass in these safe space days. Perfectly correct takes are not funny. The best jokes make you groan and feel a little guilty for laughing at something so wrong. Plus these are jokes for gods sake. These are not statements about how the comedian feels about any topic or issues.

I hate these safe spaces and trigger warnings. That’s not how life works.

Before his performance, a female student shared her experience of being assaulted on campus. Given that, I find his act to show poor judgement and poor taste.

Before his performance, a female student shared her experience of being assaulted on campus. Given that, I find his act to show poor judgement and poor taste.
Watched an episode of the CNN series on comedy last night, and it had to do with "clean" comedians vs. "adult" (blue) comedians. It was really interesting. One of the things they mentioned was how comedians working the college circuit had to do clean shows. Apparently it can be really good money, but some comedians can't do it simply because they are not able to do a clean show (or don't want to). I think what they are talking about are the kind of college shows that are sponsored by the university or a student group and the show is either free (or almost free) for students. I'm pretty sure that's what the Purdue show was. In that environment you have an audience of wildly divergent backgrounds, beliefs and values--many of whom are away from home for the first time in their lives. On top of that, as you mentioned the comedian was just one part of a larger program; a program that included a student discussing her experience of being sexually assaulted. I don't think that situation can be compared to, for example, a show you might see in a comedy club.

Watched an episode of the CNN series on comedy last night, and it had to do with "clean" comedians vs. "adult" (blue) comedians. It was really interesting. One of the things they mentioned was how comedians working the college circuit had to do clean shows. Apparently it can be really good money, but some comedians can't do it simply because they are not able to do a clean show (or don't want to). I think what they are talking about are the kind of college shows that are sponsored by the university or a student group and the show is either free (or almost free) for students. I'm pretty sure that's what the Purdue show was. In that environment you have an audience of wildly divergent backgrounds, beliefs and values--many of whom are away from home for the first time in their lives. On top of that, as you mentioned the comedian was just one part of a larger program; a program that included a student discussing her experience of being sexually assaulted. I don't think that situation can be compared to, for example, a show you might see in a comedy club.
Agree, but many of the students aren't drawing that distinction. Their sensibility would apply beyond the campus.

That is a good point, in this it might be location, location, location. At a comedy club, this is a nothing. But given the context it was in, this may have been slightly over the line.

He should have stuck with Trump jokes and how small his hands were....the school would have defended him telling them welcome to college and get use to diverse ideas....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT