ADVERTISEMENT

Phinisee

Dipstick. Sorry, I’ll be polite - you said something a dipstick would say. I’m sure you didn’t mean to be a dipstick.

Don’t be sorry.....Robert Phinisee should voluntarily quit or someone like his coach should advise him to attend a different university to play basketball

I’m only sorry about you being a dipstick. It’s embarrassing to me as an IU fan.

So you are cutting him because of one poor game. Great fan, and I know that you are not a manager.
Harsh statement, but he should not be starting and these minutes need to be going to Lander. I have finally arrived where @Cavanagh.13 has been for some time. Zero pts. Zero free throw attempts for the 5th league game out of ten. Consider this....our two guards of Rob Phinisee and Al Durham did not score a fg the last 41:23 of the game including OT. Al’s second three at the 16:23 mark in 1H was the last fg attempt that either of them would make for the remaining 41:23 of the game. This team has a lot of issues. Chief among them is our guards. Lander / Leal / Galloway will need to show big strides to make a difference for this program going forward. Perhaps Stewart will bring us something. But we have seen enough of RP and AD to see what we will get from them. It’s just disappointing, especially with RP, as he has so much more to contribute. I think AD gives us all he can which unfortunately isn’t enough to will our our team to a win in this league. Sad sad sad!

Last edited:
I’d seriously tell him, “Rob, if you’re not interested in playing basketball, just give it up man. Stop forcing yourself to play a game that you obviously don’t love.”

• Sad
Reactions: Wiedersehen
So you are cutting him because of one poor game. Great fan, and I know that you are not a manager.
I'll jump in and say cutting the kid is hardly fair, but at the same time, this is hardly his first poor game. Not sure what happened since his concussion, but Rob went from rising star as a frosh to a shell of his former self.

Harsh statement, but he should not be starting and these minutes need to be going to Lander. I have finally arrived where @Cavanagh.13 has been for some time. Zero pts. Zero free throw attempts for the 5th league game out of ten. Consider this....our two guards of Rob Phinisee and Al Durham did not score a fg the last 41:23 of the game including OT. Al’s second three at the 16:23 mark in 1H was the last either of them would make a fg for the ear of the game. This team has a lot of issues. Chief among them is our guards. Lander / Leal / Galloway will need to show big strides to make a difference for this program going forward. Perhaps Stewart will bring us something. But we have seen enough of RP and AD to see what we will get from them. It’s just disappointing, especially with RP, as he has so much more to contribute. I think AD gives us all he can which unfortunately isn’t enough to will our our team to a win in this league. Sad sad sad!
I think thats the consensus after last night and this team desparately needs something to shake them up. Send a message and sit Rob and Al and start freshmen.

I think thats the consensus after last night and this team desparately needs something to shake them up. Send a message and sit Rob and Al and start freshmen.
Agree, if we are going to lose most of the remaining games, play the freshman.

Reactions: BCCHoosier
Stop forcing yourself to play a game that you obviously don’t love.”

Kid looked like he was ready to cry after that fifth foul while walking to his seat.
That, to me, doesn't define someone who has lost their love of the game.

McHoop

Kid looked like he was ready to cry after that fifth foul while walking to his seat.

McHoop

what the hell were you watching. You barely got a towel flip out of him. No words, just a kid that looked like class just got out and he went to go sit on the bus.

0 emotion, ever!!

Reactions: mathboy
If we’re going to dismiss players for repeated poor play, we’ll have to forfeit all of our remaining games.

Reactions: mk23

McHoop

If he loved the game so much he’d play a lot harder and work a lot harder to improve.

If you had told me at 8pm last night that Dosunmu would have one of his lesser games, that TJD would outplay Kofi (at least, statistically), that we would have 4 starters in double digits, that we would hold them under 40% from the field while shooting 30-some free throws ourselves, and we'd hit 50% from three, and Dosunmu would foul out...I would have said there's no way we lose this game. And yet.

Rob should've never gotten out of bed yesterday.

And Hunter let the team down,...whatever the hell is going on there.

Our margin for error is razor thin. We had a lane violation on a Kofi free throw (I think Geronimo who jumped when Kofi double clutched his shot). Kofi missed, but gets a do-over...and makes. Didn't seem like a big deal at the time- that one extra point we 'gave' them. But an hour later....that one point looks like a huge deal--like I said...margin for error is razor thin with this team in this league.

I said a few weeks back, we're gonna be very lucky to even 'qualify' for the NIT this year. And no one would have considered that a step forward last summer.

3 points in a 5 minute overtime won't win many games.

If you had told me at 8pm last night that Dosunmu would have one of his lesser games, that TJD would outplay Kofi (at least, statistically), that we would have 4 starters in double digits, that we would hold them under 40% from the field while shooting 30-some free throws ourselves, and we'd hit 50% from three, and Dosunmu would foul out...I would have said there's no way we lose this game. And yet.

Rob should've never gotten out of bed yesterday.

And Hunter let the team down,...whatever the hell is going on there.

Our margin for error is razor thin. We had a lane violation on a Kofi free throw (I think Geronimo who jumped when Kofi double clutched his shot). Kofi missed, but gets a do-over...and makes. Didn't seem like a big deal at the time- that one extra point we 'gave' them. But an hour later....that one point looks like a huge deal--like I said...margin for error is razor thin with this team in this league.

I said a few weeks back, we're gonna be very lucky to even 'qualify' for the NIT this year. And no one would have considered that a step forward last summer.

3 points in a 5 minute overtime won't win many games.
1) TJD in no way outplayed Kofi... he controlled the game down low and was the difference. Controlled it. I don't know why guys are so afraid of him, but these are college athletes, Franklin, Galloway, et al... when you find yourself down there, flippin' shot fake and try and get him off his feet, or create contact. I get that he's huge, but if you put him on the bench, what a totally different game. Make the ref make a call. So many basic strategy things our guys don't do, it amazes me (ie. you're in the double bonus and they're in big foul trouble and amping up their D: Shot fake from 3 (look for contact) and then drive for a pullup or dump down low if their guy steps up). We have no one doing even that and that should be bread and butter for our guards and wings. Instead we play in to the teeth of their D by passing it around the perimeter. I know it's a different caliber of athlete, but I swear I could've done those basic things last night when I could still play, and definitely knew enough to be looking to do it.

2) If you didn't know that lane violation was going to be big, you've not been watching this team.

Last edited:
Reactions: aajohn2000
1) TJD in no way outplayed Kofi... he controlled the game down low and was the difference. Controlled it. I don't know why guys are so afraid of him, but these are college athletes, Franklin, Galloway, et al... when you find yourself down there, flippin' shot fake and try and get him off his feet, or create contact. I get that he's huge, but if you put him on the bench, what a totally different game. Make the ref make a call. So many basic strategy things our guys don't do, it amazes me (ie. you're in the double bonus and they're in big foul trouble and amping up their D: Shot fake from 3 (look for contact) and then drive for a pullup or dump down low if their guy steps up). We have no one doing even that and that should be bread and butter for our guards and wings. Instead we play in to the teeth of their D by passing it around the perimeter. I know it's a different caliber of athlete, but I swear I could've done those basic things last night when I could still play.

2) If you didn't know that lane violation was going to be big, you've not been watching this team.
TJD's 'numbers' were better but Kofi is in our players' head when they drive inside. Apparently we don't utilize shot fakes. I don't know how a team at this level goes through a 5 minute OT period in the double bonus and doesn't somehow manufacture some cheap points at the line. I really can't say what we were trying to do offensively in OT, other than a lot of passes well beyond the 3 point time, watching the shot clock tick down. Not going to draw a lot of fouls doing that for 25 seconds.

TJD's 'numbers' were better but Kofi is in our players' head when they drive inside. Apparently we don't utilize shot fakes. I don't know how a team at this level goes through a 5 minute OT period in the double bonus and doesn't somehow manufacture some cheap points at the line. I really can't say what we were trying to do offensively in OT, other than a lot of passes well beyond the 3 point time, watching the shot clock tick down. Not going to draw a lot of fouls doing that for 25 seconds.
Don't forget the consecutive offensive charges called on Galloway.

yes, he seemed out of sync last night, probably rust. Made a couple forced passes he shouldn't have thrown. I wish we could get some more scoring out of him. His shot is a mess and I think teams know he's not very willing to shoot from outside.

He had trouble moving...particularly laterally. He is not 100%.

fools gold. When you're tossing up shots over a bigger opponent hoping they go in, it doesn't matter how many pts you score, it's all about shooting percentage, and they'll happily trade a make now and then for 3-4 misses, tie-ups, turnovers, etc... As much as I love TJD, and absolutely I do not mind seeing him take those 16-18' jumpers over Kofi, those wasted shot attempts were as detrimental as the missed FTs and not guarding Frazier from 3.

fools gold. When you're tossing up shots over a bigger opponent hoping they go in, it doesn't matter how many pts you score, it's all about shooting percentage, and they'll happily trade a make now and then for 3-4 misses, tie-ups, turnovers, etc... As much as I love TJD, and absolutely I do not mind seeing him take those 16-18' jumpers over Kofi, those wasted shot attempts were as detrimental as the missed FTs and not guarding Frazier from 3.
TJD has had his issues playing against big strong post players. Was glad to see him finally take, and make, a 16 footer yesterday...but then he follows it up several minutes later with an airball. Dakich was getting on him in the first half for dogging back down the court a few times.

TJD has had his issues playing against big strong post players. Was glad to see him finally take, and make, a 16 footer yesterday...but then he follows it up several minutes later with an airball. Dakich was getting on him in the first half for dogging back down the court a few times.
Dakich usually has a narrative he likes to follow and dogging on TJD for that, is part of it, although it certainly is warranted at times and no excuse to get beaten down the floor by Kofi, although he's not as bad an athlete as his size suggests.

If I was TJD, I'd be pissed at my coach for asking me to guard guys of this size over and over. I know, I know... Brunk... BS. I've pointed out time and again that most P5 schools have 4+ guys on their roster 6'9" or bigger. We should've had one in last class or on the roster. It's how Archie wants to build his roster, but this isn't Dayton. It sucks for TJD to have to continually guard the other teams 5. If you're truly trying to help a kid get to the NBA, he should be guarding 4s at least a good bit of the time.

I’d seriously tell him, “Rob, if you’re not interested in playing basketball, just give it up man. Stop forcing yourself to play a game that you obviously don’t love.”

I think this is the conversation Archie should have had with him by now. And also his parents.

He looks as if he's just playing because that's what he's always done. For whatever reason he's not willing or able to stick his nose in into the action. He's like a spectator on the court.

IF he wants to continue playing the game he should do it elsewhere, for his sake. Meanwhile, CAM should bench him. Enough is enough.

Reactions: ericrossiu
This X1000! I have never understood the way TJD chooses to attack bigger men. As the smaller, quicker player you post up further from the basket (10-12 feet) where you can either open up the middle for teammates, use your quickness to get around them when you get the ball, or face up and beat them off the dribble drive, pass, or shot. You are taught that from a very young age everywhere. Yet he stubbornly tries to get deep post position and shoot over them and then yell to get him the ball when he makes 1 of 4 shots from the post. He actually did better in the second half but that should always be the strategy when going against bigger and stronger opponents.

Dakich usually has a narrative he likes to follow and dogging on TJD for that, is part of it, although it certainly is warranted at times and no excuse to get beaten down the floor by Kofi, although he's not as bad an athlete as his size suggests.

If I was TJD, I'd be pissed at my coach for asking me to guard guys of this size over and over. I know, I know... Brunk... BS. I've pointed out time and again that most P5 schools have 4+ guys on their roster 6'9" or bigger. We should've had one in last class or on the roster. It's how Archie wants to build his roster, but this isn't Dayton. It sucks for TJD to have to continually guard the other teams 5. If you're truly trying to help a kid get to the NBA, he should be guarding 4s at least a good bit of the time.
TJD can only be pissed at himself for not developing his game to be a 4. He is a center who cannot shoot or facilitate from outside. Even if we had three 7 footers, with one of them in the game and TJD, we have two centers playing. The opponent should still put the big man on TJD because that will slow down our best offensive option until TJD learns to expand his game.

TJD can only be pissed at himself for not developing his game to be a 4. He is a center who cannot shoot or facilitate from outside. Even if we had three 7 footers, with one of them in the game and TJD, we have two centers playing. The opponent should still put the big man on TJD because that will slow down our best offensive option until TJD learns to expand his game.
Watching him try to shoot anything resembling a face up jumper is painful. He’s a tall, athletic kid who never learned that part of the game, and he’s hamstrung by his obvious and profound limitations now that he’s forced to grow as a player. His future is overseas unless he transforms his skill set, particularly offensively, dramatically.

Reactions: Beorik
Watching him try to shoot anything resembling a face up jumper is painful. He’s a tall, athletic kid who never learned that part of the game, and he’s hamstrung by his obvious and profound limitations now that he’s forced to grow as a player. His future is overseas unless he transforms his skill set, particularly offensively, dramatically.

Agreed right now. He still has time but needs to be working hard at it. The problem is he can get away with it 75% of the time in college. In the pros I don’t think he can.

Agreed right now. He still has time but needs to be working hard at it. The problem is he can get away with it 75% of the time in college. In the pros I don’t think he can.
He’ll never make it far enough in the pros to find out if he can get away with it. I don’t blame Miller for using him the way he does. What choice does he have given his (Miller’s) recruiting failures? But TJD will struggle in the developmental league with his current offensive skill set. Amazing that someone, somewhere didn’t convince him to develop that part of his game, or that he didn’t have the foresight to do so on his own. It’s a glaring weakness.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT