ADVERTISEMENT

OT PGA/LIV MERGE

Should be cool. Obviously lots of questions to answer about the whole "blood money" angle, and how they're reconciling that.

But practically, if done correctly, bringing the LIV guys back is a positive, and also potentially implementing some of the cool LIV concepts into PGA tournaments and broadcasts could be very cool too.

No clue if this is representative of other golf fans...but I know just seeing these articles is reenergizing my interest in professional golf.

I doubt this will ultimately be a good thing. Golf may become more like wrestling. Or, Formula 1 on Uber-steroids.
Its definitely going to change some things...not sure it ends up anywhere near the current WWE feel the LIV events have, but there will be fundamental changes to professional golf, I'm sure. Mainly though, this is about talent retention, and about money. The LIV things I would guess are most likely to be heavily considered, with some eventually adopted...

-54 hole events...and then backfilling Wednesday/Thursdays with a combination of higher profile Pro/Am events similar to AT&T, but also prime time skills challenge type events as well.
-Lighter tournament schedule requirements per player...this is becoming an issue for a lot of the top PGA players already. Probably some sort of blend between the LIV requirements and the PGA requirements. Rory being fined 3M bucks for missing a tournament, right after the Masters, was the kiss of death for the current PGA schedule requirements.
-ENORMOUS purses for the top 5-10 events...Majors plus a handful of other tournaments will have crazy big purses.
-More guaranteed spots, that include salaries/guaranteed money...they've already started this. It'll be come formalized, and there will be more money fed into the feeder leagues as well.

I'm not sure the team model that LIV has will end up sticking. If it does, I'd look for it to be more closely modeled to auto racing teams, as you mentioned. With a team owner...Golf patriarch type guys like Tiger, Phil, Norman, Els, etc... that also have A LOT of money, could be team owners. Maybe equipment brands? Or maybe there are just more team competitions like the Ryder Cup, and they're just setup more like FIFA/FIBA or something?

In the end...I think LIV will just fade away, left with the important remnants that LIV caused all this change with. The new name will be very much PGA focused. What will end up remaining from LIV are the handful of elements they brought that players loved...and most importantly, the Saudi money.

Agree. But look at all the money the Saudis will be pouring into this new arrangement. It’s inevitable that big changes are in the future. Just as with NIL and the portal I bet a lot of people are going to say, “Whoa!”

Reactions: stollcpa
Agree. But look at all the money the Saudis will be pouring into this new arrangement. It’s inevitable that big changes are in the future. Just as with NIL and the portal I bet a lot of people are going to say, “Whoa!”

Look at how the Saudis completely control the price of gas thanks to us.

PGA stars that stayed going to get big payday.

If true, would love to know how these payouts are structured and the business case for it. This is a very bad look for the PGA. The last 24 hours on Twitter have been entertaining. This deal / merger feels “dirty” and greed / money is at its core. Will be interesting to see if Jack has anything to say on it.

did anyone see this coming? I thought it was AI bullshite at first yesterday. Cannot believe how quickly this transpired, especially after Brooks winning PGA and then all the tit/tat going on with Phil, Rory, Chamblee....gonna be a lot of awkward moments in the locker room soon.

did anyone see this coming? I thought it was AI bullshite at first yesterday. Cannot believe how quickly this transpired, especially after Brooks winning PGA and then all the tit/tat going on with Phil, Rory, Chamblee....gonna be a lot of awkward moments in the locker room soon.
Is the video of what you reference with Rory, Phil and Chamblee on YouTube? Will do some searching looking for entertainment and will post / share in this thread.

Is the video of what you reference with Rory, Phil and Chamblee on YouTube? Will do some searching looking for entertainment and will post / share in this thread.
most of what I've read has been in news reports online....Rory and Phil just can't keep their mouths shut, and Chamblee....well.....IMHO he has a much higher value of his own opinion than what is justified. Comes off as a bit of an elitist prick and PGA puppet.

This all began because the guy I once worshiped- Greg Norman, has a serious axe to grind with Jay Monahan or someone at the top of the PGA totem pole. There's enough blame to be shared on both sides.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Including anyone who had $$ on him to win when he was leading in the final round. 😁
yep. He was the victim of some bad luck but his collapse at the 96 Masters was painful. Like watching a wounded animal slowly bleed out and die over 4 hours.

I rooted again him in 86 during Jack's historic run on the back side (shooting a 30 on the back at Augusta- on Sunday- is insane, especially at age 46..teeing off the old persimmon woods) but figured Norman would win his share of green jackets in future years.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
most of what I've read has been in news reports online....Rory and Phil just can't keep their mouths shut, and Chamblee....well.....IMHO he has a much higher value of his own opinion than what is justified. Comes off as a bit of an elitist prick and PGA puppet.

This all began because the guy I once worshiped- Greg Norman, has a serious axe to grind with Jay Monahan or someone at the top of the PGA totem pole. There's enough blame to be shared on both sides.
Excellent take and do not disagree with any of it. Chamblee oozes elitism and classic country club prick attitude and demeanor. Both sides are getting exactly what they asked for. The entire thing is entertaining and equally pathetic at the same time.

Excellent take and do not disagree with any of it. Chamblee oozes elitism and classic country club prick attitude and demeanor. Both sides are getting exactly what they asked for. The entire thing is entertaining and equally pathetic at the same time.
Monohan better hope that Tiger, Rory, Rahm, etc... don't decide to take their dimpled balls and go home. There's a group of probably about 10 top PGA golfers that very, very easily could end Monohans career. And end this whole deal, I suspect.

Monohan better hope that Tiger, Rory, Rahm, etc... don't decide to take their dimpled balls and go home. There's a group of probably about 10 top PGA golfers that very, very easily could end Monohans career. And end this whole deal, I suspect.
Monohan is the useful idiot. He will serve at the pleasure of al-Rumayyan until he's of no more use to PIF or underperforms in some way, such as losing the guys you mentioned.

i admit to not knowing anything about this.

one question though, how much did/will Monahan pocket on this?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT