ADVERTISEMENT

Predicting Starters at FIU

cshartle123

Senior
Apr 8, 2016
Who do you think will start the first game of the season. Copy and paste my post and make changes.

The biggest question marks I have are Stinger, FS, and CB.

QB: Ramsey
RB: Ellison
LT: Cronk
LG: Martin
C: Linder
RG: Stepaniak
RT: Knight
TE: Watercutter
WR: Westbrook
WR: Hale
Slot: Philyor

MLB: McGinnis
Stinger: Jones?
Husky: Ball
DE: Sykes
DE: Wilson
DT: Robinson
DT: Barwick
FS: Fitzgerald?
SS: Crawford
CB: Riggins
CB: Layne?

Reactions: Indianaftw
Who do you think will start the first game of the season. Copy and paste my post and make changes.

On offense the only option I see is maybe Timian at WR over Hale.
Maybe Stallings at DE
Gotta go with Brown at CB instead of Layne

Barnum > Jones.....if Jones starts there we've got troubles......

Barwick will play as a senior and he's a contributor, but I think we have bigger, faster younger guys coming up that will start over him.

Don't think McGinnis starts - concerned his speed hasn't translated as well to D1? Would think Burnham here (6'3 240lb range) and athletic.

Per above, not sure how Timian starts over a healthy Hale. Think Timian is going to get a lot of time as first receiver off the bench type role.

Think IU is going to have better depth this year which will be nice.

Per above, not sure how Timian starts over a healthy Hale. Think Timian is going to get a lot of time as first receiver off the bench type role.
Timian could well get the nod. He had a great year (Honorable Mention All B1G) and came up particularly big against some of the best competition (e.g. Ohio State and Michigan).

Reactions: DANC
Timian could well get the nod. He had a great year (Honorable Mention All B1G) and came up particularly big against some of the best competition (e.g. Ohio State and Michigan).
If healthy, both of those guys are going to play a lot of snaps. Not sure it matters at all which one is on the field for the first offensive play.

I agree with most of what has been said here. Hoping that Burnam steps up and takes a hold of that spot. Really concerned about Jones. He got picked on a lot last year whenever he came into games.

Also hoping one of the younger guys like Hendershot or the incoming Fr. steps up at TE. Watercutter is nice but we need more there.

Like Sykes at DE, but hope Minor, Harris or Johnson grab one of those DL spots.

I agree with most of what has been said here. Hoping that Burnam steps up and takes a hold of that spot. Really concerned about Jones. He got picked on a lot last year whenever he came into games.

Also hoping one of the younger guys like Hendershot or the incoming Fr. steps up at TE. Watercutter is nice but we need more there.

Like Sykes at DE, but hope Minor, Harris or Johnson grab one of those DL spots.

Confused by Jones - coaches and other players seemed to be really high on him. His name always came up during interviews during spring and fall camp as a guy that was supposed to have a breakout year. Maybe nerves?

Confused by Jones - coaches and other players seemed to be really high on him. His name always came up during interviews during spring and fall camp as a guy that was supposed to have a breakout year. Maybe nerves?

I agree that LB is a scary proposition right now for an outsider looking in.

McGinnis, Burnam, Jones, Walton, and Allen are the names I'm seeing. They must think that group as a whole is adequate......there was no outward indication that they were looking for immediate help through the JC or grad transfer route.......

I agree that LB is a scary proposition right now for an outsider looking in.

McGinnis, Burnam, Jones, Walton, and Allen are the names I'm seeing. They must think that group as a whole is adequate......there was no outward indication that they were looking for immediate help through the JC or grad transfer route.......

Only thing I can think of with Jones is that maybe he had some minor injuries that were holding him back that weren’t made public, but that is pure speculation.

RG: Knight
RT: Baker

MLB: Burnham
Stinger: Ball
Husky: Fitzgerald
DT: Harris
FS: Bryant
CB: Layne

K: Campbell
P: Whitehead
KR: Gest
PR: If he can recover yet again, J-Shun. If not, Jaylin Williams

Walton will start at stinger. He’s the only one with any starting experience. From what I hear, still has the “quick twitch” of a DB. He will make a smooth transition to stinger and make a lot of plays/you can actually put him in man coverage which is unusual for an LB. I’ll go so far as to say that I won’t be shocked if Walton gets looks as an NFL Will.

Then who is the guy that was mentioned foregoing his senior season and going into a different role on the team? I know I read it somewhere.
Cook. Cook would be a senior this year (redshirt junior) but is giving it up due to injuries. He was a guy who also wouldn’t have stayed at corner. If memory serves me well, we were grooming him to be a linebacker, because he came in as a safety. As a freshman he played nickel, which was a glorified outside linebacker position. He had some good moments like his INT TD against FIU. He was a really versitle player who wouldve been productive had it not been for injuries.

Brown will be back but I have no confidence in him starting. I simply don’t think Brown is cut out for Big Ten football. I think that their are more talented guys behind him. It isn’t disappointing that Tyler Green is transferring, because I thought he played okay when given opportunities. I like Riggins, he’s made of the right stuff. The issue now is finding that second corner now that Green is gone.

Cook. Cook would be a senior this year (redshirt junior) but is giving it up due to injuries. He was a guy who also wouldn’t have stayed at corner. If memory serves me well, we were grooming him to be a linebacker, because he came in as a safety. As a freshman he played nickel, which was a glorified outside linebacker position. He had some good moments like his INT TD against FIU. He was a really versitle player who wouldve been productive had it not been for injuries.

Brown will be back but I have no confidence in him starting. I simply don’t think Brown is cut out for Big Ten football. I think that their are more talented guys behind him. It isn’t disappointing that Tyler Green is transferring, because I thought he played okay when given opportunities. I like Riggins, he’s made of the right stuff. The issue now is finding that second corner now that Green is gone.
I gotta disagree about Brown. As far as production he has more tackles, and tfl than any other DB returning and had more tackles than Fant last year. If someone beats him out then we are in really good shape and have some depth. While there may be some with more talent he started as a true and this is his 3rd year in the Big. He has figured it out and knows what he is up against. Having his experience on the field can only make a defense missing key pieces better.

Reactions: IUMath
I gotta disagree about Brown. As far as production he has more tackles, and tfl than any other DB returning and had more tackles than Fant last year. If someone beats him out then we are in really good shape and have some depth. While there may be some with more talent he started as a true and this is his 3rd year in the Big. He has figured it out and knows what he is up against. Having his experience on the field can only make a defense missing key pieces better.

It’s not always a good thing when a corner has a lot of tackles. That means other teams are targeting him and his receiver is making a lot of catches.

It’s not always a good thing when a corner has a lot of tackles. That means other teams are targeting him and his receiver is making a lot of catches.
Jimmy Smith started all 4 years at CU and as a true freshman like Brown. As a sophomore he had 38 tackles, 52 as a junior, and 68 as a senior. The guy was a true lockdown corner and is an NFL stud.

Brown had 33 tackles last year and 4 TFL. Thats good production IMO. Good corners tackle well.

Jimmy Smith started all 4 years at CU and as a true freshman like Brown. As a sophomore he had 38 tackles, 52 as a junior, and 68 as a senior. The guy was a true lockdown corner and is an NFL stud.

Brown had 33 tackles last year and 4 TFL. Thats good production IMO. Good corners tackle well.
Yeah i used to watch a lot of Jimmy Smith film. Good physical corner. Was really impressed by him with the Ravens. He was an interesting guy to study.

Brown isn’t in that category because his cover skills/awareness do not appear to be improving. I do agree that he’s a good tackler and is physical. My honest view is that we didn’t see Malcolm Butler play in the Super Bowl particularly because he gets blown up on screens (although he’s a good tackler). The flipside is that you also need to be able to cover. I’ve always thought Andre Brown tackled well/is physical. The issue is lateral quickness, rout recognition and not giving up catches. At the end of the day if I have to pick a corner, I’m picking one who can cover. Jimmy Smith could do both. He’s a big reason as to why the ravens shut people down. He could get depth in cover 4 and they could play zone the whole game and not blitz which is why Smith was invaluable in his prime. Brown doesn’t shut things down like that. I’d say riggins is closer to Jimmy Smith than Brown is. Riggins has what you’re looking for in terms of physicality/cover skills. There’s a safety freshman coming in whos 6’2” who I think moves to corner due to his lateral quickness. Is in the mold of a Jimmy Smith IMHO.

Yeah i used to watch a lot of Jimmy Smith film. Good physical corner. Was really impressed by him with the Ravens. He was an interesting guy to study.

Brown isn’t in that category because his cover skills/awareness do not appear to be improving. I do agree that he’s a good tackler and is physical. My honest view is that we didn’t see Malcolm Butler play in the Super Bowl particularly because he gets blown up on screens (although he’s a good tackler). The flipside is that you also need to be able to cover. I’ve always thought Andre Brown tackled well/is physical. The issue is lateral quickness, rout recognition and not giving up catches. At the end of the day if I have to pick a corner, I’m picking one who can cover. Jimmy Smith could do both. He’s a big reason as to why the ravens shut people down. He could get depth in cover 4 and they could play zone the whole game and not blitz which is why Smith was invaluable in his prime. Brown doesn’t shut things down like that. I’d say riggins is closer to Jimmy Smith than Brown is. Riggins has what you’re looking for in terms of physicality/cover skills. There’s a safety freshman coming in whos 6’2” who I think moves to corner due to his lateral quickness. Is in the mold of a Jimmy Smith IMHO.
Well I used Jimmy as an example only because cs pointed out its not a good thing when a corner has a lot of tackles. I immediately remembered Jimmy and how good a tackler he was. I realize Brown is not in the same mold of course. Jimmy is a special player. On the other side of Jimmy was Jalil Brown who had a lot of tackles too and went on to the NFL. Having corners that are physical tacklers is huge IMO.

With the defense lacking experience because so many are gone its good to have that experience back on the field. Also, we are losing two huge tackle production machines at LB. Whomever is out there needs to tackle well and it seems the guys CTA brings in are tackle machines. If someone surpasses Brown its just a huge bonus because of the immediate depth it creates.

Going off the spring roster only:

QB-Ramsey
RB-Ellison
LT-Cronk
LG-Martin
C-Linder
RG-Crider
RT-Knight
TE-Dorris
WR 1-Westbrook
WR 2-Hale
WR 3-Phylor

DE-Skyes
DT-Robinson
DT-Barwick
DE-Stallings
MLB-McGinnis
Stinger-Walton
CB1-Layne
CB2-Riggins
Husky-Ball
SS-Crawford
FS-Burgess

Well I used Jimmy as an example only because cs pointed out its not a good thing when a corner has a lot of tackles. I immediately remembered Jimmy and how good a tackler he was. I realize Brown is not in the same mold of course. Jimmy is a special player. On the other side of Jimmy was Jalil Brown who had a lot of tackles too and went on to the NFL. Having corners that are physical tacklers is huge IMO.

With the defense lacking experience because so many are gone its good to have that experience back on the field. Also, we are losing two huge tackle production machines at LB. Whomever is out there needs to tackle well and it seems the guys CTA brings in are tackle machines. If someone surpasses Brown its just a huge bonus because of the immediate depth it creates.
Couldn’t see him moving to safety? Ive been curious about Brown as a safety for a while because as you noted, he can tackle effectively, and is good setting the edge at times in the boundary. hes Gotta be close to 200 pounds too.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
Walton a NFL guy?? Wow, where's he been the past few years then? I hope you're right!!

FWIW, Jones scares me at LB, I'm hoping Burnham is the ticket.

Walton a NFL guy?? Wow, where's he been the past few years then? I hope you're right!!

FWIW, Jones scares me at LB, I'm hoping Burnham is the ticket.
Walton has been injured and then moved to LB so last year was basically a redshirt year. If you recall, he was the starting safety over fields and Dutra in 15’ prior to injury in week 2? Maybe. So being healthy has been his primary issue, and last year he simply wasn’t ready to play, or play over Scales after transitioning to LB. however, his height/weight/speed is exceptional for the position, and his coverage skills are more effective at linebacker than even Scales due to his DB background. He has a nose for the ball. He’s the prototypical quick safety/linebacker hybrid that IU has lacked (Willis never developed into that guy). IMHO he is up there with Scales and Covington athletically, but with better cover skills. He should’ve made the switch sooner to LB IMHO.

Jones disappoints me at LB. he was a machine on the scout team, so I’m not sure what happened. Usually the scout team is irrelevant, but he won the player of the week 6 or 7 times, and his coverage ability was amazing as a freshman. As a RS freshman he was active on special teams from the games I saw in person. I don’t know what happened last year. Hopefully a year of development and higher expectations has motivated him, because I didn’t see the desire last year. Played scared.

The worst loss IMHO is Bolstead. I thought that he’d develop into a starter prior to injury. That guy was violent from what I saw. Not often do I notice guys on special teams, but that guy caught my eye in the BSU game a couple of years back. CKW wasn’t known for throwing True Freshman walk-ons into the mix, but that guy was different. He was everywhere in the spring game last year. If he hadn’t have retired due to injury, he’d likely Be the starting mike this fall, with Walton at stinger

Walton has been injured and then moved to LB so last year was basically a redshirt year. If you recall, he was the starting safety over fields and Dutra in 15’ prior to injury in week 2? Maybe. So being healthy has been his primary issue, and last year he simply wasn’t ready to play, or play over Scales after transitioning to LB. however, his height/weight/speed is exceptional for the position, and his coverage skills are more effective at linebacker than even Scales due to his DB background. He has a nose for the ball. He’s the prototypical quick safety/linebacker hybrid that IU has lacked (Willis never developed into that guy). IMHO he is up there with Scales and Covington athletically, but with better cover skills. He should’ve made the switch sooner to LB IMHO.

Jones disappoints me at LB. he was a machine on the scout team, so I’m not sure what happened. Usually the scout team is irrelevant, but he won the player of the week 6 or 7 times, and his coverage ability was amazing as a freshman. As a RS freshman he was active on special teams from the games I saw in person. I don’t know what happened last year. Hopefully a year of development and higher expectations has motivated him, because I didn’t see the desire last year. Played scared.

The worst loss IMHO is Bolstead. I thought that he’d develop into a starter prior to injury. That guy was violent from what I saw. Not often do I notice guys on special teams, but that guy caught my eye in the BSU game a couple of years back. CKW wasn’t known for throwing True Freshman walk-ons into the mix, but that guy was different. He was everywhere in the spring game last year. If he hadn’t have retired due to injury, he’d likely Be the starting mike this fall, with Walton at stinger

Saw the same thing you saw with Bolstead.

He looked like a starter last spring. It's a shame he's done...

Might help from the sideline and in the film room as a former player/coach(?)...

Reactions: vesuvius13

I like Timian for depth but Hale was the starter over him. Hale just has a lot of athletic ability to get up and get the ball at its peak. He could be our best WR. I think they will all get plenty of playing time so it's probably a moot point anyways.

I like Timian for depth but Hale was the starter over him. Hale just has a lot of athletic ability to get up and get the ball at its peak. He could be our best WR. I think they will all get plenty of playing time so it's probably a moot point anyways.
I think Hale will be an NFL wide receiver, but injuries have taken that from many guys that could have played at the next level. His ability to win 50-50 balls would be a big help to Ramsey and the offense.

They also play different positions IMHO, so it doesn’t matter who the starter is per se... you ideally hope they never have to play the others positions. Timien as a slot (s) is effective but he doesn’t have the size to be an outside guy (z). Hale as an outside guy (x) is a weapon on jump balls, but he’d be horrible on bubble screens and shake routes that Timien does. Losing one or the other hurts the other guy because defenses get to focus more on one guy. Having Westbrook as the other outside receiver is a HUGE help too. Tight end will be the question mark.

Reactions: DANC and vesuvius13
They also play different positions IMHO, so it doesn’t matter who the starter is per se... you ideally hope they never have to play the others positions. Timien as a slot (s) is effective but he doesn’t have the size to be an outside guy (z). Hale as an outside guy (x) is a weapon on jump balls, but he’d be horrible on bubble screens and shake routes that Timien does. Losing one or the other hurts the other guy because defenses get to focus more on one guy. Having Westbrook as the other outside receiver is a HUGE help too. Tight end will be the question mark.
Exactly...Hale is not built for slot the guy is 6'4". Timian fits perfect there. So everyone disputing Hale over Timian at slot was a head scratcher for me. Whop fits that small guy mold too. There are also a couple of RB's who were good at catching passes that could fit the slot position.

Fryfogle could be another guy to see plenty of playing time at WR.

Check out this Tronti rope to Felton. Also some TE getting work Austin and Bonner. :)

Last edited:
Exactly...Hale is not built for slot the guy is 6'4". Timian fits perfect there. So everyone disputing Hale over Timian at slot was a head scratcher for me. Whop fits that small guy mold too. There are also a couple of RB's who were good at catching passes that could fit the slot position.

Check out this Tronti rope to Felton. Also some TE getting work Austin and Bonner. :)

Agreed. I see Whop and Timian as the ones fighting out for PT but it should be a fun group either way.

I don't like the angle Burgess took on trying to tackle Bonner. I coached DBs and worked hard to get them to take good angles and they learned, so I don't understand Burgess as an excellent athlete not getting it. Maybe it was just one play and he does it better the majority of the times.

I don't like the angle Burgess took on trying to tackle Bonner. I coached DBs and worked hard to get them to take good angles and they learned, so I don't understand Burgess as an excellent athlete not getting it. Maybe it was just one play and he does it better the majority of the times.
Yeah. Nor did he come to balance. Balls tackle on Dorris (looks like they were only going 75% speed to thud, so probably an “intense walkthrough) is what you’re looking for. He comes to balance nicely, gets low, Runs his feet, head up. If he does that at full speed, that’s what you want.

Wasn't Jones hurt last year?

Wasn't Jones hurt last year?
That’s unclear. We know that he eventually stopped playing due to injury, however he was healthy enough to play initially, and healthy enough to practice on the scout team. So it leads one to ask the question, was he hurt or was he demoted. I know from my time at IU a guy would be listed as “hurt” but would oddly be practicing and appear to have just been demoted. No doubt every guy is a little banged up, but he was healthy enough to play initially, and in that sample size, some were concerned.

That’s unclear. We know that he eventually stopped playing due to injury, however he was healthy enough to play initially, and healthy enough to practice on the scout team. So it leads one to ask the question, was he hurt or was he demoted. I know from my time at IU a guy would be listed as “hurt” but would oddly be practicing and appear to have just been demoted. No doubt every guy is a little banged up, but he was healthy enough to play initially, and in that sample size, some were concerned.
It's hard to believe he was demoted all the way down to practice squad. I thought he had/has a lot of potential.

Here's hoping he comes back strong - we need LBs in the worst way.

It's hard to believe he was demoted all the way down to practice squad. I thought he had/has a lot of potential.

Here's hoping he comes back strong - we need LBs in the worst way.
I will say this. He won scout team player of the week late in the season vs. Illinois. That’s interesting if he were hurt significantly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT