ADVERTISEMENT

Penix done for the season

I hold the staff responsible for believing a kid that skinny could play a starter in B10 ball...I said it all last year too and the summer. He must get bigger and tougher to play, let alone start...imo
Are you phucking kidding me? Penix was one of the best QBs in the country this year, garnering national attention. His 20 straight completions against Michigan State was a school record and just two shy of the all-time Big Ten record. Pro Football Focus had him in their weekly Top 10 multiple times. He went 110 for 160 passing (almost a 70% completion rate!) for 1,394 yards with 10 TDs and just four INTs, he's IU's most dynamic quarterback since Randle-El and you're "holding the staff responsible" because you think he's too skinny to play. You're a clueless embarrassment.

Last edited:
@iubud You are absolutely correct, Ramsey has definitely taken steps forward this year plus he has a better play-caller up in the box in 2019. As far as running goes Penix may have more natural ability but Ramsey I would argue is actually more effective. PR is stronger and more durable and he has broken many long runs in his career, some for TDs. I'm not sure where the idea that Ramsey can't throw the deep ball comes from. Can he throw it 75 yards in the air? No but few can. I have seen him hit at least 6-10 long balls in his career, I am about to make a video compilation of them all. The haters would still come up with some explanation though...
The difference is the trajectory those longer throws take. Penix can throw a flatter pass because he has enough velocity for the ball not to drop too much. We all remember Physics and how gravity and force vectors work.

As a result, Penix longer balls can get to the receiver before the defender can close a gap. Some long passes need more air under them like Ramsey is able to throw to come in at an angle that prevents the defender from getting to it. Ramsey can make those long throws and has thrown good fade routes.

Deboer knows his two QBs. Ramsey has the experience to understand how his ball needs to be thrown in every situation.

I hope Ramsey doesn't decide to get started on his coaching career or be a grad transfer. After two career ending injuries with Penix, I could see using Ramsey as a relief QB to come in and close out games next year. Ramsey won't lose a game for us. Penix might be our choice in a high scoring game, but Ramsey will protect a lead and also capable of moving the ball and scoring.

Geeeesh that dumb...go look at the damn stats..they are the same...no diff...get a grip

Were you in the stands for the Northwestern game? If so, you could not have failed to notice the rather big difference between PR & MP.........much less confident in the pocket, holds on to the ball, more subject to drive-ending sacks, not as good a runner. It's really not debatable.
Yet somehow we managed to win the biggest games of the year so far (away at Mary and Neb) with Ramsey. We'll be fine.

If Penix had played against PS...they would have had to carry him out on a stretcher...like last year...get over it people...and arm is great and he will be a good QB IF he puts weight on...which will slow him a bit like Ramsey who is built like a man...but I think Tuttle has a chance to pass him up...once he gets more PT...imo

I hold the staff responsible for believing a kid that skinny could play a starter in B10 ball...I said it all last year too and the summer. He must get bigger and tougher to play, let alone start...imo
“Hold the staff responsible”, utter nonsense. The staff played a QB that clearly has better velocity on his throws and gave this team the best chance of winning games. That is NOT a knock on Peyton Ramsey, it is just a fact. If you have seen both play in person , you cannot question this, the ball gets there quicker with MP. This allows for more YAC and to fit it into tighter windows. That said PR has shown his toughness and leadership this year, and CKD plays to PR’s strengths much better than DeBord did. There is no reason this team cannot be successful moving forward, but against the PSU’s and UM’s of the world the coverage/windows will be tighter, the rush will get there sooner and offensive success will be more difficult.
Sindelar at PU had and ACL last year and broken collarbone this year at 6’4” 230, so I guess Brohm shouldn’t have played him. Tyreek Hill had an SC joint injury ( same injury as MP) in week 1 for the Chiefs, one of the more impressive athletes you will ever see, guess Reid shouldn’t have played him. Wrong, injuries happen, football is a violent sport. Does MP need to get bigger, stronger ? Yes. But you make him sound like an 8th grader playing in the NFL, his injuries were unfortunate, but the same injuries happen to many other highly developed players.

If Penix had played against PS...they would have had to carry him out on a stretcher...like last year...get over it people...and arm is great and he will be a good QB IF he puts weight on...which will slow him a bit like Ramsey who is built like a man...but I think Tuttle has a chance to pass him up...once he gets more PT...imo

Kellen Lewis says “hold my beer”

Why does more weight have to slow Penix down? Besides not understanding that what Penix weighs has nothing to do with his injuries, you don't understand strength and conditioning.

Unless your key to Penix becoming more durable is sitting around eating fast food, muscle mass weighs more than fat and does not have to come at the expense of speed. If you played in any organized sport in the last 50 years, you should know this.

I was at Indy and saw a Ball State player bounce off Penix while he flicked the ball downfield and out of bounds to avoid a sack. Getting stronger in general will allow him to break tackles, escape more easily, and make him more explosive if he decides to run.

Yeah, we get it, you're an advocate for Peyton Ramsey. Good for you, he deserves support. Heck at the beginning of the season I expected him to be named the starter in game 1 and then see whether Penix's performance merited a change in starters as the season progressed. I supported Peyton, too.

But others who have their own opinions are entitled to have a conversation about those opinions without you crapping all over their posts all the time. So, why don't you let the rest of the posters have their shot without trashing every post saying that IU's offense is qualitatively different when Penix is playing QB? Lots of folks see that very clearly even if you don't. And your denying it won't change that fact . . . even DeBoer and CTA came to the same conclusion others did.

That doesn't diminish Ramsey's importance to this team. We all see that.

The fact is that we can support Penix for what he brings to the team, and can just as easily support Ramsey for what he brings, which is different from what Penix brings. The great thing about IU's QB room is that we have much to support in all 3 of those guys. We don't have to choose one at the expense of the others.

Oh, the drama. Give it a rest. First of all, I have been stating that both are equal therefore there is no drop off. That is 100% what I have been saying So explain why you say "we can just as easily support Ramsey for what he brings and Penix for what he brings"? That is literally agreeing with everything I have said so again, thank you for that.

Secondly, having an opinion is completely fine, where did I ever say it wasn't ok? You are on a forum that is open for discussion so when you provide an opinion with no facts, be expected to be called out on it. The problem is everyone I am calling out has no facts and are just spouting hate on Ramsey for no reason. You and everyone else that continues to bash Ramsey with backhanded compliments or act as if we are worse off now than we were .....I am going to call you out on it. If you disagree, back it up with facts as I have done over...and over....and over again. Just as Ramsey has with his play.

So, if you agree that they are equal, then you agree with me. Thanks.

Reactions: Palmbeachhoosier
Ramsey is a better QB than he was last year. He is throwing the ball downfield with more confidence. He does hold onto the ball a little longer and throws a different ball than Penix.

Ramsey can put up good numbers. He has to work hard to do what Penix does more easily. No need to get angry. Penix has a bright future and Ramsey has a chance to finish out a good season.

You are making statements but not providing facts to back that up. Please explain why Ramsey has equal stats yet played against tougher competition (Ohio State)? In what ways do you think Ramsey has to work harder to do what has amounted to less? Penix has a lot of potential and again, I still prefer him to start if he was available; however, there is ZERO drop off and plenty of facts that support we could be better right now.

Are you phucking kidding me? Penix was one of the best QBs in the country this year, garnering national attention. His 20 straight completions against Michigan State was a school record and just two shy of the all-time Big Ten record. Pro Football Focus had him in their weekly Top 10 multiple times. He went 110 for 160 passing (almost a 70% completion rate!) for 1,394 yards with 10 TDs and just four INTs, he's IU's most dynamic quarterback since Randle-El and you're "holding the staff responsible" because you think he's too skinny to play. You're a clueless embarrassment.

Yeah, the Randle El thing was called out pretty hardcore here. I like him, he has a lot of talent and potential. He is as good as Peyton Ramsey but only a RS Frosh. So he has time.

“Hold the staff responsible”, utter nonsense. The staff played a QB that clearly has better velocity on his throws and gave this team the best chance of winning games. That is NOT a knock on Peyton Ramsey, it is just a fact. If you have seen both play in person , you cannot question this, the ball gets there quicker with MP. This allows for more YAC and to fit it into tighter windows. That said PR has shown his toughness and leadership this year, and CKD plays to PR’s strengths much better than DeBord did. There is no reason this team cannot be successful moving forward, but against the PSU’s and UM’s of the world the coverage/windows will be tighter, the rush will get there sooner and offensive success will be more difficult.
Sindelar at PU had and ACL last year and broken collarbone this year at 6’4” 230, so I guess Brohm shouldn’t have played him. Tyreek Hill had an SC joint injury ( same injury as MP) in week 1 for the Chiefs, one of the more impressive athletes you will ever see, guess Reid shouldn’t have played him. Wrong, injuries happen, football is a violent sport. Does MP need to get bigger, stronger ? Yes. But you make him sound like an 8th grader playing in the NFL, his injuries were unfortunate, but the same injuries happen to many other highly developed players.

I have yet to see a speedometer showing Penix's throws are just so much harder. You are talking out of your rump.

The offense completely changes with Penix in there. It’s the down field stuff that Ramsey isn’t even in the same league. I love the guy he is a great backup. His short yardage passes are great. Penix set consecutive passing completions. Penix makes us better.

ha Except for Ramsey has thrown downfield PLENTY of times. Hence the reason their yards per attempt is almost identical. This downfield nonsense is literally founded off of last year when we had the most least aggressive OC ever. These are the same player which is why it took TA forever to decide a starter. Again, just facts.

Yes. Through the first half of the season, PFF had Penix at #16 nationally. They commented: "He's currently one of just sixteen quarterbacks with elite grades for the season . . . "

You can go back to sleep now.
Look at who those stats were compiled against. That would be helpful for you.

Penix's low sack numbers are a result of the ball getting out much faster. The next two games this is going to be important. The OL is going to have to play well to give Ramsey time if we are to win. The improved running game should help some hopefully. PSU's defense is really fast and Michigan's is very solid. I'm not saying a win or loss is a guarantee with either guy but Penix would give us more cushion IMO.

Or maaaaaybe 6 of those sacks came from Ohio State?

I have yet to see a speedometer showing Penix's throws are just so much harder. You are talking out of your rump.
So it appears you are saying that Ramsey might very well have similar velocity as Penix does on his throws but need to see speedometer readings to confirm???? Only an ignorant fool would make such a dumbass statement.

Reactions: JohnsyRick
ha Except for Ramsey has thrown downfield PLENTY of times. Hence the reason their yards per attempt is almost identical. This downfield nonsense is literally founded off of last year when we had the most least aggressive OC ever. These are the same player which is why it took TA forever to decide a starter. Again, just facts.
Which of the two of them scares D coordinators more? It’s an easy answer.

Reactions: JohnsyRick
So it appears you are saying that Ramsey might very well have similar velocity as Penix does on his throws but need to see speedometer readings to confirm???? Only an ignorant fool would make such a dumbass statement.

Now name calling, real mature. No, its ridiculous to make a statement that is not fact based. I can say Ramsey throws just as hard and I have just as much facts to back that up as you.

Now name calling, real mature. No, its ridiculous to make a statement that is not fact based. I can say Ramsey throws just as hard and I have just as much facts to back that up as you.
If you believe that, then yes you are an ignorant fool, but you continually prove that in post after post after post after post after post. You have proved your point that you are an ignorant fool when you make dumbass statements like that.

You are making statements but not providing facts to back that up. Please explain why Ramsey has equal stats yet played against tougher competition (Ohio State)? In what ways do you think Ramsey has to work harder to do what has amounted to less? Penix has a lot of potential and again, I still prefer him to start if he was available; however, there is ZERO drop off and plenty of facts that support we could be better right now.
Look at the box score of the NW game. The QBR was nearly identical for both players. Ramsey's was a little higher due to his TD pass. The yards per attempt were identical. Completion percentage was within 1-2%.

I am doing this from memory but check it out. It is the best comparison of both of them playing about the same amount of time. Both played against the same team and both played about one half. The Maryland game might be completely different, but Ramsey came in and finished the game with a win.

I prefer Penix as the starter, but Ramsey is very capable and the season isn't over without Penix.

If you believe that, then yes you are an ignorant fool, but you continually prove that in post after post after post after post after post. You have proved your point that you are an ignorant fool when you make dumbass statements like that.

Lol You are right, I am continually proving post after post, that you have no facts to support your statement. When someone has no facts, the resort to name calling and what ever nonsense you are now spouting.

Look at the box score of the NW game. The QBR was nearly identical for both players. Ramsey's was a little higher due to his TD pass. The yards per attempt were identical. Completion percentage was within 1-2%.

I am doing this from memory but check it out. It is the best comparison of both of them playing about the same amount of time. Both played against the same team and both played about one half. The Maryland game might be completely different, but Ramsey came in and finished the game with a win.

I prefer Penix as the starter, but Ramsey is very capable and the season isn't over without Penix.

You couldn't possibly be more spot on. It's 100% factual.

We scored 21 points in 27 minutes with MP playing......10 points in about the same time with PR starting. PR got sacked on his 1st pass attempt after Penix had fairly routinely avoided the same pass rush for 27 minutes. I believe he was also sacked later.

There were similar #s in the MD game + had MP's pass at the 5 yard line not gone off Hendershot's hands (75% on Hendershot, 25% on Penix), we would have had another TD and the game would have been effectively over.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
You couldn't possibly be more spot on. It's 100% factual.
So what was your problem with what I said? You were offended that Ramsey has to work harder to equal Penix's performance? Ramsey and the coaches would probably agree that Penix's talent would require a lot of people to work harder to measure up. To Ramsey's credit, he has done that.

The Penix - Ramsey debate is OVER. We will miss Penix, but I am damn glad we have Ramsey. It is time to get Tuttle ready.

We scored 21 points in 27 minutes with MP playing......10 points in about the same time with PR starting. PR got sacked on his 1st pass attempt after Penix had fairly routinely avoided the same pass rush for 27 minutes. I believe he was also sacked later.

There were similar #s in the MD game + had MP's pass at the 5 yard line not gone off Hendershot's hands (75% on Hendershot, 25% on Penix), we would have had another TD and the game would have been effectively over.
What was our focus when we were up 4 touchdowns in the second half? Scoring or burning the clock? We didn't need any more points. Scott came out of the game after he got his 100 yards. Ramsey stayed in to control the ball. We were content to run the ball and trade punts with an awful NW offense.

He had his best game against the 11th best defense in the country.

Time for your medication, Ord. That would be helpful for you.
One game. Look at everything else if you’re interested in a more accurate view. And try to unclench your fists and lower your fury just a bit. You’ll make more sense that way, hopefully.

*recognizing the extra zip on Penix's balls (after someone points it out) doesn't make one an expert in evaluating quarterbacks
*finding stats to support a conclusion one has already reached isn't research
*name calling and cursing doesn't make one's argument stronger
*we all love football but we all have a lot to learn about this game, a little humility is a good thing
*it seems like some of you want Ramsey to do badly just so you can say HA! I was right!
*whatever your opinion support our guys, we still have four games to play

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT