ADVERTISEMENT

Phinisee

He’ll never make it far enough in the pros to find out if he can get away with it. I don’t blame Miller for using him the way he does. What choice does he have given his (Miller’s) recruiting failures? But TJD will struggle in the developmental league with his current offensive skill set. Amazing that someone, somewhere didn’t convince him to develop that part of his game, or that he didn’t have the foresight to do so on his own. It’s a glaring weakness.
It really is. He is an undersized center. I guess if he could maximize his rebounding, defense and add strength he could be a Tristan Thompson type player in the NBA.

It really is. He is an undersized center. I guess if he could maximize his rebounding, defense and add strength he could be a Tristan Thompson type player in the NBA.
Maybe, but I’m not sure he has (or ever will have) the athletic ability of TT, nor do I think he’s as skilled (on either end). Great kid, but he’s an undersized college center whose offensive range is no greater than 8 feet from the bucket. Even Ray Lee could hit the 10-12 foot face up jumper, and he (Tolbert) was a superior defender. And a BT MVP. And I don’t think he made it to the end of his second season in the NBA.

Maybe, but I’m not sure he has (or ever will have) the athletic ability of TT, nor do I think he’s as skilled (on either end). Great kid, but he’s an undersized college center whose offensive range is no greater than 8 feet from the bucket. Even Ray Lee could hit the 10-12 foot face up jumper, and he (Tolbert) was a superior defender. And a BT MVP. And I don’t think he made it to the end of his second season in the NBA.

I agree with you. He has an uphill battle right now to develop his game. Tall task for sure.

He was also a legit 6'9" and that was 30 years ago when the average player was 1-2" shorter. I like TJD and someone will take a chance on him, but he's got a lot of development to work on.

He was also a legit 6'9" and that was 30 years ago when the average player was 1-2" shorter. I like TJD and someone will take a chance on him, but he's got a lot of development to work on.
So, the taller (in a land of fewer giants), more skilled guy couldn’t make it 40 years ago, but the shorter (in the land of many more giants), less skilled guy has a chance today? Technically, I guess everyone does. But I think TJDs odds are much longer than Tolbert’s, and RT was in and out within two seasons.

TJD can only be pissed at himself for not developing his game to be a 4. He is a center who cannot shoot or facilitate from outside. Even if we had three 7 footers, with one of them in the game and TJD, we have two centers playing. The opponent should still put the big man on TJD because that will slow down our best offensive option until TJD learns to expand his game.
You're talking offense, and I agree, but I'm talking about taking a beating in the post from Kofi. He needs to develop that part of his game too and it doesn't matter if he can shoot to 23' if he has to guard the other teams 5. That's on Archie.

You're talking offense, and I agree, but I'm talking about taking a beating in the post from Kofi. He needs to develop that part of his game too and it doesn't matter if he can shoot to 23' if he has to guard the other teams 5. That's on Archie.
I see what you are saying but offense plays a roll in that. Because Davis is a 5 offensively you can’t really put another true 5 on the floor for defensive purposes. Otherwise that keeps people like Race and Galloway off the court because you can’t have that little outside shooting. And they are a couple of our better all around players. The bottom line is if Davis doesn’t want to or can’t guard 5’s effectively then he has to be able to play a 4 with more range and better passing on offense.

Watching him try to shoot anything resembling a face up jumper is painful. He’s a tall, athletic kid who never learned that part of the game, and he’s hamstrung by his obvious and profound limitations now that he’s forced to grow as a player. His future is overseas unless he transforms his skill set, particularly offensively, dramatically.

Sadly, I found myself chuckling when they showed the replay of his shot that hit the baseline.

I see what you are saying but offense plays a roll in that. Because Davis is a 5 offensively you can’t really put another true 5 on the floor for defensive purposes. Otherwise that keeps people like Race and Galloway off the court because you can’t have that little outside shooting. And they are a couple of our better all around players. The bottom line is if Davis doesn’t want to or can’t guard 5’s effectively then he has to be able to play a 4 with more range and better passing on offense.
You can't? Then WTF is everyone so worried about Brunk returning and why did he start next to TJD most of last year? If as a coach you see the value in helping your guys develop NBA skills (you know, like Calipari and K do it?), then you have to have a 5 next to TJD... at least part of the time, which is exactly the role Brunk has, and would fill this year. Hard to say he needs to develop his perimeter skills and then not have the roster to allow it.

So far in this Iowa game, Phin has killed us! Iowa hits a wide open 3 with Phin not attempting to contest shot, then Phin drives and misses an easy layup at the other end, Iowa then gets another wide open 3 on the fast break! Get him TF out!

Reactions: ericrossiu
You can't? Then WTF is everyone so worried about Brunk returning and why did he start next to TJD most of last year? If as a coach you see the value in helping your guys develop NBA skills (you know, like Calipari and K do it?), then you have to have a 5 next to TJD... at least part of the time, which is exactly the role Brunk has, and would fill this year. Hard to say he needs to develop his perimeter skills and then not have the roster to allow it.
Brunk is probably done at IU. Back surgery gets rid of the immediate pain, but you'll still be left with problems that say, might make training or playing D1 ball pretty challenging or unwise unless you want another surgery later

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT