ADVERTISEMENT

Pretend Coach Knight took the New Mexico

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeStrait IU

All-American
Apr 10, 2005
job in Late 88, lookin back who would have been your dream three interviews/consecutive coaches to follow Coach for the job at IU?
Fit the Hoosier mold etc?
My three dream choices (Lookin back now how coaches have done since then)
Call #1: Rick Majerus 88-03 before health took him out.
Call #2: Thad Matta 04-12'
Call #3 Boy Wonder 12- retirement.

haha What a perfect wave my dream would've been.

BTW, Coach Knight would have been GREAT at New Mexico.

job in Late 88, lookin back who would have been your dream three interviews/consecutive coaches to follow Coach for the job at IU?

I don’t think anybody has any interest in pretending that we’ve suffered through the same $hit show for the past 35 years that we have for the past twenty plus years, but whatever floats your boat…

• Love
Reactions: Radio Zero

In 1988, Jim Crews would have been under high consideration.

Recall this “saga” played out a week or 2 after graduation in May of ‘88 with CNN Headline Sports covering it every 30 minutes for a few days. IIRC, RMK had been fuming all winter that Ehrlich, who was in his first year on the job, hadn’t supported him publicly when he pulled the team off the floor vs the Soviets in November of ‘87.

In 1988, Jim Crews would have been under high consideration.
Popular belief was that Crews went to UE to get head coaching experience and return to IU when RMK retired. Crews had some good years at UE. I belueve he got tired of recruiting and tried to build a team from players near Evansville or his hometown in Illinois.

My son attended Crews' basketball camp. He gave a speech to the campers and their parents at the end of the camp. He was SO boring to listen to. I imagined him in a player's living room and having to listen to him recruit.

Popular belief was that Crews went to UE to get head coaching experience and return to IU when RMK retired. Crews had some good years at UE. I belueve he got tired of recruiting and tried to build a team from players near Evansville or his hometown in Illinois.

My son attended Crews' basketball camp. He gave a speech to the campers and their parents at the end of the camp. He was SO boring to listen to. I imagined him in a player's living room and having to listen to him recruit.
I attended one of those in like 1992. And yes he was boring to listen to.

Either you’re too young to know who Majerus was or you don’t follow college basketball. Majerus had a proven record of being a great coach, most notably at Utah. Comparing him to Archie Miller is laughable.
I know who Majerus was. I'm just saying that what we know in 2023 isn't the same as what we knew in 1988. In 1988, Jim Crews was viewed as an up and coming young coach with a big up side. Hindsight says I'm wrong, but it was 1988.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Either you’re too young to know who Majerus was or you don’t follow college basketball. Majerus had a proven record of being a great coach, most notably at Utah. Comparing him to Archie Miller is laughable.
Not in pretend land ... anything goes.

Maybe the first call in 1988 should have been Rick Pitino.

Reactions: birdforbogey
Pretend you will one day grow the balls to meet me in person. I've extended countless invitations E. Come on?

Good-Fellas-Hilarious.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT