ADVERTISEMENT

Penix done for the season

This is unfortunate and a bad break that hurts us. However, if I remember correctly, Ramsey had very good games against both Penn State and Michigan last year. Ramsey wasn't the reason we lost those games, it was our lack of defense. We really need to keep Ramsey upright and healthy. I don't know what Tuttle can do in the passing game, because he has played most of his time in late game situations where he has handed the ball off as we were more interested in running down the clock rather than generating offense and trying to score.

Not being the reason we lose a game is different from being the reason we win a game.

Now....if Tuttle has to play, that might be the reason we lose a game......but...if things get out of hand against PSU or Michigan, let's see what he can do........

Unfortunately he is one of those players that is a "hurt" guy, for whatever reason they always get saddled by an injury.

you can defend Ramsey without being dense about their differences at the position...

That's an ignorant statement. This year Rasmey has plain put up better numbers. Against tougher competition nonetheless. That's pure fact.

We have a chance to beat Michigan and penn state with Penix. Without him and his NFL strength arm we have a slim chance. That’s how good he is and can be.

Lol Based off what proof? Pure hyperbole? Get outta here

I would agree with this. Different team with him on the field. He's one of the best quarterbacks I saw play this year. A real talent. Deboer is creative and will find a way to score, but Indiana goes from being explosive to creative when Penix leaves the field.

Except for the stats tell a completely different story.

Yeah, we get it, you're an advocate for Peyton Ramsey. Good for you, he deserves support. Heck at the beginning of the season I expected him to be named the starter in game 1 and then see whether Penix's performance merited a change in starters as the season progressed. I supported Peyton, too.

But others who have their own opinions are entitled to have a conversation about those opinions without you crapping all over their posts all the time. So, why don't you let the rest of the posters have their shot without trashing every post saying that IU's offense is qualitatively different when Penix is playing QB? Lots of folks see that very clearly even if you don't. And your denying it won't change that fact . . . even DeBoer and CTA came to the same conclusion others did.

That doesn't diminish Ramsey's importance to this team. We all see that.

The fact is that we can support Penix for what he brings to the team, and can just as easily support Ramsey for what he brings, which is different from what Penix brings. The great thing about IU's QB room is that we have much to support in all 3 of those guys. We don't have to choose one at the expense of the others.

This is tough on Michael. I wish him a speedy recovery. As to the rest of the season the Hoosiers could go 10-2 or 7-6. IU has great depth at QB. There is a lot of football to play.

That's an ignorant statement. This year Rasmey has plain put up better numbers. Against tougher competition nonetheless. That's pure fact.
Which one worries D coordinators more? The answer to that is easy, by the way.

That said, it’s time for everyone else to step up. Injuries happen and they have no choice but to move forward in spite of this sad development.

The offense completely changes with Penix in there. It’s the down field stuff that Ramsey isn’t even in the same league. I love the guy he is a great backup. His short yardage passes are great. Penix set consecutive passing completions. Penix makes us better.

On a day when Penix is done for the year, we don’t need to debate him bs Ramsey but rather celebrate having each.

Penix is a potential NFL talent arm many believe, but he’s had a tough few years of being injury snake bitten.

Ramsey is a better player than he was last year with a more creative OC. The team may rally and Defense May step up. But I likenour odds better against UM than PSU, but you never know in College FB.

As for PU, given their QB situation I think our pass rush can rattle the hell out of him. And win that and I won’t complain about 8-4. Win either other two, beyond cherry on top.

And if Ramsey goes down, Tuttle is a former 4-star recruit. Who knows what he could do if given the reigns. (And in a pinch, I’d love to see Reese Taylor come in and smoke the Boilers!)

Reactions: vesuvius13
First of all I feel badly for Mr. Penix. I wish him a speedy recovery.
I'm not going to sit here and debate Penix vs Ramsey, people have their minds made up already.
My take: Are we better and more dynamic with Penix? No question. The question is how much better are we? I would argue the difference isn't quite as much as people make it out to be but in football a little change can make a big difference.
Also there is no need to wonder hypothetically what might have been with a healthy Michael Penix. Peyton Ramsey is the man now and he is no geek off the street. We can still give Penn St and Michigan a run for their money imo.
I really hope we beat freaking Purdue, a loss to them would leave a terrible taste in my mouth even if we are Bowl Eligible.

Were you in the stands for the Northwestern game? If so, you could not have failed to notice the rather big difference between PR & MP.........much less confident in the pocket, holds on to the ball, more subject to drive-ending sacks, not as good a runner. It's really not debatable.
Total BS...of course he has talent. But what has he done to win games PR has not. Dont give a damn about your impressions...look at the stats dude...no diff...lol

Let me ask you this...of all those long passes, how many did he overthrow? Count 'em...the kid is going to be good...when he gets big enough to play B10 ball...

Reactions: BayernFan
Total BS...of course he has talent. But what has he done to win games PR has not. Dont give a damn about your impressions...look at the stats dude...no diff...lol

Let me ask you this...of all those long passes, how many did he overthrow? Count 'em...the kid is going to be good...when he gets big enough to play B10 ball...
You missed an important stat. PR has been sacked 11 times. Penix 1. Penix has escapability that PR does not. Penix gives us a whole other gear.

You missed an important stat. PR has been sacked 11 times. Penix 1. Penix has escapability that PR does not. Penix gives us a whole other gear.

Why don’t you and YOTHN get a damn room. Peyton is great, and you try to make IU football fans shade him with your comments, when all we’re really doing is stating that Penix is the better talent. Nobody wants to shade PR, but noting that Penix is more talented is simply echoing the coaching staff’s decision to make him the starter over PR. Your passive-aggressive schtick might work on your wife, but it gets you nothing here you jobbers.

Why don’t you and YOTHN get a damn room. Peyton is great, and you try to make IU football fans shade him with your comments, when all we’re really doing is stating that Penix is the better talent. Nobody wants to shade PR, but noting that Penix is more talented is simply echoing the coaching staff’s decision to make him the starter over PR. Your passive-aggressive schtick might work on your wife, but it gets you nothing here you jobbers.
The guy's a couple cans short of a six pack. Don't waste your time.

Reactions: IU Fan 1989
Why don’t you and YOTHN get a damn room. Peyton is great, and you try to make IU football fans shade him with your comments, when all we’re really doing is stating that Penix is the better talent. Nobody wants to shade PR, but noting that Penix is more talented is simply echoing the coaching staff’s decision to make him the starter over PR. Your passive-aggressive schtick might work on your EX WIVES OR GENDERS WE ARE YET UNAWARE OF, but it gets you nothing here you jobbers.
FIFY

The states for Penix? 1 sack. Ramsey has been sacked 11. Penix has a better QBR. More rushing yards and touchdowns. His arm crazy good. We are just seeing the beginning.

Actually Ramsey has more rushing yards. His completion percentage is better. He has 9 TDs to Penix's 10, but has thrown 3 picks to Penix's 4. Penix's longest is 75, Ramsey's 64. Their QB ratings are practically identical, but nowhere near Hale's 842.

Reactions: IUCol
Ramsey is a better QB than he was last year. He is throwing the ball downfield with more confidence. He does hold onto the ball a little longer and throws a different ball than Penix.

Ramsey can put up good numbers. He has to work hard to do what Penix does more easily. No need to get angry. Penix has a bright future and Ramsey has a chance to finish out a good season.

@iubud You are absolutely correct, Ramsey has definitely taken steps forward this year plus he has a better play-caller up in the box in 2019. As far as running goes Penix may have more natural ability but Ramsey I would argue is actually more effective. PR is stronger and more durable and he has broken many long runs in his career, some for TDs. I'm not sure where the idea that Ramsey can't throw the deep ball comes from. Can he throw it 75 yards in the air? No but few can. I have seen him hit at least 6-10 long balls in his career, I am about to make a video compilation of them all. The haters would still come up with some explanation though...

Last edited:
All this debate is good, as fans of IU FB we need to get this out of our system. We’ve just lost our starting QB for the season, and it hurts because we all saw the potential, and production for being a STUD QB. Losing Penix puts a potential damper on the season moving forward.

At the same time, we have a proven excellent QB in Peyton Ramsey. He may not produce in the same manner as Penix, but clearly has other strengths to leading the IU offense.

Luckily we have an improving OL, DL, ball hawking LBs. Up and coming DBs. And our studs in Whop and Stevie.

Not to mention one of the best seasons ever for IU FB. With a damn good chance of winning 1 or 2 more reg season games. And a nice bowl.

I feel bad for Penix most of all. Feel confident in Ramsey, this amazing young team and CTA.

Let’s have fun with the rest of the season. Root like hell for our beloved IU!! Let’s win!

Penix's low sack numbers are a result of the ball getting out much faster. The next two games this is going to be important. The OL is going to have to play well to give Ramsey time if we are to win. The improved running game should help some hopefully. PSU's defense is really fast and Michigan's is very solid. I'm not saying a win or loss is a guarantee with either guy but Penix would give us more cushion IMO.

Takes a lot of force to create this injury. Many vital structures in area, which are not bone. Hope the fix is a good one.

Were you in the stands for the Northwestern game? If so, you could not have failed to notice the rather big difference between PR & MP.........much less confident in the pocket, holds on to the ball, more subject to drive-ending sacks, not as good a runner. It's really not debatable.
and, wins.

Welp 8-4 seems inevitable now
A) That is a bad thing? 8 wins, for IU??
B) If we do end up 8-4, pretty sure it won't be because of the QB. (And if we end up 9-3 or 7-5, it won't be because of the QB. At least not because of poor play by the QB.)

Reactions: HereYouGoIU
OMG...THAT is the important stat...my god you had to fish for that one...hilarious...

Ramsey is a better QB than he was last year. He is throwing the ball downfield with more confidence. He does hold onto the ball a little longer and throws a different ball than Penix.

Ramsey can put up good numbers. He has to work hard to do what Penix does more easily. No need to get angry. Penix has a bright future and Ramsey has a chance to finish out a good season.
Darn good post...the losers are out today...OH no! We CANT win with thatslow inept Ramsay...whay are we to do...call off the bowl...OMG...

If Penix had played against PS...they would have had to carry him out on a stretcher...like last year...get over it people...and arm is great and he will be a good QB IF he puts weight on...which will slow him a bit like Ramsey who is built like a man...but I think Tuttle has a chance to pass him up...once he gets more PT...imo

I hold the staff responsible for believing a kid that skinny could play a starter in B10 ball...I said it all last year too and the summer. He must get bigger and tougher to play, let alone start...imo

Reactions: YOTHN
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT