ADVERTISEMENT

Prediction for upcoming season

Priller's 4 years of experience-I'll take Hunter
RJ's " "- I'll take Romeo
Newkirk's 5 years of experience- I'll gladly take Phinisee
McSwain's 4 years experience- I'll take Fitzner and Forrester all day
Hartmann's 5 years " "- give me Damezi and his game

Not one of these "experienced" players is better than the freshman that replaces them, game one.
This is classic overhype of freshmen because you haven’t seen their weaknesses. Happens every year. I can’t believe people don’t learn. Hs highlight tapes are not the same as college reality.

Remember when Newkirk was going to be better than Yogi? Clifton Moore was going to start by Big Ten season? Remember Parea?

This is classic overhype of freshmen because you haven’t seen their weaknesses. Happens every year. I can’t believe people don’t learn. Hs highlight tapes are not the same as college reality.

Remember when Newkirk was going to be better than Yogi? Clifton Moore was going to start by Big Ten season? Remember Parea?

Yogi was better as a freshman than Newkirk was as a 4th year junior. One of your 3 examples does not support your claim.

Yogi was better as a freshman than Newkirk was as a 4th year junior. One of your 3 examples does not support your claim.
Exactly. Yet when Newkirk committed a common theme on here was that Newkirk would be better for the team than Yogi because he was “pass first”. This was when half the board hated Yogi and blamed him for Crean’s ineptness.

It’s all around the common theme that freshmen are always overhyped and current players undervalued. Happens every year on here.

What is wrong with you? Seriously
This team has experience. It’s not 1980 anymore when every team had 3-4 four year seniors. You really have very little knowledge or value to add to discussion on this board. I’d suggest trying to watch some more games, read articles, read posts, but don’t give your input because it is just sad to see you try.
Your post isn’t really relevant or responsive to anything said here, and it shows no comprehension for or understanding of IU hoops.

Last edited:
Your post isn’t really relevant or reaponsive to anything said here, and it shows no compression for or understanding of IU hoops.
I wasn’t try to compress you...not sure how to do that. While you study hoops and become more knowledgeable throw in an English class.

Reactions: mathboy
Exactly. Yet when Newkirk committed a common theme on here was that Newkirk would be better for the team than Yogi because he was “pass first”. This was when half the board hated Yogi and blamed him for Crean’s ineptness.

It’s all around the common theme that freshmen are always overhyped and current players undervalued. Happens every year on here.
Kind of funny coming from you because you want us to be just like UK and have mainly all freshmen team but you want to down play our freshman

You think experience is the key to success. I say it is talent. Experience means nothing without talent. Priller had 4 years of working out, film study, practicing against better players and every opportunity to use his experience to play. Despite all that, he never played one minute in a situation that mattered.

Players have a limit on skill and ability. Getting a year older does not make them better
It’s not the only key but it’s not simply a matter of plugging in more talented players and then getting a better result. Experience matters, and a good portion of the team was in high school a few months ago.

I wasn’t try to compress you...not sure how to do that. While you study hoops and become more knowledgeable throw in an English class.
Editing class would be more helpful. Your failing was in terms of a lack of comprehension, rather than compression.

A common theme.... in your head! I've been on this board for many, many years and I don't remember ANYONE saying Newkirk would be better than Yogi. I'd agree there were folks who blamed Yogi for faults in his game that I believe Crean was responsible for, and I think there were folks on here who thought Newkirk was a fine addition (myself included, and so wrong!) but it was not widely held or even a somewhat supported view that he'd be better than Yogi.

Reactions: Rakkasan29
We are not going anywhere unless we fix our problems. 140th in the country in points per possession allowed, horrific free throw and 3pt shooting. Where are the pure shooters? My opinion.
Arch has developed a roster that goes a long way to fixing the problems you mentioned. He added an experienced stretch 5 in Fitzner that should really open up the court for Morgan so he isn’t doubled down low. Adding Romeo should instantly add the scoring punch we lacked last year and also pad the FT attempts we need via his great slashing game. Having Race redshirt this past season was a very smart move. He’s had a year to physically develop and learn the defense.
Arch has added depth to all positions. Best of all, Justin and DeVonte are a year older and I expect their respective games will improve with their greater maturity, physical development and increased knowledge of the system.
Also, I expect Archie to be a better coach this year. He had to go through a huge adjustment coming to the B1G from Dayton. And the Indiana job itself, given our history the last number of years and the stage it’s on, required a major adjustment as well.
You can sweat it if u like, but I’m definitely encouraged!

It’s not the only key but it’s not simply a matter of plugging in more talented players and then getting a better result. Experience matters, and a good portion of the team was in high school a few months ago.
If you had to pick one, who would you rather have this year, Hartman for a 6th year or Hunter for his first?

Would you rather have Romeo or Rojo?

Those two are the only players we lost that were of any significance. Does that help you?

You are forgetting we return Morgan, Davis, Green, Fitzner and McBob with 2+ years of experience. Smith and Durham aren't bad either.

Reactions: ufo33
If you had to pick one, who would you rather have this year, Hartman for a 6th year or Hunter for his first?

Those two are the only players we lost that were of any significance. Does that help you?

You are forgetting we return Morgan, Davis, Green, Fitzner and McBob with 2+ years of experience. Smith and Durham aren't bad either.
Those returning players led IU to a defeat at the hands of Rutgers in the BiG 10 tournament and no tournament bid and have been replaced by giysbwho were in high school a few months ago. I’m not dismissing talent but I’ve seen enough IU basketball to see experience dismissed, as you’ve done, and the immediate impact of talent overrated every year. We’ll see how it goes but managing expectations makes a ton of sense if you’ve watched IU through the years.

From who?

We get that you are in love with the Freshman and think they'll all be starters come Conference play, but honestly, we have a huge question mark at Point whether you like it or not.

Please don't tell us about how you watched Phinisee dominate in a few High School games because we're uninterested.
Playing the most experienced Senior at PG last season got continued bonehead turnovers and poor decision making. IU has many better options now to initiate the offense, I fully expect a lot of the offense to flow through Romeo while not playing a traditional PG position. Al Durham is a better choice, Phinesee is a better choice, Devonte is not a PG and is the most risky with the ball but he will still be an improvement. Damezi and Hunter have playmaking, scoring, and passing ability. I really don't see how any combination of these players initiating the offense to be any worse than last years PG play. Vijay Blackman may also play some PG this season under unique circumstances, injuries, etc. Morgan and Romeo are studs, and major scoring threats. A Inside/Outside scoring combo, which will help whoever is playing PG or initiating the offense.

Last edited:
We witnessed possibly the worst PG play ever in an IU uniform. Even if the IU PG doesnt even look to score. if they can make the fundamental pass and value the basketball, cut down or eliminate unforced turnovers it would immediately make IU a much better team

You are forgetting we return Morgan, Davis, Green, Fitzner and McBob with 2+ years of experiencmlme. Smith and Durham aren't bad either.
I would not start 1 Senior from last season, on this seasons IU team. I'll take Romeo and Hunter over last sesson.

Last edited:
Reactions: iubud
Those returning players led IU to a defeat at the hands of Rutgers in the BiG 10 tournament and no tournament bid and have been replaced by giysbwho were in high school a few months ago. I’m not dismissing talent but I’ve seen enough IU basketball to see experience dismissed, as you’ve done, and the immediate impact of talent overrated every year. We’ll see how it goes but managing expectations makes a ton of sense if you’ve watched IU through the years.
You didn't answer my questions but I think I see how you would respond. I don't ignore experience, but experience without talent means nothing (Priller).

BTW, we missed the tournament because our most experienced players did not play up to a required level. You can't blame it on youth. Our senior backcourt of Rojo and Newkirk shot terrible most of the year and turned the ball over too much. We were happy to have Hartman back and we needed him to be competing for starting minutes. He had an early good game and disappeared. Morgan and a walk on stepped up and that is all from returning players.

I am glad to trade youth and talent for those seniors with a history of mediocrity and failure. I feel similar about the seniors that left as I did about Archie replacing Crean.

Playing the most experienced Senior at PG last season got continued bonehead turnovers and poor decision making. IU has many better options now to initiate the offense, I fully expect a lot of the offense to flow through Romeo while not playing a traditional PG position. Al Durham is a better choice, Phinesee is a better choice, Devonte is not a PG and is the most risky with the ball but he will still be an improvement. Damezi and Hunter have playmaking, scoring, and passing ability. I really don't see how any combination of these players initiating the offense to be any worse than last years PG play. Vijay Blackman may also play some PG this season under unique circumstances, injuries, etc. Morgan and Romeo are studs, and major scoring threats. A Inside/Outside scoring combo, which will help whoever is playing PG or initiating the offense.

The only freshman that needs to play a lot and contribute is Romeo, and that's the beauty of this year's team. There are no expectations for the rest of the freshman this year. If a couple are as great as you are making them out to be, this year, that just makes us more dangerous.

What cracks me up in this thread is that there is this mentality that we are inexperienced and undersized. We are neither.

We'll probably start three upperclassmen and a sophomore along with a projected lottery pick....in year two of a completely different system, with a 6th man senior on top of it.

Then we have a lot of talented but inexperienced players coming off the bench. If just two out of Moore, Anderson, Phinesse, Race, Hunter, Forrester, Durham and lastly Davis can contribute...we'll be more than okay.

The core is Morgan, Smith, Romeo, Devonte, McRoberts and Fitzner.

When are people going to learn that McRoberts is highly valued by the staff and is going to play....a lot, and he does a lot of things that win games that no one else does. If he can play like last year we will win a lot of games. He probably is best playing with our best scorers, since scoring isn't his forte, so playing alongside Romeo is probably the best lineup with him.

Reactions: speroni

NOBODY said that about Newkirk. People were like “WTF?”......a transfer who lost mins to a freshmen???

NOBODY said that about Moore.

And we will only count on ONE F*%#ING FRESHMAN this year. Who happens to be a NBA lottery pick......jeezus....

How’s Brad doing?

Reactions: ufo33

Deron Davis, Fitzner, and Race Thompson were not in high school a few months ago.

And IMO, Romeo is a tad bit better than your typical Freshman.

Wanna bet?

Last edited:

There you go again ... "when Newkirk was going to be better than Yogi" Nope, don't remember that at all, because you're making up crap, or being hyperbolas, again. I don't disagree with too many of your premises, but the way you go about arguing them ie creating strawman, hyperbole, or just plain making shit up, is annoying beyond compare and kills any valid points you may have made. Stop ... stick to the facts and quit rewriting history.

Deron Davis, Fitzner, and Race Thompson were not in high school a few months ago.

And IMO, Romeo is a tad bit better than your typical Freshman.

Wanna bet?
Well, one has an Achilles injury and an uncertain return date, the other was coming off the bench for St. Mary’s, and the third watched every game in street clothes. This doesn’t help your argument.

Kind of funny coming from you because you want us to be just like UK and have mainly all freshmen team but you want to down play our freshman
I would never play down our freshmen if they were as talented as UK’s. Have I ever played down Romeo? Or Yogi? Or Zeller? Or Vonleh?

NOBODY said that about Newkirk. People were like “WTF?”......a transfer who lost mins to a freshmen???

NOBODY said that about Moore.

And we will only count on ONE F*%#ING FRESHMAN this year. Who happens to be a NBA lottery pick......jeezus....

How’s Brad doing?
You must be new or have dementia. Most people on here then remember it very clear. This was when the Crean Cult was alive and well.

You didn't answer my questions but I think I see how you would respond. I don't ignore experience, but experience without talent means nothing (Priller).

BTW, we missed the tournament because our most experienced players did not play up to a required level. You can't blame it on youth. Our senior backcourt of Rojo and Newkirk shot terrible most of the year and turned the ball over too much. We were happy to have Hartman back and we needed him to be competing for starting minutes. He had an early good game and disappeared. Morgan and a walk on stepped up and that is all from returning players.

I am glad to trade youth and talent for those seniors with a history of mediocrity and failure. I feel similar about the seniors that left as I did about Archie replacing Crean.
Exactly

You must be new or have dementia. Most people on here then remember it very clear. This was when the Crean Cult was alive and well.

Surely one other poster would agree with your made up crap, right?

You do know you could look for it, right?

Well, one has an Achilles injury and an uncertain return date, the other was coming off the bench for St. Mary’s, and the third watched every game in street clothes. This doesn’t help your argument.

Street clothes (red shirt) = can’t help
Injured last season = cant help (back in October FYI)
Playing Behind a 7ft Senior All American = bad

Hey, what’s your next username going to be so I can keep this up later?

Last edited:
Reactions: Rakkasan29
All 3 would’ve played this season. They weren’t effective because they were in a new system, just like the new kids will be in. Have seen it over and over through the years.
Where have you seen this over and over thru the years? Be specific. Asking for a friend.

Where have you seen this over and over thru the years? Be specific. Asking for a friend.
That’s easy . . . following IU. Go back and look at freshmen laden IU teams through the years (since I know you didn’t actually see any of them play).

That’s easy . . . following IU. Go back and look at freshmen laden IU teams through the years (since I know you didn’t actually see any of them play).
which teams? I do remember Alford and Simmons as freshmen and going to the Elite 8, beating Jordan and UNC along the way. Now give me some of those other IU teams "laden" with freshmen that you are referring to.

And college basketball has been the exact same through the years.....

What’s your next name again?

which teams? I do remember Alford and Simmons as freshmen and going to the Elite 8, beating Jordan and UNC along the way. Now give me some of those other IU teams "laden" with freshmen that you are referring to.
The 1983-84 team had Alford but only Marty Simmons played much in that freshmen class, and his play declined as the season progressed. Of course, that team featured Uwe Blab, Mike Giomi, Dan Dakich, Stew Robinson and Winston Morgan, a more formidable group than the current IU upper class men.

But what about the heralded 1989-90 freshmen class, featuring Calbert Cheaney, Pat Graham, Greg Graham, Chris Reynolds and Chris Lawson. Five legitimate top 100 kids, a top five national class and easily the best class in the Big 10 (and I’m leaving out Lawrence Funderburke). They went 18-11 overall and 8-10 in the conference.

Last edited:

Ok, three things:

1.) I am one who: was wrong about Moore being the best of the three by the end of the year, still believes a pass-first point guard is a more natural fit for basketball offenses.

2.) I agree that freshmen are over-hyped sometimes and that experienced players are of high value.

3.) Newkirk struggled with turnovers, and I think Cream pushed offensive productivity on him too much. But he also did not adjust well to Archie last year. He just never seemed to reach his potential. But I also argue that transfers don't generally blend in quickly to a new system.

We witnessed possibly the worst PG play ever in an IU uniform. Even if the IU PG doesnt even look to score. if they can make the fundamental pass and value the basketball, cut down or eliminate unforced turnovers it would immediately make IU a much better team
Newkirk wasn't great but I think it is a stretch to say he was the worst PG never. I watched an old game from 94-95 season the other night and we only had 3 guards on the roster in Michael Hermon, Steve Hart and Neil Reed who had his arm in a sling. they had to use Charlie Miller as a 2 guard that year so I would say our guard play last year was better than that year.

The only freshman that needs to play a lot and contribute is Romeo, and that's the beauty of this year's team. There are no expectations for the rest of the freshman this year. If a couple are as great as you are making them out to be, this year, that just makes us more dangerous.

What cracks me up in this thread is that there is this mentality that we are inexperienced and undersized. We are neither.

We'll probably start three upperclassmen and a sophomore along with a projected lottery pick....in year two of a completely different system, with a 6th man senior on top of it.

Then we have a lot of talented but inexperienced players coming off the bench. If just two out of Moore, Anderson, Phinesse, Race, Hunter, Forrester, Durham and lastly Davis can contribute...we'll be more than okay.

The core is Morgan, Smith, Romeo, Devonte, McRoberts and Fitzner.

When are people going to learn that McRoberts is highly valued by the staff and is going to play....a lot, and he does a lot of things that win games that no one else does. If he can play like last year we will win a lot of games. He probably is best playing with our best scorers, since scoring isn't his forte, so playing alongside Romeo is probably the best lineup with him.
From what I have read that Hunter should be a big contributor next year

Newkirk wasn't great but I think it is a stretch to say he was the worst PG never. I watched an old game from 94-95 season the other night and we only had 3 guards on the roster in Michael Hermon, Steve Hart and Neil Reed who had his arm in a sling. they had to use Charlie Miller as a 2 guard that year so I would say our guard play last year was better than that year.

No one said that. I said he was the worst starting PG in IU history. Do you think maybe that's because of his career 10.7 PER? DERP!

Your sentence doesn't even make sense. Do better.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT