ADVERTISEMENT

On3 Portal Rankings

I'll say this, I'm bummed Sparks is gone. He was obviously "rough" on offense and tended to clog things up...but I thought the guy played hard and was a very good big body to bang with...which is needed in the B10. I think we're really going to miss him some next year...especially if we don't have KW type of length coming in.

I'll say this, I'm bummed Sparks is gone. He was obviously "rough" on offense and tended to clog things up...but I thought the guy played hard and was a very good big body to bang with...which is needed in the B10. I think we're really going to miss him some next year...especially if we don't have KW type of length coming in.
He came up big in the Louisville win.

I saw him play several games at BSU. They played 4 men out with him as the post. Yes, it was the MAC, but he was a very good scoring post man who over powered guys. And a relentless rebounder. He wasn’t ever looked at as a scoring option at IU. And I get that. We already had 2 better post scoring options. He was getting spot minutes, and his FT shooting was terrible. He looked like a good teammate, despite not playing much. I hope he finds a place where he can have a bigger role.

who are these people you are talking about? people were hopeful he would improve? he obviously didn't, will be interesting to see where he ends up
I often have thought I should have saved those posts because they existed. This summer I will start saving ones that make crazy statements about players.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
I saw him play several games at BSU. They played 4 men out with him as the post. Yes, it was the MAC, but he was a very good scoring post man who over powered guys. And a relentless rebounder. He wasn’t ever looked at as a scoring option at IU. And I get that. We already had 2 better post scoring options. He was getting spot minutes, and his FT shooting was terrible. He looked like a good teammate, despite not playing much. I hope he finds a place where he can have a bigger role.

I thought he'd be more able to adapt his game to the bigger, quicker bodies, but he just looked like a bull in a china shop. He never got any better. The FT thing was weird. If I remember correctly one year at BSU he shot like 70% on FTs, the he dropped to something like 53% the next year. I guess the lower figure was more accurate.

Posting this because I oddly find these portal rankings interesting, and how it progresses over time.

Sparks - 42
Banks - 73
Gunn - 189
Sparks looked totally uncoordinated every time he stepped onto the floor. I don’t even need one hand to count the “good” plays he had. I don’t know what happened to him, but he looked like he completely forgot how to play basketball once he left BSU.

Reactions: Lillyr66
I seriously hope Cupps will go to a MAC school and grow and develop. Woodson didn't help him at all. I dread Galloway and Leal coming back.

I seriously hope Cupps will go to a MAC school and grow and develop. Woodson didn't help him at all. I dread Galloway and Leal coming back.

Don't know what to think of him.

He certainly was an 'effort' guy, which was noticeable on a team where effort was sometimes an issue. He probably put forth the most effort of anyone on the team on D.......yet he was frequently burned.

And his offensive #s were pretty awful for someone who played as much as he did. He averaged 4.8 points and 2.3 assists for every 40M played. 2.3 assists for every 40M played for a 6'1" PG/combo who also doesn't score......yikes. He did end up shooting 36% on 3s, which isn't terrible for a freshman, but he only shot 39, and his BT % was only 32%. And he only hit 37% on 2 pt attempts.

I think you have to recruit over him if he stays, preferably with at least 1 taller PG. If he wants to stay to compete and/for the nil , which apparently out of proportion to his production, that's a good thing because we do need a few kids with good attitudes.....

Reactions: IUbball_lifer
I like Cupps and think he's like an old school RMK player. Mr. basketball from his state, plays hard, is a coach's son, and seems to loyal to IU. We'll see, but I hope he stays and becomes a glue guy.

Reactions: IU2Bgood
I like Cupps and think he's like an old school RMK player. Mr. basketball from his state, plays hard, is a coach's son, and seems to loyal to IU. We'll see, but I hope he stays and becomes a glue guy.
He seems like a decent backup but not so sure his ceiling is much higher. He has a very hard time defending an is not much of an offensive threat at all.

Probably glued to the bench, assuming we find some dynamic guards.

I am not bummed at any of them leaving but Woodson can't develop players. If they don't have nba talent nobody will develop under Woodson. He recruited Banks and wanted Sparks Gunn was Archie's guy but probably the best of the three. When you look the list he has had some major swing and misses.

Michael Dorr
Miller Kopp
JHS
K. Ware
Peyton Sparks
CJ Gunn
Gabe Cupps
Anthony Walker
Xavier Johnson
Kaleb Banks
Makenzie Mgbako
Tamar Bates
Malik Reneau

Posting this because I oddly find these portal rankings interesting, and how it progresses over time.

Sparks - 42
Banks - 73
Gunn - 189

Portal question to anyone who knows..........can these portal guys officially visit while the tourney is on?? I ask because we've expressed interest in a lot of guys but no official visits are scheduled.

Don't know what to think of him.

He certainly was an 'effort' guy, which was noticeable on a team where effort was sometimes an issue. He probably put forth the most effort of anyone on the team on D.......yet he was frequently burned.

And his offensive #s were pretty awful for someone who played as much as he did. He averaged 4.8 points and 2.3 assists for every 40M played. 2.3 assists for every 40M played for a 6'1" PG/combo who also doesn't score......yikes. He did end up shooting 36% on 3s, which isn't terrible for a freshman, but he only shot 39, and his BT % was only 32%. And he only hit 37% on 2 pt attempts.

I think you have to recruit over him if he stays, preferably with at least 1 taller PG. If he wants to stay to compete and/for the nil , which apparently out of proportion to his production, that's a good thing because we do need a few kids with good attitudes.....
Cupps is a really good basketball player, in a more free flowing, movement based system. So many examples of times where he'd push the ball up the floor, make a great read, make an on point skip pass...that would lead to the recipient waiting for Kelel or Malik to post up...or to mechanically come out and set a ball screen and get their zoom action going.

He's never going to be a guy that creates a ton of points for himself. He isn't going to dominate games physically. He's a pesky, disruptive defender. And he's a solid, game managing point guard, that would run a very effective open, cutting and movement based offense.

Honestly, I'm not sure he'll ever get that playing for Woodson, at IU. But I'd HATE to lose him because I think if he were to stay, his last 2 years at IU, with the right coach, could be wonderful for him and for IU.

Cupps is a really good basketball player, in a more free flowing, movement based system. So many examples of times where he'd push the ball up the floor, make a great read, make an on point skip pass...that would lead to the recipient waiting for Kelel or Malik to post up...or to mechanically come out and set a ball screen and get their zoom action going.

He's never going to be a guy that creates a ton of points for himself. He isn't going to dominate games physically. He's a pesky, disruptive defender. And he's a solid, game managing point guard, that would run a very effective open, cutting and movement based offense.

Honestly, I'm not sure he'll ever get that playing for Woodson, at IU. But I'd HATE to lose him because I think if he were to stay, his last 2 years at IU, with the right coach, could be wonderful for him and for IU.
yeah I'm not sure what to make of Cupps and his IU future. I admire how he handled himself getting thrown to the wolves all-to-early in his career when X went down again. But no high P5 team is going places with a point guard who goes multiple games without even scoring a point. His defense is way ahead of his offense. He drifts on his shot (already discussed here many times) and cannot seem to get into the lane off the dribble. So he's fairly easy to cover out on the perimeter. We cannot get over that 'hump' playing 4 on 5 on the offensive side game after game. I think he's a valuable back up PG to have on the bench, but I've yet to see anything to suggest he's a 30 min/game starting PG. He has to develop more offensive threats in his game.

yeah I'm not sure what to make of Cupps and his IU future. I admire how he handled himself getting thrown to the wolves all-to-early in his career when X went down again. But no high P5 team is going places with a point guard who goes multiple games without even scoring a point. His defense is way ahead of his offense. He drifts on his shot (already discussed here many times) and cannot seem to get into the lane off the dribble. So he's fairly easy to cover out on the perimeter. We cannot get over that 'hump' playing 4 on 5 on the offensive side game after game. I think he's a valuable back up PG to have on the bench, but I've yet to see anything to suggest he's a 30 min/game starting PG. He has to develop more offensive threats in his game.
He's the type of guy that would go to a more up tempo, cutting and movement based system, and look like a completely different player.

Under Woody, I fear he'll always look uncomfortable, and all the valid things you point out, will be magnified because there's just not enough opportunity for space and movement for him to tap in to what made him such a good HS and AAU point guard.

He was never going to be a solid post up option at IU. He has no offensive skill and bad hands. He played hard though, which is more than you can say for most IU players these days.

Portal question to anyone who knows..........can these portal guys officially visit while the tourney is on?? I ask because we've expressed interest in a lot of guys but no official visits are scheduled.
The way shit is going with rules changes, guys will be able to switch teams at halftime.

Reactions: FormerRevMatt
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT