ADVERTISEMENT

Pro Day Feedback

hookyIU1990

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 26, 2007
I've only seen info coming from a Goodman source. Nothung similar to the almost glowing comments about JHS from last year.

Did anyone else notice Gunn in this video of pro day? Right around the 25 sec mark, Gunn rises and drains a jumper over a Reneau closeout like it's nothing. Gunn could be on his way to some serious minutes if that's a sign of things to come.

Reactions: EvansvilleHoosier88
Did anyone else notice Gunn in this video of pro day? Right around the 25 sec mark, Gunn rises and drains a jumper over a Reneau closeout like it's nothing. Gunn could be on his way to some serious minutes if that's a sign of things to come.

It looked like a baseline jumper where Reneau only raised his arm in defense.

It looked like a baseline jumper where Reneau only raised his arm in defense.
Xz4Ygci.jpg

Man, that's a reach! You don't think he made 3s in practice last year too? Can't make too much out of one shot made in a scrimmage. The obvious difference is a game environment. I know for a fact that Joe Hillman was a terrific shooter out to about 23' at the HPER, but he didn't even attempt many 3s in games. I hope does come around on shooting 3s, and that even if they don't fall at a high rate he gets past that and contributes in all the other ways he can.

Reactions: BigMobe
Just looking for a bright spot. If that's a sign of things to come, then I'd be really happy.
I agree, but I just think too much is being made of Gunn's shooting. Just like folks tried to make Leal out as a knock down 3 guy. Gunn can be a really good player with all the tools and skills he has and I'd try and focus on that stuff as his coach and let the shooting come. It's happened with Trey and I never believed he would be a really good shooter after his first couple years. Be a good all around player and teammate and take the open shots when they are there. If they are falling at a high rate, look to take more, but don't make it the focus of your game and I think for he, coaches and fans it's been too much the focus in his time at IU.

Man, that's a reach! You don't think he made 3s in practice last year too? Can't make too much out of one shot made in a scrimmage. The obvious difference is a game environment. I know for a fact that Joe Hillman was a terrific shooter out to about 23' at the HPER, but he didn't even attempt many 3s in games. I hope does come around on shooting 3s, and that even if they don't fall at a high rate he gets past that and contributes in all the other ways he can.
Scrimmage with pro-scouts---So a tad different. But I get your point. I worked handful of his game in HS. Always thought---"Man I hope this kid goes to Indiana.."---Then had him twice as a senior, and was like---"PLease come to IU."

Why?

Because he could play out shoot the basketball. Last year IMO will be an outlier. Not a ton of minutes. He rushed everything. Game was to fast.

We will see a different CJ this year.

Reactions: Willray
I agree, but I just think too much is being made of Gunn's shooting. Just like folks tried to make Leal out as a knock down 3 guy. Gunn can be a really good player with all the tools and skills he has and I'd try and focus on that stuff as his coach and let the shooting come. It's happened with Trey and I never believed he would be a really good shooter after his first couple years. Be a good all around player and teammate and take the open shots when they are there. If they are falling at a high rate, look to take more, but don't make it the focus of your game and I think for he, coaches and fans it's been too much the focus in his time at IU.
Trey's shooting has improved with the addition of Hulls last year.
GoHoosiers

Reactions: ThreeToMakeTwo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT