ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State

Penn State has returned to elite football program status. They have won big games, and they are recruiting at the highest level. It's not a requirement that Allen goes on the road and beats them. We can still have a great season without winning this game. However, this looks like a trap game for Penn State. We had a bye week then used our starters sparingly against GSU. They went on the road, and played a physical game against Iowa. They have better depth and higher caliber talent, but we have a healthy team that is hungry for a break through win. I wouldn't be surprised if we had a chance to win this one in the fourth quarter.

We are anything but healthy right now. There is a chance we are without 3 of our top 4 most important defenders in Hoff, Ball, and Fant. I think Fant will play but the other two are long-shots. Both happen to be crucial to our run D and out the week we face the best RB we will see all season.

I have no idea how we kept him to 59 yards or whatever last season, but I have a hard time believing we can do it two years in a row. He is just that good. Offense is going to need to move the ball.

IU always plays PSU tough and this year will probably not be an exception. We certainly showed some wrinkles in offensive scoring that I would hope gets corrected before this Saturday. Should have beaten Iowa by 14-17 points. I think PSU will be up to IU challenge but it is a somewhat scary game.

Reactions: Nitwit
If Ball can't play at a high level I think we'll struggle... Hope I'm wrong...

Having both Hoff and Ball injured going into this one is bad, very bad, Having Harris out hurts too. From what I though I saw he was playing pretty well for a true freshman in a backup role. Having Riggins out at corner is a major loss too...

Reactions: IUgradman
Take the L, get healthy and beat Charleston Southern on 10/7. We could have really used a bye that week but Mother Nature is a b***h.

IU always plays PSU tough and this year will probably not be an exception. We certainly showed some wrinkles in offensive scoring that I would hope gets corrected before this Saturday. Should have beaten Iowa by 14-17 points. I think PSU will be up to IU challenge but it is a somewhat scary game.
Penn State’s defense overwhelmed Iowa at the point of attack, regularly sending 8 or 9 players into the box to blow up the running game, win first down, and basically dare them to throw the ball. It worked.

Offensively, PSU rode SB and it worked until they got into the red zone, where Iowa’s very stout D (their front 7 is tremendous) made the going extremely tough. So PSU outgained them for much of the game but had little to show for it.

PSU will have to play IU more straight up because they can throw the ball to multiple receivers, so don’t expect the same approach from them. Offensively, IU will likely sell out to stop SB, and they’ll probably spy McSorley in an effort to contain him. PSU, with the threat of a running game, will play-pass and take shots down the field, so IU’s corners and safeties will be severely tested.

I am bias, but Iowa is pretty good. The QB, receiving corp and the back end of the defense are young and without much experience. The QB is (in my opinion) going to be very good, but coaches have been holding him back with the play calling. Had Iowa let the young lad throw in the first half instead of watching Penn State crowd the line and stuff the run repeatedly, it might have had a different outcome. As for Penn State, they are good, but Barkley is great, and without injury should be the next heisman winner. That aside, he was the only player that really hurt the Hawks, and I think Penn State should try and limit his touches as to keep him healthy. As Barkley goes, so does Penn State. I sure would not have him keep returning kicks. From watching the game, get pressure on McSorley and contain him within the pocket, limit the big plays and Indiana has a chance. Make Penn State have to drive. Barkley is going to get his yards. Just my opinion as a Hawkeye fan for what its worth.

I am bias, but Iowa is pretty good. The QB, receiving corp and the back end of the defense are young and without much experience. The QB is (in my opinion) going to be very good, but coaches have been holding him back with the play calling. Had Iowa let the young lad throw in the first half instead of watching Penn State crowd the line and stuff the run repeatedly, it might have had a different outcome. As for Penn State, they are good, but Barkley is great, and without injury should be the next heisman winner. That aside, he was the only player that really hurt the Hawks, and I think Penn State should try and limit his touches as to keep him healthy. As Barkley goes, so does Penn State. I sure would not have him keep returning kicks. From watching the game, get pressure on McSorley and contain him within the pocket, limit the big plays and Indiana has a chance. Make Penn State have to drive. Barkley is going to get his yards. Just my opinion as a Hawkeye fan for what its worth.
I think NS could be good at some point, but turning him loose against that defense was more likely to result in turnovers than moving the chains, and it was clear Brian Ferentz wanted to play as clean as possible and get to the 4th quarter with a chance to win, and they did. Great game. Iowa is extremely well coached.

Reactions: scotthawk1964
I think NS could be good at some point, but turning him loose against that defense was more likely to result in turnovers than moving the chains, and it was clear Brian Ferentz wanted to play as clean as possible and get to the 4th quarter with a chance to win, and they did. Great game. Iowa is extremely well coached.
Agreed, Brian is trying to bring him along slowly.

I went to an iu/psu game one time at the old RCA Dome. IU had ARE and absolutely should've won the game. There's been so many of those through the years.

ARE was one of the top 5 players I've ever seen live. He was a cartoon. We had him cornered against the sideline....maybe 5 Penn State players around him. He juked everyone out - and it was so smooth. What an unbelievable player he was.

Indiana has the receivers to give most teams fits, the wild card is QB/Oline play. QB play is sporadic and Oline play struggling. I think if Lagow bangs the short corners with quick strikes they will move the ball.

Lagow has a bad habit of locking in and failing to check down and that makes the mid to deep ball coverage much easier.

Lagow is on a short leash with a more mobile RS Freshman behind him. Prepare for both.

Reactions: MrBing
Antwaan Randle El was a competitor. I remember going to the Kentucky game in 2001. Kentucky players were frustrated about getting beat. A fight broke out at the end of the game, and the benches cleared. ARE took off his helmet and started swinging it at guys. It was a pretty memorable football game for a seventh grader.

Reactions: MrBing and 76-1
This is a big game for Tom Allen. So far he's had pretty mixed results in his first 3 games. Sh&t the bed against OSU, good showing at Virginia, then Saturday doesn't really tell us anything. This is an early chance to make a statement!

Did he sh&t the bed against Utah?

I would argue your crowd kept you in that game.. your D was getting pushed all over the place.. on a few key 3rd downs PSU had late snaps that killed plays. Your D competed but Penn State damn near beat themselves.. 520 yards will get you beat 3x as bad most of the time. Take the same amount of yards if PSU is at home and you have last years game. Iowa simply lacks athleticism all over the field--on both sides... same with Wisconsin.. oddly enough IU and Minnesota seem to have more athletic edge players than Iowa or Wisky ever do.

When Ferentz is gone, it will be hard to find a coach to win consistently with the level of talent that usually flows into Iowa.

I would argue your crowd kept you in that game.. your D was getting pushed all over the place.. on a few key 3rd downs PSU had late snaps that killed plays. Your D competed but Penn State damn near beat themselves.. 520 yards will get you beat 3x as bad most of the time. Take the same amount of yards if PSU is at home and you have last years game. Iowa simply lacks athleticism all over the field--on both sides... same with Wisconsin.. oddly enough IU and Minnesota seem to have more athletic edge players than Iowa or Wisky ever do.

When Ferentz is gone, it will be hard to find a coach to win consistently with the level of talent that usually flows into Iowa.
Brian Ferentz is the next Iowa coach.

I would agree that the crowd kept the team up, however I would say that the PSU offense pushed Iowa's D all over the field is a bit of a stretch. Barkley was superman, and was for the most part unstoppable. I should say he was superman between the 20's. However, the rest of the PSU offense did very little. Mistakes? They were made on both sides of the ball. Akrum Wadley fumbled deep in PSU territory thus taking a scoring attempt away, and both teams had field goals blocked. McSorley's interception by Jewell was a great play by Iowa's DE, not a mistake on McSorley. Had Iowa passed more in the first half instead of trying to run on 8 and 9 man fronts, I don't think they would have been as inept as they were. Iowa seemed to moved the ball at will in the 4th Qtr. Iowa's QB is a true sophomore in only his 4th start, so he is being brought along slowly, and they cut him loose in the second half when they get behind. Barkley played out of his mind, but the team other then him really did not impress. McSorley was contained and sacked 4 times. Penn State is the better team, but when Iowa starts a sophomore at QB, Freshman at WR, LT and sophomores at CB and Safety, they should be. LOL

Reactions: Nihilist Rodgers
Iowa is one of those teams that will be a lot better at the end of the season than at the start. They're the only team in the B1G West that can unseat Wisky. If they can get the passing game going some to free up Wadley, they're may end up in the B1GCG

IU will be fine against PSU If Hoff and Ball are healthy enough to play. Hoff is the most underrated DT in the Big Ten. Great run stuffer.

Iowa is one of those teams that will be a lot better at the end of the season than at the start. They're the only team in the B1G West that can unseat Wisky. If they can get the passing game going some to free up Wadley, they're may end up in the B1GCG
Yes, and my apologies, this is an Indiana board and I shouldn't be bantering with a Penn State fan about the game. Good luck to the Hoosiers Saturday.

They clearly are a second half team. Barkley is a beast. It will be all hands on deck against them. Iowa is offensively challenged but it is going to be tough to move the ball, especially at their place.

Thoughts?

We reverted to a second half team against Iowa, but that final drive is how PSU has moved the ball this year so far. If those first-half drives were punched in, it would have been 21-7 going into the half. It all depends on if McSorley can settle in immediately and make his throws, which didn't happen at Iowa. At home though, it should be easy for him. We should be seeing the offense light up again (and actually score points) after last week's hostile game. Even with the knowledge that Barkley needs to be stopped, he still racked up a school record.

Hopefully those of you who come have a good time, see you Saturday.

I like how all the Penn State reporters are only writing about Simmie Cobbs and Ian Thomas. There is no mention of Donavan Hale. I think he is going to break out at some point this season.

Reactions: 76-1 and ESalum86
Again, I'm simply arguing that this COULD be the case, but their play so far this season, and the Iowa game in particular, and not necessary predictors of this at this point in time
You do realize that PSU had 600 yards against Iowa and only gave up like 300, right? PSU just couldn't finish it, missed some FG's, had one blocked, lost a fluky fumble that for some odd reason was not reviewed (looked like a forward pass to me), etc -- in a very tough environment.

To say the season revolved around that OSU game is just incorrect -- it all started with the Minnesota win. Had we not have been, by necessity, playing walk-ons at the LB position against Pitt last year, we win that game and likely make the playoffs.

Has PSU played a week schedule thus far? Yes - and PSU outscored two of them by a combined 111ish-0.

This is the best team that Penn State has fielded since, arguably, 1994 (I would take them over '99, '05, '08, or '16)

This is a big game for Tom Allen. So far he's had pretty mixed results in his first 3 games. Sh&t the bed against OSU, good showing at Virginia, then Saturday doesn't really tell us anything. This is an early chance to make a statement!

I know you are a huge Wilson apologist so....never saw you on here say one damn thing after the Rutgers debacle or the other 50/50 games he choked. Yet, you are quick to say Allen "sh$& the bed."

Telling.

I know you are a huge Wilson apologist so....never saw you on here say one damn thing after the Rutgers debacle or the other 50/50 games he choked. Yet, you are quick to say Allen "sh$& the bed."

Telling.
I was very critical of Wilson at time for his in game management. I criticized him several times on here after losses. But he got a pass by me for the most part because he built the program up from the complete dumpster fire he inherited. Allen doesn't get that same pass. At least not yet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT