ADVERTISEMENT

Psyche of Current Team

MikeHoncho69

Sophomore
Jan 15, 2018
From what I've been told by my connection to IU Athletics, there's a strong dislike between players Crean recruited and those recruited by Archie. Justin Smith, Devonte Green, De'Ron Davis and Al Durham feel they are pitted against the rest of the roster, particularly with the kids from Indiana and the emphasis on in-state recruiting.

That dislike has been reported elsewhere, but I haven't heard it explained like this until last night. It surely explains why a guy like Justin Smith becomes so disengaged in the middle of a game, or why a guy like Devonte Green simply does whatever he wants on the court.

Take it all for what it's worth.

From what I've been told by my connection to IU Athletics, there's a strong dislike between players Crean recruited and those recruited by Archie. Justin Smith, Devonte Green, De'Ron Davis and Al Durham feel they are pitted against the rest of the roster, particularly with the kids from Indiana and the emphasis on in-state recruiting.

That dislike has been reported elsewhere, but I haven't heard it explained like this until last night. It surely explains why a guy like Justin Smith becomes so disengaged in the middle of a game, or why a guy like Devonte Green simply does whatever he wants on the court.

At what age do you take the 69 out of your sn. Mine was 19.

If I was Phinesse..
I'd be looking over my shoulder already..
Lander is coming for his minutes...
That's how UK...Carolina..Duke..Kansas..Are constantly good..
There's alway's a new recruit who can play your position..

Reactions: ericrossiu
If I was Phinesse..
I'd be looking over my shoulder already..
Lander is coming for his minutes...
That's how UK...Carolina..Duke..Kansas..Are constantly good..
There's alway's a new recruit who can play your position..
There’s a reason Purdue didn’t chase him hard.

Durham can't play in a physical game. Green is your classic loose cannon. The game is a little to quick for Franklin at the moment but he has good potential. That leaves an injured Phin.

damezi is a strong shooting guard out of SB right? Lol

Durham can't play in a physical game. Green is your classic loose cannon. The game is a little to quick for Franklin at the moment but he has good potential. That leaves an injured Phin.
He didn’t look injured during that quick 7 pt. run he had in the second half.

If that is true, hopefully the malcontents move on.

Or maybe he was born in 1969. It doesn’t have to be a sex position necessarily, but it’s fun when it is...if my memory serves me correctly.
That's what I was going to say. Who wants to have their nose in that smelly bung anyway.

It comes down to not having a guy who can break down a defense on his own. Make the shot when you need it.

MH69, love the handle by the way. vbg

There is definitely a divide with the team and after the incident on the bench, there seem to be more questions than answers. It will be an interesting offseason no doubt. On a side note, if it is the TC vs AM
recruits, does that mean IU is in the same boat next year with JS & AD still on the team. IU basketball is so disappointing, to say the least. I believe I am going to have to lower my expectations and follow hondo & alohahahaha way of thinking.

Reactions: cryano
MH69, love the handle by the way. vbg

There is definitely a divide with the team and after the incident on the bench, there seem to be more questions than answers. It will be an interesting offseason no doubt. On a side note, if it is the TC vs AM
recruits, does that mean IU is in the same boat next year with JS & AD still on the team. IU basketball is so disappointing, to say the least. I believe I am going to have to lower my expectations and follow hondo & alohahahaha way of thinking.

You don’t have to lower them but you can mix in a little reason and understanding. Or go ahead and freak out every few minutes while the rest of us watch this play out. Your choice.

This has to be the case. It's the only thing that makes sense, and explains the s***show we have seen for the last 3 years.

I've been watching 50 years, and DG is my least favorite basketball player, by far, in that time. And it's not close.

The game turned when he came in last night, as it has on many occasions this year. We were on a 7-0 run, and getting to ball inside to Brunk & TJD. They were fighting inside. DG came in, started throwing up long 3s, and the game went to hell.

Why does Little Archie insist on subbing Green in when the team is clicking, instead of waiting for a few minutes? Why would he not call a TO after a minute or two and INSIST on getting the ball back into the middle? Is he that stupid? Has he given up on this team on away games?

This roster needs to turn over asap.....the sooner Green, Davis, Smith & Durham are gone the better. Smith.....32 minutes, 2-8 (mostly long 2s because he was 'open'....the worst shots this bumbling crew could take). Go ahead and transfer kid. Bruiser can go with you. Ostrum at least recruits, apparently.

The stats for the DG, AD, RP trio: 71 minutes; 6-28; 10 rebounds; 9 fouls; 2 assists; 8 TOs; 21 pts; 1 steal.

Reactions: abraxis
This has to be the case. It's the only thing that makes sense, and explains the s***show we have seen for the last 3 years.

I've been watching 50 years, and DG is my least favorite basketball player, by far, in that time. And it's not close.

The game turned when he came in last night, as it has on many occasions this year. We were on a 7-0 run, and getting to ball inside to Brunk & TJD. They were fighting inside. DG came in, started throwing up long 3s, and the game went to hell.

Why does Little Archie insist on subbing Green in when the team is clicking, instead of waiting for a few minutes? Why would he not call a TO after a minute or two and INSIST on getting the ball back into the middle? Is he that stupid? Has he given up on this team on away games?

This roster needs to turn over asap.....the sooner Green, Davis, Smith & Durham are gone the better. Smith.....32 minutes, 2-8 (mostly long 2s because he was 'open'....the worst shots this bumbling crew could take). Go ahead and transfer kid. Bruiser can go with you. Ostrum at least recruits, apparently.

The stats for the DG, AD, RP trio: 71 minutes; 6-28; 10 rebounds; 9 fouls; 2 assists; 8 TOs; 21 pts; 1 steal.

Rumor was the team had a division last year, and that division was made worse by Miller picking sides. Clearing something was OFF. We lost 12 of 13 games because of it, and that lowered the bar for this season. We'll show "progress", or that's what will be claimed, but I don't know how much actual progress has been made, or if it's just a dead cat bounce. After all, we almost made the tourney after basically forfeiting 12 B10 games. We'll make the tourney, but if it's as an 8 seed, I'm not feeling real satisfied. Seems that this team still has a serious rift, and Miller is on one side of it. It will be more of the same next season with 4 of 5 starters returning as Seniors (or, in the case of TJD, in his "senior" season).

He didn’t look injured during that quick 7 pt. run he had in the second half.

The thing is...........we're all in the dark. His lack of productivity would suggest he still has health issues. I remember once early in the season he winced when he sat down. But, I have not seen him wince or show any expression of pain since then. Is there some surgery he needs that he has put off, or is this his new normal? No one seems to know. If Lander's not a certainty for next year, do you still try to get another pg or combo guard?

The thing is...........we're all in the dark. His lack of productivity would suggest he still has health issues. I remember once early in the season he winced when he sat down. But, I have not seen him wince or show any expression of pain since then. Is there some surgery he needs that he has put off, or is this his new normal? No one seems to know. If Lander's not a certainty for next year, do you still try to get another pg or combo guard?

Is Lander a one and done player? With an injury prone Phinn entering his Junior year, if Lander is only stopping by for a year or two, we need another PG.

He couldn't have thrown up any worse bricks than several of our guys did in the first half.

I don't know......he's 2/31 in the Big for his career, 1/22 on 3s. On the other hand, I don't recall him ever hitting the side of the BB on a shot, and almost all his shots hit the rim.

Reactions: mk23
Well then, I hope you're right on the injury thing and it's not a "sophomore slump" kind of thing where other teams have seen enough of his playing habits to understand how it is they need to counter his moves. Phin usually isn't any quicker, taller, or stronger than his defenders. He doesn't shoot the ball at a high percentage of success. He's usually good for a couple of strong moves to the basket each game, but really, guards of his type come a dime/dozen in the open market.

Rumor was the team had a division last year, and that division was made worse by Miller picking sides. Clearing something was OFF. We lost 12 of 13 games because of it, and that lowered the bar for this season. We'll show "progress", or that's what will be claimed, but I don't know how much actual progress has been made, or if it's just a dead cat bounce. After all, we almost made the tourney after basically forfeiting 12 B10 games. We'll make the tourney, but if it's as an 8 seed, I'm not feeling real satisfied. Seems that this team still has a serious rift, and Miller is on one side of it. It will be more of the same next season with 4 of 5 starters returning as Seniors (or, in the case of TJD, in his "senior" season).

What are you smoking? This is not a tourney worthy team, some may bitch about it, but eye test and consistency, and how you're playing lately matter very much as far as getting the benefit of the doubt. An 8 seed, are you ****ing shitting me? Where does our resume warrant that? I think it will be last 4 in if that, and the way we're playing we probably won't have to sweat. In all reality, what does it prove? That we can hope go to the NCAAT with the largest expenditures in the country on recruiting and maybe hope to win a game. That is NOT a winning culture, and it is NOT what we are paying for. Lots of people need to get their heads out of their asses and realize when 30-40-50 year fans don't give a shit about watching it anymore, there's a major problem. When we can't beat PU home or away for four year or make the tourney, yeah there's a major f'n problem, and Lander ain't fixing it on his own. So people need to be adults and realize we've paid Archie 10M and it's not working, he's rich, maybe stressed, but I won't lose sleep over canning him tomorrow. Bottom line we need a real coach, I think it's Matta, even if it's just to restore credibility for a few years. We are a joke, maybe the lowest basketball IQ in the entire country. The idea that Lander is going to come here and set off fireworks is ridiculous, we have a coach that gets the least out of what they have to work with and doesn't apparently get along with his players or staff per rumors and TV evidence.

Well then, I hope you're right on the injury thing and it's not a "sophomore slump" kind of thing where other teams have seen enough of his playing habits to understand how it is they need to counter his moves. Phin usually isn't any quicker, taller, or stronger than his defenders. He doesn't shoot the ball at a high percentage of success. He's usually good for a couple of strong moves to the basket each game, but really, guards of his type come a dime/dozen in the open market.

What I noticed was that Rob, DG, and Al all looked slow out there.....now part of that is lacking confidence in what you're doing....but you're right about Rob's physical limitations.....when we thought he was going to be good it was based on his "smarts", not his quickness, strength, jumping ability et al.....He was always stone-faced but we took that as being calm......now we don't know if the problem is physical or him just being sick of this team......how horrible must practice be with these morons?

Who voted for the captains?

What I noticed was that Rob, DG, and Al all looked slow out there.....now part of that is lacking confidence in what you're doing....but you're right about Rob's physical limitations.....when we thought he was going to be good it was based on his "smarts", not his quickness, strength, jumping ability et al.....He was always stone-faced but we took that as being calm......now we don't know if the problem is physical or him just being sick of this team......how horrible must practice be with these morons?

If we are going to continue with Archie, they might as well all start out redshirting in body casts and on concussion protocal. It's really a joke, these are not B10 players he's brought in and most of them will have left by next year. He has not built a culture to recruit to, he's built a culture of hey, were going to suck, but you can be the star and get your minutes, and if you're from Indiana, it makes me look like I'm doing my job … that's where we are

Last edited:
Good question, they make me sick for sure. They make some of Crean's worst teams actually clap-worthy, sad as that is

Now, now...rumors of strained locker room relationships are just that-rumors of just about any team not performing up to expectations. It's not saying Rob is sick of playing with morons.

think IU players such as Rob looked slow and hesitant probably because of the tenacious defense that was preventing them from doing what they wanted to do, force the ball inside. Once Purdue saw that as our game plan, they made an adjustment, a point to shut it down. Without us being able to convert shots into points from anywhere but inside, Purdue was successful in their strategy. If we had been able to hit from deep, maybe not so.

Now, now...rumors of strained locker room relationships are just that-rumors of just about any team not performing up to expectations. It's not saying Rob is sick of playing with morons.

think IU players such as Rob looked slow and hesitant probably because of the tenacious defense that was preventing them from doing what they wanted to do, force the ball inside. Once Purdue saw that as our game plan, they made an adjustment, a point to shut it down. Without us being able to convert shots into points from anywhere but inside, Purdue was successful in their strategy. If we had been able to hit from deep, maybe not so.
Your mean the same tenacious and talented defense from a less athletic team, with shitty resources, and regularly kicks our ass anywhere of late … like 4 f'n years home and away. We suck period, get over it, we need a real coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT