ADVERTISEMENT

Position primer: If Richard Lagow takes next step, so will IU

snowling

Hall of Famer
BLOOMINGTON – For the second time in three seasons, Indiana University has a senior starting quarterback returning from a bowl campaign the year before.

Yet, fans’ questions about Richard Lagow are understandable. Whether you consider Lagow's debut season a success depends largely on your perspective.

The 6-6 redshirt senior finished the season with the second-most passing yards in the Big Ten, tallying 3,362 in his first fall at the the FBS level. But he also threw 17 interceptions, including five in one game, giving way to an offseason in which Lagow has repeatedly brought up his focus on trimming turnovers.

• LAGOW: Winding career path takes IU QB to Manning Camp

• ALLEN: After hectic 5 months, IU coach 'comfortable' in hot seat

What, then, are reasonable expectations for Lagow in 2017? Can one of his younger position mates push him for playing time? A look at Indiana's quarterback situation:

Names to know
>> Richard Lagow, 6-6, 240, R-Senior.
>> Austin King, 6-2, 200, R-Sophomore.
>> Peyton Ramsey, 6-2, 205, R-Freshman.
>> Nick Tronti, 6-2, 215, Freshman.

It's still Lagow's job
Ramsey had a solid spring game, and King continues to improve behind the scenes. But anyone who thinks Lagow has been unseated simply because of some hot-and-cold performances last season is wide of the mark.

If anything, Lagow's hold on the job might be stronger now. Zander Diamont has graduated, ending the sometimes-rotation approach coach Kevin Wilson employed last season.

Tom Allen, Wilson's successor, spoke at length this spring about how much growth he's seen in his senior signal caller, not just as a player, but as a leader.

"I’ve seen a really, really huge change in him," Allen told IndyStar in April. "I even had players in my one-on-one meetings comment about his leadership and how impressed they’ve been. That, to me, is great to see. You need that from that position. It demands it."

The interceptions need to be trimmed, and Lagow needs to be more accurate than last season's 57.8 percent completion rate. But signs since the end of 2016 have largely been positive.

Can anyone push him?
Diamont's presence was a consistent source of competition last season for Lagow. Can Ramsey, King or Tronti provide that this fall?

Ramsey seems the most likely candidate. A heralded signing from Cincinnati Elder, he redshirted last season but excelled in IU's spring game, throwing for one touchdown and rushing for another.

He does not appear to have Lagow's arm strength, but Ramsey is probably more mobile, and mobility is something Allen and offensive coordinator Mike DeBord have said they want from the quarterback position.

Could Ramsey (or King or Tronti, for that matter) provide Lagow enough competition to, at the very least, sharpen him for a season in which offensive improvement will go a long way toward determining whether IU bowls for a third-straight year?

We'll find out next month.

Final word
Again, this is still Lagow's job, perhaps comfortably.

Yes, he had frustrating moments last season. But he also has the most complete set of tools as a passer in the quarterback room right now, and for his lows as a junior, there were also a number of highs. It's worth remembering that Lagow was the primary signal caller on what turned out to be just the third bowl team in Indiana's last two decades. And teammates have rallied behind him through the offseason as one of the Hoosiers' most recognized locker room voices.

• MORE: Breaking down Tom Allen's new IU contract

• INSIDER: The James Hardy I thought I knew

His offensive line will need some retooling with stalwarts like Dan Feeney and Dimitric Camiel gone. But his receiver corps remains strong, working with new position coach Grant Heard and leaning on veterans like Nick Westbrook and Simmie Cobbs.

Expect Ramsey and King both to give Lagow meaningful competition during fall camp. But the inside lane still belongs to the big Texan.

Follow IndyStar reporter Zach Osterman on Twitter: @ZachOsterman.

http://www.courierpress.com/story/s...ichard-lagow-takes-next-step-so-iu/458538001/

Go Hoosiers!

Reactions: ESalum86
BLOOMINGTON –
His offensive line will need some retooling with stalwarts like Dan Feeney and Dimitric Camiel gone

This gets mentioned a lot: Feeney and Camiel gone.

Well, they were both "gone" a great deal last year. Camiel had the back injury and never returned. Feeney was out during 4-5 games, almost half the season. I think the impact of that was absorbed last year and the guys who filled in should be better because of that experience.

I walked down to the NEZ a couple of times last year to watch the pass plays develop. RLs issues are quite evedent from that perspective. He locks in and doesn't check down...he did that consistently. I must assume the coaches see it better than I do, so logically they are working with him to improve.

This position is RLs, but I suspect he will be on a short leash and if the first two games don't go well, the coaches make the decision to go with the future. JMHO.

Reactions: IUPaterade724
He locks in and doesn't check down...he did that consistently.

Almost all college QBs have this problem. It was Sudfeld's number one problem.

Lagow's biggest problem is that one out of every 4 or so passes would just sail on him. Lagow's INT's were almost never due to him throwing to a covered receiver, he'd just overthrow the receiver and the ball would end up in the area of a DB without a mark.

Also, Lagow seemed to have touch issues on short screen passes, which caused the coaches to shy away them, meaning more dangerous throws downfield that he was prone to overthrowing.

These are pure mechanics issues with footwork and release point.

Reactions: IUPaterade724
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT