ADVERTISEMENT

PayPal Users Beware

HillzHoozier

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Mar 16, 2005
My wife just got scammed out of $110 bucks when she purchased a pair of shoes off the world wide. It was an unfamiliar website, but I suggested she use PayPal just in case. The shoes never arrived, and the seller would not return correspondence.

My wife contacted PayPal to request relief and they told her it would take a week. The case was denied because the seller provided a tracking number which they had stolen online. PayPal said their number nullified our claim, even though it originated the day before my wife made the purchase.

The USPS said this has gotten to be commonplace as scammers take advantage of a loophole in PayPal policy that they have been unable or unwilling to address.

Thankfully we bank with Chase and they have already refunded the money. Just a heads up to the rest of you... because I care ©.

My wife just got scammed out of $110 bucks when she purchased a pair of shoes off the world wide. It was an unfamiliar website, but I suggested she use PayPal just in case. The shoes never arrived, and the seller would not return correspondence.

My wife contacted PayPal to request relief and they told her it would take a week. The case was denied because the seller provided a tracking number which they had stolen online. PayPal said their number nullified our claim, even though it originated the day before my wife made the purchase.

The USPS said this has gotten to be commonplace as scammers take advantage of a loophole in PayPal policy that they have been unable or unwilling to address.

Thankfully we bank with Chase and they have already refunded the money. Just a heads up to the rest of you... because I care ©.

Yeah, the scamming business has exploded with all the lay offs. Chase is really good with their customers regarding the various scams. Unless you’re scamming them, they’ll reimburse you immediately and figure it out later, even if they eat the loss.

Sounds like she’s as smart as you are...

Thanks for the tip!

We're probably all increasing our online ordering volume.

It's not worth shopping at some of the sketchy sites. Due diligence should be mandatory before ordering anything from an unfamiliar site. Luckily, there is a good amount of data and reviews validating or exposing the legitimacy. If there are no reviews, it's likely a scam.

It's not worth shopping at some of the sketchy sites. Due diligence should be mandatory before ordering anything from an unfamiliar site. Luckily, there is a good amount of data and reviews validating or exposing the legitimacy. If there are no reviews, it's likely a scam.
Usually there are tranlation issues and other red flags. This one was well done. Mrs. Hillz loves her Nikes, and loves a discount even more! At least using PayPal hid our personal info from them.

Not surprised you landed in a scammers crosshairs. Seems like you fit their target demographic

Reactions: T.M.P.
Nothing beats buying local with cash

I saw several social media posts how we were being forced into a cashless society and how it was being done by people like Gates.

Or there is just a change shortage for those of us not in tune with the conspiracy of the day

I saw several social media posts how we were being forced into a cashless society and how it was being done by people like Gates.

Or there is just a change shortage for those of us not in tune with the conspiracy of the day
The government wants a cashless society so they know all your bank transactions. They want you to use a credit card for everything. That way they know all bank transactions not just those above a certain number. We took almost all our cash out of the bank (you don't get any interest anyway) over a year ago.

The newest $3.5T Porkulus Bill includes money for a huge increase in IRS hiring.

Many of us have already voluntarily given them access to our accounts by "allowing" them to directly deposit into our account-- of course, if you don't give them permission, they won't send you your refund money.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
The government wants a cashless society so they know all your bank transactions. They want you to use a credit card for everything. That way they know all bank transactions not just those above a certain number. We took almost all our cash out of the bank (you don't get any interest anyway) over a year ago.

The newest $3.5T Porkulus Bill includes money for a huge increase in IRS hiring.

Many of us have already voluntarily given them access to our accounts by "allowing" them to directly deposit into our account-- of course, if you don't give them permission, they won't send you your refund money.
Yep and all those agents will hassle the shit out of the little guys. Where did you move your cash? Dirt account getting ready for a divorce? J/k

Reactions: Spartans9312

My wife got some pants she really liked at a Columbia outlet store and tried to find some online because she wanted some more and the only place that she could find them was on a website colombia.com rather than the columbia.com .... sounded like a scam to me so I said that I didn't think it would be a good idea to order from there.

Yep and all those agents will hassle the shit out of the little guys. Where did you move your cash? Dirt account getting ready for a divorce? J/k
Burl-1.jpg

Reactions: hookyIU1990

Sadly, this is happening a lot. A portion of my work of late is trying to shut these things down, including in the footwear market. Some suggestions as to how to avoid being scammed:
-if someone is trying to sell you namebrand stuff for >50% off retail, it's more than likely a scam (if the brand's own website sells a pair of shoes for $120 and you find another site selling the same shoes for $30, unless they're used shoes it's a scam)
-look carefully at the domain name - anything look odd, such as an extra letter thrown in or an uncommon gTLD (e.g., .store, .work, etc.) see https://www.spamhaus.org/statistics/tlds/
-run a Whois search on the domain name; if it's less than 6 months old and the domain name includes a well-known brand name, it's likely a scam
-if the website sells a large number of seemingly random, unrelated products, there is a very good chance it's a scam (e.g., if the site has a seemingly random domain name and is selling, say, 3-4 models of brand name shoes, a couple different electric guitars, 3-4 different wedding dresses, some power tools, and a variety of kids toys, it's more than likely a scam)
-check the website on one of the many sites out there that track scam sites, including the BBB and sites like: https://www.scampulse.com/

Sadly, this is happening a lot. A portion of my work of late is trying to shut these things down, including in the footwear market. Some suggestions as to how to avoid being scammed:
-if someone is trying to sell you namebrand stuff for >50% off retail, it's more than likely a scam (if the brand's own website sells a pair of shoes for $120 and you find another site selling the same shoes for $30, unless they're used shoes it's a scam)
-look carefully at the domain name - anything look odd, such as an extra letter thrown in or an uncommon gTLD (e.g., .store, .work, etc.) see https://www.spamhaus.org/statistics/tlds/
-run a Whois search on the domain name; if it's less than 6 months old and the domain name includes a well-known brand name, it's likely a scam
-if the website sells a large number of seemingly random, unrelated products, there is a very good chance it's a scam (e.g., if the site has a seemingly random domain name and is selling, say, 3-4 models of brand name shoes, a couple different electric guitars, 3-4 different wedding dresses, some power tools, and a variety of kids toys, it's more than likely a scam)
-check the website on one of the many sites out there that track scam sites, including the BBB and sites like: https://www.scampulse.com/

Would increased penalties help to reduce the swell of these? Or is this all coming from abroad where Federal authorities don't have jurisdiction?

A golf buddy paid off our golf game using PayPal. He sent a substantial amount to someone with my name but it wasn’t me. When he dug into it the account hasn’t been used in years. The money is somewhere in the cloud and PayPal won’t cancel the transaction and credit the money back to his account even though the money hasn’t been claimed on the other end.

Would increased penalties help to reduce the swell of these? Or is this all coming from abroad where Federal authorities don't have jurisdiction?
It's almost all from outside of the U.S. Companies can usually obtain damage awards, sometimes large ones. But they rarely, if ever, collect on them. I think some of these sites probably scam people out of a few thousand dollars total, then move on. It's easy, and cheap, for them to set-up the sites, and there are many web hosting companies (also outside of the U.S.) that are more than happy to look the other way. Cloudflare also does not help matters, as they act as insulation, hiding the true web host. But even when they divulge the actual web host, it's difficult to force that host to shutdown the site. Cloudflare will supposedly take action if you can prove enough people were scammed, but that information is very difficult to compile - most people don't want to divulge that they were scammed or don't want to provide enough information to be useful.

I just read one complaint on a site that reports scam websites. The person paid almost $100 for four pairs of shoes - ~$20 each for a well-known brand of shoes that retail for over $100 a pair. They weren't old models on closeout. They were the current model of shoes. I continue to be surprised that people fall for such things. Then again, people are ingesting horse dewormer for no good reason. ;)

Reactions: stollcpa
A golf buddy paid off our golf game using PayPal. He sent a substantial amount to someone with my name but it wasn’t me. When he dug into it the account hasn’t been used in years. The money is somewhere in the cloud and PayPal won’t cancel the transaction and credit the money back to his account even though the money hasn’t been claimed on the other end.
maybe it's different for friends/personal. when we started using paypal for one of our businesses our money wouldn't be released until we provided tracking and delivery. then it would be released. i don't know how long that lasted but it was a while

maybe it's different for friends/personal. when we started using paypal for one of our businesses our money wouldn't be released until we provided tracking and delivery. then it would be released. i don't know how long that lasted but it was a while
A lot of the scam sites will actually ship product to people, but it's usually something like a pair of $2 sunglasses. They can then show the "product" was shipped and delivered. Your $50 doll house magically turns into $2 sunglasses. Check out the reviews here: https://www.trustpilot.com/review/innrea.com

It takes a lot of unreported cash to trigger the IRS. Since I'm not doing any illegal transactions, I couldn't care less if the government actively tracked my spending. They'd be bored by it.

No one gives AF what you're spending your money on unless you're trying to hide it or do something illegal.

Sounds like she’s as smart as you are...
'This is for my white trash, the ones the whole world hates
The ones who voted for Trump, then got labeled racist but ain't ..
The ones with ball caps, "Make America Great",
Who love their country to death, and struggle on minimum wage..

I like open Gun Laws. I like drunken bar brawls.
I like drinkin' Budweiser. I like smokin' Marlboros.

Drink beers in a lawn chair
Nothin' much goin' on here
Probably get a few long stares
Looks like "you don't belong here"...

Reactions: HooDatGuy
My wife ordered a beach chair online and it arrived but was doll-sized. So, yeah, they can say they sent something and you are screwed. Stick with Amazon. They have always processed refunds with no problems.

Looked up this song...it could be called the whiny victim's anthem.
I would think a patriotic American like you would hate a song by a foreigner calling out the USA.

You wrote that yourself Mas? Pretty impressive if so.

My wife ordered a beach chair online and it arrived but was doll-sized. So, yeah, they can say they sent something and you are screwed. Stick with Amazon. They have always processed refunds with no problems.
There are many reputable sellers besides Amazon, including many located in China. In fact, I am speaking to several thousand Chinese businesses tonight (virtually), explaining to them how to avoid intellectual property issues when engaging in ecommerce in the U.S. No idea how many are attending, but it's part of huge trade show in Guangzhou. These attendees are not the scammers, however. Someone from U.S. Customs is also speaking.

An example of an outstanding ecommerce seller located in China? White2tea is one of the best tea shops in the world. Never had an issue with receiving orders, and the only thing different from ordering on Amazon is that it takes 2-3 weeks to receive. https://white2tea.com/

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Paypal will refund $ sometimes, but you need to be a persistent pain in the ass. Also, most credit cards will issue a credit if you report being scammed - especially American Express. In your case, I would absolutely characterize what happened to your wife as fraud.

• Haha
Reactions: Lucy01
I only use the PayPal option if offered by a reputable retailer.

Reactions: Noodle
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT