ADVERTISEMENT

Penix 485 yards 3 TD passes and run for another. 5 minutes left.

Michael now has about 4,300 yards passing this year. His place in the Washington record books is secured.

This is the most damning statistic of Tom Allen's incompetence regarding coaching offensive football.
A career defensive coordinator and defensive position coach who has openly stated many times he needs someone to essentially act as the head coach of the offensive side of the ball doesn't know how to run or coach offensive football or the offensive line (which is the sole difference between our team with Penix and Washington's)? What a stunning indictment and shocking revelation! Next thing you know, you'll be telling me that Kevin Wilson and most offensive coordinators don't know how to run a defense or the first thing about it!

The vast majority of head coaches are not geniuses or particularly competent on both sides of the ball and are generally much better with and have much more understanding of one side of the ball over the other because that is the side they came up through the coaching tree on. This is why assistants and coordinators exist and are important. This is not news, and it is not an "indictment" in any honest assessment.

Michael now has about 4,300 yards passing this year. His place in the Washington record books is secured.

This is the most damning statistic of Tom Allen's incompetence regarding coaching offensive football.
Penix would have made it through a couple games before taking another on the chin for IU and its career ending OL. I'm happy for Penix and glad he made the decision to leave this hell hole.

A career defensive coordinator and defensive position coach who has openly stated many times he needs someone to essentially act as the head coach of the offensive side of the ball doesn't know how to run or coach offensive football or the offensive line (which is the sole difference between our team with Penix and Washington's)? What a stunning indictment and shocking revelation! Next thing you know, you'll be telling me that Kevin Wilson and most offensive coordinators don't know how to run a defense or the first thing about it!

The vast majority of head coaches are not geniuses or particularly competent on both sides of the ball and are generally much better with and have much more understanding of one side of the ball over the other because that is the side they came up through the coaching tree on. This is why assistants and coordinators exist and are important. This is not news, and it is not an "indictment" in any honest assessment.
The vast majority of head coaches don't have $25 million buyouts.

Reactions: IndyIUFan66
Penix would have made it through a couple games before taking another on the chin for IU and its career ending OL. I'm happy for Penix and glad he made the decision to leave this hell hole.
I cannot understand why he is not getting more mention for the Heisman Trophy. His stats are more than worthy. I guess the folks who really know football only live east of the Mississippi and never stay up late enough at night to see how good he is.

I have no issues with him leaving or on Allen for not keeping him here, given that Allen wasn't going to make the changes on the line to protect him.

Also, Allen would have been heavily criticized for going into yet another season relying on Penix staying healthy.

Rushing him back for game 1 last season when he wasn't physically and psychologically ready to play was a major error by CTA and the staff. Not surprising, his teammates all played like they knew this as well.

Looking at his game stats this season, you take out his one off night where they lost a high scoring game, he's definitely invited to the Heisman ceremony.

Penix was/is incredible. We had him for a while. Incredible win over overrated molester U. He’s no longer part of the program. Can we stop bringing him up. It really serves no purpose.
Hey, if not talking about Michael Penix and Kalen DeBoer's fantastic season makes you feel better about this shit show of a Hoosier season. ...... Nah!

I have no issues with him leaving or on Allen for not keeping him here, given that Allen wasn't going to make the changes on the line to protect him.

Also, Allen would have been heavily criticized for going into yet another season relying on Penix staying healthy.
You seem to be missing the point.

Penix is having great season with no injuries to interrupt his play. Unfortunately, the Heisman requires schools to mount Heisman campaigns to get the word out about players to as many Heisman voters as possible. This is especially true for West Coast teams that often have very late games many writers and newspapers in the East miss. It would be great to see him get the recognition to make it to the awards presentation with a shot to win the Heisman.

Reactions: ESalum86
The OL was Allen's greatest failure. By far. Misplaced loyalty to Hiller and failure to see what was happening with OLs and running games around the country. Hiller was in charge of both. Allen will never, ever be able to recruit another QB with the talent of Penix because he proved he didn't care enough about the position to keep the guys playing it relatively safe.

Reactions: 82hoosier
Only sacked 5 times all season…
Thrilled for Penix having a huge year. You combine his quick release and a very solid OL and Penix (and many QB’s) can pick teams apart. But he is a real talent for sure.

Baze “may” have played better if the OL provided great protection. But once he got the yips, he was done, didn’t want to get hit, looked like he did against PU, a lot of 3 & outs.

Reactions: ESalum86 and Jg48
Thrilled for Penix having a huge year. You combine his quick release and a very solid OL and Penix (and many QB’s) can pick teams apart. But he is a real talent for sure.

Baze “may” have played better if the OL provided great protection. But once he got the yips, he was done, didn’t want to get hit, looked like he did against PU, a lot of 3 & outs.
It's hard to imagine that Penix, Tuttle or Bazalak would tell a young QB that IU is the place to be. As for Williams, I didn't see how he got injured, but now that he has shown he can play, the transfer portal may be in his future. Why play for a team where the odds are high that you'll get injured?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT