ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Will UM be replacing their coach soon?

Al Bino

All-American
Dec 18, 2001
Reactions: bIhawk
It would appear that Howard has anger issues!

Our new strength and conditioning coach with a son that is a promising pg.

Time to make a change.😉

Not awkward at all. They start to progress next year while we become the first team to finish 18th in the B1G
That’s basically what I was implying—namely, that if those programs get a shot to hire someone this year and IU waits a year, it could make a search next season even more difficult (and the applicant pool more diminished)

could get a tad awkward if both OSU and UM are hiring new coaches this cycle and IU stands pat
That's one of my concerns about this year. It feels like there are a higher number of decent prospects out there, but also a high number of good jobs available (OSU, UM, UL just to start, and then the positions that might open up as those coaches move).

Reactions: CriticArisen
It would appear that Howard has anger issues!

howard - the near 7 foot head coach who thinks fighting is how you act professionally.

he's toast. total meathead.

Yep, I can't imagine any scenario where UM and UL aren't both hiring new coaches and obviously we already know OSU is. If I was Dolson, that would factor into my decision.
Also WVU... gonna be a lot of coaches taking high level gigs this year, and I'll bet at least one becomes really, really good and we'll be thinking, yet again, what might've been!

So..... did Hunter Dickinson see the writing on the wall with this Michigan Team...... or did an NBA Agent secretly get to him and say.... Your Stock is going to drop immensely if you stay with this Michigan Program???

Last edited:
Reactions: bIhawk
Also WVU... gonna be a lot of coaches taking high level gigs this year, and I'll bet at least one becomes really, really good and we'll be thinking, yet again, what might've been!
Have heard rumblings that some USC folks may be ready to make a change too

Not the most prestigious hoops job but still a B1G 10 gig w/ wealthy donors-might appeal to, say, a coach at a smaller school

That's one of my concerns about this year. It feels like there are a higher number of decent prospects out there, but also a high number of good jobs available (OSU, UM, UL just to start, and then the positions that might open up as those coaches move).
Agreed. But after winning the past 2, I get the feeling the fire CMW train has jumped the tracks.

So..... did Hunter Dickinson see the writing on the wall with this Michigan Team...... or did an NBA Agent secretly get to him and say.... Your Stock is going to drop immensely if you stay with this Michigan Program???
NBA? He’s not going to the league!

Harbaugh suspended for cheating, Howard’s slap of the WI coach in the handshake line, and now this. Not a great look for the university.

Ohio State and Michigan are doing the right thing big brands not messing around I wish Indiana would do the same.

Agreed. But after winning the past 2, I get the feeling the fire CMW train has jumped the tracks.
Really shouldn't imo. I've watched both games and seen the same inconsistencies and flaws (save for FTs yesterday) that have been there all season, we just caught 2 opponents that managed to not be able to exploit them enough.

FWIW, I've never believed he would get fired, just that a really good AD would be monitoring things and act if they saw that the problems are systemic in approach and felt they had the guy they believed was "the Guy" in line.

Ohio State and Michigan are doing the right thing big brands not messing around I wish Indiana would do the same.
I agree, but in fairness, Holtman had been at OSU for what, 7 years? And Howard at least 5, and neither were coming off 2 straight NCAA appearances. Not like IU is dawdling here, just that there's enough smoke that a forward thinking and good AD would be asking questions and investigating and possibly making a move, but that would take a really secure and confident AD who can act on his own, and it sounds like that may not be our situation.

Last edited:
Really shouldn't imo. I've watched both games and seen the same inconsistencies and flaws (save for FTs yesterday) that have been there all season, we just caught 2 opponents that managed to not be able to exploit them enough.

FWIW, I've never believed he would get fired, just that a really good AD would be monitoring things and act if they saw that the problems are systemic in approach and felt they had the guy they believed was "the Guy" in line.
agree.....and let's not schedule a team parade for the past 2 games. Wisky is reeling right now and MD is a team with 3 good players and an overall bad roster (sound familiar?) who couldn't hit shots yesterday. Our next game up in the Barn will be very difficult. We never play well there and Minny is putting together a pretty good season (better than ours).

I always thought the only way Dolson could justify running off CMW was with an absolutely ugly end to the season...ie, we lost out, finished well under .500, and immediately saw a lineup mass defection. I believe the last may still happen at the end of the season,, but CMW has avoided the ugliness of losing out and stopped the bleeding for now. He'll be coaching IU next year unless he, himself, decides to step down.

Unfortunately, I still don't think he is the right guy, and we'll be having this same discussion again in 10-12 months......IU bball just cannot get out of its own way.

Ohio State was 16-19 and 5-15 last year and they brought Holtmann back (had made the tournament every year prior), but don't give me this BS about doing the right things. Holtmann's best year was year #1. The rest were mid.

CMW can lose the remainder of the games...he's still coming back. Those two games were a conversation piece...not much else. The university has been milking the equity out of the BBall program for decades. While the tradition is an empty shell...the bank account is fat and sassy.

CMW can lose the remainder of the games...he's still coming back. Those two games were a conversation piece...not much else. The university has been milking the equity out of the BBall program for decades. While the tradition is an empty shell...the bank account is fat and sassy.
They are on an eventual crash course with reality if nothing changes. The old guard like us, who still crave for IU to return to blueblood status....are getting older. Most of today's youth don't see IU basketball like we do. It is already hurting recruiting, and eventually it will hurt the fan base head count, major donors willing to shell out large NIL funds for little return, and then it will hurt attendance. Which will hurt revenues, profit ..AND that bank account. But it's a very slowly leak and I'm starting to think I'll be long gone before we ever again see IU playing on that final Monday night of the big tourney.

They are on an eventual crash course with reality if nothing changes. The old guard like us, who still crave for IU to return to blueblood status....are getting older. Most of today's youth don't see IU basketball like we do. It is already hurting recruiting, and eventually it will hurt the fan base head count, major donors willing to shell out large NIL funds for little return, and then it will hurt attendance. Which will hurt revenues, profit ..AND that bank account. But it's a very slowly leak and I'm starting to think I'll be long gone before we ever again see IU playing on that final Monday night of the big tourney.
This bank account being great talk isn’t correct if you just estimate the key revenue areas.

A 10% decline in donations and attendance is $3-4M. If we are bad next year, it’s likely our fans pull back on donations and going to games.

Then there is the opportunity cost. If IU were winning B1G titles and challenging for final fours (basically the opposite of us now), revenue could easily increase $10M+ ($2M game day with all sellouts, $1M merch with people excited, $1-2M sponsors who like a winner and all the impressions from our large fanbase, $5M+ donations increase isn’t much for our 1-2 million fans).

There is a reason colleges invest in sports. If you’re good there is a lot of $ to make. IU leaves a lot of the table by not being good.

This bank account being great talk isn’t correct if you just estimate the key revenue areas.

A 10% decline in donations and attendance is $3-4M. If we are bad next year, it’s likely our fans pull back on donations and going to games.

Then there is the opportunity cost. If IU were winning B1G titles and challenging for final fours (basically the opposite of us now), revenue could easily increase $10M+ ($2M game day with all sellouts, $1M merch with people excited, $1-2M sponsors who like a winner and all the impressions from our large fanbase, $5M+ donations increase isn’t much for our 1-2 million fans).

There is a reason colleges invest in sports. If you’re good there is a lot of $ to make. IU leaves a lot of the table by not being good.
valid points.

Either CMW hits the jackpot in the portal, or we're having these same discussions next season, while the program is drowning in mediocracy. And with the B1G expansion, things will only get more difficult.

Long term, I still don't like rebuilding a team every year via portal and NIL purchases. It leaves the team with very little IU program identity. No offense to Ware or MM but if they leave after this year...in 5 yrs I probably won't even remember their names.

valid points.

Either CMW hits the jackpot in the portal, or we're having these same discussions next season, while the program is drowning in mediocracy. And with the B1G expansion, things will only get more difficult.

Long term, I still don't like rebuilding a team every year via portal and NIL purchases. It leaves the team with very little IU program identity. No offense to Ware or MM but if they leave after this year...in 5 yrs I probably won't even remember their names.
Totally agree.

I think we are gonna keep MM with that Cook NIL $. Woody had his back all year, he did improve, and he could make more at IU than in the G-League. I could see Woody selling him on one more year to become a pick. With him back and MR and McNeely and some 10ppg portal guard, we have got potential for a 10-12 seed. That’s sort of Woody’s level, and then we can have a huge fight about him keeping his job. Can’t wait.

Totally agree.

I think we are gonna keep MM with that Cook NIL $. Woody had his back all year, he did improve, and he could make more at IU than in the G-League. I could see Woody selling him on one more year to become a pick. With him back and MR and McNeely and some 10ppg portal guard, we have got potential for a 10-12 seed. That’s sort of Woody’s level, and then we can have a huge fight about him keeping his job. Can’t wait.
Yeah if MM stays, and works all summer, and we get an experienced PG with size/quickness and can hit 3s and FTs and get into the lane if needed....AND, MR stays and keeps working....and McNeely stays on board, and couple decent bench players.....next year could be better. But a lot of "ANDs" have to break in our favor.

all it took was 2 wins...and 2 nice weekend days....and sun is shining again for me. At least, for the moment.

Reactions: Tammany Hall
Yeah if MM stays, and works all summer, and we get an experienced PG with size/quickness and can hit 3s and FTs and get into the lane if needed....AND, MR stays and keeps working....and McNeely stays on board, and couple decent bench players.....next year could be better. But a lot of "ANDs" have to break in our favor.

all it took was 2 wins...and 2 nice weekend days....and sun is shining again for me. At least, for the moment.
Agree that wins at this point are too little too late as far as any tournament hopes are concerned. But you would have had to forecast this season by saying JHS is gone AND X is injured most of the season AND Newton misses the entire season AND Gunn contributes nothing AND Banks contributes nothing.... a lot of ANDs broke against us this year.

The JHS departure also shows there are limits to the incentives a college program can offer. He could have earned big NIL dollars here this year and had a showcase role on the team but chose to enter the draft anyway.

Ohio State was 16-19 and 5-15 last year and they brought Holtmann back (had made the tournament every year prior), but don't give me this BS about doing the right things. Holtmann's best year was year #1. The rest were mid.
It's year 3 and Woodson has our program in the dumpster has one recruit and probably has to add atleast 5 portal guys man I can't wait for 2025.

I agree, but in fairness, Holtman had been at OSU for what, 7 years? And Howard at least 5, and neither were coming off 2 straight NCAA appearances. Not like IU is dawdling here, just that there's enough smoke that a forward thinking and good AD would be asking questions and investigating and possibly making a move, but that would take a really secure and confident AD who can act on his own, and it sounds like that may not be our situation.
To be fair Holtmann was 66-34 three straight ncaa tournaments first 3 years and also big ten coach of the year in 2018.

Howard was 51-32 first 3 years sweet sixteen and elite 8. Big ten coach of the year 2021. Also 3 straight years in tournament.

Woodson is going the wrong direction year 3 and the roster will be depleted in 2025.

You have no idea if Dolson is or isn’t doing any of that. And if you DID know, because he was sloppy and it leaked, or god forbid he actually said it out loud to the press, he would be doing his job poorly.

You have no idea if Dolson is or isn’t doing any of that. And if you DID know, because he was sloppy and it leaked, or god forbid he actually said it out loud to the press, he would be doing his job poorly.
True, but how often have you heard so much reference to the BOTs when a coach at another school is on the hot seat or let go? It never occured to me the BOT might get involved in a coaching decision until this all blew up. Don't think there was any discussion about the BOT at OSU before Holtman was let go, that's generally how it goes.

True, but how often have you heard so much reference to the BOTs when a coach at another school is on the hot seat or let go? It never occured to me the BOT might get involved in a coaching decision until this all blew up. Don't think there was any discussion about the BOT at OSU before Holtman was let go, that's generally how it goes.
The BOT should not be involved, I would guess at most schools is not, except perhaps to rubber-stamp the final contract agreement. Most trustees have no experience in athletics administration or coaching and aren't really qualified to evaluate or recommend candidates

The BOT should not be involved, I would guess at most schools is not, except perhaps to rubber-stamp the final contract agreement. Most trustees have no experience in athletics administration or coaching and aren't really qualified to evaluate or recommend candidates
I agree, but that's not how it feels from all the comments I hear, and not just on a fan board like this, but also from reporters, analysts and podcasters.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT