ADVERTISEMENT

Allens B10 interview

Even if he hasn't gotten better, he should still drive to get better. So again what is the issue?
If he hasn't gotten better after 6 years, is he ever going to get better?

We all hope things will change. We hope we get betterplayers. We hope said players are developed better. We all hope coaching gets better.

We've been hoping for a while. When will it get better?

We all hope things will change. We hope we get betterplayers. We hope said players are developed better. We all hope coaching gets better.

Without question IU needs to improve and 2019 and 2020 showed with the right coordinators coach Allen is fine as a HC. His problem has been coming up with the right coordinators instead of who he is comfortable with. I hope this year our coordinators prove they are the right ones for IU.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion

The question isn't how optimistic or pessimistic people are on the likelihood of Allen getting better but whether or not a coach of 7 years should be stating that as a goal.

I am yet to hear a reason why a coach of 7 years shouldn't have a goal of getting better

I think we played So. Cal in btown when John Robinson was coaching along with Coach Corso - I was at the game so OJ was not the tailback the last time we played them.
That is correct. And then IU played USC at the LA Coliseum in 1982. There was a great tailback IU last faced, but It was Marcus Allen in 1981 in Bloomington.

Reactions: vesuvius13
The fact is Allen is a bad coach and only has a job because IU can’t afford to fire him. He is gone in December of 2024.
So here is how I see it. I think because of his enthusiasm and how he is received, we are punching above our weight, recruiting wise. But given that, when we get players, we have to put them in the right spots. Dexter Williams should have started at QB in Game 1, as should have Jaylin Lucas. I think the fact we can still recruit decently and also that we have a great campus helps us stay in the mix. We also seem to do OK in the transfer portal. So one of these seasons ... And if not, we'll all be back here in 2024.

The question isn't how optimistic or pessimistic people are on the likelihood of Allen getting better but whether or not a coach of 7 years should be stating that as a goal.

I am yet to hear a reason why a coach of 7 years shouldn't have a goal of getting better
No one said he shouldn't have a goal of getting better. He should.

The problem is that at 7 years, he should BE better. He's not.

It's like when I hire a new employee and his #1 goal year 1 is to get better at his job. After 6 years his performance is still at year 1 level and yet still states his goal is to be a better employee.

I can respect that he wants to get better, but if he isn't any better after 6 years then that employee is getting let go.

Reactions: vesuvius13
No one said he shouldn't have a goal of getting better. He should.

The problem is that at 7 years, he should BE better. He's not.

It's like when I hire a new employee and his #1 goal year 1 is to get better at his job. After 6 years his performance is still at year 1 level and yet still states his goal is to be a better employee.

I can respect that he wants to get better, but if he isn't any better after 6 years then that employee is getting let go.
Read post #5 that I quoted before you tell me no one said that.

Without question IU needs to improve and 2019 and 2020 showed with the right coordinators coach Allen is fine as a HC. His problem has been coming up with the right coordinators instead of who he is comfortable with. I hope this year our coordinators prove they are the right ones for IU.
I hope so too. But at the same time CTA needs to manage his staff.

Last year he let the OC run an Offense that was incompatible to his Defense. A fine HC doesn't allow that.

He's shocked because after 6 years, he's not any better despite the fact that is goal.
That is not what his post says. Subsequent posts sure.

But you and gradman thinking coach allen hasn't improved means nothing as far as whether Allen's goal of improving is crazy or not. Every coach's goal is to improve or at least should be. You guys are just jumping at an opportunity to throw in your opinion of Allen.

The point is gradman saying "good lord" to allen saying he wants to improve gets the response of "good lord, what do you want him to say?"

Would you like him to say how awesome he is and throw assistants or players under the bus?

Or should he say he sucks and doesn't plan on improving. I am sure that would go over well

He is allowed to clarify his post. And you agree his subsequent posts do say that. So why are you so hung up on your own personal interpretation when the poster already clarified his position?

But you and gradman thinking coach allen hasn't improved means nothing as far as whether Allen's goal of improving is crazy or not. Every coach's goal is to improve or at least should be. You guys are just jumping at an opportunity to throw in your opinion of Allen.

The point is gradman saying "good lord" to allen saying he wants to improve gets the response of "good lord, what do you want him to say?"

Would you like him to say how awesome he is and throw assistants or players under the bus?

Or should he say he sucks and doesn't plan on improving. I am sure that would go over well
The rest of your post doesn't matter because he already clarified that's not what he meant. You acknowledged those clarifications.

Reactions: IUgradman
He is allowed to clarify his post. And you agree his subsequent posts do say that. So why are you so hung up on your own personal interpretation when the poster already clarified his position?

The rest of your post doesn't matter because he already clarified that's not what he meant. You acknowledged those clarifications.
I clarified that he moved the goal posts in an attempt to defend his initial post and then you took the baton and claimed he didn't make the initial post and then tried to twist what his initial post meant.

I clarified that he moved the goal posts in an attempt to defend his initial post and then you took the baton and claimed he didn't make the initial post and then tried to twist what his initial post meant.
You’re right, but you’re also trying to prove a point that avoid the much more important issue: Why hasn’t Coach Allen improved nearly enough to build a sustainably winning program, even as we sit near the start of his 7th season? When / if you are able to address that subject, we’ll be all ears.

You’re right, but you’re also trying to prove a point that avoid the much more important issue: Why hasn’t Coach Allen improved nearly enough to build a sustainably winning program, even as we sit near the start of his 7th season? When / if you are able to address that subject, we’ll be all ears.

I think he has made some bad hires for coordinators. whether or not he himself has improved as a coach is highly subjective.

We don't get an option to sway whether or not allen is retained as coach. I can only hope that he can turn things around.

All coaches strive for greatness. All coaches have a drive to be better.
The difference is they don’t publicly admit it. Because to admit it, particularly when you are struggling big time, puts a giant target on your back. Being that open about it leads fans to question whether the guy has the chops for the gig.

All coaches strive for greatness. All coaches have a drive to be better.
The difference is they don’t publicly admit it. Because to admit it, particularly when you are struggling big time, puts a giant target on your back. Being that open about it leads fans to question whether the guy has the chops for the gig.
Meh, people will question any coach that struggles regardless of what they say.

To me it was nothing but coach speak. A whole lotta nothing of substance

We'll have to agree to disagree. And that is fine.

I think he has made some bad hires for coordinators. whether or not he himself has improved as a coach is highly subjective.

We don't get an option to sway whether or not allen is retained as coach. I can only hope that he can turn things around.
It's not just bad hires. It's his lack of staff management.

He's always let his OC do whatever they want without direction or correction. He called the OC the HC of the offense. The fact that he is either incapable of managing the OC or just refuses to do so is a prime example of his inability to get better at his job.

People can't just boil down his effectiveness to his ability to hire. He's got to manage the whole team, not turn a blind eye to half it.

That is YOUR take and more power to you but I like the fact that he acknowledged that he doesn't know it all and is still working to get better.

Not sure I would want a coach that is done learning.
My take is that he is clueless based on the job he has done. Short of the fluke COVID season we have stunk under him. At one point his recruiting seemed to be going well but now that is going backwards. Most of the guys we seem to be signing have few if any offers from decent schools. Different coach but same old horrible football program.

Reactions: IUgradman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT