ADVERTISEMENT

Prediction for upcoming season

Durham and Phinisee are guards who pass first but can lead the offense while Romeo will be a major scoring option as a shooter and with the ball. Green, to me, is a question mark but Archie's recent interview makes it clear that Green is ready, so that makes 4 solid guards with the bonus guard for defense (McRoberts).

Juwan claims Race, Smith, Al, and Fitzner will impress, which to me says that Moore and Forrester and Anderson may be odd men out in the rotation. Plenty of depth at forward, and Anderson should be a guy who can play Colin's role from last year, being a big guard who can come in and hit shots right away and then hustle on defense.

Hartman struggled due to injury which made him almost completely ineffective from outside in the last half of the season. It really had nothing to do with his experience. If he had been healthy, he would have helped a lot.

McSwain was physically very strong for IU but he was grossly undersized for his position (center) in the Big Ten. Had he been 6'10" he would have been a heck of a defender last year. I really thought he played the right way with his toughness.

Rob Johnson was an asset without any question. It took him longer than expected to adjust to an offense where creating off the dribble is more highly valued, but he did find rhythm and his shot in games like Iowa, and he is not easy to replace. Im sure Archie would love to have him one more year.
Agree. They’ll miss all three of those guys a great deal.

Green shot over 50% from 3 the last 12 games of the season.

And Fitzner shot 40% last year at St Mary’s (making almost 2 a game)

I’m expecting around 38% from Romeo.

McRoberts probably isn’t going to be counted on to shoot the 3

Hence why I said Guard. Obviously Fitzner can shoot. One of Green and Romeo getting close to 40% would be nice. I agree that it's more likely to be Green. Romeo shot 36% last year playing against high schooler's.

Hopefully we don't have to count on McRoberts for anything...

You do know IU will start 2 seniors and a junior right?

And will have a Senior and Junior on the bench for first 3 in?

And will only count on one Freshmen?
They’re likely to have to count on more than one freshman. If they can’t, that’s a problem, given the returnees.

Reactions: echs86
Not surprised you fail to appreciate this. If you’d seen much IU basketball over time, it wouldn’t be a mystery.
All three of them underperformed drastically. You're talking about 3 guys who have a 14 PER or under and the worst starting guard in IU history.

lmao .. . you may watch IU basketball, but that doesn't mean you know a damn thing.

Wanna bet?

I already asked, but you seem set to troll this thread.
Unless you’re content with another season of just over .500 ball, your line up proj cation isn’t close to reality. And the experience issue isn’t a mystery if you’ve watched any IU hoops through the years.Not sure why you consider that trolling to point those things out to you.

Unless you’re content with another season of just over .500 ball, your line up proj cation isn’t close to reality. And the experience issue isn’t a mystery if you’ve watched any IU hoops through the years.Not sure why you consider that trolling to point those things out to you.

It’s simple, do you want to bet or not?

What do you have to lose? You’ll just create another account anyway.

Keep on Trollin....

They won’t miss Priller but they’ll definitely miss the other guys. Experience is huge, especially in conference play and definitely on the road. IU still gets everyone’s best game.
Romeo replaces RJ
Phinisee repalces Newkirk
Hunter replaces McSwain
Forrester replaces Priller
Anderson replaces Hartmann
Fitzner is icing on the cake.

Larry, your posts are scary.

Reactions: ufo33
Hence why I said Guard. Obviously Fitzner can shoot. One of Green and Romeo getting close to 40% would be nice. I agree that it's more likely to be Green. Romeo shot 36% last year playing against high schooler's.

Hopefully we don't have to count on McRoberts for anything...
Just spit balling here but could Romeo's % go up because he won't be taking a majority of the shots? I'm thinking his shot selection will be better with less volume than in high school.

It’s simple, do you want to bet or not?

What do you have to lose? You’ll just create another account anyway.

Keep on Trollin....
You can’t even support what you’re saying because you’ve seen so little IU hoops. Always forgot how many people have never experienced Iu basketball at a high level.

Romeo replaces RJ
Phinisee repalces Newkirk
Hunter replaces McSwain
Forrester replaces Priller
Anderson replaces Hartmann
Fitzner is icing on the cake.

Larry, your posts are scary.
Tell me all about the best college games each of those guys has played. Just one game per player, please.

I expect Romeo to improve his 3pt % with better shot selection and fewer 25 ft + bombs than in HS. More weapons around him than just Sean East. Making double teaming Romeo more difficult. I expect Romeo to be more efficient offensively at IU than he was in HS with more offensive threats around him. Romeo is gifted offensively with an entire arsenal of offensive weapons. I am excited to see Damezi splash some 3s, as he is one of the better mid range and 3pt shooters on the team. Phinesee has great court presence and control of the offense.

Reactions: 13thman
It's time to turn the page from last season. I expect PG play to be greatly improved.

They’ll miss both, especially in terms of game preparation. Experience is huge.
The only senior that would have played this year is Rojo. That would have been occaisionally as a third guard or back up to Romeo. Why didn't all that experience make Hartman and McSwain effective last year? Did you watch Newkirk? What guard would you prefer him over? '

All three of them underperformed drastically. You're talking about 3 guys who have a 14 PER or under and the worst starting guard in IU history.

lmao .. . you may watch IU basketball, but that doesn't mean you know a damn thing.
Please share the analytics for the incoming freshmen. You know, the ones who have yet to play a college game. I get that you’re a stats guy and there’s a place for that, but so was Crean, and neither you nor he ever played the game. That’s obvious.

The only senior that would have played this year is Rojo. That would have been occaisionally as a third guard or back up to Romeo. Why didn't all that experience make Hartman and McSwain effective last year? Did you watch Newkirk? What guard would you prefer him over? '
All 3 would’ve played this season. They weren’t effective because they were in a new system, just like the new kids will be in. Have seen it over and over through the years.

Last year's Seniors just simply did not have the talent, or were injured. Addition by subtraction. The top players returned from last season. Possibly the worst starting Senior PG play that I have ever witnessed at IU has moved on. I would start none of the Seniors from last year over this year's team.

Just spit balling here but could Romeo's % go up because he won't be taking a majority of the shots? I'm thinking his shot selection will be better with less volume than in high school.

I'm thinking the fact that he's shooting from a further distance and has athletes that can actually close out on him playing defense will cause it to stay about the same or go down.

You saying Romeo was known for poor shot selection in High School?

It's time to turn the page from last season. I expect PG play to be greatly improved.

From who?

We get that you are in love with the Freshman and think they'll all be starters come Conference play, but honestly, we have a huge question mark at Point whether you like it or not.

Please don't tell us about how you watched Phinisee dominate in a few High School games because we're uninterested.

They’re likely to have to count on more than one freshman. If they can’t, that’s a problem, given the returnees.

IF McRoberts is scouting or in the top 7 of the rotation, then I will be worried that this team hasn't gotten any better!

Fitzner (Davis if healthy)
Morgan
Smith
Romeo
Green

Hunter
Durham
Phinisee
Thompson
McRoberts

You can’t even support what you’re saying because you’ve seen so little IU hoops. Always forgot how many people have never experienced Iu basketball at a high level.

All you keep saying is that IU is young (they aren't) and that the worst back court in IU's history will be missed (they won't).

That pretty much sums it up.

All 3 would’ve played this season. They weren’t effective because they were in a new system, just like the new kids will be in. Have seen it over and over through the years.
Newkirk was a low IQ point guard that didn't value the ball and despite hearing he was a beast defensively in practice, I never saw it in a game. Durham has a higher ceiling than him. Green still has 2 years to pass Newkirk if he didn't already do that in his first 2 years.

Hartman didn't struggle because of the system. He couldn't put the ball in the basket. He fell out of the rotation and was passed up by McBob and Smith. At least two freshman would play this year in front of him.

McSwain was a rebounder. At least he had a skill. It wouldn't be enough to make me want him over Anderson, Hunter, or a graduate transfer that can actually defend the rim.

Rojo was best when he played the second or third scoring option. With Yogi or JBJ, he seemed confident and was able to make an open 3. He did have shooting slumps in nearly every season. He would have been fine playing along with Romeo, but he wouldn't have been a point guard. Archie could have used him as a 3rd guard at times or when Romeo was on the bench. He would have played on this team.

Priller had 4 years of training and experience with the team. He is proof that it takes more than time and experience to play at this level. All the players you think were good because of experience has an incoming player that will be as good or better by game 3 or 4 if not sooner. Those players have a greater chance to raise the play of the team than the worst senior class I can ever remember.

Reactions: Rakkasan29
Last year's Seniors just simply did not have the talent, or were injured. Addition by subtraction. The top players returned from last season. Possibly the worst starting Senior PG play that I have ever witnessed at IU has moved on. I would start none of the Seniors from last year over this year's team.
I was at a UE game last year and their starting backcourt was. much better than ours. I pointed that out and said I would even take the backcourt of the Aces opponent instead of our senior guards.

All you keep saying is that IU is young (they aren't) and that the worst back court in IU's history will be missed (they won't).

That pretty much sums it up.
And you’re totally dismissive of the role experience plays in any team. If you’d watched any IU hoops through the years, you’d have a much better understanding.

And you’re totally dismissive of the role experience plays in any team. If you’d watched any IU hoops through the years, you’d have a much better understanding.
Experience is not a substitute for talent. After 4 years, who would Priller be better than from the incoming class? We got better the day the season ended.

You are just wrong or a troll.

Experience is not a substitute for talent. After 4 years, who would Priller be better than from the incoming class? We got better the day the season ended.

You are just wrong or a troll.
Why are you using Priller as the basis for your argument here? He’s not relevant to the discussion as anyone who’s followed Iu would understand.

Why are you using Priller as the basis for your argument here? He’s not relevant to the discussion as anyone who’s followed Iu would understand.
You think experience is the key to success. I say it is talent. Experience means nothing without talent. Priller had 4 years of working out, film study, practicing against better players and every opportunity to use his experience to play. Despite all that, he never played one minute in a situation that mattered.

Players have a limit on skill and ability. Getting a year older does not make them better

Reactions: jimmygoiu
What is wrong with you? Seriously
This team has experience. It’s not 1980 anymore when every team had 3-4 four year seniors. You really have very little knowledge or value to add to discussion on this board. I’d suggest trying to watch some more games, read articles, read posts, but don’t give your input because it is just sad to see you try.

Priller's 4 years of experience-I'll take Hunter
RJ's " "- I'll take Romeo
Newkirk's 5 years of experience- I'll gladly take Phinisee
McSwain's 4 years experience- I'll take Fitzner and Forrester all day
Hartmann's 5 years " "- give me Damezi and his game

Not one of these "experienced" players is better than the freshman that replaces them, game one.

I just can't believe people are this negative even before a single game has been played. I wish for once people could look at something and see it as half full instead of half empty. I would think being negative in everything they look at would be a very depressing life to live and it is just not a healthy way to live.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT