ADVERTISEMENT

Our long time SI beat writer likes IUs draw

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/...on-sunday-works-out-well-for-indiana-hoosiers

Indiana got the seed I wanted, the No. 5 seed I wanted to potentially face and the No. 1 seed I want to see in the second week, if it comes to that.

We have no idea how many good games Indiana can play in a row, but I'm telling you right now, this draw sets up for a nice postseason run for the Hoosiers.

The 1 and 5 seed won't matter if we don't TCB in game 1.

This is like on Sat when some here were looking passed PSU.

Reactions: IUgradman and ams66
Miami is a bad matchup for IU, actually a terrible matchup; they are a better Penn State. Fortunately I don't think Miami beats Drake. Miami big man is possibly out and will be very limited in the event he does play.

This is like on Sat when some here were looking passed PSU.
Second time in as many days you've said the same dumb thing. This is a message board. Opinions about potential second or third round matchups have ZERO bearing on how the team plays in the opening round. Turn your brain on.

Reactions: kkott
Second time in as many days you've said the same dumb thing. This is a message board. Opinions about potential second or third round matchups have ZERO bearing on how the team plays in the opening round. Turn your brain on.

Really? You mean what's said here has no bearing on how we play? Can you REALLY prove that, coach? Didn't think so.

And, if it's a message boards, as you say, then my message is this: stop counting your ****ing chickens before they've hatched. No, I don't believe in jinxes. But it's ****ing embarrassing to the rest of us who are sick of getting clowned for 25 years.

Just beat Kent.

I think we got a pretty good draw, overall.

I'm not as worried about the 1 seed draw, as that would mean we're in the Sweet 16...that matchup is icing on the cake for me, honestly. Whether or not Houston is a good draw, likely depends a lot on whether Sasser is able to play. If he doesn't, probably the best possible 1 seed draw, in my opinion. If he does, and is 100%, that changes that to just as tough a matchup as any of them.

Here's the list of 4 and 5 seeds, we could have drawn for the 2nd round games (4's meaning they could have been seeded 5's in our region, or we could have been a 5 in theirs)...Miami, SDSU, Duke, St Mary's, Tennessee, UConn, Virginia. I don't know anything about SDSU, so maybe they'd have been a better draw than Miami? But I wouldn't pick any of the others as teams I'd want to play over Miami. The only pause I'd give that is Miami, with their backcourt, is very capable of getting hot and bombing a bunch of 3s. They've got an Illinois vibe to me... Duke would be an example of a team that doesn't usually play/win that way. But Duke is obviously more talented overall, and they're nuclear hot right now. Tennessee is down an important player, but I still think they're dangerous, and I wouldn't want any part of UConn, St Mary's, or Virginia in the 2nd round.

As far as the 13 seeds go...I think Louisiana and Iona are probably as good, or better, than Kent State. Furman, kind of like a lesser version of Wisconsin, so maybe I'd rather play Furman...but all in all, decent 13 seed draw. They're 13 seeds for a reason...if we play well, we'll beat them.

In the end...if Sasser isn't 100%, I don't think ANY of the first 3 potential opponents are good enough to beat us if we play well for a lot of the game. But with our team, we know its more likely than not, that we'll be uneven and inconsistent.

Good draw overall. Could still lose in first round.

Reactions: kkott and asindc
Really? You mean what's said here has no bearing on how we play? Can you REALLY prove that, coach? Didn't think so.

And, if it's a message boards, as you say, then my message is this: stop counting your ****ing chickens before they've hatched. No, I don't believe in jinxes. But it's ****ing embarrassing to the rest of us who are sick of getting clowned for 25 years.

Just beat Kent.
There is a difference between saying “they’re going to beat Miami” vs. just simply charting out possible later matchups.

Reactions: kkott
As far as the 13 seeds go...I think Louisiana and Iona are probably as good, or better, than Kent State. Furman, kind of like a lesser version of Wisconsin, so maybe I'd rather play Furman...but all in all, decent 13 seed draw. They're 13 seeds for a reason...if we play well, we'll beat them.
Kent State is the highest rated 13 per KenPom. They have the 38th best defense and are also battled tested. Played Houston and Gonzaga both extremely tough on the road.

Kent State is the highest rated 13 per KenPom. They have the 38th best defense and are also battled tested. Played Houston and Gonzaga both extremely tough on the road.
Yeah...certainly Kent State is solid enough to beat us, if we play poorly.

Here's why I don't mind the matchup though, when compared to the other 13's.

In my mind, we're talking about what team can beat us if we play well for 15-20 minutes. Its unfortunate, but at this point, I almost think our team having an uneven, half of the game good, type of performance is more likely than not. So which teams can weather the good play well, and attack and take advantage of the 20 minutes of lower energy, poor on ball defense, poor rotations, overhelping, lack of energy on the boards, etc...

Furman...probably would have been the best matchup here. They're not quite as athletic and play slower, so a little more unlikely they'd have exploited those 20 bad minutes enough to beat us.

Iona...main concern here would have been Pitino. He's one of the best early round coaches in NCAA history. Obviously a lot of that came from teams that had better talent than he has at Iona. But his success implies that he very nearly always his teams ready to play, and that they play well. I think they'd weather Indiana's good play well because of that, and a Pitino coached team would likely jump on the bad IU team I explained above.

Lousiana...of the four 13 seeds, they probably have the highest end talent. I would worry about their big competing well enough during our good 20 minutes, to keep them close. And then their ability to score, and their talent, to beat us during our bad 20 minutes.

Kent State...overall, very, very solid team. In their games against high majors, the games were very slow, physical games. They can obviously beat IU if we don't play well. I just think they likely slow it down and grind it out more when playing better teams. If they do that against us, in a game we don't play well, it probably helps us.

Last edited:
Kent St sure looks like they can score..
Face paced against the Zags ..Slow against Houston..
Game 1 is no gimme...They can easily beat us..

Reactions: IUgradman
They steal the ball a lot (20th in Kenpom, on par with NW and Kansas, not far behind Rutgers), and we get the ball stolen a lot (225th). If we let them disrupt our offense like those 3 teams did, they'll have a real shot at us.

Reactions: IUNorth
Tom Brew? Lmfao. Never trust anyone who is following more people on Twitter than they have followers.

They steal the ball a lot (20th in Kenpom, on par with NW and Kansas, not far behind Rutgers), and we get the ball stolen a lot (225th). If we let them disrupt our offense like those 3 teams did, they'll have a real shot at us.
Yeah...that could be an issue. JHS and Trey are going to be essential in this game. They always are...but if they can effectively set the tone out top defensively, and handle KSU's pressure and get the ball where we want to get it without turning it over...we'll beat them handily.

Reactions: bawlmer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT