ADVERTISEMENT

Perhaps we undervalue CTA’s values

Yes it was a very nice thing to do. But it was the only thing to do. Can you imagine if he told the kid he was too busy to go to the hospital to support his wife?

Can we stop lowering the bar?
Geezus. A lot of coaches/people would’ve sent someone else in their place. Don’t pretend everyone, especially every P5 college football coach, would’ve done what Allen did.

Yes it was a very nice thing to do. But it was the only thing to do. Can you imagine if he told the kid he was too busy to go to the hospital to support his wife?

Can we stop lowering the bar?

And I think that your post has more to do with your abhorrence for CTA than what he did or what any other P5 head coach would do.

Reactions: muubell and 76-1
Watching these details brings up so many emotions as there was about 10 minutes that it looked really grim and we were all sick.

There are just a few things that get missed. (1) if memory serves me correctly, this was a very big recruiting week and the coaches were very busy. (2) between Coach and Tracy, they did not leave Emma’s side until we were able to get Phil back on the next flight out. (3) All the coaches and their wives have supported in huge ways. They are all bought in on a strong culture.

I have no idea what 82 said above, but if it was anything like “this is great, but he must win”…he is right. We all understand that this is a billion dollar business and results are almost the only thing that matters. But my family will damn sure line up with the guy(s) we can trust and go win. And we will win. Book it 82.

I would argue that when he's always saying LEO to his players and recruits, he's exactly what he professes to be and it's not all a show.
It sells best to the single Mother when sitting in her living room during the in-home visit.
Helps engender trust that her son is more than a number, and is subject to positive, caring environment.

I would argue that when he's always saying LEO to his players and recruits, he's exactly what he professes to be and it's not all a show.
You've got coaches that are making multi-million dollars a year while the majority of the players are fighting for table scraps. Give every player including the walk-ons $10,000 a year out of your own pocket and it will only cost you a million dollars. And you're still left with more money than you need for the rest of your life. Now, in my mind, that would be LEO. And yes I realize they're probably is a provision where the coaches can't reach into their own pocket which is also kind of ridiculous when a third party can give some kid a million dollars.

There are only three players left from the 2020 recruiting class. Players are leaving for instant gratification or more money. In fairness to Tom Allen, you can have the best of intentions with LEO but I think the whole thing is been turned on its head because of all the money being thrown around. In my mind part of LEO would be that there is not an exodus of players every year, including the team captains, and the program would not be at the bottom of the conference.

It was a nice thing coach Allen did to embody LEO when other wouldn't go so far. Still, this is a win business he is in, this team needs to have a special year to get IUFB back on track.
With all the graduating OL talent this year, the future for CTA is quite possibly now, in a what have you done for me lately world. 7-6 with a bowl win may be good enough to survive a 5-7 2024 campaign. It’s clear CTA made an extraordinary effort to upgrade the talent pool through the portal.

You've got coaches that are making multi-million dollars a year while the majority of the players are fighting for table scraps. Give every player including the walk-ons $10,000 a year out of your own pocket and it will only cost you a million dollars. And you're still left with more money than you need for the rest of your life. Now, in my mind, that would be LEO. And yes I realize they're probably is a provision where the coaches can't reach into their own pocket which is also kind of ridiculous when a third party can give some kid a million dollars.

There are only three players left from the 2020 recruiting class. Players are leaving for instant gratification or more money. In fairness to Tom Allen, you can have the best of intentions with LEO but I think the whole thing is been turned on its head because of all the money being thrown around. In my mind part of LEO would be that there is not an exodus of players every year, including the team captains, and the program would not be at the bottom of the conference.

You made up 100% NCAA recruiting infraction and used it as a negative against Tom Allen. Then you use the 2020 class and fail to mention players that are still with the team but had to quit because of injury, plus they had graduates from that class as well.

That says a lot about your understanding of what LEO is.

LEO is what happened with Phillip and his wife and not thinking twice about it. LEO is bringing Sampson James back, even though he can't play anymore just because he wants him to finish school and get his degree.

Winning is important, but CTA is also trying to show these young men how to live with love and integrity.

I, for one am happy to have a coach like that at Indiana.

Your BS is tired. It needs a nap.

nah...we have over-valued his values...hence, the ridiculous contract that we're now stuck with
Every coach at just about every level uses some form of LEO as the foundation of their culture. For most, it’s much more of an internal standard rather than an outward facing (at least partially) program theme and “marketing” effort. Not trying to be cynical, but LEO is a commonly practiced part of various sports at all levels. I like Tom Allen, but LEO isn’t any more unique to us than Row The Boat is to the Gophers.

You made up 100% NCAA recruiting infraction and used it as a negative against Tom Allen. Then you use the 2020 class and fail to mention players that are still with the team but had to quit because of injury, plus they had graduates from that class as well.

That says a lot about your understanding of what LEO is.

LEO is what happened with Phillip and his wife and not thinking twice about it. LEO is bringing Sampson James back, even though he can't play anymore just because he wants him to finish school and get his degree.

Winning is important, but CTA is also trying to show these young men how to live with love and integrity.

I, for one am happy to have a coach like that at Indiana.
Winning is what he's paid to do! That's the bottom line.

Every coach at just about every level uses some form of LEO as the foundation of their culture. For most, it’s much more of an internal standard rather than an outward facing (at least partially) program theme and “marketing” effort. Not trying to be cynical, but LEO is a commonly practiced part of various sports at all levels. I like Tom Allen, but LEO isn’t any more unique to us than Row The Boat is to the Gophers.
Shut up

LEO was a direct result of the Wilson firing....we all see through it now

• Wow
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Winning is what he's paid to do! That's the bottom line.

Well, no one is disputing that, but going to back to back January bowls when we haven't done that in how long, to me, has bought him a longer leash then normal.

If he shits the bed and we go 2-10 again, I'll be at the front of the line calling for a change (which won't happen because Indiana won't pay that buyout, IMO). If he wins 5 and we're competing in every game and not getting blown out, I'm on board for one more year.

Something I have been curious about ever since coach Wilson leaving: if you recall the year the Hoosiers played Duke in the pinstripe bowl the season started with an overtime victory over a lousy Southern Illinois team. I think the Hoosiers played the game with 13 suspended players. Each year there was always at least a half a dozen or so players suspended for the opening game.

I don't recall any of these with Coach Allen. I'm wondering what changed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT