ADVERTISEMENT

Who are your top 5 ncaa mens basketball coaches

GeorgeStrait IU

All-American
Apr 10, 2005
of all time to never win a national title?

5 Eddie Sutton
4 John Chaney
3 Lue Carnaseca
2 Ray Meyer
1 Rick Majerus

*Honorable Mention/6th man: Gene Keady

I still say that when Coach Knight said "This is the most comfortable red sweater he had worn in five years" while being introduced at Texes Tech, Had he left Indiana after the 1993-1994 season (Last season IU felt like IU basketball) If I could have had one coach from 1994-1995 to mid 2000s, It would have been Rick Majerus. He would have won HUGE at IU. Then Thad Matta from 2006-on until Brad Stevens woulda left Butler (dream world). Anyways. Who are your top five coaches of all time to never win an Ncaa title? Plus one.

5 Eddie Sutton
4 John Chaney
3 Lue Carnaseca
2 Ray Meyer
1 Rick Majerus

I still say that when Coach Knight said "This is the most comfortable red sweater he had worn in five years" while being introduced at Texes Tech, Had he left Indiana after the 1993-1994 season (Last season IU felt like IU basketball) If I could have had one coach from 1994-1995 to mid 2000s, It would have been Rick Majerus. He would have won HUGE at IU. Then Thad Matta from 2006-on until Brad Stevens woulda left Butler (dream world). Anyways. Who are your top five coaches of all time to never win an Ncaa title? Plus one.

94-06

5 Eddie Sutton
4 John Chaney
3 Lue Carnaseca
2 Ray Meyer
1 Rick Majerus

Knight 71-94
Mejarus 94-06
Matta 06-13
Stevens 13-present

#1 program of all time..
A man can dream, eh?

Reactions: ulrey
Mark Few, Brad Stevens, then, I hate to say it, Gene Keady, Matt Painter, and Kelvin Sampson also might make the list.
I still believe people underestimate Majerus..

I mean when he got his players at Saint Louis, before the health condtion took him out...

5 Eddie Sutton
4 John Chaney
3 Lue Carnaseca
2 Ray Meyer
1 Rick Majerus

I'd put Huggy Bear on that list as well. I think Meyer won an NIT back in the 40's but never an NCAA.

Had he left Indiana after the 1993-1994 season (Last season IU felt like IU basketball) If I could have had one coach from 1994-1995 to mid 2000s, It would have been Rick Majerus.
Agree. Was that about the time RMK was considering leaving for New Mexico?

5 Eddie Sutton
4 John Chaney
3 Lue Carnaseca
2 Ray Meyer
1 Rick Majerus

Eddie Sutton?

Eddie Sutton?
based on career total wins, he makes most of the lists in this category.
That aside...and...IMHO....the guy was a scumbag.
Great paragraph in the SOTB book when RMK was pissed about the split ref crew that UK arranged for the Dec 85 game (the no-Alford game because of the Poster Boy controversy). RMK tore into Sutton in the hallway. Imagine that?

based on career total wins, he makes most of the lists in this category.
That aside...and...IMHO....the guy was a scumbag.
Great paragraph in the SOTB book when RMK was pissed about the split ref crew that UK arranged for the Dec 85 game (the no-Alford game because of the Poster Boy controversy). RMK tore into Sutton in the hallway. Imagine that?
I know he won a lot of games, but I never thought he was a great bench coach in addition to being shady. Just wouldn't be on my list of "best coaches" not to win a NC.

I know he won a lot of games, but I never thought he was a great bench coach in addition to being shady. Just wouldn't be on my list of "best coaches" not to win a NC.
also no one mentions Bob Huggins. He's one of only 6 to win 900 games (didn't realize that, and the 5 above him are the legends) and yet he's never won it all. His name should be #1 on everyone's list.

Edit- Brewskie mentioned Huggy Bear. But based on the numbers, he is the GOAT #1 on this list and #2 is a long ways down

Reactions: Brewskie
also no one mentions Bob Huggins. He's one of only 6 to win 900 games (didn't realize that, and the 5 above him are the legends) and yet he's never won it all. His name should be #1 on everyone's list.

Edit- Brewskie mentioned Huggy Bear. But based on the numbers, he is the GOAT #1 on this list and #2 is a long ways down
Huggins would be on my list. Driesell, Bo Ryan, I think those 3. Then I'd have to do some research but Keady, Carneseca, Mark Few... I'm sure there are some others. I can see the argument for Brad Stevens, but tenure is questionable... again best? Then I'm sure there are a ton of guys who never really moved up the ladder like Bob McKillop.

Huggins would be on my list. Driesell, Bo Ryan, I think those 3. Then I'd have to do some research but Keady, Carneseca, Mark Few... I'm sure there are some others. I can see the argument for Brad Stevens, but tenure is questionable... again best? Then I'm sure there are a ton of guys who never really moved up the ladder like Bob McKillop.
Lefty did less with more than any other coach in our lifetimes.

I could go with Huggy, Ryan, Keady, Carnesecca and Few.

Gene Keady's record against Mike Davis was 2-7.
. . . and 21-20 against RMK . . . .

Went to a seminar many moons ago where Bob McKillop was the keynote speaker. Just a fabulous person and one of the sharpest basketball minds around. City slicker from New York who just fell in love with North Carolina and never wanted anything bigger.

Reactions: kkott
no to Brad...he wasn't in the game long enough and has been out for several years now.

And ....I thought we weren't ever going to mention his name again....

Some wounds never heal.

• Haha
Reactions: mk30 and kkott
. . . and 21-20 against RMK . . . .

Well, I think it is crystal clear that RMK would have had more wins against Keady if he wasn't fired. Davis owned the PUkes.

Beilein went to 2 national title games. He was a better coach than huggy imo.

Reactions: kkott
Beilein went to 2 national title games. He was a better coach than huggy imo.
that's probably true. Huggins has just endured for a long time at several schools. He's never been at a school that gets weekly national TV coverage, like the blue bloods do, so I just kinda forget about him. I had no clue he has surpassed 900 wins. I have to clean up my previous data- he's actually #4 now- with more career wins than RMK. LIke I said, he's done so rather quietly.

Reactions: dbmhoosier
Perhaps . . . but RMK said this about Keady:

In turn, Knight anoints Keady as “the very best coach that I know.”
That's nice of him to say. But, RMK is obviously the superior coach. Hell, Digger Phelps is better than Keady. Maybe Mike Brey is better than Keady.

Reactions: sluggo69

5 Eddie Sutton
4 John Chaney
3 Lue Carnaseca
2 Ray Meyer
1 Rick Majerus

What about slick Rick? Coach K? Jimmy Boeheim?

Went to a seminar many moons ago where Bob McKillop was the keynote speaker. Just a fabulous person and one of the sharpest basketball minds around. City slicker from New York who just fell in love with North Carolina and never wanted anything bigger.
Davidson is a really quaint little town. Gorgeous campus abuts a neat little downtown area. It could be really comfortable if you didn't have to travel to Charlotte everyday to work... traffic to get there is bad.

My son went to their bball camp a couple years and he was always there at check in and very approachable. I've heard him speak a couple times too and he seems like a very genuine and good guy. I think he's not the most outgoing person as a couple times I've chatted with him and he was just kind of standing off to the side of things by himself. But, I think he was a very good bball mind and coach. A step down, but he's kind of been like Few in that he's tapped the international players and melded them in with guys that were overlooked for whatever reason and then has adjusted his basic philosophy to his players. I really thought stepping up to the A10 would be too big a step for them, but he did pretty well there too. I don't think his son is having as good a time of it right now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT