ADVERTISEMENT

Pitching

Charlesroast

Freshman
Aug 4, 2013
Pitching is critical at every level of baseball. CWS has shown D1 is no exception. We were spotty last year.
Not as spotty as our official baseball website, but that is another post.

Poking around on the internet I have pulled together a list of possible pitchers for next year. Probably missed some and the list surely includes several who will not be here in September let alone February of '18. Hoping for some "cold stove league" discussion.

perfectgame.org lists the following pitchers for the incoming class. All are Indiana kids. Though none were drafted there appears to be potential in the group. I do not believe the official IU site listed LOI signings last fall but these 5 pitchers are already enrolled.

Edit to update the pitching crop are enrolled now!

Litwicki 6’1” righty
Sommer 6’4” lefty
Long 6’3” righty
Eaton 6’3” lefty
Miller 6’5” righty

In addition to these 5 there are at least 2 others who sat out last season after transferring in from good baseball schools:

Grant Sloan (Virginia) 2 appearances with Terre Haute in Prospect League but not currently on roster.
Connor Manous (The U) pitching respectably on a losing Kalamazoo team in Northwoods League.

Potential returners who finished the '17 season on the roster are listed below. With the exception of Sabol & Hobbie, who were not listed on the IU site, and Lloyd currently not pitching, these guy's performance can be followed from the IU website links. Early but nothing exceptional so far IMO.

Kryzsko Sr
Herrin Jr
Sabol Sr
Krueger So
Lloyd Sr*
Milto Jr
Littleton So
Saalfrank So
Petrosino RsF
Stiever Jr
Hobbie Sr
Beauchamp So

That totals 19 pitchers and IMO it is highly unlikely IU will carry 19 pitchers. * Despite the fact Lloyd was the closest to a closer we had last year I hope he can focus on day to day play.

In addition there were other kids involved with IU at some point last year who could perhaps reappear.

Evans very unlikely I suppose, but doing well for Wisc. Rapids in N'woods league

Sedat haven't found him this year

Veinbergs was on '16 roster as catcher now pitching with Rockford in N'woods

Reed was on '17 roster but no game action now with Amsterdam Mohawks in Perfectgame League

Parker Sanburn -- this guy is putting up monster numbers with Lakeshore in the Northwoods League, >30 K’s & just 1 earned run in 16 innings of relief. Has bounced around but Indiana kid at least linked to IU last summer before ending up at a JC in Iowa. Probably has a season to make his case for mlb draft.

Short version: lot of competition for spots next year should lead to better pitching over next couple of seasons.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT