ADVERTISEMENT

PFF projects 7 W's

76-1

Hall of Famer
Mar 22, 2017
Indiana

That's a little more promising...

Here's hoping they are wrong about our OL and that I'm wrong about our LB's... If we get unexpected excellence from those two areas we might have an outside shot at something special...

Most prognosticators act as if this was IU's last team heading into the season. They ignore our new coaches, many new players, and the easier schedule. It is clear they focus on the top teams and ignore what is happening with the other teams.

It’s nice to get a favorable prediction, but it’s just another random opinion. Imo the only predictions that carry much weight are the sports books since people are putting money where their mouth is. Up to Cig to hit the over on 5.5 -- fingers crossed they do, that would be fun.

A lot of people are going to be conservative on IU until we prove we can win. We haven't yet earned the benefit of the doubt and its a lot easier for them to say IU only wins 3 and then be pleasantly surprised when we win more. Also, I've watched a few of these YouTube team reviews from other outsiders and its clear they haven't watched or done little research on the changes. They are just going with past history.

Most prognosticators act as if this was IU's last team heading into the season. They ignore our new coaches, many new players, and the easier schedule. It is clear they focus on the top teams and ignore what is happening with the other teams.
I've seen this from the Purdue side as well. “Lost best two players on a team that went 4-8” which… I wouldn't agree they lost their best two players and came out net positive. My biggest concern for iu this year is all new systems and a lot of new faces. Can make for a rough start sometimes. Will be interesting to see if Curt can do a rebuild there.

I’m still of the opinion that the team will not be as good as last season but that the record will be better because of the schedule more than anything.

IMO, Illinois, PSU, MSU, & PU should have definitely been wins. Louisville would have been a nice win to have.

I think if Sorsby had started from the jump then we would have had a couple more at least.

I’m still of the opinion that the team will not be as good as last season but that the record will be better because of the schedule more than anything.

IMO, Illinois, PSU, MSU, & PU should have definitely been wins. Louisville would have been a nice win to have.

I think if Sorsby had started from the jump then we would have had a couple more at least.
Someone once said that you’re as good as your record says you are.

I think IU is better than last year, personnel wise, with better coaching all around. A combination of those two things means a better season this year. Knowing how to attack defenses to get receivers and RBs in the open to take advantage of their skills.

Last edited:
From one point of view I understand this. There is a long history with us towards the bottom and UMich, OSU, etc towards the top.
At first take they see a coach from a lesser conference and players from that old team (unproven in the big ten).
It seems up to the coaches and the players to get 5, 6, or 7 wins and establish us as a program on the rise.

I think IU is better than last year, personnel wise, with better coaching all around. A combination of those two things means a better season this year. Knowing how to attack defenses to get receivers and RBs in the open to take advantage of their skills.
I was awfully keyed up when Wilson came over and then the Hoosiers laid a turd against Ball State - 2 years in a row,

I tend to agree with your statement. When I look at the roster, I think we have improved in a lot of area's but the one intangible that we may have improved in is attitude. I think we upgraded considerably with the coaches, especially OC.

From the reports I've read, listened to or watched, they all seem to indicate a more disciplined approach and organization. When I look over the past two seasons how many close games IU lost due to a stupid penalty keeping drives alive, going for a strip instead of tackling the runner allowing the other team to score. Dumb play calling (Lucas on an option to short side with no blockers).

From what I saw of the Spring "game" I saw a lot more attacking, more structure to the play calling. More discipline in the defense.

The question to me is what have our opponents done for this season and did we just keep up or did we move ahead of them with our changes? The first two games I'm looking to see that organization and discipline. I expect some sloppy play the first game but expect improvement the second game. The UCLA game to me is the one that will be telling and then how they respond the following week regardless of the outcome.

I look at it through this optic. IUFB can reach 7 W's during the regular season. But it will be so much easier to attain if the New HOOSIERS can 1st achieve 4-0. The 2nd game will certainly be where Coach Cignetti identifies the playmakers to take it to the Bruins.

The first 2 games will be the barometer. Will we blow these teams out or will we struggle?
I agree with this. If we win 30-40 plus vs below 10 we may have a shot against UCLA. Even with w loss to UCLA (and a win is a tough ask) with two previous big wins I would have confidence going into game 4 against a much improved Charlotte team.
3-1 overall and 0-1 in the conference, I think, would be a successful season start and hopefully imply we will reach 6 or 7 total wins for 2024.

I agree with this. If we win 30-40 plus vs below 10 we may have a shot against UCLA. Even with w loss to UCLA (and a win is a tough ask) with two previous big wins I would have confidence going into game 4 against a much improved Charlotte team.
3-1 overall and 0-1 in the conference, I think, would be a successful season start and hopefully imply we will reach 6 or 7 total wins for 2024.
I read your 0-1 in the conference and I was confused.
Seems so weird that UCLA and USC are now conference games.

Coach Cig has never had a losing season as a head coach in his career.

In his 3 “first seasons at a program”, the least amount of wins he’s had is 7.

He has 3 very winnable non conference games, 5 home B10 games, and a couple B10 road games that most years would be competitive in NW and MSU.

Probably 4 ish games they “should” win. And then 3-4 they have a legit shot at winning.

Cig doesn’t strike me as someone that loses a lot of “should win games”…and isn’t someone that gets shut out of wins in all his competitive games.

I think 6-6 or better should be doable. But if they go 5-7 but are competitive in most games and look more solid, that wouldn’t be a terrible start for Cig. Though I’m sure he wouldn’t appreciate his first ever losing season.

Totally agree.. Plus, everyone in the media seems to forget the IU QB situation & stagnant offense for several early games last year. I keep hearing - "Well, Maryland blew them out last year.." a tough one & probably a loss for the Hoosiers. Hopefully, we see early on how good this team really is or isn't. The OL is still a major concern..

Coach Cig has never had a losing season as a head coach in his career.

In his 3 “first seasons at a program”, the least amount of wins he’s had is 7.

He has 3 very winnable non conference games, 5 home B10 games, and a couple B10 road games that most years would be competitive in NW and MSU.

Probably 4 ish games they “should” win. And then 3-4 they have a legit shot at winning.

Cig doesn’t strike me as someone that loses a lot of “should win games”…and isn’t someone that gets shut out of wins in all his competitive games.

I think 6-6 or better should be doable. But if they go 5-7 but are competitive in most games and look more solid, that wouldn’t be a terrible start for Cig. Though I’m sure he wouldn’t appreciate his first ever losing season.
What will be interesting though is he has never inherited a rebuild like this either. Can he turn it around that quick? I have my concerns. Schedule helps a ton though like you said.

What will be interesting though is he has never inherited a rebuild like this either. Can he turn it around that quick? I have my concerns. Schedule helps a ton though like you said.
I haven't researched it a ton...so I don't know what he inherited at his other 3 schools.

But at IU, relative to IU historically, I wouldn't say Allen left the cupboard bare.

Also, Coach Cig strikes me as someone that probably always does a fair bit of overhauling when he gets to a new place. And his track record suggests he's pretty good at hitting the ground running, and having success right away.

We'll see if that carries over at IU. Bowl bid is smashing success in his first year, I'd say. But 5-7, competitive B10 play overall, and winning the last regular season game, should also be seen as a success, in my opinion.

Totally agree.. Plus, everyone in the media seems to forget the IU QB situation & stagnant offense for several early games last year. I keep hearing - "Well, Maryland blew them out last year.." a tough one & probably a loss for the Hoosiers. Hopefully, we see early on how good this team really is or isn't. The OL is still a major concern.
You are on the point. When was the last time IUFB had a game ready, tested QB. The OL this season has some experience and more depth which BB will milk for adequate achievement. I always revert to 1 of Coach Wilson's statements, the offense can only produce relative to what the OL can block and the QB can execute. Offense can't be explained better. We have an opportunity for success this season because we've got a fighting position with those 2 aspects.
Also believe at the end of the season the new nickname for PU will be the TWINKS. Book it!

Not opening with a conference game (which I never understood) will be huge.
Have a chance to get the bugs worked out the first two games before heading out to Cali.
If we can win that one which I think is very winnable,the Maryland game atmosphere should be fun.
Win that one and start 4-0 I think 8-4 is very attainable.
I know I’m setting myself up for disappointment but hey,a guy can dream.
Besides.I’m a lifelong IU football fan I’m used to disappointment😉

Totally agree.. Plus, everyone in the media seems to forget the IU QB situation & stagnant offense for several early games last year. I keep hearing - "Well, Maryland blew them out last year.." a tough one & probably a loss for the Hoosiers. Hopefully, we see early on how good this team really is or isn't. The OL is still a major concern..
Also On3 ranked IU 13th in team transfer rankings. They explain that their system does not rank teams against each other but scores each team based on how much it improved its roster through the transfer portal by comparing the players that left to the players that came in. Scoring 13th in the country in that category means the roster should be vastly improved. I just hope it’s enough to get us bowling. I think with the upgraded talent and coaching it should get us to bowl eligible.

I haven't researched it a ton...so I don't know what he inherited at his other 3 schools.

But at IU, relative to IU historically, I wouldn't say Allen left the cupboard bare.

Also, Coach Cig strikes me as someone that probably always does a fair bit of overhauling when he gets to a new place. And his track record suggests he's pretty good at hitting the ground running, and having success right away.

We'll see if that carries over at IU. Bowl bid is smashing success in his first year, I'd say. But 5-7, competitive B10 play overall, and winning the last regular season game, should also be seen as a success, in my opinion.
I agree with a lot of what you said. I do believe Allen left more on the roster than Brohm left for Walter’s, which is what I’m partially basing it on to be honest. The coach before cig was 37-6 at JMU.

I can honestly talk myself into 3-9 for iu and 7-5 for iu. Probably depends a lot on the QB and how quick they can pick up schemes. Seems hit or miss with new coaches across the board. Having all those jmu guys come in will not hurt at all. Whereas Deion had a ton of new faces last year, as did Walter’s. Makes it so tough. Purdue and iu are two teams I won’t be betting preseason. Haha

Improved coaching staff & productive portal players to shore up gaps on the team should lead to more wins this season. I think IU fans have been beaten down so much they are afraid to dream what this season could be. Afterall, the 1967 IUFB team could have looked back to the '66 team and said we were 1-8, we have no business thinking we can go to the Rose Bowl. If that team with first year players at QB, TB, and WR could turn the team around then this team can accomplish lot more than many believe IU can this year.

What the heck did they play last year?
Fair enough. I’ll give you last year. But since the conference went east/west in 2014:

IU - 19 matchups vs Ohio St / Michigan
Purdue - 6 matchups vs Ohio St / Michigan

And that’s not even mentioning PSU who is usually better than the best team in the west.

BIG divisions were a joke and the conference championship game was ceremonial most years with the outcome decided before the game started. The East division won Every. Single. Year. Most of the time by wide margin. Thank Christ I don’t have to watch Iowa get murdered by an actual good football team in the BIG Championship anymore.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT