ADVERTISEMENT

Payton Sparks

I think he realized he was not a power 5 player. Needs his education and Ball State is a fine school. And playing for Lewis perhaps more pleasant than playing for Woodson.

Another terrible effort by Woodson in the portal. Like the kid from Miami, they just sit the bench, aren’t developed to contribute one iota to the team.
I fully expect another fruitless effort this year.

Looking back at the Walker situation......he was athletic and experienced but really lacked basic basketball skills. The key to him contributing was for him to 'play within himself'. Basically, be a garbage guy and run the floor. When he did those things he was pretty effective.

The best example was his 3 shooting. He was a 20% shooter on a decent volume at Miami. I can't imagine why he was allowed to shoot as many as he did there. In any event, I hoped, but did not expect, that Woodson would forbid him to take even open 3s unless the shot clock was a factor. Because...he was a marginal player anyway, and taking 3s would make him a negative contributor. Woodson was somewhat successful with Walker in that he took a smaller % of 3s (still too many) and had a career year with respect to FT %.

Sometimes I think there must be 400 available minutes in a game. From what I’ve read Sparks, Walker, Leal, Gunn and Banks would have developed with more playing time. Giving 11 guys meaningful minutes is a tough task.

Reactions: It Will Do
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT