ADVERTISEMENT

Polite Golf Applause

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
Now to make an example of Colonial!

That congressional testimony sideshow was ridiculous.

I think we’ve exhausted the transgender discussion. Give it a rest already.
My apologies, but my comment was not in any way intended to demean or otherwise make fun of anyone in the LGBTQ community. That is not something I would ever do, but I do see how it could have been construed in that manner.

My apologies, but my comment was not in any way intended to demean or otherwise make fun of anyone in the LGBTQ community. That is not something I would ever do, but I do see how it could have been construed in that manner.
Let’s hope you don’t get canceled.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
OH snap. Totally sarcastic man.

I figured I'd be the one cancelled.

• Haha
Reactions: Noodle
I wondered the same thing. If the feds can do that then it means that some hacker can do it to anyone.
Somebody smarter than me will come along and explain it better than I can, but transactions involve a temp public key component and it takes 10-15 minutes for a transaction to be complete (longer if there's network latency due to traffic). During that time the wallet is vulnerable, since the public key is known, if you also know the private key. Somehow, the .gov knew the private key and the public key.

How? Supposedly there isn't a quantam computer capable of breaking the key within that timeframe, so how was it done? What don't we understand? Who understands it?

Scary stuff to think about for any banking system, nevermind your bitcoin wallet.

Somebody smarter than me will come along and explain it better than I can, but transactions involve a temp public key component and it takes 10-15 minutes for a transaction to be complete (longer if there's network latency due to traffic). During that time the wallet is vulnerable, since the public key is known, if you also know the private key. Somehow, the .gov knew the private key and the public key.

How? Supposedly there isn't a quantam computer capable of breaking the key within that timeframe, so how was it done? What don't we understand? Who understands it?

Scary stuff to think about for any banking system, nevermind your bitcoin wallet.
Did the hackers give the pipeline the key to decrypt the files after they paid the ransom? I wouldn't have thought they would have given the key until they had the money in hand.

Did the hackers give the pipeline the key to decrypt the files after they paid the ransom? I wouldn't have thought they would have given the key until they had the money in hand.
My understanding is that the money the .gov took was money that had been transferred from the main wallet to another wallet. That's why it wasn't the full amount. I don't know if that's the actual case though.

My understanding is that the money the .gov took was money that had been transferred from the main wallet to another wallet. That's why it wasn't the full amount. I don't know if that's the actual case though.
I need to read more because I have no idea how all of that works.
I see China is/was shutting down bitcoin mining .... whatever that is. :)

Reactions: hookyIU1990

I suspect these guys could fill in some of the blanks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT