ADVERTISEMENT

Profanity warning

Curse words don't work ..

the idea that some words are bad comes directly from the age where people believed in magic.

The idea that some words are bad, is just another religiously influenced ignorance.

I completely disagree

I say curse words are bad because they water down the English language. Instead of expressing yourself with meaningful words, you boil it down to one ridiculous word or string of ridiculous words.

This is where we part ways.

I certainly think some small-minded people use curse words that way, but they can be just as meaningful as other words, when used properly.

goat

Who officially declares a word a bad word?

I recently discovered "sucks" was declared a bad word. Had no idea.

I still don't know how my middle finger is more offensive than my pinky. I have an ugly pinky.

Of course you do

you're still filled with those ignorances. There's also another source, and it's racial or nationalistic. When populations were conquered it was a norm to ban their language and make them "low born" or less than acceptable.

Words without intent are just words. Any word can be as offensive as a "magical curse word" if used proper context.

And again, when those words were first deemed to be "cursing" it was literal. The then ignorant people actually believed they had power to curse, and foreign words more so than others.

Consider the Scottish word for "poop". Which we all use. Why is it deemed uncouth? Because maybe the English byproducts of the French speaking Normans deemed it so.

I agree, but I do think...

the F word is over-used by a lot of people. I think it loses its impact a bit in the process, know what I mean?

I use it infrequently; but when I do, it has a greater impact on the conversation / meaning that I'm trying to convey.

Otherwise the point TMPDIODTLMRCHARFOULKES makes is correct. I bet he gets tired of being right all the damn time.

Let ebonics be your guide ..

one word when used in one context brings a group of people together, it is a binding word.

The same word when used in another tears them apart, it' a hateful word.

The word is just a tool, how it's used and the intent of it's use makes it offensive or not.

German.

The word you are thinking of is Saxon in origin, not Scottish.

But your point is probably correct. As the language of the commoners, it was deemed less proper than the French alternatives ("poop" comes from old French).

goat

Oh I agree with that

I just generally disagree with your religion-hating rhetoric.

Whether you are correct or not.

Just have to.

used properly? Maybe

They're mostly used out of laziness or ignorance though.

Just having Pastor in your handle is enough

I like you. That should be good enough.

size, skill set, athleticism

Troy needs a better outside shot and isn't a top 10 pick right now, but in a year or two, he could be.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT