ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Will UM be replacing their coach soon?

No revelation knowledge to offer....and isn't needed. The university has benefited financially since it fired RMK. The corresponding commitment to excellence has been absent. So IU has been spending down the stature of the BBall program. The stature is the equity. The once-desired peer programs insist on and practice the commitment to excellence. Repeated mediocre coaching hires aren't tolerated. Thats all the elaboration I care to offer. Nothing particularly new in there. Davis, Crean, Miller and now Woodson. Not a winner amongst them. IU picked them all to lead a once-storied program.

Is that a request or an order? Either way....the answer is the same. IU has been living financially off of the brand for a long time. The only reason it has been tolerated has to be financial satisfaction. Nothing else explains it.
Are you talking about the university? The athletic department? Either way, I'm baffled by this thought process without a little bit of context of what you're talking about.

Are you talking about the university? The athletic department? Either way, I'm baffled by this thought process without a little bit of context of what you're talking about.
He’s not wrong. Knight had almost all the contracts with sponsors. He would divvy up the proceeds/donate how he saw fit. Once they fired him you had to have noticed the billboards change in assembly hall. Knight hated corporate type stuff in there.

You can't separate the athletic dept from the university. Where BBall is concerned...they are siamese twins. I am saying that the basketball program's prestige and stature has been leveraged and mortgaged to the hilt. Who benefits from that? The administration and its accountants. I am also saying that IU has separated itself from its supposed peer programs in what it has been willing to tolerate from a production standpoint....and has done so repeatedly. Not once, not twice...but four times. Somewhere along the line, IU parted company from the likes of UNC, Kansas and Kentucky....in terms of absolute commitment to the success of the basketball program. Furthermore, unless there is a notable change in mindselt...its going to happen again. The easy path is to change who is and is not peer programs. IU more closely resembles Missouri or Pittsburgh than UNC or Kansas....and that resemblance is taking root. All I am saying...is, I notice it.

He’s not wrong. Knight had almost all the contracts with sponsors. He would divvy up the proceeds/donate how he saw fit. Once they fired him you had to have noticed the billboards change in assembly hall. Knight hated corporate type stuff in there.
But to say the university is profiting BECAUSE they got rid of him? Like, I just don't follow the logic one bit.

But to say the university is profiting BECAUSE they got rid of him? Like, I just don't follow the logic one bit.
I don't need to defend myself...but I do need to erase the chalk mark on the chalkboard. I never said IU profited because it fired RMK. I focused on the post-RMK years and how that has played out. I do not believe IU profited by firing RMK...not in the least. I do believe that their business model since has been flawed where the head coach of the BBall program is concerned. One would have expected a "correction" somewhere along the way. My daughter grew up and finished college since then...at Purdue, in case anyone is wondering. IU didn't want her. She's doing just fine.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT