ADVERTISEMENT

Poster Participation Game. Give Us Your Dream College League?

i'vegotwinners

Hall of Famer
Dec 1, 2006
the goal is to have the fewest number of schools possible, and still keep both the media and politicians happy.

premise,

you're a former activist hedge fund manage, who has been hired to put together a collalition of schools to make up the top division of college athletics.

any industry consolidation dynamic has the end goal of as much concentration of wealth and power in as few hands as possible.

maximum concentration, while still being able be satisfy both tv/streaming needs, and political forces.

for college sports, what would that number be, and who would be included in that number?

64, 50, 32?

you might have to have enough schools in enough states that you don't piss off 60 US senators all at the same time..

or maybe not, your call. and there's more than one way to satisfy a senator.

how many senators you need to please is just as much a part of the game as satisfying the tv and streaming guys' needs.

example league.

PSU, OSU, Mich, Wisc, Bama, Fla, Miami, Clemson, UGa, LSU, Texas, OU, A&M, USC, Washington, Oregon, FSU, Auburn, MSU, UNC, Iowa, Tenn, UCLA, Nebraska?

that's 24 teams, which is 12 games per Saturday, which is 4 games per each of the 3 Saturday noon, 3:30, 7:30 time slots, and enough to even slide a game or 2 into that late night west coast time slot.

and more than enough to move a game or 2 a wk to Fri night.

should be more than enough for the tv guys. right?

probably more than enough to build an 8 or 16 team national playoff.

of course there's still a possible numbers problem.

we are circumventing monopoly anti trust, no matter how clever we think we are about doing it, so there still could be a DC issue.

i still have 64 US senators totally unrepresented, and maybe a couple more getting flack from their base because of the brother still left behind, like in SC and Okl, and Penn, and Wash and Oregon and Cal and even Ga.

of course some senators in fly over states like Wy or Montana or Idaho, or Nev, or New Mex, or the Dakotas, who aren't invited to the party now, and never have been, might not care since they aren't losing anything they ever had to begin with.

especially if the league laid a mil per senator each in their political PAC account every term, which of course is perfectly legal thanks to our "honorable" judiciary.

remember, the goal is to find the least number of schools/shares of the pie possible to form the league, while still having enough schools to satisfy TV's/streamer's needs, and keep DC off your back.

give us your league.

Last edited:
I don't know why FSU keeps staying on this list as they haven't put money into football and aren't in the top level anymore. Growing up they were my team to follow but they have been struggling for a while.

Just from a standpoint of not upsetting people across the country and give Indiana a team ND should be on the list, I would rather IU get good enough, but we aren't there yet.

I don't know why FSU keeps staying on this list as they haven't put money into football and aren't in the top level anymore. Growing up they were my team to follow but they have been struggling for a while.

Just from a standpoint of not upsetting people across the country and give Indiana a team ND should be on the list, I would rather IU get good enough, but we aren't there yet.
They didn’t invest to Jimbo’s liking, but they are now. It’s why the notion that facilities wars are over is nonsense. The new loads of cash coming to schools ensures more and more facilities are on the way. Easy to tell who really follows the sport and IU here. Maybe a 1,000 people tailgating during the games and quite a few are posters here? Not sure what else explains it.

DUH!

yeah, i forgot about ND.

must be the brain fog.

good move to swap out FSU for them if you're not adding more schools..

They didn’t invest to Jimbo’s liking, but they are now. It’s why the notion that facilities wars are over is nonsense. The new loads of cash coming to schools ensures more and more facilities are on the way. Easy to tell who really follows the sport and IU here. Maybe a 1,000 people tailgating during the games and quite a few are posters here? Not sure what else explains it.

i'll agree to disagree.

i think the facilities wars are ending.

the war only started because you couldn't give recruits money instead of facilities.

now you can.

that money will now be spent on a new QB, pass rushers, and dual threat bballers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT