ADVERTISEMENT

Pretty much down to us and MSU for Jefferson

I posted on the premium board that he's way underrated. Watching his tape shows a kid that has damn good wheels and a fine looking arm.

How they've got him rated a middle of the road three star recruit, is questionable at best. In my own mind, he is a 5.8, four star recruit, period, no questions asked.

Reactions: IUgradman
Here's a counter idea...if everyone goes there, it's the "thing to do" and he wants to carve his own path and help turn a program around quicker (i.e. sooner path to play?) then maybe he chooses IU. But rational side in me says we're in the #2 spot. But no idea the dynamics, QB situation at MSU, his personal interests, etc. Good luck IU - hope we land him.

I posted on the premium board that he's way underrated. Watching his tape shows a kid that has damn good wheels and a fine looking arm.

How they've got him rated a middle of the road three star recruit, is questionable at best. In my own mind, he is a 5.8, four star recruit, period, no questions asked.
Its the level of competition prolly why he is rated lower. He plays in 3A. Even so I agree his tape is very impressive! I was hoping we could get him here on a visit. The fact that the new facilities are almost done should be a good selling point. All these new recruits this year get to break them in! If we can start pulling in QB's like this we should be in good hands soon!

As a qb or as an athlete, or both?

As an athlete at a minimum...but I think as a QB, too...JMO

He's OVing them this weekend and OVing the good guys next weekend.

I would not be surprised if he ends up at Nebraska.

He was originally a verbal to UCF and Frost. He decommitted when the rumors of Frost being hired by Nebraska started to circulate. Frost has extended an offer to Jefferson.

I would not be surprised if he ends up at Nebraska.

He was originally a verbal to UCF and Frost. He decommitted when the rumors of Frost being hired by Nebraska started to circulate. Frost has extended an offer to Jefferson.
Hmmmm...He set his commitment date on Christmas Day too so someone is gonna have a merry one!

its' going to be hard to pull him away from MSU I think. He will be shunned in his hometown if he doesn't go to MSU.
Ouch! Advantage to home team, So, we have to do our darndest to help him feel at home when he meets our team family. And we have to hope that he is swayed to us by the opportunity to compete to be our QB from day one. Oh, and we have to hope that he wants to be a QB so badly that he can resist Muskegonite ridicule. Some bid-time hoping.

I believe you're thinking of Wilson, Spartan4ever

No, I'm speaking of Jefferson.

Rumors of Frost going to Nebraska started after the Huskers lost to Northern Illinois down here in Florida. My nephew is a grad assistant at FAU under Kiffin, and is a former UCF player. He has kept in touch with some of his former teammates and they all believed that Frost would be in Nebraska by next season.

I don't think Jefferson wanted to commit to a coach/program who wasn't going to be there next season. Jefferson spoke very highly of Frost, and the fact that Frost had recruited him as a QB. Now that Frost is at Nebraska he is still pursuing Jefferson as a QB.

MSU has kept him in the "Athlete" category with a strong emphasis of wanting him to play running back. It will be interesting where he ends up, and what side of the ball he will play, and what position.

Reactions: Tokyo Steve
Here's a counter idea...if everyone goes there, it's the "thing to do" and he wants to carve his own path and help turn a program around quicker (i.e. sooner path to play?) then maybe he chooses IU. But rational side in me says we're in the #2 spot. But no idea the dynamics, QB situation at MSU, his personal interests, etc. Good luck IU - hope we land him.

My interpretation is that MSU is recruiting him as a RB/Ath. They almost exclusively recruit pro-style guys for QB, and already have one committed. So while IU very likely be #2, it may not be that far off depending on his desire to play QB.

Reactions: 76-1
I believe you're thinking of Wilson
No, I'm speaking of Jefferson.

Rumors of Frost going to Nebraska started after the Huskers lost to Northern Illinois down here in Florida. My nephew is a grad assistant at FAU under Kiffin, and is a former UCF player. He has kept in touch with some of his former teammates and they all believed that Frost would be in Nebraska by next season.

I don't think Jefferson wanted to commit to a coach/program who wasn't going to be there next season. Jefferson spoke very highly of Frost, and the fact that Frost had recruited him as a QB. Now that Frost is at Nebraska he is still pursuing Jefferson as a QB.

MSU has kept him in the "Athlete" category with a strong emphasis of wanting him to play running back. It will be interesting where he ends up, and what side of the ball he will play, and what position.
Thanks for the info, Spartan4ever
So, if both Wilson and Jefferson want to sign with Nebraska, does Frost sign both? If not, which one do you think he prefers?

My first wife (may she rest in peace) was from Spencer, Indiana where the high school is Owen Valley. So, you talk about OVing and it takes me an extra couple of seconds to realize you don't mean her high school.
o_O
Go ahead and laugh, I think it's funny, too.
My dad was a running back for Bloomington High School circa 1950. His mom was from Spencer.
RIP, Mrs. Thomtar.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thomtar and 76-1
Thanks for the info, Spartan4ever
So, if both Wilson and Jefferson want to sign with Nebraska, does Frost sign both? If not, which one do you think he prefers?

I haven't followed recruiting so I am not familiar with Wilson. I only heard of Jefferson after he decommitted from UCF and discovered he was from Michigan.

I will say this, Frost is a quality coach, and I would be surprised if he wasn't successful in Lincoln.

I attended the UCF/USF football game the day after Thanksgiving this year. It was the first time I got to see the team perform in person. Frost has totally transformed that team in 2 year from the one that went winless in 2015. I don't know where Nebraska currently sits talent wise, but I believe that Frost is the type of coach who will get results quickly. He is fair but firm, and is a terrific developer of talent and really motivates his players. The Big 10 West Division just got a lot more difficult.

I haven't followed recruiting so I am not familiar with Wilson. I only heard of Jefferson after he decommitted from UCF and discovered he was from Michigan.

I will say this, Frost is a quality coach, and I would be surprised if he wasn't successful in Lincoln.

I attended the UCF/USF football game the day after Thanksgiving this year. It was the first time I got to see the team perform in person. Frost has totally transformed that team in 2 year from the one that went winless in 2015. I don't know where Nebraska currently sits talent wise, but I believe that Frost is the type of coach who will get results quickly. He is fair but firm, and is a terrific developer of talent and really motivates his players. The Big 10 West Division just got a lot more difficult.

Did Jefferson just explode this year in camps and during the season?

It's odd that the MSU offer came in so late with him being from the state. He was committed to a Group of 5 school in UCF and something had to have happened in the last 6 months to increase the attention.

I'm sure Frost will be an upgrade. I just can't ever envision knu being like they once were. Too many things going against them as far as geography and quality in state football players. They have to pull from other states to get decent recruits.

Have any of you ever been to Lincoln? It actually makes the west lafayette prison camp look good.

Sorry I lived in Colorado through the late 80's early 90's so all I have is F-ck knu they will never be that good again and F-ck Scott Frost! Sorry for the rant...

My dad was a running back for Bloomington High School circa 1950. His mom was from Spencer.
RIP, Mrs. Thomtar.
Thank you for the sentiment, I genuinely appreciate it. But, just for the record, Mrs. Thomtar is the new wife. I made up the word by taking the first syllable of my last name and the last syllable of her last name. ;-)

Thank you for the sentiment, I genuinely appreciate it. But, just for the record, Mrs. Thomtar is the new wife. I made up the word by taking the first syllable of my last name and the last syllable of her last name. ;-)
Good grief! Talk about slippery slopes. I'm digging deeper and deeper, faster and faster by the nanosecond. I think it would be prudent for me to stop commenting in this thread starting in about three . . . two . . . one . . . .

Good grief! Talk about slippery slopes. I'm digging deeper and deeper, faster and faster by the nanosecond. I think it would be prudent for me to stop commenting in this thread starting in about three . . . two . . . one . . . .
Chill! This is a classic case of no harm, no foul. We're all good. :)

I feared this might happen since he was going there first. Indiana never heard the gun go off, f..kin pathetic...

Last edited:
I feared this might happen since he was going there first. Indiana never heard the gun go off, f..kin pathetic...

So IU had no idea or wasn't trying? What kind of extrapolation is that? The kid is a local MI kid who was seemingly leaning there heavily over us anyway. Went on his official visit, and it sealed the deal. It happens.

But calling IU staff pathetic as if they had no idea and weren't trying or aware? How can you come to that conclusion? Seems to be a silly extrapolation not based on facts. His signing there does not mean they weren't trying hard.

Reactions: ESalum86
Clueless is more descriptive

Are you describing coaches or the post suggesting coaches weren’t trying or aware? If the latter, I find that totally unfair and speculation only. Newsbrief: IU doesn’t get every recruit they go after, does NOT mean not trying hard!

Reactions: CC Mac
Are you describing coaches or the post suggesting coaches weren’t trying or aware? If the latter, I find that totally unfair and speculation only. Newsbrief: IU doesn’t get every recruit they go after, does NOT mean not trying hard!
Nice try but some of these people get really emotional about this stuff. They'll get over it.

We have a 4 star visiting this weekend, not saying we get him, but they are certainly trying.
Gerry Bohanon...I have no idea if they even have a shot BUT if they did holy crap? They got in on him awful late.

Last edited:
What's sad is not IU losing on on yet another QB, but MSU's heavy handed approach without any regard for what is best for the kid. Obviously, MSU told the kid he was not allowed to visit IU if he wanted to keep his MSU offer. Too bad the kid didn't tell MSU to pound salt like he probably should have.

"MSU's heavy handed approach without any regard for what is best for the kid. Obviously, MSU told the kid he was not allowed to visit IU if he wanted to keep his MSU offer. Too bad the kid didn't tell MSU to pound salt like he probably should have.[/QUOTE]"

Where did you get your information regarding MSU? First, MSU told him that he was NOT being recruited as a QB. (In the high school championship game he only threw 2 passes. QB was not going to be his future position at any school.) If IU told him that he had a chance to be a Big Ten QB, they were the ones misleading him. Also, he wants to major in engineering. MSU has several of their football players with Engineering majors. Does IU have an undergraduate Engineering program? (I assumed that they do but I couldn't find it on their website.)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT