ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Looks like IN will have another D1 basketball school

D II Men’s BB final four finalist ‘19-20 And ‘20-21.
… tough market with MVC D1 U of Evansville Purple Aces in the same city.

Bruce Pearl was there in the mid 90s. He won big and did wonders for their program. Much more success than U of Evansville.

D II Men’s BB final four finalist ‘19-20 And ‘20-21.
… tough market with MVC D1 U of Evansville Purple aces in the same city.
UE won't be D1 much longer. They have a coach they want to fire, but as they have done in other sports, will have to wait for contracts to run out.

USI will draw more fans than UE next year. UE has been discussing DIII options for the last few years.

UE won't be D1 much longer. They have a coach they want to fire, but as they have done in other sports, will have to wait for contracts to run out.

USI will draw more fans than UE next year. UE has been discussing DIII options for the last few years.
Maybe UE should have kept Jim Crews after all.

Reactions: Dugger-Hoosier

I have not lived in southern indiana in a long time. Sorry to hear U of E is having trouble.

The OVC has held their conference tournament in Eville the last few years, but I was told it is not the only opportunity. I've heard the Horizon mentioned a few times today.
Heard that too about the HL, but it looks like the OVC is pushing hard for USI

Bruce Pearl was there in the mid 90s. He won big and did wonders for their program. Much more success than U of Evansville.
I always remembered Kentucky Wesleyan kicking their ass. Seemed like they had Pearl's number.

Ray Harper was a better coach, but Pearl usually had better talent. They were pretty even and made a good rivalry.
Ray Harper was 20 and 10 against Southern Indiana I don't think all of them were against "The Bruce". Several years they played 4 times home and away GLVC final and NCAA Region Final. It was a war and drew great Evansville and Owensboro crowds.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spartans9312
Heard that too about the HL, but it looks like the OVC is pushing hard for USI
OVC is the more natural, regional fit for USI than the Horizon league. (Much shorter bus rides).

OVC

SCHOOLCONFCPCT.CONF. HOMECONF. AWAYCONF. STREAKOVERALLPCT.HOMEAWAYNEUTRALSTREAK
Murray State12-01.0007-05-0W1222-20.91713-07-12-1W12
Morehead State11-10.9177-04-1W319-60.76012-06-61-0W3
Belmont10-20.8334-16-1W620-50.8009-19-32-1W6
Southeast Missouri5-50.5004-11-4W110-130.4357-33-80-2W1
Tennessee State5-70.4173-32-4W110-140.4176-44-90-1W1
UT Martin4-80.3332-52-3L18-160.3335-62-91-1L1
Austin Peay3-80.2731-42-4L37-140.3333-44-100-0L3
Tennessee Tech3-80.2732-41-4W16-180.2505-61-110-1W1
Eastern Illinois2-80.2001-41-4L24-190.1743-61-120-1L2
SIUE1-90.1000-31-6L87-160.3044-33-110-2L8

Horizon

SCHOOL NAMECONFOVERALLSTREAK
CLEVELAND STATE12-216-5W2
OAKLAND9-316-7L2
WRIGHT STATE11-414-10W3
NORTHERN KENTUCKY8-512-10L1
DETROIT MERCY6-49-11W1
YOUNGSTOWN STATE8-614-10W4
PURDUE FORT WAYNE8-613-10W2
MILWAUKEE5-107-17L5
UIC4-88-13L1
ROBERT MORRIS4-106-17W1
GREEN BAY3-104-18L5
IUPUI0-102-19L2

Way back when … it was UE’s Jerry Sloan v. SIU’s Walt ‘Clyde the Glide’ Frazier … in D II clashes.
Both played in the NBA, UE was a common D II champion then, when the D II championships were held at Evansville’s Robert’s Municipal Stadium, annually.

Last edited:

Agree. Can't imagine a city the size of Evansville supporting 2 DI programs. UE has been losing money for years in athletics. They had a nice run in the Crews years, but time to move to a more realistic Division.

Maybe UE should have kept Jim Crews after all.
If RMK would have left IU in the mid 90s (when he says he should have), no doubt that Crews would have been a serious candidate to replace him-maybe the favorite at that time. I think Crews wanted the job too because he left in 2002, when Mike Davis was riding high and looked like the right fit.

I'd say UE is headed for D2 or D3 very soon. They stayed with Crews too long 25+ years ago while Pearl was playing exciting ball and winning the D2 title at USI.

UE AD and President were in lock step with the IU BOT/Herbert in "How to torpedo a basketball program". No clue out of both groups!

I'd say UE is headed for D2 or D3 very soon. They stayed with Crews too long 25+ years ago while Pearl was playing exciting ball and winning the D2 title at USI.
Crews really mishandled Parish Casebier and all his "issues", which I always thought was the turning point of his UE career. Things went south after that.

I don't think that USI is close yet to the success of the Aces over history. Of course there is a lot of history for the Aces to tap into for comparison. They used to draw really nice crowds to their games.

I went to USI before it was USI so good to see they are progressing even if the roles of them being DIV-1 and UE being Div 2 reverse if it comes to that. How big is the school now? Do they have a nice arena? I have been gone for a long time.

I don't think that USI is close yet to the success of the Aces over history. Of course there is a lot of history for the Aces to tap into for comparison. They used to draw really nice crowds to their games.

I went to USI before it was USI so good to see they are progressing even if the roles of them being DIV-1 and UE being Div 2 reverse if it comes to that. How big is the school now? Do they have a nice arena? I have been gone for a long time.
Wasn't it formerly known as ISU-E? Indiana State U @ Evansville. They became USI mid 80s maybe?

Reactions: wi_hoosier
No they weren't, but from about '88-'93 UE had some great years. The old Roberts Stadium would really get rockin for a good MCC game like St. Louis or Xavier.
Yep and beat a heavily favored Oregon State in the first round of the 1989 dance before losing to eventual runner-up Seton Hall in a close one.

The arena is brand new. Pretty nice too. Says about 10,000 undergrads.

Reactions: Hatchets7times
Yep and beat a heavily favored Oregon State in the first round of the 1989 dance before losing to eventual runner-up Seton Hall in a close one.
I remember watching the end of that game. Reed Crafton hit a deep 3 for the go ahead bucket very late.

Way back when … it was UE’s Jerry Sloan v. SIU’s Walt ‘Clyde the Glide’ Frazier … in D II clashes.
Both played in the NBA, UE was a common D II champion then, when the D II championships were held at Evansville’s Robert’s Municipal Stadium, annually.

i was in Carbondale 2-3 summers ago, and got into a discussion with a real estate agent and SIU grad there.

she told me SIU didn't have half the number of students anymore they once did, and that many smaller universities suffered the same fate.

when i got home i started looking up some stats on other smaller universities, and found she was correct.

imagine the financial impact on non big city smaller state school college towns like Carbondale, Edwardsville, Terre Haute, Muncie, and literally hundreds of other towns in the US, that Bernie's free tuition at public schools would have.

not only a zillion more college teaching and administrative positions, but hundreds of smaller towns and cities in the country getting a massive financial boost from the added students, helping all the merchants and service providers and tax bases in those places.

not only would it have a huge positive financial impact on the students themselves, but also would have a huge positive financial impact on a hundred plus smaller state school towns and cities in the country, and largely those most in need of a boost.

the IUs and PUs and OSUs and UKs and UCLAs are already full enrollments with little to no room to grow.

so the smaller state schools who have plenty of room to grow just to hit their past enrollment numbers, plus some extra, often in hard hit smaller communities, would get virtually all of the added enrollment, which would mean many many more good paying teaching and administrative jobs in those schools, thus towns, and many more other jobs and revenues for those towns as well, from the merchant to the pizza place to the hospitality industries, not to mention a more educated employee base for corporate and smaller employers, and educated health care workers for our hospitals and health care providers.

Hell of a arena during basketball games, it’s way bigger in person
Saw our Hatchet girls play there.
I give it the thumbs up..I'm also a music fan and seen concerts all over America in big time arenas..
It was done well..Maybe gone to 7500 on capacity..

In terms of talent/potential, half the schools in D1 don't belong there. Like so many other schools (like Evansville) that made the decision to move up, USI is destined to be a distant also-ran/wannabe, because they have essentially zero chance of ever 'competing' for a national title.

Must be about money - recall the 'glory days' of Purple Aces BB when they were actually competing/known for something other than obscurity/futility (their recent smackdown of uK nothwithstanding).

In terms of talent/potential, half the schools in D1 don't belong there. Like so many other schools (like Evansville) that made the decision to move up, USI is destined to be a distant also-ran/wannabe, because they have essentially zero chance of ever 'competing' for a national title.

Must be about money - recall the 'glory days' of Purple Aces BB when they were actually competing/known for something other than obscurity/futility (their recent smackdown of uK nothwithstanding).
Definitely a risk. It will create excitement.

Reactions: TomEric4756
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT