ADVERTISEMENT

Pro Palestinian/Hamas Protests

All of these young people didn't just wake up this way one day. And it didn't just start 4 or 8 years ago.

I can't help but lay some of the blame for the youth's reaction to this at the feet of CRT in the schools. And by CRT, I mean postmodernism dressed up in identity politics that focuses religiously (i.e. takes it as axiomatic and refuses to discuss or debate the issue) on oppresser v. oppressed, with people with less melatonin on the wrong side of that divide.

Again--the majority of these young people aren't siding this way because they are antisemitic--they are siding this way because the Palestinians have darker skin and more poverty, and thus are the more moral group under their religion, who deserve to do whatever they need to do to end the oppression, colonization, etc. What happens to the rest of the world as people start normalizing and excusing Hamas's tactics in the name of decolonization, ending oppression, etc?

As I read what I just typed, I'm really conflicted about whether it's a valid critique or not. Am I just conflating two movements that I really despise into one, laying the blame of the second at the feet of the first?

Don't second guess yourself. You are spot on.

So would you be fighting for "Israel" or for Zionist settlers, who are guilty of terrorist acts over the years as well?

Ugh. Those people are the worst. Self-loathing, secular clowns that pull their Jew badge out of the closet when it's time to stand for a perceived progressive cause. As evidenced by the number of them that were wearing their Tallit incorrectly in Grand Central station a few weeks ago.

You'd be hard pressed to find a Jew who is Reformed or more practicing who would call for a ceasefire. No one at that march has seen the inside of a synagogue in 20 years.

Reactions: jet812 and DANC
Six members of law enforcement injured after pro Palestinian protests outside the DNC headquarters yesterday.

Insurrection?
They evidently don't realize they attacked the same police force that save Democracy on J6.

Probably just a misunderstanding.

Reactions: Hoopsdoc1978
How many Palestinians do you know who don't support Hamas.

And I don't want to hear about your cousin Larry's Arab friend from Egypt.
One of my good friends is an Egyptian immigrant. He wanted out of Egypt. His view on the region and the Israeli/Palestinian conflict would probably blow your mind.

One of my good friends is an Egyptian immigrant. He wanted out of Egypt. His view on the region and the Israeli/Palestinian conflict would probably blow your mind.
So you can't name any Palestinians who aren't pro-Hamas.

Listened to this recently. Guy has an amazingly soothing podcast voice. Lays out his argument very well.

Transcript if you prefer to read it.

That was a mostly solid take. @BradStevens I saw it posted before, but lars was kind enough to post the transcript, which meant I could read it while I was in an insufferable conference call.

I don't necessarily agree with his theoretical model for why the Muslim world gave rise to jihadism, or how important a particular interpretation of a particular set of scriptures might be (I don't find it very relevant that Muhammad chopped off heads while Jesus didn't). But, that doesn't matter much, because he still arrives at the right conclusion, which I think is inescapable: jihadism is indeed the enemy of all modern civilization, and it must eventually be defeated. You can recognize that reality without infringing on someone's religious rights.

Ugh. Those people are the worst. Self-loathing, secular clowns that pull their Jew badge out of the closet when it's time to stand for a perceived progressive cause. As evidenced by the number of them that were wearing their Tallit incorrectly in Grand Central station a few weeks ago.

You'd be hard pressed to find a Jew who is Reformed or more practicing who would call for a ceasefire. No one at that march has seen the inside of a synagogue in 20 years.
Well DANC liked your post, so that should be the first clue how ludicrous your assertions are...

All of these young people didn't just wake up this way one day. And it didn't just start 4 or 8 years ago.

I can't help but lay some of the blame for the youth's reaction to this at the feet of CRT in the schools. And by CRT, I mean postmodernism dressed up in identity politics that focuses religiously (i.e. takes it as axiomatic and refuses to discuss or debate the issue) on oppresser v. oppressed, with people with less melatonin on the wrong side of that divide.

Again--the majority of these young people aren't siding this way because they are antisemitic--they are siding this way because the Palestinians have darker skin and more poverty, and thus are the more moral group under their religion, who deserve to do whatever they need to do to end the oppression, colonization, etc. What happens to the rest of the world as people start normalizing and excusing Hamas's tactics in the name of decolonization, ending oppression, etc?

As I read what I just typed, I'm really conflicted about whether it's a valid critique or not. Am I just conflating two movements that I really despise into one, laying the blame of the second at the feet of the first?
As someone who went through grad school and studied critical theory, I don't think it's about skin color. I think it's more about East/West and North/South, and while skin color can certainly play a role in that, I think the embrace of the Palestinian cause by Marxist academic types isn't really about the brownness of their skin, and instead is more about the Europeanness and Americanness of the original Zionist leaders. Colonialism might not matter to the jihadis, but it's a huge part of the theoretical foundation of the type of thinking you're criticizing. Even when they talk about race, it's colored by colonialism - the British invade Asia and feminize Asian men; the Spanish invade Africa and kidnap people into slavery. Skin is a big part of that, but the exertion of colonial power is always at the center of it.

As someone who went through grad school and studied critical theory, I don't think it's about skin color. I think it's more about East/West and North/South, and while skin color can certainly play a role in that, I think the embrace of the Palestinian cause by Marxist academic types isn't really about the brownness of their skin, and instead is more about the Europeanness and Americanness of the original Zionist leaders. Colonialism might not matter to the jihadis, but it's a huge part of the theoretical foundation of the type of thinking you're criticizing. Even when they talk about race, it's colored by colonialism - the British invade Asia and feminize Asian men; the Spanish invade Africa and kidnap people into slavery. Skin is a big part of that, but the exertion of colonial power is always at the center of it.
Critical theory =\=Critical Race Theory

I’m not a fan of either, but they aren’t equivalent.

Reactions: DANC
Critical theory =\=Critical Race Theory

I’m not a fan of either, but they aren’t equivalent.
I know they aren't, I've been trying to explain what they are to this forum for a couple of years, now. But, what you're deriding is a much broader version of CRT, which is ultimately just another implementation of a left-leaning academic school that goes back through critical theory, feminism, postcolonialism, etc. ultimately to Karl Marx.

Everyone should read Disgrace by JM Coetzee. It’s themes are relevant here. It’s a short book and I found it disturbing.
When you have a chance will you put that in the movie and book thread? I always go back to it when I’m looking for something,

Reactions: BradStevens
There you go with that phony equivalency again. Only one side needs to grow up and join the 21st century here. You fight a cancer with chemo which often adversely affects healthy cells. Hamas is a cancer. Conservative treatment failed.
He is an antisemite pure and simple. You’re arguing with someone that hates Jews, therefore don’t waste your breath. You’re not changing his hate.

Not all Jews, or even Israelis are radically anti-Palestinian...

This is based on reports from Israeli media not pro-Palestinian sources.There's a huge difference between Israel defending itself, and the outrages discussed here...Bibi made a deal with the Devil to get back into power when the majority of Israelis wanted him gone...

The large majority of my Jewish friends who have been posting on social media since OCT. 7 are not antiPalestinian at all. They post things like this: You can save space for the Israeli hostages and Palestinian civilians. We should be working together to save both from the existential threat that is Hamas.

Mas has literally espoused Nazi propaganda on this forum.
Your party is causing rampant hate of Jews right now. There’s no let up. It’s getting out of hand. The guy you’re defending in your rebuke of me is showing his hand as far as I am concerned. It’s time for these folks to be called out just like racists are called out.

I’ve read enough of his posts on the subject.

Have you chastised anyone for calling Mass a Nazi, ever?
He stood by idly while his peeps declared anyone that didn’t agree with them racists. A hypocrite of the highest order….

That was a mostly solid take. @BradStevens I saw it posted before, but lars was kind enough to post the transcript, which meant I could read it while I was in an insufferable conference call.

I don't necessarily agree with his theoretical model for why the Muslim world gave rise to jihadism, or how important a particular interpretation of a particular set of scriptures might be (I don't find it very relevant that Muhammad chopped off heads while Jesus didn't). But, that doesn't matter much, because he still arrives at the right conclusion, which I think is inescapable: jihadism is indeed the enemy of all modern civilization, and it must eventually be defeated. You can recognize that reality without infringing on someone's religious rights.
On the contrary, I think interpretation of the scripture is vital.

When one of the planners of the Peshawar school massacre tells investigators that they did all those kids a favor because they went to paradise while they were still pure of heart, and that anyone who didn’t believe as the perpetrators did would never understand, I think that’s pretty damned important in explaining how and why the massacre happened.

That’s how they interpret the scripture. That’s why, in their eyes, what they did was not only acceptable, it was actually COMMENDABLE.

There’s also the fact, as Harris points out, that Jesus and Buddha never did anything but instruct people to love one another.

He stood by idly while his peeps declared anyone that didn’t agree with them racists. A hypocrite of the highest order….
Like the summer of love when democrats burned a police station, burned businesses, looted businesses and assaulted people, all was good.

Now no democratic outrage over these types of things being caused by attitudes like the attitudes of some on here.

I think they did. Whether it's every suicide bomber, it's the vast vast majority. they truly believe this shit. They say it out loud. I think we should believe them.
I'm an amateur historian at best, but haven't other militaries used suicide attacks? Japan, NV/VC in Vietnam. I could be wrong, but I thought part of the reason Palestinians used suicide bombings is limited resources.

Like the summer of love when democrats burned a police station, burned businesses, looted businesses and assaulted people, all was good.

Now no democratic outrage over these types of things being caused by attitudes like the attitudes of some on here.

Do certain posters on here have to turn every discussion into an attack on posters and a crude right/left fight? There was a good discussion taking place.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC and UncleMark
That is a ridiculous accusation. Critical of Israel? Sure. I'm not a prejudiced person.
Sure you are; you're prejudiced against religious people. You've written it all here.

Ironically, the Palestinians as a group are more religious than the Israelis. Palestinian authorities lock up atheists, while Israel has a large percentage of them.

Sure you are; you're prejudiced against religious people. You've written it all here.

Ironically, the Palestinians as a group are more religious than the Israelis. Palestinian authorities lock up atheists, while Israel has a large percentage of them.
I'm a big believer in the 1A. People can believe whatever they want to, as long as they are peaceful and leave it out of the government. I don't automatically dismiss people or their opinions just because they are a certain religion. I am not a fan of organized religion or the harm/violence it has done to humanity. I do find religion interesting.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT