ADVERTISEMENT

Our course was totally confusing this morning. Normally, red flags mean

Did the drive-by knifing ever make the paper? I've bee on the edge of my seat for a few days now.

I saw the resident's daughter Sunday evening and asked her whether the police had done anything to the knifer yet. She said they haven't been able to locate him yet.

It's been ranked as one of the 100 top public courses in the country. The State Amateur also is played at Otter Creek something like every other year as well as a national junior tournament. If it remains in the shape it's in now, it might start losing the rights to host those events. It also will no longer be one of the top public courses in the U.S.
Seriously, you can't look at the pin location as you approach the green and adjust your club to the yard markers? It might make a difference on a par 3, but again, most par 3 holes have the pin in view and if it is in the front, I might use a shorter iron. I never trust the written yardage, but I trust the course fairway yardage markers.

It just wouldn't be a big deal to anyone I have ever played with. My son was the #1 golfer for his junior and senior season and always read the course himself. It has worked well enough to get 2 hole in ones before he was 18.

Reactions: dr.jb and twenty02
It makes me take a tentative approach when I'm standing over the ball and am not sure whether I'm hitting the appropriate club. As a result, I seldom hit good approach shots.
As much as you seem to be in bunkers, it seems like you don't hit many good approach shots any way.

Seriously, you can't look at the pin location as you approach the green and adjust your club to the yard markers? It might make a difference on a par 3, but again, most par 3 holes have the pin in view and if it is in the front, I might use a shorter iron. I never trust the written yardage, but I trust the course fairway yardage markers.

It just wouldn't be a big deal to anyone I have ever played with. My son was the #1 golfer for his junior and senior season and always read the course himself. It has worked well enough to get 2 hole in ones before he was 18.

Our greens are huge, so it is difficult to tell whether the pin is in the middle, front or back in many cases. Several of our greens also are on hills and that makes it hard to figure out the depth of the pin. If it is so easy to determine the depth of a pin, why do courses either have red, white and blue flags or charts to help golfers figure out the pin location?

Our greens are huge, so it is difficult to tell whether the pin is in the middle, front or back in many cases. Several of our greens also are on hills and that makes it hard to figure out the depth of the pin. If it is so easy to determine the depth of a pin, why do courses either have red, white and blue flags or charts to help golfers figure out the pin location?

Ok, from just sitting back reading your posts on your golf game, let me give you some advice that will improve your game. RELAX!!! With your handicap I don't care if the greens are as big as Hope Solo's baby tunnel aim for the middle every shot. No way you should be worried about pin placements. Think middle of the green every shot. I can almost guarantee that if you go the range and set out a 8x8 tarp from 150-100 yards and hit 50 balls, 30 won't land on that tarp. That's not a knock on you, it's just the truth.

My dad gave me the best advice ever on a golf course when I was 9 years old. I got upset at a bad shot and kinda pouted, he walked with me up to my bad shot and let me hit the next one. As we were walking to his ball he told me "two things, if you ever act like that again you can't come back. Next thing, you will never be that good to get that mad." You play golf for fun, not for a living. Enjoy it, stop worrying about pins, or slow play, or course conditions.

Ok, from just sitting back reading your posts on your golf game, let me give you some advice that will improve your game. RELAX!!! With your handicap I don't care if the greens are as big as Hope Solo's baby tunnel aim for the middle every shot. No way you should be worried about pin placements. Think middle of the green every shot. I can almost guarantee that if you go the range and set out a 8x8 tarp from 150-100 yards and hit 50 balls, 30 won't land on that tarp. That's not a knock on you, it's just the truth.

My dad gave me the best advice ever on a golf course when I was 9 years old. I got upset at a bad shot and kinda pouted, he walked with me up to my bad shot and let me hit the next one. As we were walking to his ball he told me "two things, if you ever act like that again you can't come back. Next thing, you will never be that good to get that mad." You play golf for fun, not for a living. Enjoy it, stop worrying about pins, or slow play, or course conditions.

That's the thing.....McCheater thinks he's good enough to GAFF.

I mean jesusH....he struggles to get out of the 90's on a course he's played for 30 phuckin' years. Christ....at that point you should just play for fun or find another hobby....you're not ever gonna get better....ever.

And to top it all off.....he thinks we care enough to hear it.....I'd rather fake chow Hope Solo's beef curtains (since she and her mommy parts are the topic).

I don't care how big a green is, as long as there is a pin in the hole with any color flag, I can still pull a club with the right distance. That doesn't mean I will put the ball where I want. If I get that good, I will use a range finder. The flag color is meaningless once I get close enough to the green to actually see it. Experience has taught me how to adjust for hills. I use my brain and my eyes. I certainly wouldn't constantly bother the staff over things like this.

Reactions: jtbarber

Bullshit. The greens at otter creek are not that huge.

You would play much better golf if you played the yardage to the middle of the green every time, but there's a reason your scores don't ever improve. You probably only hit 4 or 5 greens per round, at best anyway.

Reactions: IUecho87 and iubud
That's the thing.....McCheater thinks he's good enough to GAFF.

I mean jesusH....he struggles to get out of the 90's on a course he's played for 30 phuckin' years. Christ....at that point you should just play for fun or find another hobby....you're not ever gonna get better....ever.

And to top it all off.....he thinks we care enough to hear it.....I'd rather fake chow Hope Solo's beef curtains (since she and her mommy parts are the topic).

I have only been a member of Otter three different years: 2009, 2014 and 2016. I am there for the following reasons: it costs about $2,500.00 less a year than my favorite course, it is about eight minutes from my home and I like the guys in my group.

If there was another affordable 18-hole course in Columbus, I probably would join it and leave Otter Creek because it is a highly overrated course. I was talking with a guy in Seymour today and he said he played Otter Creek on Friday afternoon. He said he was telling a guy in the parking lot it was a great course and he felt guilty about it when he saw what pitiful shape it was in Friday. He also noticed how inconsistent the greens are right now.

I have only been a member of Otter three different years: 2009, 2014 and 2016. I am there for the following reasons: it costs about $2,500.00 less a year than my favorite course, it is about eight minutes from my home and I like the guys in my group.

If there was another affordable 18-hole course in Columbus, I probably would join it and leave Otter Creek because it is a highly overrated course. I was talking with a guy in Seymour today and he said he played Otter Creek on Friday afternoon. He said he was telling a guy in the parking lot it was a great course and he felt guilty about it when he saw what pitiful shape it was in Friday. He also noticed how inconsistent the greens are right now.

It's been going downhill for years now. They made a colossal mistake building that east nine back in the 90s.....now they've got 50% more course to maintain, and no extra revenue. They should just close it down entirely.

But there are a lot better courses in the state now, I don't think it's even top 15 public courses in the state, and forget about top 100 public nationally (hasn't been that for at least a decade).

You have some form of mental illness based on your uber focus on your golf game and your perception of the alleged deficiencies regarding Columbus area courses.

You have some form of mental illness based on your uber focus on your golf game and your perception of the alleged deficiencies regarding Columbus area courses.

You're probably right, but our county only has two 18-hole courses. There is a course near Edinburgh that is about 20 minutes from my home. I recently stopped by there, looked at the list of members and only knew a few of them. It has a choose-up on Saturday mornings, but it starts at 11:00. I prefer to tee off around 8:00 on Saturday mornings so I will have time to finish my round by noon and have my afternoons available to mow the grass, watch IU football, etc.

Jackson County just has one 18-hole course and I really like both it and its members. However, there is a shotgun start outing almost every Saturday morning that prevents its members from playing until the afternoon in most cases.

Decatur County has an inexpensive country club that is open to the public. I have considered it, but I know very few of its members.

Jennings County and Brown County each have an 18-hole course, but I don't like those two courses. In fact, I will be surprised if they're still open in another five years.

In other words, I don't have many options. I would prefer to rejoin the local country club, but I hate to spend that kind of money at my age. I would prefer to spend around $2,000.00 a year for a membership and invest the difference.

You're probably right.....

Yes...the first step is to admit you are mentally ill.

....plus you get up at 8:00am to play golf? McCheater, you're 63 and near retirement age.....you need to be banging the wife at that time.....then a relaxing shower to wash off the fish smelling smegma.....some breakfast and then off to the driving range to warm up.....and in a few minutes there's your 11:00am tee time.

Join the course in Edinburgh and quit complaining about Otter Creek. We're all sick of hearing it.

It's been going downhill for years now. They made a colossal mistake building that east nine back in the 90s.....now they've got 50% more course to maintain, and no extra revenue. They should just close it down entirely.

But there are a lot better courses in the state now, I don't think it's even top 15 public courses in the state, and forget about top 100 public nationally (hasn't been that for at least a decade).

Agree that the east 9 was a mistake. It lacks the character of the original 18. I still really enjoy the original 18 but I refuse to pay what they charge. It is so overpriced it is ridiculous. I would rather drive to the Fort and play there for $20-$25 cheaper or Bear Slide and save close to $30.

You're probably right, but our county only has two 18-hole courses. There is a course near Edinburgh that is about 20 minutes from my home. I recently stopped by there, looked at the list of members and only knew a few of them. It has a choose-up on Saturday mornings, but it starts at 11:00. I prefer to tee off around 8:00 on Saturday mornings so I will have time to finish my round by noon and have my afternoons available to mow the grass, watch IU football, etc.

Jackson County just has one 18-hole course and I really like both it and its members. However, there is a shotgun start outing almost every Saturday morning that prevents its members from playing until the afternoon in most cases.

Decatur County has an inexpensive country club that is open to the public. I have considered it, but I know very few of its members.

Jennings County and Brown County each have an 18-hole course, but I don't like those two courses. In fact, I will be surprised if they're still open in another five years.

In other words, I don't have many options. I would prefer to rejoin the local country club, but I hate to spend that kind of money at my age. I would prefer to spend around $2,000.00 a year for a membership and invest the difference.
It sounds like you need to like your course and stop looking for reasons to complain. Play the course in whatever condition it is in and learn to accept that nothing is perfect.
Did they ever catch the knife thrower?

a front pin placement, white represent a middle pin and blue indicate a back pin placement. Not today, though.

At least 10 of the 18 greens had the wrong color flags and they affected our approach shots as a result.

After our round, I asked our head pro about the confusing flags and he said they did them that way for a state girls tournament that began later in the day. In other words, the girls weren't supposed to know the pin locations based upon the color of the flags because they were supposed to use charts provided for them by the staff.

I then asked the pro why nobody mentioned it to us before we teed off and he said it was a mistake on the part of the staff.

Apparently, the Otter Creek staff doesn't learn from its mistakes. A couple of years ago, all of our flags were of changed to ones of uniform color about halfway through our round because there was a women's state tournament that began about an hour after we teed off that morning. I asked the pro at the turn that morning for a chart showing the pin placement on each hole and he got one for me.

Had it been Harrison Lake Country Club hosting those two events, the staff would have made sure we were aware of them and it would have provided us with pin placement charts before we teed off. After all, it really can affect a golfer's approach shots when he is uncertain about the pin placements before hitting his shots.
916530848.gif

Reactions: IU40IU

Time to move to central Florida, Brother McNutt76. They're still using carbon paper down there, so a crafty, young copier salesman like yourself should be able to clean up.

Reactions: Doc Detroit
Agree that the east 9 was a mistake. It lacks the character of the original 18. I still really enjoy the original 18 but I refuse to pay what they charge. It is so overpriced it is ridiculous. I would rather drive to the Fort and play there for $20-$25 cheaper or Bear Slide and save close to $30.

Is it really in that bad of shape? Haven't played it for probably at least 12 years....used to be kept very nice.

There's your problem....you aren't going to find a great conditioned course for a $2k/yr membership....even on a public course. You might find a place that's ok, or even good....but never up to your standards, and never comparable to a private club.

So either pay up for quality, or quit bitching.

You paid like $1800, if I recall...you are getting what you paid for.

Is it really in that bad of shape? Haven't played it for probably at least 12 years....used to be kept very nice.

No. 2 West, which used to be No. 11, has a fairway that has been destroyed by standing water because the staff forgot to open the levee. Several other fairways on the original 18 have fairways with very little grass because of pythium. It is so difficult for me to hit decent shots off those fairways because the ground is rock hard and there is very little grass.

At least two of the greens on the original 18 have pythium. One of them is Alcatraz. The greens are all different speeds. I knew something was wrong in June when we still had what appeared to be poana and that is unusual for that time of year. It eventually has turned into dark circles on the greens and I believe that is what has caused the inconsistent speeds of the greens.

They also need to bag the grass when they mow the driving range tee. Because they're not, there are all kinds of loose grass clippings that get in the way when you try to hit your irons. Those clippings also cling to the bottom of my golf shoes and prevent my soft spikes from being able to provide traction. As a result, I have to use my ball mark fixer to remove the clippings from the bottoms of my shoes before teeing off.

A guy who has won the club championship numerous times was standing next to me on the driving range two or three weeks ago and he was talking to a friend on his right. I heard him say the greens need to be replaced. He also said he was about ready to join Harrison Lake Country Club because the pro shop staff treats him so much better than the ones at Otter Creek.

Otter Creek is an absolute wreck. I've heard several people mention they might join somewhere else next year.

No. 2 West, which used to be No. 11, has a fairway that has been destroyed by standing water because the staff forgot to open the levee. Several other fairways on the original 18 have fairways with very little grass because of pythium. It is so difficult for me to hit decent shots off those fairways because the ground is rock hard and there is very little grass.

At least two of the greens on the original 18 have pythium. One of them is Alcatraz. The greens are all different speeds. I knew something was wrong in June when we still had what appeared to be poana and that is unusual for that time of year. It eventually has turned into dark circles on the greens and I believe that is what has caused the inconsistent speeds of the greens.

They also need to bag the grass when they mow the driving range tee. Because they're not, there are all kinds of loose grass clippings that get in the way when you try to hit your irons. Those clippings also cling to the bottom of my golf shoes and prevent my soft spikes from being able to provide traction. As a result, I have to use my ball mark fixer to remove the clippings from the bottoms of my shoes before teeing off.

A guy who has won the club championship numerous times was standing next to me on the driving range two or three weeks ago and he was talking to a friend on his right. I heard him say the greens need to be replaced. He also said he was about ready to join Harrison Lake Country Club because the pro shop staff treats him so much better than the ones at Otter Creek.

Otter Creek is an absolute wreck. I've heard several people mention they might join somewhere else next year.

Unfortunately not unusual when a city attempts to run/own a golf course. They need to put it up for sale before it gets worse.

Jesus Christ!, you just have to be ****ing shitting me!

How many woods and rescue clubs are in your bag?

Jesus Christ!, you just have to be ****ing shitting me!

He was spoiled by country club golf. Now he's slumming it.

I've been a member at a private club for 5 years now....it's nice...you get treated special and everything is generally nicely manicured.

The bag boys know your car, you drive in and before you're up to the clubhouse your clubs are waiting for you on the cart or push cart with a wet towel and a water. The driving range is stacked with balls to hit as long as you want. On weekends the head pro runs the 1st tee, setting up groups, and a tee time is never needed or made. Etc, etc....

Yet members still bitch about all kinds of shit that's totally absurd. I laugh about their absurd demands. I'm just happy to be out there.

McNutt thinks he's at a country club still, while he's playing a f'n muni course at muni prices. $150/mo....LOL. I haven't had a bar tab for a month less than that on my bill.

@McNutt76 let me give you some info. Otter Creek doesn't want you. They make nothing off people like you. You don't drink. You don't take carts. I'm sure you buy nothing in the pro shop. You give them $0 of marginal revenue. I'm sure HLCC didn't much like you either, for the same reasons.

Golf courses need cart revenue and beer revenue to survive....you give them neither, and bitch while screwing them.

Last edited:
He was spoiled by country club golf. Now he's slumming it.

I've been a member at a private club for 5 years now....it's nice...you get treated special and everything is generally nicely manicured.

The bag boys know your car, you drive in and before you're up to the clubhouse your clubs are waiting for you on the cart or push cart with a wet towel and a water. The driving range is stacked with balls to hit as long as you want. On weekends the head pro runs the 1st tee, setting up groups, and a tee time is never needed or made. Etc, etc....

Yet members still bitch about all kinds of shit that's totally absurd. I laugh about their absurd demands. I'm just happy to be out there.

McNutt thinks he's at a country club still, while he's playing a f'n muni course at muni prices. $150/mo....LOL. I haven't had a bar tab for a month less than that on my bill.

@McNutt76 let me give you some info. Otter Creek doesn't want you. They make nothing off people like you. You don't drink. You don't take carts. I'm sure you buy nothing in the pro shop. You give them $0 of marginal revenue. I'm sure HLCC didn't much like you either, for the same reasons.

Golf courses need cart revenue and beer revenue to survive....you give them neither, and bitch while screwing them.

Believe it or not, I have spent close to $800.00 in the pro shop in less than a year. Since joining Otter Creek at the start of the year, I have bought a new driver, 5 wood, sand wedge, golf bag, umbrella, belt and golf cap. My membership is not just the typical golf-only membership. It also includes unlimited use of the driving range and a locker in the locker room. In other words, I spend about the same amount on my membership as the golfers who have unlimited golf with golf cart. I just have different priorities.

Reactions: twenty02
Believe it or not, I have spent close to $800.00 in the pro shop in less than a year. Since joining Otter Creek at the start of the year, I have bought a new driver, 5 wood, sand wedge, golf bag, umbrella, belt and golf cap. My membership is not just the typical golf-only membership. It also includes unlimited use of the driving range and a locker in the locker room. In other words, I spend about the same amount on my membership as the golfers who have unlimited golf with golf cart. I just have different priorities.
What color is the belt?

mRCtTR1.gif

No. 2 West, which used to be No. 11, has a fair

You've officially lost your mind or you're doing a helluva job trolling this place. You've turned into a sit-com character.

Reactions: IUecho87
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT