ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: OK - Official predictions Poll- who will be in charge of the Senate on 11/5

I would hope that he continues

To act in the best interest of this country. Since he was told, as you yourself point out, that " patriots" have been hoping for him to fail since day one. Since he was told in no uncertain terms that Republicans weren't going to be working with him for his entire 8 year term, than yes. I feel it is his duty to do what he thinks best. . And I think it's obvious that he will continue to be judicious in his executive decisions.

As long as they are a liberal monarch. *

>>

I didn't call him a conservative, I called him a

Republican. My concern is that the next Republican will be more of the same.

No doubt.

Liberals' love of strong central government is more likely to lead to despotism than conservatism.

As I recall, Bush did what he thought was best too....

I don't recall you cheering for him.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

I would think you should modify your statement to say that as long as Obama does what you think is best then you're all for it.

Bush's second term was pretty good...

...even though his Social Security reform notion early on was destined to failure and got him off to a bad start.

The surge in Iraq along with replacing Rumsfeld with Gates were terrific moves.

Whether TARP and the stimulus prevented a worse recession will be argued among economists for decades. I sure don't see Hank Paulson as anything but a conservative businessman who did what had to be done to save the banking industry.

All in all, I saw Bush learn on the job and end his last term in office looking more like a guy in charge than during his first term when he relied on others (Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, and Perle for example) who gave him some bad advice.

So what is relevant?

Unlike Republicans' hyperbolic claims, the defenses are based on objective facts. Maybe those fact-based defenses aren't dispositive, but what about the fact-free claims? Perhaps you should bring your skepticism to bear on those.

Maybe you analyzed all the EOs.

If so, tell us about them. I haven't, as I said, and merely said numbers alone mean little.

That shouldn't be hard at all.

I want to stress that this is a very simple calculation that simply averages polls, but weights them based on date. Then, of course, I ran different sets of numbers for different breaks on the undecideds. One very interesting thing I found:

I tried using a wide variety of coefficients for weighting the days. Almost all of them had the same exact result (there was one particular run that had Alaska switch to the Dems, but that was a virtual tossup, anyway, and you know the problems with the Alaska polls). That tells me that, at least through October, the polls have been pretty consistent, and most of the trends we are seeing in the polls are either A) our imagination or B) not yet robust enough to change any outcomes.

Once I had the newer polls, I'll copy to another spreadsheet, and do a separate run starting only with Oct. 20.

Thanks for the kind words.

EDIT: I haven't added any new polls, but I did run the same math starting on Oct. 20. the results are exactly the same for every state in terms of result, although the numbers shift here and there a bit. If the undecideds break Dem, they can hold the Senate at 50-50, but only if Orman causcuses with them AND they win the Georgia runoff.

An example of one of the shifts. By starting at Oct. 20th, Perdue's best case scenario goes from 49.68% to 49.97%. But, even if he tops 50%, at that point, the GOP has probably won enough other states to make it moot. On the other hand, the odds that Cassidy tops 50% actually goes down.

NB: I've recently noticed that my Louisiana data is entirely populated with head-to-head poll results. I'll need to input the three-way numbers and see how that changes things. I still think that ends up a safe GOP seat in the long run.

goat

This post was edited on 11/2 2:33 AM by TheOriginalHappyGoat

No, I haven't

But instead of quibbling with the fact-based defenses, you might more sensibly challenge the fact-free claims that provoked them. That's what a disinterested person who was legitimately concerned about evidence would do.

What are you talking about?

What fact-free claim are you talking about? I think it's a fact that the number of EOs alone is not very significant standing alone.

This post was edited on 11/2 6:41 AM by NPT

Thanks, The Louisiana three way is

probably irrelevant since no one will each 50 in the open primary, but Cassidy will win soundly once its a two way in early December.

Not to have you include this data, but have a look at the anchor holding the Dems back. This is from CBS/YouGov.

https://today.yougov.com/news/2014/10/09/obama-gets-low-marks-key-states/

Shows Obama's approval upside down in 43 states. Most of the competitive Senate races are in those 43. He's killing the Dems in those states. Its nearly impossible to move numbers with that much negative view of their side.

This post was edited on 11/2 8:01 AM by Ladoga

Latest NBC poll just out today.....

McConnell 50 - Grimes 41.

That race is over.

McConnell Counter-Punched Very Well

Generally, every Grimes ad here is followed by an ad quoting press saying "Grimes' ads are inaccurate."

When Grimes had an ad claiming he was absent from his Ag Committee meetings, he immediately aired 2. One showed a photo - in quick succession - of the Kentucky Secretary of State parking spot empty day-after-day, saying "she complains about Mitch while she fails to show up for her own job," and touting Mitch's 99% attendance rate everywhere else. The other was Mitch saying "she doesn't understand that as Senate leader, I'll appoint the leader of the Ag Committee - Grimes is too inexperience and unknowledgable to elect."

His best was following her ads about how he voted against the minimum wage with one about how her family pays $2.13 plus tips at their family restaurant, "Hugh Jass Burgers." "Grimes is a hypocrite." (When she was asked about that by press, she said, "My family is not on the ballot." A repeat of what she said when asked if she voted for Obama - "The President is not on the ballot."

Same paper endorsed her. They have never endorsed a Republican for Senator.

Day 1 after the primary he challenged her to a series of 4 Lincoln-Douglass debates - with the candidates, not the press, asking questions and a moderator keeping only time.

She refused and has been on the defensive ever since, with ever offensive ad getting blown back at her.

And it will still be close because party line is party line.

Well if an elibible

voter wants to vote they can. It just takes a little (very little) effort. If they aren't willing to put forth that effort then they shouldn't be allowed to vote.

Uh huh.

Are you trying on purpose to miss the point?

It's not about how easy it is.

It's not about whether it's right.

My only argument is this:

In the real world, voter ID laws cause a certain (small) number of people to not vote.
Those people are probably Democrats.
Therefore, Repubs love voter ID laws and Dems hate them.
This connection is obvious and explains why the parties hold the positions they do.

This cannot possibly be that difficult. Quit trying to argue with me on things I am not saying. I'm only talking about the real life effects and whether or not our party leaders are smart enough to understand them.

Very interesting

What amazes me is how politicians will vote for everything the president wants (in this case Obama, Bush before) and then try to distance themselves from the president when the president is no longer popular. I wonder how many Americans are fooled by that. I don't care what they say I know if they are re-elected they are going to go along with everything the president wants.

I'll try again

Fact-free claim: Barack Obama has made extraordinary use of executive orders.

Factually correct response: Barack Obama has issued relatively few executive orders.

As I said, the response isn't dispositive, but unlike the hyperbolic claim, it's factual. Unfortunately, you guys are only selectively concerned about facts, so you accept the fact-free claim while quibbling about the fact-based response. You choose whatever burden of proof suits your predispositions.

The DesMoine Register has Ernst at 51% now........

and the person writing the story for the paper declared that race basically over as well. Cassidy is at 50% in Louisiana (according to NBC) and Perdue is up by 4 over Nunn (That may go to a run off but Perdue will win anyway if it does).

All the polls look like they've moved towards Republicans in the last few days.

Chris Matthews today on MSNBC said he'd add 3% to the Republicans in each race because of the huge edge they have in enthusiasm.

Come on...I usually like your posts since they are informative

If I agree or not...the point was the number of EO isn't indicative of the effects. You seem to be arguing that every EO has the same effect as others. Now if you think all EO are created equal then you have a point, but I can't believe you believe that. From my perspective it has nothing to do with Obama.

Okay, so here's the thing...

...I've said this twice, because I can't stress enough that I am not trying to be the Nate Silver of the WC. I'm just taking the time to type in some numbers and run a simple weighted average for the interest of folks (like you and me) who are nerds for this kind of thing. But...

Even if I did start getting really complicated with this, I wouldn't include a poll like that, because I assume it's already accounted for. That is to say, I am 100% sure that Obama's popularity is a big party of the Dems' problems right now, but I also assume that it's already part of the polls that are currently being taken, and to try to inject it again would overestimate its power.

goat

I never said and neither

did Aloha say he hadn't issued relatively few EOs. Are you saying that the number of EOs are the only measurement that is needed to measure what influence EOs have on the country? If so, I'll always disagree with that no matter who is president. To me that is like saying there are two baseball players and each has two hundred hits but one of them has all home runs and the other one has all singles and you're acting as though both had the same influence on games.

This post was edited on 11/3 7:12 AM by NPT

Well that is easy

for me to decide that. It gives me more confidence that the election is fair. Before the voter ID laws in IN I could have easily voted twice. I would hear people at work say they weren't going to vote so I could have easily went to their precinct and told them I was Joe Blow (person that wasn't going to vote) and voted for them. How would anyone ever know that I voted for him also since there is no followup to see if the vote is valid.

This post was edited on 11/3 6:47 AM by NPT

IF Matthews is right

about adding 3% to every Republican then its a wave that will bring a net 10 seats to Rs. I'll believe THAT when I see it. But, I hope he's right. There seems to be a wave, but 3% additional is a route. It would put the House at something around 245 seats and add governorships not expected.

It impacts

turnout and enthusiasm. Those effect the reliability of the Likely Voter screen responses. Its one thing to say when asked on the phone that you'll vote - using the pollster's language and determinations of responses - but another when its apparently hopeless and you decide to actually go vote or not.

Wrong.

No one in this thread made the claim that Obama has made extraordinary use of Executive Orders. The issue is that he might use EOs to extraordinary purposes. The factually correct counter-claim that Obama has issued relatively few EOs is irrelevant. What matters is the substance of the EOs. Whether the substance of Obama's EOs are extraordinary in comparison to those of other recent Presidents is not known because no one is doing an analysis of that. At least as far as I know.

If anyone makes the claim that Obama is issuing more EOs than other Presidents he/she would be wrong and I'd not defend the claim.

Here is another factoid for you

You consistently cite more useless, trivial, irrelevant and so-called objctive facts to support an agrument than anybody on the board. The number of EO's has zero, zip, nada, to do with the impacts of EO's. It is all about the substance of the orders.

The granddaddy of all EO's is FDR's #9066. That is one, single order. Thousands of other orders will never match the consequences, fall out, and impact of that order.

Take your "factually correctness" back to your hole. Nobody needs your arrogant lecture about fact-free claims.

I think Matthews is overstating things...

...but I added this weekends polls to my spreadsheet (BTW, I forgot to tell you I'm only using "Likely Voter" polls - I figured you'd appreciate that
3dgrin.r191677.gif
), and there was a slight shift to the GOP over the weekend. Perdue is VERY close to hitting 50%.

My averages still have the GOP at 50-48, plus the two runoffs they are almost certain to win, but all three of those Dem wins are VERY iffy. NH is the only "safe" one, and even that is just barely. I'm worried about what the last batch of polls will show. Dems need to really pull something out of the hat if they want a chance.

goat

short of 4 or 5 Republican candidates being caught this weekend at....

a Halloween-themed, Eyes Wide Shut-type party with Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid, it is hard to imagine even the Republicans blowing this one.

And what gives me a little bit of optimism in all of this is that one of the big reasons the Republicans will come out with their majority next week is that they did a better job at pushing forward less divisive people rather than loons.
Ahhhh, the good ole days

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT