ADVERTISEMENT

Oct. 1 First day to Officially Enter the Transfer Portal:

How come our guys who left after a few games aren't raked over the coals like the UNLV kid? Aren't they pretty much the same thing? Other than the no. of snaps and the UNLV guy may have had a case about not getting paid.

Reactions: vesuvius13
How come our guys who left after a few games aren't raked over the coals like the UNLV kid? Aren't they pretty much the same thing? Other than the no. of snaps and the UNLV guy may have had a case about not getting paid.
I think the UNLV kid was raked over the coals because he said he was doing it solely due to money. These are not starters and aren't doing it based on money. Or at least one would surmise.

They weren't key guys who were Team Leaders on the field, who for whatever reason were stuck in situations where it was clear they weren't going to see any real playing time as a starter (outside of Special Teams)... Only one of them (McDaniel) was even in the 3 deep chart if Our Lads is to be believed... Half of them were starters (even Team captains) at lower tier schools before arriving so leaving to see a real shot at PT again made sense on a personal level... The rest were, at best, scout team players only...

I don't like it to a degree due to the hit Special Teams and depth takes but I can understand it... I'd feel differently if a key starter just decided to move on...

Sooo..., completely different dynamic from the starting QB quitting mid season, in my opinion...

I'm just saying this is probably happening all over the country, guys leaving their team and saving a redshirt.
And there's no reason to say the UNLV kid owed his school any more than any other kid who's pulling the exact same stunt.
In fact, if the UNLV kid is telling the truth, he has an even better case to hit the road, if they reneged on a deal. It cost him significant money and (if his side is true) screwed him. Third teamers can't even make that case. Especially if they also had a NIL deal and it was paid.
Not bagging on our guys at all. I wish them well. Hope they find a spot.

OK - my OT crap is over. Sorry to veer the thread off. Back on topic...

I'm just saying this is probably happening all over the country, guys leaving their team and saving a redshirt.
And there's no reason to say the UNLV kid owed his school any more than any other kid who's pulling the exact same stunt.
In fact, if the UNLV kid is telling the truth, he has an even better case to hit the road, if they reneged on a deal. It cost him significant money and (if his side is true) screwed him. Third teamers can't even make that case. Especially if they also had a NIL deal and it was paid.
Not bagging on our guys at all. I wish them well. Hope they find a spot.

OK - my OT crap is over. Sorry to veer the thread off. Back on topic...

Well..., personally I don't think they ought to have a mid season Portal option...period... I'd have one post Bowl games and one in late May, but no one asked me (and no one will)... This midseason stuff is nuts..., in my opinion...

Nice. Takes the money, doesn’t meet the challenging from coach, bolts.

Would bet a large sum he ends up a Boilermaker. Seems that type.

What are the specifics of that deal? Do we know or just assuming/guessing?
Yeah, dunno. Just saying he was paid or he doesn't return from the portal last winter when other schools were known to be bidding. Per Cig last winter when discussing him being back in the fold, 'word on the street was Florida State'.

So, while he may be doing something different, to me it looks like - 'get paid to train, get bigger, stronger, faster, then take a redshirt year, leaving Indiana'.

I'm speculating. I can't knock him without facts. Speculating.

Reactions: 76-1
Would bet a large sum he ends up a Boilermaker. Seems that type.

I don't know if that is the in cards here. But if it were, that would be the best-case scenario. We already get to teach Joshua Sales a lesson. If D-Mac wants in on that punishment, by all means! All we need to do is tell him he needs to work harder and he will fold.

Yeah, dunno. Just saying he was paid or he doesn't return from the portal last winter when other schools were known to be bidding. Per Cig last winter when discussing him being back in the fold, 'word on the street was Florida State'.

So, while he may be doing something different, to me it looks like - 'get paid to train, get bigger, stronger, faster, then take a redshirt year, leaving Indiana'.

I'm speculating. I can't knock him without facts. Speculating.
Kentucky and Michigan were after him the hardest, visited them both. also had an in-home with Purdue.

He has a redshirt available if he stops playing right now. He's played in 4 of IU's 5 games, if he were to play another snap this year his college eligibility would be over at the conclusion of the season. Given that McCulley isn't in the rotation makes sense to redshirt and use his last year elsewhere next season. Could have theoretically redshirted at IU this year as well.

Reactions: red hornet and 76-1

He has a redshirt available if he stops playing right now. He's played in 4 of IU's 5 games, if he were to play another snap this year his college eligibility would be over at the conclusion of the season. Given that McCulley isn't in the rotation makes sense to redshirt and use his last year elsewhere next season. Could have theoretically redshirted at IU this year
I am aware of that. That's why I said get paid to train, get stronger, faster, coached up. Then leave, taking a redshirt year.

Shitty.

I know it makes sense, if he wants to maximize earnings along with pro potential, at the expense of other things.

Reactions: red hornet
Kentucky and Michigan were after him the hardest, visited them both. also had an in-home with Purdue.

He has a redshirt available if he stops playing right now. He's played in 4 of IU's 5 games, if he were to play another snap this year his college eligibility would be over at the conclusion of the season. Given that McCulley isn't in the rotation makes sense to redshirt and use his last year elsewhere next season. Could have theoretically redshirted at IU this year as well.
If he wants to be assured of playing time he might be better off dropping to a lower level. Maybe MAC conference. If he's as good as he thinks he is, the pros will find him.

Do we get our money back? Or, at least prorated over 4 games? I’m totally serious. I have no clue how these guys are paid? Lump sum, quarterly, monthly, weekly, by game? Please enlighten this old codger.

Do we get our money back? Or, at least prorated over 4 games? I’m totally serious. I have no clue how these guys are paid? Lump sum, quarterly, monthly, weekly, by game? Please enlighten this old codger.
Doesn’t matter. It was already allocated. Won’t hurt next up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT