ADVERTISEMENT

Portal news - 2024...

Unfortunate, believe he would have been a solid contributor. I meant this comment wrt Sefcik.

WRT to Gaffney glad it is not Kentucky.

Looks like we picked up a right handed pitcher from USI named Gavin Seebold. Cerney is draft eligible but playing on cape with cotuit assume he’ll be back and I agree that Pyne would be most likely to come back after him
RHP Gavin Seebold appeared in 16 games for USI and started 10 games with a 7-2 record. His ERA this past season was 3.93 in 71.0 IP (most innings on the staff) and he had 58 Ks to 18 BBs and an OBA of .255.

He's from Jeffersonville, IN, and he was a transfer to USI from Eastern Kentucky. He redshirted in both the 2021 and 2022 seasons, so he had some injury problems early on with USI, but given the innings pitched this past season, he is past the injuries.

RHP Gavin Seebold appeared in 16 games for USI and started 10 games with a 7-2 record. His ERA this past season was 3.93 in 71.0 IP (most innings on the staff) and he had 58 Ks to 18 BBs and an OBA of .255.

He's from Jeffersonville, IN, and he was a transfer to USI from Eastern Kentucky. He redshirted in both the 2021 and 2022 seasons, so he had some injury problems early on with USI, but given the innings pitched this past season, he is past the injuries.

Looks like an improvement… really nice record at 7-2. 58K to 18 walks is better than 3 Ks to 1 walk.

Reactions: jseebold

Thanks all. This is Gavin’s dad. We are so excited to be a part of Hoosier baseball. Looking forward to the upcoming season. It’s going to be a fun one! Gavin will work hard and represent the university in a positive way. Can’t wait!

Thanks all. This is Gavin’s dad. We are so excited to be a part of Hoosier baseball. Looking forward to the upcoming season. It’s going to be a fun one! Gavin will work hard and represent the university in a positive way. Can’t wait!
Welcome. This is a strong program and like all baseball pitching is key to maintaining and hopefully strengthening that component. From one Red Devil to another let me say this is UNmonitored fan site and frequently comments can be overly negative.

Reactions: Seyton and 76-1
Welcome. This is a strong program and like all baseball pitching is key to maintaining and hopefully strengthening that component. From one Red Devil to another let me say this is UNmonitored fan site and frequently comments can be overly negative.
Understood. I’m familiar with how message boards work for all schools lol. It’s part of it and won’t take it personal. Gavin will be a great ambassador for IU and will always give his all. I’m sure there will be frustrating moments and things will get said in the heat of battle but it’s all part of it. Let’s just try to finish the season in Omaha and it will all be fine :).

Freshman LHP Ryan Rushing out of Bradenton FL and the IMG Academy, has entered the portal. He appeared in nine games for IU, all in relief, and had an ERA of 9.82 in 11.0 IP and a WHIP of 2.18 with an OBA of .262. He had 10 Ks to 13 BBs. Wish Ryan the best at his next school.

Today is the last day to enter the portal and be eligible to play next season. It may take a couple of days for names of players entering the portal at the last minute to show up.

Reactions: jseebold
Freshman LHP Ryan Rushing out of Bradenton FL and the IMG Academy, has entered the portal. He appeared in nine games for IU, all in relief, and had an ERA of 9.82 in 11.0 IP and a WHIP of 2.18 with an OBA of .262. He had 10 Ks to 13 BBs. Wish Ryan the best at his next school.

Today is the last day to enter the portal and be eligible to play next season. It may take a couple of days for names of players entering the portal at the last minute to show up.
I'm not going to jinx anything, but I'm glad the deadline is today and...well, I won't jinx it.

Reactions: Bucket Getter

Thanks for the update. Also, reminder that if someone’s coach leaves they get 30 days from that date instead of the July 2nd date. Shouldn’t effect anyone from IU entering the portal but could mean other players could still enter from other schools.

I saw 64analytics tweet saying he’s out of the portal today but didn’t say to where

I thought I saw where he pulled out and came back to IU. Not positive on that.
There's certainly the possibility of that and he wouldn't be the first player to do that at IU, although he still shows up in the portal. Coach Mercer was high on Rushing when he joined the team. So far, of the players that entered the portal, only Sefcik has declared a new destination by joining his brother at Cincinnati. Any player that wants to drop out of the portal and come back would have to do so with the blessing of the coach.

Looks like we picked up another lefty, Deron Swanson of university of st Francis (ft Wayne, NAIA).
Yep. And I haven’t seen it on social media but I am pretty sure USI reliever Clayton Weisheit has also committed to IU. He had a great freshman year mainly in relief. Side arm righty. He did start a mid week game vs Tennessee and shut them out for 5 innings.

Looks like we picked up another lefty, Deron Swanson of university of st Francis (ft Wayne, NAIA).
Yes, a physically mature (SR) 6-3 LHP with a 10-2 record 2.62 ERA and 10 HR given up in over 70 innings pitched in the 2024 season cannot but improve the staff overall. This fall’s exhibition season should be interesting to see how pitching stacks up. Competent LHPs are hard to find.

The portal is showing two new pitching pickups by IU.

RHP Jackson Yarberry was a freshman this past season at Saint Louis and is from Lake Saint Louis MO. As of right now, his X account doesn't indicate that he is transferring so far.

Yarberry had 19 game appearances and started four games for the Billikens, and he had a 6-3 record. He had an ERA of 6.33 in 42.2 IP and a WHIP of 1.88 with an OBA of .324. He had 33 Ks to 14 BBs.

Here are Yarberry's numbers from summer ball:

RHP Peter Haas is showing as an IU pickup out of Stonehill College which is a D-1 program that plays in the Northeast Conference (NEC). He's out of Hancock, NH and he was a redshirt soph this past season after sitting out the 2023 season due to injury. I couldn't find an X account on him.

Haas appeared in 12 games with 10 starts. He had an ERA this past season of 5.33 in 54.0 IP and a WHIP of 1.65 with an OBA of .290. He had 49 Ks and 22 BBs.

Last edited:
Maybe I’m ignorant, but how did the kid with his stats from this past season Get an invite to the Cape?
I really don't know all of the ins and outs of the process to get on a Cape roster or other summer league rosters, but a lot of it has to do with networking by college coaches. Maybe someone knows more about it.

I really don't know all of the ins and outs of the process to get on a Cape roster or other summer league rosters, but a lot of it has to do with networking by college coaches. Maybe someone knows more about it.
I've got friends that have coached/worked in different prospect leagues across the country. Yes, the teams & coaches rely heavily on the college coaches to "tee" them up with the right players. There's certainly more to it than that, but it's heavily relationship driven.

Iubase reporting that Ryan rushing still in portal it apparently has no contact instructions and expected to return… based on inside sources…. Not sure why not withdraw if that’s the case

Iubase reporting that Ryan rushing still in portal it apparently has no contact instructions and expected to return… based on inside sources…. Not sure why not withdraw if that’s the case
As of today and based on what I've seen, Sefcik remains the only IU player in the portal that has announced a new destination.

100% agree K&C, but I just saw Simmons is going to Duke. That is a massive problem long term for IU. Simmons was the man behind the massively successful recruiting machine. Very curious to see who and if they’ll get to fill the role.

100% agree K&C, but I just saw Simmons is going to Duke. That is a massive problem long term for IU. Simmons was the man behind the massively successful recruiting machine. Very curious to see who and if they’ll get to fill the role.
I'm concerned too, but we've not had much problem getting good talent under Mercer, even before Simmons, so I'm hopeful Simmons will be replaced with another high level recruiter.

Brandon Keyster is transferring to South Florida. He's the 2nd player after Sefcik to enter the portal and announce a new destination.

Understood. I’m familiar with how message boards work for all schools lol. It’s part of it and won’t take it personal. Gavin will be a great ambassador for IU and will always give his all. I’m sure there will be frustrating moments and things will get said in the heat of battle but it’s all part of it. Let’s just try to finish the season in Omaha and it will all be fine :).
Welcome aboard! And to be clear, some around sometimes question coaching, approach, and strategy. Not sure I’ve ever seen a disparaging word about an IU player. Anyone who puts on a Hoosier uniform and takes the field is worthy of respect. Glad your son is with us!

Maybe I’m ignorant, but how did the kid with his stats from this past season Get an invite to the Cape?
The more important point is we should be happy for Haas and IU that he found a spot to play this summer.

Being from nearby Hancock, New Hampshire, and playing in D1 in the (nearby) NEC, must have gotten Haas enough exposure.

Last edited:
Ethan Phillips out of Dunedin, FL, is heading back home and has committed to Stetson. He appeared in 17 games for IU while starting 9 games this past season and had an ERA of 6.16 in 30.2 IP.

57 walks in 70 innings in 2023….

Does seem to have made some strides this summer.
This past season he appeared in 9 games, all in relief, and pitched 18.1 innings with 28 Ks and 13 BBs and an OBA of .185. In the 2023 season, he appeared in 18 games with 15 starts with an ERA of 5.37 and an OBA of .189. In his bio, I couldn't find any info for why he went from a starter to coming out of the bullpen in relief for this season. I noticed that there was a one-month gap in appearances at the start of the season when he appeared in a game on 2/8 and then didn't make another appearance until 3/2. Numbers still looked good so maybe an injury at the start of the season?

OF Brayden Bakes transferred back to his home state and has enrolled at Illinois State. He was an injury redshirt for IU in his freshman year and sat out the entire season.

Added: I meant to mention that Brayden has a twin brother that played at South Carolina this past season. He saw limited action on the field for the Gamecocks in his freshman year.

Last edited:
Here's the destination for three more players.

RHP Julian Tonghini ended up at Arizona. He was a transfer from Boston College when he arrived at IU and he appeared in 19 games with two starts for IU. He had an ERA of 6.25 in 36.0 IP with a WHIP of 1.72. He had 47 Ks and 25 BBs.

RHP Evan Whiteaker is out of West Chester, Ohio, and he transferred to Xavier. He appeared in eight games for IU with no starts. He had an ERA of 12.27 in 11.0 IP with a WHIP of 2.18. He had 11 Ks and 2 BBs.

RHP Cooper Katskee is out of Greenwood Village, Colorado and he transferred to Miami (OH). He left the squad early in the season and only appeared in three games in relief.

Reactions: gonnerm
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT