ADVERTISEMENT

OT - IU Men’s Soccer Advances in NCAA Tournament

rikki-tikka-tava

All-American
Jul 17, 2002

And look who comes to Bill Armstrong this Sunday-Marshall-the team that broke our hearts in the 2020 title game.

Marshall has grown men from overseas on their team that year. Hope that is not as much the case this year.
Glancing at their current roster, it is still loaded with international players from everywhere: Brazil, Japan, Europe. Going to be a tough game.

Glancing at their current roster, it is still loaded with international players from everywhere: Brazil, Japan, Europe. Going to be a tough game.
Interesting philosophical question. A sports writer, about ten years ago, wrote an article that the small university in my town had 50% of the tennis players from a foreign country. Of the last 50%, all but one were out of state. The question is "who should the state's tax dollars be educating"?
I see both sides.

Pretty sure that team had a few 24-26 year olds on that team. This year, they have like 70% foreign players
I'm not saying this is comparing apples to apples, but my good friend coaches a national power JC cross country team. He let his administration know he has no interest in recruiting a bunch of Kenyan runners just to dominate. It simply was not a model he wants to follow just to win.

Not sure the answer, but it would be nice if there was some kind of limit in soccer.

Reactions: Cutter1973
I'm not saying this is comparing apples to apples, but my good friend coaches a national power JC cross country team. He let his administration know he has no interest in recruiting a bunch of Kenyan runners just to dominate. It simply was not a model he wants to follow just to win.

Not sure the answer, but it would be nice if there was some kind of limit in soccer.
Surprised Marshall’s Coach hasn’t been poached yet by a bigger school. But I do love the parity in College Soccer

Pretty sure that team had a few 24-26 year olds on that team. This year, they have like 70% foreign players
Thought I'd pop over to see what the competition was saying. Our '20 team actually wasn't as old as most might think, I remember doing the age average and I think it came out to 21 and some change, with our oldest players being Semmle and Robert's.

Nonetheless we are heavily international, that's Grassie's MO along with the build from the back scheme - a lot more teams are starting to pick up on that. Grassie has publicly said he would love to get more American talent in the mix, but when Marshall shows up to the developmental academies (Fire, Crew, etc.) it's too hard to beat out the blue bloods like Indiana, UNC, Stanford, etc.

Surprised Marshall’s Coach hasn’t been poached yet by a bigger school. But I do love the parity in College Soccer

A lot of us are too. Not that we haven't lost him to another school, since we made him a top 5 paid coach - but that we haven't lost him to the pros.

Grassie's resume is wildly familiar to that of Caleb Porters during his time at Akron - without the instant success. Charlotte FC's President or whatever is also a Marshall Grad with a tight relationship with Grassie, and when Marshall went on that '20 run they were looking for their first HC.. really thought he might get a look. But Grassie and his family really love WV. He's been here since college.

I think Japanese baseball allows one american per team

Thought I'd pop over to see what the competition was saying. Our '20 team actually wasn't as old as most might think, I remember doing the age average and I think it came out to 21 and some change, with our oldest players being Semmle and Robert's.

Nonetheless we are heavily international, that's Grassie's MO along with the build from the back scheme - a lot more teams are starting to pick up on that. Grassie has publicly said he would love to get more American talent in the mix, but when Marshall shows up to the developmental academies (Fire, Crew, etc.) it's too hard to beat out the blue bloods like Indiana, UNC, Stanford, etc.

A lot of us are too. Not that we haven't lost him to another school, since we made him a top 5 paid coach - but that we haven't lost him to the pros.

Grassie's resume is wildly familiar to that of Caleb Porters during his time at Akron - without the instant success. Charlotte FC's President or whatever is also a Marshall Grad with a tight relationship with Grassie, and when Marshall went on that '20 run they were looking for their first HC.. really thought he might get a look. But Grassie and his family really love WV. He's been here since college.
How much of that '20/'21 team is still on the roster this year? I'm assuming a number of key guys graduated/went pro.

A JC XC team can't afford to fully scholarship a bunch of Kenyan runners... If they could they'd follow a different model

How can this be? Big Red Crimson Hoosier told a us on 11/06, University of Maryland soccer was greater than Indiana University soccer & that IU was not even the best soccer program in the BIG. IU made the Sweet 16 in men's soccer this year & University of Maryland did not make the Sweet 16.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
How can this be? Big Red Crimson Hoosier told a us on 11/06, University of Maryland soccer was greater than Indiana University soccer & that IU was not even the best soccer program in the BIG. IU made the Sweet 16 in men's soccer this year & University of Maryland did not make the Sweet 16.
Don’t forget we have been in it for 8 years straight

Reactions: BattleCreekHoosier
Don't worry. Whenever IU is eliminated from the tournament, he'll show up calling it "another Yeagley Jr. choke job" and moaning about how the program isn't as good as it once was. That's all he does is complain.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT